Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

Comments

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    I'm glad there are three sides. So tired of these MMOs where all races are in bed with each other. Kills the whole world feel of the game. Let's get some pride for our sides and go to battle@!

What? Almost every game is centered around factional conflict. Horde vs. Alliance, Empire vs. Republic, and on and on. All everyone cares about on this forum is getting powerful and doing battle online. Tamriel would of been a great world to explore semi-peacefully. I mean, there's plenty of evil denizens to defeat in Tamriel going off of past series of TES games. We don't need to butcher the IP to force artificial conflict between races to make the game interesting. That's what I hated about WAR. The PvP was fun, but everything was about fighting. Every square inch of that game was a battlefield. 

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by maddog15a
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Dantae87

i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw.

Once I heard factions I knew it was downhill from there because if a company is willing to make one drastic change from the IP, they will be making others, and they have. Closed faction areas, Races limited to factions, PvP limited to PvP zones, Lore changes...this is just DaoC 2 in a TES skin.

Considering there is nothing in the lore that prohibts factions and multiplayer TES has never been done before then I would say you are wrong because we have no history of lore that far back (when the game is set) so for all intents and purposes ESO is crafting the lore that fits within an unknown time frame in Tamriel.

Being a DAoC 2 is jsut more icing on the cake that this game is gonna kick ass.

Actualy we have alot of lore that far back(thanks to many of the in-game books) its only 1000 years before Oblivion roughly in the 2nd era of the empire.  TES lore is pretty stong all the way till the Nords arive on Tamriel shores, only before that does the lore get alittle bit thin.

And while there is nothing that prohibts factions in the lore, the factions made in TESO make no sense and only serve to support the daoc pvp.  Its sad that ZeniMax didn't have enough faith in the TES ip to try something bold and new.  Instead they borrowed so much from daoc that it might as well be called daoc 2, just like swtor might aswell be called WoW in space.

As an ex-archaeologist, I can tell you that odd little departures from expected history crop up all the times in dynasties of ancient civilisations. Considering the period the game will effectively cover is mere years (and not too many of those) it is not outside of the realms of possibility that a period of general strife and odd alliances could have occurred, and been largely obscured by the damage of conflict and the selectiveness of historians.

However, the thing one cannot escape is the idea of there being a whole glut of 3 month 'Mayfly Emperors' called 'Pownage' and 'Lego Lass'.

I don't know about you - but I rarely encounter PvP junkies with sensible IC names and cringe at the prospect of being ruled over by someone with no idea how to RP the position...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Then you play wow type games where the "pvp junkies" are arena / battlegriund types.
  • FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by george99
    It worked in DAoC and I loved it so going to say this is an improvement over most games with pvp...

Ys I don't see any problem with it, as long as every faction area is big and entertaining enough, and you can make characters from every faction.

Faction lock won't neccessarily make or break the game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I probably wouldn't care initially, but maybe later on when I want to stretch my wings.  However, I know a friend of mine has completely lost interest (and nearly her very mind) at this news after spending months trying to convince me it would be more seamless than GW2.
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by nate1980
    I'm glad there are three sides. So tired of these MMOs where all races are in bed with each other. Kills the whole world feel of the game. Let's get some pride for our sides and go to battle@!

What? Almost every game is centered around factional conflict. Horde vs. Alliance, Empire vs. Republic, and on and on. All everyone cares about on this forum is getting powerful and doing battle online. Tamriel would of been a great world to explore semi-peacefully. I mean, there's plenty of evil denizens to defeat in Tamriel going off of past series of TES games. We don't need to butcher the IP to force artificial conflict between races to make the game interesting. That's what I hated about WAR. The PvP was fun, but everything was about fighting. Every square inch of that game was a battlefield. 

