Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw....i do not see a intrest in a game where i cannot explore the world and am limited to a set area, in wich is brutally unrealistic. They have taken a HUGE aspect of what a MMO is by removing world exploration...for a company that said this game is focused on exploration this is the wrong direction. I would like to write my story the way i want it to be written, not locked to one place like "John lived in Daggerfall and never seen the outter world cuz it wasnt allowed..." cuz that sounds like a epic story alright....

ArcheAge cant get here fast enough....hope ESO dosnt kill off the Elder Scrolls series like how blizzard did to the Warcraft series because of WoW suscess...

P.S No im no ta noob ganker wolrd PvP lover...i just liked how WoW did it but dont liek WoW...so dont tell me to go back to WoW cuz it sucks now...

this guy explains my view exactly...watch it and see where us kind of ppl come from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCmveOvYXzo

This guy offers a good suggestion on what could have been done to address this issue at 2:40 in his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZxZH1L4eAw

Comments

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I have not lost interest - but it is a decided 'drag factor' on my enthusiasm.

I want to wander the deserts of Al'Akir or stand on High Rock with my DUNMER.

Not possible at the moment...

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    And you've seen the areas?
  • notanaemnotanaem Member Posts: 8

Even if you can't go to the other factions zones, it just adds more reply value to alts so I see it as a great thing. I can see where you're coming from though ES has always been about exploration and I guess the more I think about it that's straying from the original games a lot. I guess we'll know for sure when we get more info but I will say not many companies are Bethesda. So I would seriously try to get them to stay as true as possible to the original series.

Edit: If I can't go from Morrowind to Red Rock what's the point I mean really?

• tyranadetyranade Member UncommonPosts: 18

If it's more than the earliest starter-zones that will be locked- yes, I will definatelly think about if I want to invest in this game.

I think there are better ways to protect low-level players than this.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Definitely, to be honest, trying to mix TES and DAoC isnt really a good fit, having factions in the game should not be racially based in the first place imo, in TES factions to me means being a member of the mages guild or the fighters guild etc. But i don't really see anything of TES in  ESO beyond a few naming conventions. As a long time fan of TES, ESO is not a game i have any interest in anymore.

They would have been better off having everyone with a neutral faction status to start off, with the various 'city states' having their own factions, with gains in one affecting standing with other city states etc.. that way they could have a fully explorable pve game with pvp between different city states for those who wanted it. Not to mention having an assassins and thieves guild in the game for those with larcenous etc, leanings.. putting a death mark on another player for a 'bounty' so to speak would be .. a bit more fun image

Originally posted by Phry

Definitely, to be honest, trying to mix TES and DAoC isnt really a good fit, having factions in the game should not be racially based in the first place imo, in TES factions to me means being a member of the mages guild or the fighters guild etc. But i don't really see anything of TES in  ESO beyond a few naming conventions. As a long time fan of TES, ESO is not a game i have any interest in anymore.

They would have been better off having everyone with a neutral faction status to start off, with the various 'city states' having their own factions, with gains in one affecting standing with other city states etc.. that way they could have a fully explorable pve game with pvp between different city states for those who wanted it. Not to mention having an assassins and thieves guild in the game for those with larcenous etc, leanings.. putting a death mark on another player for a 'bounty' so to speak would be .. a bit more fun image

You do have 3 different races in one area thou... So its not a racial thing.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Don't give a fuck.

Gameplay elements are far more important in MMORPG than some stupid RACE/GENDER/FACTION locks.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ikarrian
    Originally posted by Phry

You do have 3 different races in one area thou... So its not a racial thing.

its the very definition of racially based factions, it is in fact, the one that was used in DAoC.. just with different names.image

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

note im not looking for hardcore massive gank everyone pvp...just the option to explor would have been appreciated.

Precisely. So what to do about it... Well you can always make your own game. Or wait till Beta and judge after you've seen it.
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

I have not lost interest - but it is a decided 'drag factor' on my enthusiasm.

I want to wander the deserts of Al'Akir or stand on High Rock with my DUNMER.

Not possible at the moment...

Same here. I'm still interested, bu that design decision is a minus in my book.

To me, this kind of stuff is actually more important than combat itself. To me MMORPGs are more about world exploration and interaction than anything else.

Originally posted by Dantae87

note im not looking for hardcore massive gank everyone pvp...just the option to explor would have been appreciated.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to explore. Why are everyone rushing to call this a failure?
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

I am sorry i just don't get you guys - i have no power to explain myself to you all cause you already made up your minds.

I will just say that i am happy to see a twist and not more of the same....

Well - i am an alt person after all - i have to have many many many chars - each completely different and so i do think this game is my cup of tea....

Just my 2 cents...

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I don't mind not having the entire map to roam for pve, if anything I'd rather have it that way.  DAoC was the best gaming experience I've ever had and part of the draw was seeing enemies as real invaders from unknown lands.  A lot of the mystery would be lost if enemies could freely mingle outside of the open world pvp areas.
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Shaike

i have to have many many many chars - each completely different and so i do think this game is my cup of tea....

EXACTLY! i most of the time only have 1 char! In wich i grow his story by the day...maybe its just me but if im paying for a game to would like to see it all with 1 guy as it was ment to be...i mean seriously...if you wanted to go to europ but coudnt cuz the rules n laws woudnt let you wounld u not be pissed? OR

if u live in arazona and wanted to go to texas but you cant cuz the rules and laws say no...how would that feel?

im just goin g off of what i have come to believe a MMO shud be about. Create a place to get away from it all...a new life as to speak. A life where nothing can stop me from doing certain things where in my real life it would limit me to...thought that is what games were about...not shackling you to a set rules...

Maybe im just a sanboxer...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No

If they had find the typical wow clone route with their pvp - shite little instanced minigames, with token flip a switch and pvp magically happens servers.

I would have then.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Somewhat. Its really bad for my guild which all like different races. I like the Bosmer but my GL likes nords......

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

What game is your guild currently in beef?
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    What game is your guild currently in beef?

Rift mainly. But we play a lot of games. BF3, World of Tanks, Path of exile. We're mainyl waiting for Archeage...

Well with rift, did everyone just magically want to play races on the same side?

I'm remembering these arguments from tsw beta "i want to be a dragon, but my wife likes templars". Pvp sure ended up messed up in that game when it went live.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well with rift, did everyone just magically want to play races on the same side?

I'm remembering these arguments from tsw beta "i want to be a dragon, but my wife likes templars". Pvp sure ended up messed up in that game when it went live.

Actually yes. We all wanted to be guardian. And now since on PVE servers Defiants and Guardians can group and guild together it isnt an issue.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

To people saying "cool, lots more to do with alts".

150 quests.

No factions you get 150 quests to do.

Faction locked you get 50 to do..then create another character, level them up, do another 50......create another character, level up, do another 50....

You really see that as a better design and more stuff to do???

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

I can tell very few people played DAoC. 

Everyone that is complaining never played DAoC. Otherwise they would not be complaining. Faction Locks work not because they are trying to "stop you from seeing the world"... they are trying to get PVP correctly done. That hasn't been accomplished in any game since DAoC. 

ESO will be a PVP game with PVE.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    No. Never had any to start with ....
    Originally posted by fs23otm

I can tell very few people played DAoC. 

Everyone that is complaining never played DAoC. Otherwise they would not be complaining. Faction Locks work not because they are trying to "stop you from seeing the world"... they are trying to get PVP correctly done. That hasn't been accomplished in any game since DAoC. 

ESO will be a PVP game with PVE.

We understand why they are doing it but we still dont have to be happy about it.