Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

Comments

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    Originally posted by Grunch
    People need to realize this game is going to be more of a DAoC 2 then Elder Scrolls. To me this is very good because DAoC was awesome and I can't wait for ESO to release.

Exactly.

Hate on, haters. There will always be Archeage for you. But dont worry, i for one wont miss you in TESO :)

The Elder Scrolls Online.

Say it again then ask yourself, is calling someone who loves The Elder Scrolls series of games a hater because the game is more DAOC2 then TES really your level of social skills and intellect?

No because back in its early days DAoC was better. For an online environment end game ORvR will keep the people excited far longer then boring sleep inducing dull boring pve. 3 Faction PvP and ORvR is where its at bro.

Also you will probably only be locked to a faction on that specific server. I'm sure you will be able to log into another server and role a toon on another faction so BOOM there you go faction unlocked son.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Like I said on another thread that was closed:

"This is one of the best news I've heard about TES Online!!!!

Omg it IS DAOC 2 AFTER ALL!!!! Thanks Zenimax!!!! Really.

Thats how DAoC worked and that was the perfect formula. Why? Because in games like WoW 2 things happen - one you go by your enemy and nothing happens - I'm mining he's fighting mobs - which makes no sense - or high levels come and kill all lowbies which just ruins the fun and creates a bad feeling in people, specially kids, that think "When I'm high level I'll just come here and kill everyone also".

Now with this kind of lock in place, if you want to pve you're in your homeland... its fine. And if you want to pvp you have level bracket persistant battlegrounds like DAoC and you go there for that purpose. Or you can PvE there but you know the risks. You could pve in battlegrounds and frontiers of DAoC but... well there were consequences if the enemy faction showed up.

Plus be assured that, in this "locked model" if you cross anyone from the opposing factions its NOT to collect herbs or mine a node near you its just to kill you - no friendly "oh hes mining let him be" mode... advice if you're playing TES and if you see anyone that isnt from your faction, kill them - strike first.

The motto of DAoC is back - RED IS DEAD."

Plus imagine you live in Britain and you're at war with denmark, norway, germany and france... even if you wanted to see the alps or the black forest, would you risk it and go there? Would you even get near the alps or close to the black forest? No... Would you, as a brit cross path with a german that was going to "check out London and move up to stonehenge"? No...

This is why faction lock is awesome.

If you want to explore the other faction's cities or lands... reroll... its still a game. You couldnt reroll in RL to see Berlin...

In DAoC I loved the feeling when the first time you saw a different faction race was actually a moment of tension, because we both knew we werent looking at someone who is just "going by"... nop, sometimes you took your time to look at eachother true, because you've never seen a living kobold or a firbolg before... then well you'd just kill them (or the other way around).

"Red is dead" is back and I love zenimax for it!

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Don't give a fuck.

Gameplay elements are far more important in MMORPG than some stupid RACE/GENDER/FACTION locks.

sory,  are you mean on MMO-SHOOTER-G ,not mmorpg   ?

It is why are not playing it as TES online game,just I ll be focused on PvP only

I am sure for most rpg players TES is sinonim for absoluty freedom

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Yeah, but I think the real issue isn't that the former (and even current?) DaoC players are going to have a successor to the game they love but that Elder Scrolls players aren't necessarily getting the online game they thought they would be getting.

As in another thread, the OP posted that players are complaining because they never tasted the "awesomness" of DAoC yet never once does he mention anything elder scrolls.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    No, If anything it will be good for the game. We have enough games where your choices don't matter, let's have one where it does.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

No because back in its early days DAoC was better. For an online environment end game ORvR will keep the people excited far longer then boring sleep inducing dull boring pve. 3 Faction PvP and ORvR is where was at bro.
    Fixed that for you "bro".

Also you will probably only be locked to a faction on that specific server. I'm sure you will be able to log into another server and role a toon on another faction so BOOM there you go faction unlocked son.
    1 Server Confirmed.

Probably only comes with 1 character slot too... (Cash shop expandable maybe?)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I hate needing an ALT to see everything. I want ONE character, and I want to go EVERYWHERE.