And what is wrong with that? Ha :P not all games need to cater to what you want. I personally loved that aspect of WAR, but its understandable that not everyone would agree. At what point do devs need to say, we are going to make a game the way we invisioned it, even if that means not every single person in the world is going to enjoy it? They want three faction war, this is great IMO. Very few games do it and even better that they make each locked to their own area. We need variety, not more of the same. MMO industry is finally "getting it" and developers are trying things because they want to, not just to cater to the masses and get as much money as they can before they go stale.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Faction locks are actually attractive to me and have peeked my interest more.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by nate1980

And what is wrong with that? Ha :P not all games need to cater to what you want. I personally loved that aspect of WAR, but its understandable that not everyone would agree. At what point do devs need to say, we are going to make a game the way we invisioned it, even if that means not every single person in the world is going to enjoy it? They want three faction war, this is great IMO. Very few games do it and even better that they make each locked to their own area. We need variety, not more of the same. MMO industry is finally "getting it" and developers are trying things because they want to, not just to cater to the masses and get as much money as they can before they go stale.

The last time any developer has made a game like that was Vanguard, and we all know how that turned out. So don't act like we're getting our fair share of games too. However, I do agree that developers should build their vision like they did in the old days, and player feedback be damned.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I play games since I was 4 or 5. Games were awesome until players started to have an opinion lol...

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    I play games since I was 4 or 5. Games were awesome until players started to have an opinion lol...

Games was getting dull, lacks of originality and clone to hell, that is why so many gamers started to voice out their opinion, bro.

But still not many devs have listen to players feedback.

Worst still, gamer still support bad devs.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by xmenty

Games was getting dull, lacks of originality and clone to hell, that is why so many gamers started to voice out their opinion, bro.

But still not many devs have listen to players feedback.

Worst still, gamer still support bad devs.

LOL, I agree with you.  I don't think it's the gamers that support them as much as producers and publishers.  They'll hype it all to hell and players just fall in line.   Developers keep trying to make MMOs by mimicking what's popular instead of getting to the basics of game design.  Innovation in the MMO genre is just recycled systems from other games.   You just can't recreate trends, you must stumble upon them.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Dantae87

This guy offers a good suggestion on what could have been done to address this issue at 2:40 in his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZxZH1L4eAw

well for usre it turned me off and the worst is that in one of their dev blogs they mentioned a better way than this guy in the above link, where you could choose stance to be part of your faction and join the war with the restriction to be hunted in other faction lands, to be a pacifist and just explore the world, or to be a mercenary and change sides but loosing the faction rewards ... and guess what they still focus on this faction lock the devs...

huge turn off for me this state and their mega-smart server makes me worry also ... take care before you become fan of this game  ...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but this game looks to me very much like DAoC II except set in a different IP. And that's what I like about it.

Realm vs. Realm is not open world PvP--never was. DAoC had three separate and distinct PVE areas and the border war zones. RvR always was a consensual thing, not something some snot-nosed griefer forces on you. And there was quite a bit of realm pride. You didn't necesarily like everyone in your home land and there was some in-fighting between competing guilds and alliances of guilds. But when push came to shove, you put your differences aside and tried to kick the other realms' asses.

And the segregation in locked factions had something to do with this. Your chosen faction's lands felt like home. The other guys... "they" were aliens from some place you'd never been to. You were also locked to one faction per server to make spying a bit tougher--it happened anyways with 2nd accounts and major offensives were organized on a need to know basis (never trust the chatty level 1 image) but that was also part of the design channeling you to your "home."

It could also be that players were different 10 years ago, idk... hope not. I hope it's still possible to generate that kind of feeling of being part of a virtual country in an MMO again because that was a huge part of the DAoC appeal. That was what made it unique among its peers back in the day and still today.

Current well-populated MMOs--WOW and its clones-- are all about a bunch of individuals with little if any faction pride, solo-questing and power-grouping to the level cap and then trying to outdo each other with the unique mounts, pets and gear: it's just a free for all, every man for himself vanity environment.

The parts of TESO development that interest me the most are the little touches that enhance and segregate the thre factions: those are good things. Faction lock is part of that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

nope it hasnt, just like in wow was faction locked and 2 class faction locked wich it should have been always.

this faction lock make you have feel of belonging to somewhere, if you can swap around be in all factions you dont belong anywhere. so i do hope in future after this game is released they dont remove the faction lock.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by m0lly

nope it hasnt, just like in wow was faction locked and 2 class faction locked wich it should have been always.

this faction lock make you have feel of belonging to somewhere, if you can swap around be in all factions you dont belong anywhere. so i do hope in future after this game is released they dont remove the faction lock.

