Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

1789101113»

Comments

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by sapphen

Completely lost instrest.  Will not sign up for beta or play the game at release.

The war should have never been racial imo.  It should've been about 3 different groups fighting for the ruby throne.  No idea why DAoC took precedent over TES.

Becasue that would be exactly like 99% of every MMO released since 2005.  Its time we grow as a genre from something thats been cloned to death.

Really, I keep seeing your posts and it looks more and more like your one of those paid forum junkies for the game developer.

Name one MMO that had three factions yet ALLOWED YOU TO CHOOSE what faction you joined based on something OTHER then race?

Oh wait there are none.  There are no MMO's that let you pick a race, and then choose what faction to join based on their ideaological belief and yours.  They all, including DAoC, shoehorn you into a faction based on your race.

But hey, its ok, your not smarter then the average forum troll.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Not knocking your opinion, I just can't personally understand why someone would not want 3 seperate factions to play on. It's 3 unique experiences, and if anything helps the longevity of games. It kept me playing DAoC for 6 years because once I got tired of Albion, I moved to Hibernia, then Midgard, spending about the same amount of time in each. Each had their own distinct feel, I loved all 3 realms.

Its not that I think 3+ factions is a bad idea. Its good.  The probelms is the linguistics.  How its implamented.  Dev made content gets chewed though at a fast rate.  When its done people move on.  Having content that 2/3 of your players can't do, unless they alt is doing nothing but making more work of the devs. 

Lets talk about alts.  Not everyone is going to want to play every race.  That's pretty common.  For example, I play Asura and Charr on GW2. I can go to the human zone and do their quests. I can go to lower level zones and do quests.  Even so, I have still made alts with enough zone/quests I don't have to repeat to much if I choose not to. 

With ESO, I have to find a race I like in each faction (unless endgame is so great or my one faction has sooo much content I don't need to alt). If I don't, its one more reason not to stick around.  When I am alt'ing will I still be able to do things with my guildmates or do I need to level up with a new guild?

How about this.  I get to choose my faction and the land isn't locked.  Factions are based on political/social
    cues. Lets say I join the mages guild (or whatever they called it in Skyrim). I have a storyline to become a member.  I battle those who oppose us, which can changed based on dev events or player actions or whatever. 

This gives my the whole world to explore, except enemy outpost and the like.  If I got delevel'ed I'd have even more content.  It would give me lots to do, the freedom of choice and I'd still have faction wars.

By playing only the Asura and Charr you miss out on the other races stories. So you are also missing content in GW2. But that comparison is a bad one anyway, the races in GW2 are ALLIED and friendly to each others. In TESO, the story is linked to the Alliances and the alliances are at WAR with each others. TESO is like SWTOR not GW2. In SWTOR, if the player get to a planet it is "neutral" (both side have access + optional PvP or full PvP depending on the server rule) or the planet is instanced for your alliance. ZOS didn't want to put optional PvP in PvE zones.

Also, to do what you want, they have to change the storylines of all the alliances, change the mobs in zones (EP earlier zones is about a DC invasion) and most of all, rewrite all the lore/quests they written in the last 5 years. This also mean redo the VO work they already recorded (the game is supposed to release in the next 10 months). It's not going to happen, so you can just start to accept the game is not going to be like you want in that regard.

But, the way the game is setup right now gives ZOS lots of space for future content without having to create new places that never existed in the Elder Scrolls. They just have to expand the faction stories into the opposing alliance zones in a invasion type PvE storyline. It give fresh content, reduce dev time because the "map" already exist and allow people to see everything over time without losing the realism of the Alliance at war.

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by fs23otm

I can tell very few people played DAoC. 

Everyone that is complaining never played DAoC. Otherwise they would not be complaining. Faction Locks work not because they are trying to "stop you from seeing the world"... they are trying to get PVP correctly done. That hasn't been accomplished in any game since DAoC. 

ESO will be a PVP game with PVE.

I played Daoc.  It sucked.  I do not enjoy games centered on PVP which DaoC was.

TES games, which I like, have for the vast majority not included pvp at all.

They have not made a TES game.  Which is why the TES people are upset.

Why didn't the DaoC guy just make DaoC2?  Because it would fail.  It was not a popular game, it never was even in it's heyday.

It did RVR well.  RVR is not popular enough to support a game.  NUMEROUS games have proven this.

They are ruining another incredible IP by letting people develop around it that have NO CLUE what made the IP great in the first place.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Actually it increases my interest . Plenty of other mmos with open world if that's your thing. I like to see some try different thing outside the wow standard. This method worked great in daoc and I think it will here too.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Faction lock makes the game seem more realistic to me. In an immersive sense. It's nice to see an MMO where every race isn't able to coexist happily, in what's supposed to be a credible virtual world. It's impossible for every individual to "get along" in any society. The fact that the same can be said in ESO, definitely sparks my interest even more..no loss of it here.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Dantae87

note im not looking for hardcore massive gank everyone pvp...just the option to explor would have been appreciated.

Okay I read about faction lock so you are not able to explore other faction area's, but where does it state there will be no exploring at all? couldn't find anything yet about it, yet constant see topics pop up like this one.

Or are these topics pure based on hear say from other forum posters without actuall official info.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Dantae87

note im not looking for hardcore massive gank everyone pvp...just the option to explor would have been appreciated.

Okay I read about faction lock so you are not able to explore other faction area's, but where does it state there will be no exploring at all? couldn't find anything yet about it, yet constant see topics pop up like this one.

Or are these topics pure based on hear say from other forum posters without actuall official info.

if you can't enter an area, then you can't explore it, this isnt really even about PVP, TES games have always been about adventure and exploration, which isnt possible with the different lands being artificially seperated, maybe it is to ease server loads by having each faction area being completely seperate from the rest of the game world, cyrodil itself is going to be a multi campaigned (read instances) area, this is all information that has already been given out, even though they may have 'glossed' over some of the negative implications. From what i've seen so far, even as a DAoC clone its going to be a bit fail, all in all the game is already a train wreck about to happen, the only question now is can Zenimax change this, and given that Zenimax is NOT Bethesda, im guessing that they probably can't. image

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Totally disagree, and it just comes across as "waahhhhhhhhhhhhh" ;-)

TBH I was really excited when I first heard about this game a few months ago. But the sheer magnitude of TES RPG non mmo players whining about all the mmo features that are gonna ruin TESO are ruinining it for me. 

THey're gonna chase away all the mmo players, and then not even play it themselves.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No

Things like the megaserver, multiple guild membership, you are the hero personal story instances and by the looks a heavy reliance on instancing in general might put me off though. Also not keen on the game having classes. The game having rvr is the least of its problems, pvp is obviously new, so whatever they pick is in addition to the view tes gameplay, where as stuff like having classes might break the great tes pve for me.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Green
    Daoc was the 2nd or 3rd most popular mmo in its day and its still running over a decade later hardly a failure.

There's no secret agenda to do "daoc sneaking through the backdoor" as none wants it, look at the hype level here for CU. actual daoc 2 would sell plenty good enough.

Perhaps bethseda are huge fans of daoc, and that is why they hired Matt friror. It is one of the best mmos to date after all.