´nuff said

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Nitth

No because back in its early days DAoC was better. For an online environment end game ORvR will keep the people excited far longer then boring sleep inducing dull boring pve. 3 Faction PvP and ORvR is where was at bro.

Fixed that for you "bro".

1 Server Confirmed.

Probably only comes with 1 character slot too... (Cash shop expandable maybe?)

Now we are just making stuff up to bash the game?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i think they should keep the pvp in cyrodil, but let everyone wander around the whole map as friendly. Its not going to affect the lore. You dont see elves attacking you on sight in any TES game jsut because you are a norn.

let everyone explore all maps without conflict. You want pvp, go to cyrodil, but dont lock maps to factions.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i think they should keep the pvp in cyrodil, but let everyone wander around the whole map as friendly. Its not going to affect the lore. You dont see elves attacking you on sight in any TES game jsut because you are a norn.

let everyone explore all maps without conflict. You want pvp, go to cyrodil, but dont lock maps to factions.

This is a pretty good idea. Worth looking into for them.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by FromHell

I hate needing an ALT to see everything. I want ONE character, and I want to go EVERYWHERE.

´nuff said

I would have to say I agree with you.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

If i and my friends get faction seperated because we have different appearance favors for certain gear or skin color, we don't bother with the game.

Since i haven't seen the FULL Character Editor and played around with it myself. I can't say yet.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

While I do think me and my friends may have different preferences in what race we might like to play, it is normally a fleeting issue and we settle on group.

In the larger scope, I think it is a good choice to segment the factions with things which make them unique past fluff or a name.  Racial differences and conflict fit well into any world design.  It's an aspect of someone which cannot be changed and thus is a base part of forging bonds based on something in common.

So many games attempt to appeal to everyone so much so the game itself is watered down; everyone is like everyone else.  So it is nice developers may be swinging back to designing games with the game in mind and not appeasing everyone's whims.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Yeah, but I think the real issue isn't that the former (and even current?) DaoC players are going to have a successor to the game they love but that Elder Scrolls players aren't necessarily getting the online game they thought they would be getting.

As in another thread, the OP posted that players are complaining because they never tasted the "awesomness" of DAoC yet never once does he mention anything elder scrolls.

Ok, fair enough BUT...

If they never tried DAoC and The Elder Scrolls was never an mmorpg, what kind of game were "TES players" thinking they would be getting and what grounds did they even have to think anything about a TES mmo?

The grounds are "current mmos" mixed with "TES lore"... like WoW meets TES. Which would be a disaster and a good way to ruin the TES series.

When it comes to this issue, I was a daoc player since beta and Im a tes player since TES2 daggerfall and I cant come up with a better game that fits the TES series as an mmorpg than DAoC.

People only know the "new mmos"... which to be honest, they're all kinda bad... apart from The Secret World that is in a class of its own - but the rest is rather quite the same thing with different art. And if most people are only exposed to the latest crap fest that have been mmos since 2004, then they have no idea how this new mmo concept would hurt The Elder Scrolls... but they might have an idea if they take a look at WAR or SWTOR...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    But you wouldn't do that one one character anyway.

If they made the game pve anywhere to start with they would make less pve full stop, because they wouldn't need it.

If they magically flipped a switch now, you Still wouldn't play all the content, because you would end up out leveling it.

Stop thinking in terms of a typical themepark mmo, where they give each faction a starter area, but most of the world is shared. Then think they just split that in 3. Daoc was its own beast really, you could loosely call it a themepark but it worked very differently, you had in effect 3 pve worlds. TESO will be like if you took vanilla rifts world, then made another 2 worlds entirely new and gave them to each faction.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    This is where not having played the RPGs comes in handy because faction lock doesn't matter to me at all. Or maybe it actually increases my interest since that's how DAOC handled having 3 sided RvR.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The majority of people who play video games do not play computer games.

The majority of people who play computer games do not play MMOs

The majority of people who play MMOs want nothing to do with PVP

The majority of people who play PVP MMOs want open world PVP.