Hmmm.

As it is currently, to see the rest of the game world you HAVE to create 2 alts, 1 for each of the other 2 factions. The designers are the ones encouraging faction hoping my createing alts. Upon creation you have NO choice in being a part of the faction or not.

But if you were given the option to choose a Great house people would know you CHOSE that House. With unlocked borders you would n't have to create alts in other factions to see the rest of the game.

And as an example, with faction locks, my Orc is forced to fight along side the redguard and Bretons who he sees as his mortal enemies and is unable to join forces with and help either of the other 2 factions that are killing his enemy.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Hmmm.

As it is currently, to see the rest of the game world you HAVE to create 2 alts, 1 for each of the other 2 factions. The designers are the ones encouraging faction hoping my createing alts. Upon creation you have NO choice in being a part of the faction or not.

But if you were given the option to choose a Great house people would know you CHOSE that House. With unlocked borders you would n't have to create alts in other factions to see the rest of the game.

And as an example, with faction locks, my Orc is forced to fight along side the redguard and Bretons who he sees as his mortal enemies and is unable to join forces with and help either of the other 2 factions that are killing his enemy.

Your idea could work, There are many other games in development with the same idea of a chaotic environment with many mini-factions going their own separate ways... most of those call themselves "sandboxes." This isn't one of those.

Funny thing about alts... after many years of on again, off again WOW play, I don't think I ever got any Horde alt higher than 20 but I have about 10 Alliance alts 60+... I guess I like to pick a side and stick with it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Hmmm.

You must have missed the part where Orcs pledged their alligiance to the Daggerfall because Bretons make their homeland a province of the empire. You know... finally orcs are not animals! They said they would join if the Breton king did this and let Orsinium be... so he did, so you're friends now. Not "mortal enemies".

Now... rp wise, seriously... an orc fighting next to a dark elf? Or worse... a nord? A high elf?

Nords are pure racists and elves (both of them) consider orcs mere beasts (they could have chariots pulled by orcs or orcs grinding the wheat, thats how much consideration they have for orcs... orcs, cows, horses same thing)... least the King needs you, he considers orcs to be "brave warriors and smithers".

As an orc, be glad you have an alliance to protect you, because it was either that or be decimated by all 3 - no one else would take you in. So, log your orc and say to yourself "wow I'm just glad I have a land to walk on... hell I'm glad I still have two legs to walk this land with - thanks Breton people or else people playing Skyrim would only find Orc fossils"

Lorewise, the most divided of the three alliances is the Ebonheart: Dark Elves - are above everyone else, Nords despise everybody else, and argonians simply hate everybody else, hide in swamps and say YOU NO COME HERE (personally I'd rather die alone than having an orc in my ranks). This is by far the most interesting mix... specially since there are dark elf houses that didnt even join the pact. 

Game wise... its just like the other poster said: "faction lock make you have feel of belonging to somewhere, if you can swap around be in all factions you dont belong anywhere"

This is the reason... no mingling with the enemy, theres no kind of emotional connection between you and the enemy - the enemy is just to be demonized and killed for it since you and your faction are the ones who are right - you dont know or care what the other faction has to say - and this kind of "realm pride" can only be achieved if you only meet your enemy in the battlefield... not when they're feeding their children collecting flowers. Their land is not your business the same as your land is not theirs. You join a faction because you identify with their "convictions" not because you want to be an elf or an orc. Its a personal choice... who do you identify yourself more with? Now from there, and only then you should choose everything else, like race for instance.

I think games are not "played from the heart" anymore... its all based on "do I look a wimp or badass" and then comes "now which race has the best stats for whatever". This is not a competition... its a game - people just lost the RP on mmorpgs. Or mmorpgs arent about RP anymore, specially after wow. When speaking of wow for instance I only have one comment - Horde Paladins? Really? Wow... enough said.

I hope this time the squeeking wheel doesnt get the grease as it usually happens and also usually destroys games.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

LOL wow this game is just getting worse by the minute. Lackluster visuals, robotic animations, "soft-lock" target based combat system (which none of the previous TES games had), social networking integration (lol really?), overabundance of lore articles but nothing in regards to gameplay, and now this: faction-locked system. Yep, a bright future indeed!

To be fair, we've yet to test the beta to see how the game is really like. But I'll have to lower my expectations drastically...

Game wise... its just like the other poster said: "faction lock make you have feel of belonging to somewhere, if you can swap around be in all factions you dont belong anywhere"

I will address the rest of your post but please, can everyone stop regurgitating this shit....

The developers have designed the game so that to be able to explore the 'Entire continent of Tamriel at last' you have to create 2 alts, 1 for each of the other 2 factions.

The game designers have designed the game so that changing faction is actually the best way to play the game...

Having 1 single character without any restrictions on exploration outside the PvP area.....I repeat OUTSIDE THE PvP AREA....encourages people to play 1 character. Having exploration restricted encourages alts...REALLY encourages alts.

STOP WITH THIS SHITTY LOGIC! 

Another point...I join a faction because I want to, not because I created a Breton and have no choice in what faction I can play as a Breton.

Would you rather have slaves on your side or volunteers?

Originally posted by PongLenis
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy

LOL wow this game is just getting worse by the minute. Lackluster visuals, robotic animations, "soft-lock" target based combat system (which none of the previous TES games had), social networking integration (lol really?), overabundance of lore articles but nothing in regards to gameplay, and now this: faction-locked system. Yep, a bright future indeed!

To be fair, we've yet to test the beta to see how the game is really like. But I'll have to lower my expectations drastically...

Lies, none of what you said is true.  Links to that footage? Ya didn't think so.

Link the footage proving he is false....

What question? You made a statement you didn't ask a question.

well see below for links to counter your statement...still waiting to find out what your question was...

Lies, none of what you said is true.  Links to that footage? Ya didn't think so.

For "lackluster visuals" and "robotic animations", simply look at the videos posted on the official TESO site. No need to link to that since I assume you know how to work with the Internet.

For "soft-lcok target based combat system", check this out: 

For "social networking integration", check this: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/news/page/1/read/26439/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Socially-Connected-on-a-New-Level.html

For "overabundance of lore articles", just review this list: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/news

And obviously, faction locked system, well, you're in the thread that has this info, so happy hunting! =)

For "lackluster visuals" and "robotic animations", simply look at the videos posted on the official TESO site. No need to link to that since I assume you know how to work with the Internet.

For "soft-lcok target based combat system", check this out: 

For "social networking integration", check this: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/news/page/1/read/26439/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Socially-Connected-on-a-New-Level.html

For "overabundance of lore articles", just review this list: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/news

And obviously, faction locked system, well, you're in the thread that has this info, so happy hunting! =)

I just watched those links and as I knew the animations looked fine and not robotic or clunky. Half man, Half amazing I am....

More like someone wearing rose-colored glasses. It's okay, you can deny it. We've all done it at some point . In either case, who am I to judge, so if you like the game as-is then more power to you, sir!

I will address the rest of your post but please, can everyone stop regurgitating this shit....

The developers have designed the game so that to be able to explore the 'Entire continent of Tamriel at last' you have to create 2 alts, 1 for each of the other 2 factions.

The game designers have designed the game so that changing faction is actually the best way to play the game...

Having 1 single character without any restrictions on exploration outside the PvP area.....I repeat OUTSIDE THE PvP AREA....encourages people to play 1 character. Having exploration restricted encourages alts...REALLY encourages alts.

STOP WITH THIS SHITTY LOGIC! 

Both are valid. Both are true.

Its like the Megaserver thing. It servers 2 purposes: 1. It keeps everyone close to eachother, everyone connected in the same server, friends yadda yada... what the devs said, PLUS 2. If population drops you dont have to "merge servers" which is always a tough pill to swallow and makes the game look bad, shows the game is not doing well, lack of population etc etc ( see WAR for example).

Everything has two sides. Its nature's first rule.