The majority of people who play open world PVP want nothing to do with a WOW clone.

If you read the forums, the majority of people who critisize TESO do so because it reminds them of WOW.  The same themepark MMO they have been tryin got shove down our throats for the past seven years.  This game manages to insult just about every fanbase at one.  There has been so much negativity about this game from the second it was announced, there is no way it can overcome the anti-hype.

Why model this game around DAOC....a game that at the very best you can only call a mediocre success for two years.  Why not model it around the actual game it is supposed to represent, The Elder Scrolls.  Because the developers are too lazy to try to figure out new ideas.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I'm okay with faction lock. It worked well in DAoC to keep a grief free leveling zone for all three factions. Restrictions like that are akin to the disallowance of crossfaction chat, it lowers the amount of griefing one would be subjected to otherwise.

Personally I'm fine if I get ganked during PvP, and I can enjoy a bit of back and forth chat with an enemy, but for many that would be a dealbreaker. I'd prefer to have many people to enjoy the game and play with than to drive off a fanbase because of excessive griefing. Remember it's all one big server, so there's no PvP or PvE server you can choose from.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

The majority of people who play open world PVP want nothing to do with a WOW clone.

If you read the forums, the majority of people who critisize TESO do so because it reminds them of WOW.  The same themepark MMO they have been tryin got shove down our throats for the past seven years.  This game manages to insult just about every fanbase at one.  There has been so much negativity about this game from the second it was announced, there is no way it can overcome the anti-hype.

Why model this game around DAOC....a game that at the very best you can only call a mediocre success for two years.  Why not model it around the actual game it is supposed to represent, The Elder Scrolls.  Because the developers are too lazy to try to figure out new ideas.

It has more in common with tes than daoc.

It's using faction lock and rvr from doac, but the combat system, stat system, itemization, sneaking, lore, even the progression system is closer to tes than daoc, it's taking the gameplay of tes games and adding the PvP from daoc, not just slapping a tes skin on daoc

Crazy

There seems to be two setups the "true tes fans" want

GROUP A seem to want a fantasy eve (which I personally would enjoy actually)

GROUP B seem to want a heavy pve game where they can team up with everybody simmilar to EQ I guess. And they might concede some magical flip switch pvp servers in the vein of wow/swtor/rift.

Neither of those are compatible. If they made a game for group A, group B would hate it (getting ganked, full loot etc). If they made a game for group B, group A would hate it (no pvp or crappy wow style ctf minigames etc..)

What zenimax are trying to do is make a happy medium that looks after pve as much as pvp, and looks after themepark as much as sandbox.

Pretty much like what daoc did.
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Ok, fair enough BUT...

If they never tried DAoC and The Elder Scrolls was never an mmorpg, what kind of game were "TES players" thinking they would be getting and what grounds did they even have to think anything about a TES mmo?

The grounds are "current mmos" mixed with "TES lore"... like WoW meets TES. Which would be a disaster and a good way to ruin the TES series.

When it comes to this issue, I was a daoc player since beta and Im a tes player since TES2 daggerfall and I cant come up with a better game that fits the TES series as an mmorpg than DAoC.

People only know the "new mmos"... which to be honest, they're all kinda bad... apart from The Secret World that is in a class of its own - but the rest is rather quite the same thing with different art. And if most people are only exposed to the latest crap fest that have been mmos since 2004, then they have no idea how this new mmo concept would hurt The Elder Scrolls... but they might have an idea if they take a look at WAR or SWTOR...

They are probalby thinking that they will get something akin to morrowind or skyrim online. Or essentially an elder scrolls game but "online". This whole DAoC thing is just about the pvp. It has absolutely nothing to do with any Elder Scrolls game.

The grounds are probably based in the idea that these games are huge open worlds where all one has to do is allow more players and they will be complete. They are probably thinking that there is no reason to submerge it in modern mmo conventions because modern mmo conventions don't necessarily embody what elder scrolls games have been about.

Though I will say that an Elder Scrolls Online game might have been better served with a Guild Wars 1 design in keeping it closer to an Elder Scrolls game.

Deakon
    I would say the itemisation and progression system are Both tes and daoc. Stuff like crafting being important, lateral progression after level cap, just wandering off and finding stuff etc.. are strong concepts in daoc. Both games have a simmilar grimy darkish fantasy setting too. It's some of the reasons the 3 newest tes games remind me strongly of it, especially Morrowind as it uses the same engine. Although I would say ac is the closest mmo to tes.
  • Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

When people played Skyrim, did they complain that they were locked out of Morrowind, or Cyrodil? I am not sure its thats much different in ESO. Is being aware of another area's existence really that frustrating for you? The alliance areas will each be larger than any ES game thus far. Its not like they are tucking the whole alliance into one corner of one of the ES regions... they are giving us 1+ ES regions per alliance, plus a massive PvP zone. And you can always visit the other alliance areas when you reroll, which provides more content and longevity.

Face it, the developers would never be dumb enough to take the ES franchise and turn it into a pure PvP game. It would turn off the ES fanbase and would be a financial disaster. I think they have done well combining the ES levelling world with a PvP endgame, and hopefully have kep the game's appeal as broad as possible.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

Please remember TESO Is not tes6

There will be a tes 6.

TESO is an offshoot into another genre within the tes universe, just like redguard, battlespire and the various iPhone tes games.

Now they could take the sprpg, and add some features to make it a "mmo", but what would you get, you would get a game that is swtor bad. A mmo that plays like a sprpg, but not as good as the sprpg, with a few wow clone grouping features like instanced dungeons and instanced pvp mini games.

It is better they take from daoc than take from wow. You get...
    Open dungeons
    Meaningfull crafting
    Meaningfull and varied pvp
    Exploration based pve
    No quest hubs
    All from daoc. Unfortunately they haven't also took housing from daoc.

Could they have copied from other models.
    Sure asherons call would have been a better fit maybe. A fantasy eve would have worked too, but would have scared away the carebears.

But copying bloody wow AGAIN. Or just taking skyrim and ramming in a few semi mmo / cooprpg features would not.
  • Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

It has more in common with tes than daoc.

It's using faction lock and rvr from doac, but the combat system, stat system, itemization, sneaking, lore, even the progression system is closer to tes than daoc, it's taking the gameplay of tes games and adding the PvP from daoc, not just slapping a tes skin on daoc

Agreed. I dont understand the other post at all. I dont even think he realized the implication of their post.

ESO is not targeting a single monolithic player type. I mean, I play the ES series but I also play MMOs. So do many other ES players. Its not like they are separate playerbases, there is overlap. There is also overlap between people who like PvP and people who play ES, just like there is overlap between people who like PvE and people who like PvP. Its not like there are a bunch of mutually exclusive groups and its impossible to appeal to more than one.

The big challenge in MMO's these days is to provide an endgame. Look at SWTOR and GW2. Good games but they lose players once the players level up, the games dont provide a lot of reason for many players to keep playing. ESO could have gone the 'PvE raid' route, where the endgame is getting better gear by grinding raid dungeons. Instead they have gone the DAoC route where PvP is the endgame. Personally I like that a lot better. Plus they have not abandoned the PvE/levelling experience like a pure PvP game might. I think thats a pretty sensible combination. Pure PvE players dont have to PvP, they can level up and then re-roll in another alliance. Certainly the existence of a PvP endgame wont chase them away from trying the game and having fun. But that endgame also gives more serious players something to do once they hit max level, and hopefully we will retain a lot more of its players than SWTOR and GW2 seem likely to do.

I said this in another thread, but its impossible to do a pure exploration game as a MMORPG because they simply cant create material as fast as players run through it. Look how long they spent on Skyrim, and how quickly some players ran through the content. That just isnt a sustainable model for a game that wants to keep players beyond a few months. That being said, I do think it should take more than the 120 hours they stated to make max level. I guess thats just a symptom of what WoW has done to MMORPGs, but that is what a large proportion of players will expect and I can see why they arent making it harder core levelling.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC