Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

ESO Petition, Make Tamriel Seamless.

asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member

Hello,

There is now a petition for TESO up, it includes a couple of sources, some concerns around the topic of the segregated regions of the map in Tamriel. In an interview Matt Firor stated that you will not be able to enter the enemy's territory unless it is in Cyrodiil's PvP Zone.

Anyhow, You can read more about it at the petition site linked below. Please support this cause and help us get what we want.

 

EDIT: Our goal has been partially achieved. Many a petitions were made and our contributed as well. My thanks to those whom supported our cause. Personally I'll settle for being able to explore but not PvP in other factions territory. This petition has now been cancelled. Once again, thank you for your time and effort in this thread.

 

The petition can be found at:

The petition has reached its goal!

 

You can also watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpx-VcUc02c

 

And read this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpx-VcUc02c

 

Thank you.

 

image
«13456719

Comments

  • EmeraqEmeraq Medical Lake, WAPosts: 927Member Uncommon

    I thought seamless meant no transition loading (or blank) screens? In which case both Oblivion and Skryim are NOT seamless.

     

    Maybe I'm wrong about what is considered seemless but to me it sounds to me like this request is to make it truly an open world, rather than limiting access to your zone and PvP zones only.... 

  • RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member
    Too late, they won't be making any major changes now. Tweaks and bug fixes only from here on in.
  • asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Too late, they won't be making any major changes now. Tweaks and bug fixes only from here on in.

    Damn you and your realistic view points!

    But I suppose you're right, however maybe they will consider it as a subject of change in the feature, aye?

    image
  • immodiumimmodium ManchesterPosts: 1,579Member Uncommon

    The thing is ESO will be using this megaserver technology (1 giant server). How can you segregate PvP and PvE? Could of worked if you had multiple servers.

     

    TBH I didn't watch the youtube video, however I'm guessing it's from the PoV of a PvP'er.

    image
  • asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member
    Originally posted by Emeraq

    I thought seamless meant no transition loading (or blank) screens? In which case both Oblivion and Skryim are NOT seamless.

     

    Maybe I'm wrong about what is considered seemless but to me it sounds to me like this request is to make it truly an open world, rather than limiting access to your zone and PvP zones only.... 

    Quite true, I could have worded that better. My apologies.

    image
  • asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member
    Originally posted by immodium

    The thing is ESO will be using this megaserver technology (1 giant server). How can you segregate PvP and PvE? Could of worked if you had multiple servers.

     

    TBH I didn't watch the youtube video, however I'm guessing it's from the PoV of a PvP'er.

    They will be making one area(Cyrodiil) of itself for PvP, much like GW2's WvWvW, however I would prefer it if you wandered into someone elses territory, except Cyrodiil, that they'd be able to attacked you. (However, flagging themselves for PvP as well, allowing you to attack them as well.)

     

    Edit: Fair point however, the megaserver might require them to remove that kind of PvP and cater to the PvP:ers among us by adding a designated PvP Area.

    image
  • immodiumimmodium ManchesterPosts: 1,579Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by immodium

    The thing is ESO will be using this megaserver technology (1 giant server). How can you segregate PvP and PvE? Could of worked if you had multiple servers.

     

    TBH I didn't watch the youtube video, however I'm guessing it's from the PoV of a PvP'er.

    They will be making one area(Cyrodiil) of itself for PvP, much like GW2's WvWvW, however I would prefer it if you wandered into someone elses territory, except Cyrodiil, that they'd be able to attacked you. (However, flagging themselves for PvP as well, allowing you to attack them as well.)

     

    Edit: Fair point however, the megaserver might require them to remove that kind of PvP and cater to the PvP:ers among us by adding a designated PvP Area.

    As long as I have the option to PvP or not I don't see the problem. You mentioned from the PoV of a RP'r as well. Won't it be a immersion breaker when you can't PvP with someone in enemy territory.?

    I'll just go to Cyrodiil for My PvP fix.

     

    Like mentioned earlier, this is not going to be implemented at this stage.

    image
  • DaxamarDaxamar Green Cove Springs, FLPosts: 554Member

    People havent played the game yet, and want to make changes. All on what they percieve from a youtube video.

    Truly mind boggling.

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,916Member Uncommon
    From an RP perspective given the lore for the MMO, exploring other zones (enemy territory) wouldn't make sense at all to me. Considering that this is more or less a racial war.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member
    Originally posted by Distopia
    From an RP perspective given the lore for the MMO, exploring other zones (enemy territory) wouldn't make sense at all to me. Considering that this is more or less a racial war.

    Well, it's not a racial war really. The Dark Elves enslaved the Argonians for gods sake. It's more political. It all revolves around the White Gold Tower.

    Anyhow, I'm quite sure that a war doesn't mean that every person originating from a certain country would be banned from the opposing country just because of a war. However, there is also espionage and so on.

    image
  • asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by immodium

    The thing is ESO will be using this megaserver technology (1 giant server). How can you segregate PvP and PvE? Could of worked if you had multiple servers.

     

    TBH I didn't watch the youtube video, however I'm guessing it's from the PoV of a PvP'er.

    They will be making one area(Cyrodiil) of itself for PvP, much like GW2's WvWvW, however I would prefer it if you wandered into someone elses territory, except Cyrodiil, that they'd be able to attacked you. (However, flagging themselves for PvP as well, allowing you to attack them as well.)

     

    Edit: Fair point however, the megaserver might require them to remove that kind of PvP and cater to the PvP:ers among us by adding a designated PvP Area.

    As long as I have the option to PvP or not I don't see the problem. You mentioned from the PoV of a RP'r as well. Won't it be a immersion breaker when you can't PvP with someone in enemy territory.?

    I'll just go to Cyrodiil for My PvP fix.

     

    Like mentioned earlier, this is not going to be implemented at this stage.

    What you say is true, but I doubt that it would be very fun if you were leveling up and suddenly someone just killed and camped you, so it would kind of have to be some degree of restriction. But aye, Fair point.

    image
  • MollowMollow KoldingPosts: 66Member

    Maybe in future patches they would be able to change the way the world is restricted right now, acording to Paul Sage, if they see it fit.

     

     

    I would like to be able to travel to Valenwood as a Dunmer, simply because I like to explore and a enemy faction shouldn't restrict which areas I can explore because there is a war going on.

     

    E.g. if I go to Valenwood as a Dunmer, the players and NPCs of the Aldmeri Dominion should be able to attack me, and vice versa, because the Aldmeri Dominion and the Ebonheart Pact both are in a conflict to control Cyrodiil along with the Daggerfall Covenant.

    What I don't like about the fact that I can be killed while exploring and questing in Valenwood, is that there is a possibility that I wouldn't be able to do anything in Valenwood since I would probably be hunted down by the enemy faction in the area.

     

    An example is taken from Rift, where the two factions of said game would have crossing quest paths in certain areas, and I experienced several occasions where I couldn't finish a questline due to being killed by the enemy faction each time I tried to proceed in a given quest. The idea behind this isn't bad, but only to a certain degree IMO.

     

    A solution to the above problem, would be to implement a faction system bound to each player, similar to the faction system in EverQuest II.

    In ESO you would, as a Dunmer, start off being neutral to all three playable factions (or neutral to the Aldmeri Dominion and the Daggerfall Covenant while being an ally of the Ebonheart Covenant), and of course be an enemy to the antagonist of the game which is the Imperials in Cyrodiil. You would then improve or worsen your faction standing with all factions in the game depending on what actions you make during your exploration and questing in Tamriel.

     

    This solution would give the opportunity to actually go and explore Valenwood as a Dunmer without being targeted as an enemy. Of course as a player progress in the game, faction standings would increase and decrease if a player participated in the main war. The player would have a bad standing to the other two factions and thereby have difficulties exploring every area of Tamriel.

     

    This system also opens up for the possibility to exile your character into another faction. E.g. a Dunmer could betray his/her starting faction and move to the Daggerfall Covenant. This also solves the problem of restricting races to each faction thus making it possible for people to play together with their prefered races, given one player would play as a Dunmer and another as a Breton and still be able to team up.

     

     

    In addition to the EverQuest II faction system, here is a quick explanation to give an insigt to what I described above;

     

    Each creature belongs to a faction, and you have a standing with each faction. Many of the actions you take in Norrath, whether completing a quest or killing a monster, will cause you to gain or lose faction with one group or another. These groups can be Racial, Tribal, Political or Territorial.

    Faction is described by a number, but is also simplified into several labels, which you can see in the tooltip when you target a creature. The faction labels are as follows;

     

    Scowls Threatening Dubious Apprehensive  Indifferent  Amiable Kindly Warmly  Ally 
    -40K -30K -20K -10K - 10K 20K 30K 40K
     
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    They'd be better dropping this megaserver nonsense and having alternative ruleset servers. Pretty much like daoc.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Mollow
    Eq2 is a pve game, why would you copy pvp from a game that fails hard at pvp.
  • ikarrianikarrian SPosts: 122Member
    PVPers love to kill carebear RPers. Always been like that, I fail to see the fun in it. So thats why they make PvP / PvE server... But that wont work here either, since its a megaserver. So how to give everyone what they want? well they cant give the explores a "PvP arena" or "Explore Arena". Everyone cried about same thing about Diablo 3. The "Hardcore PVPers" wanted to kill the PvE / RP guys again. And TES is a Exploring game from start, So they rather give the explorers a safe haven.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Also rift has poor pvp, seen as it copies from wow which has terrible pvp.
  • deakondeakon birminghamPosts: 583Member
    The segregation helps form realm pride, which for a pvp focussed game is a good thing imo, plus it gives us 100% new content to enjoy when we get bored playing our main, the way i look at it is we are gettin 3 tes games that are larger than any before tied together by a 4th tes game that is pvp focussed
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    There's only 2 games worth copying for pvp. One of them is eve the other Is daoc.

    Wow clone solutions would turn me right off the game.
  • MollowMollow KoldingPosts: 66Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Mollow
    Eq2 is a pve game, why would you copy pvp from a game that fails hard at pvp.

    What I described, was a solution to the restriction of certain areas in a explore-all-of-Tamriel point of view. I have no problem with the idea of PvP in Cyrodiil.

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member


    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Too late, they won't be making any major changes now. Tweaks and bug fixes only from here on in.
    Exactly. They have been in development for a few years now. No Major game changing will happen.

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

  • MaelwyddMaelwydd CrawleyPosts: 1,123Member
    Originally posted by Distopia
    From an RP perspective given the lore for the MMO, exploring other zones (enemy territory) wouldn't make sense at all to me. Considering that this is more or less a racial war.

    Well from an RP perspective if that holds true then the game should have absolutely no cross-over of races in enemy teritories. No Khajit wandering traders, no Breton merchants with shops in Skyrim, no Elves in High Rock....if the game has ANY race from ANY other faction except the 3 faction races then that shows the factions are simply a gme mechanic and not somethint do with lore...i.e. they made this lore up to fit the game rather then making the game fit the lore.

    The problem here is having factions being hard coded into race. Remove the factions from race, make joining a faction a choice, make exploration of the entire continent available to everyone and only put restrictions in place when someone decides to get involved in the war (I would prefer the world to remain without invisible walls still and just have it so you are KOS in enemy lands if you have joined a faction).

    The problem here is that they seem to want to force PvP onto everyone. Sure you don't have to actually go to the PvP zone but the effects are far reaching and seep over into the PvE side of the game. That is essentially my issue with their design. Lack of freedom to choose freely and the fact it is for purely PvP reasons.

    You want true RP... roll up an Orc who's entire family was wiped out by Bretons/Redguards during the fights, who hates them with a passion and see's any Orc who joined the faction as a traitor to the entire Orc race and is allowed to join another faction to kill these traitors.

    That is what the game should allow. That is what the game doesn't.

  • asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member
    Originally posted by Mollow

    Maybe in future patches they would be able to change the way the world is restricted right now, acording to Paul Sage, if they see it fit.

     

     

    I would like to be able to travel to Valenwood as a Dunmer, simply because I like to explore and a enemy faction shouldn't restrict which areas I can explore because there is a war going on.

     

    E.g. if I go to Valenwood as a Dunmer, the players and NPCs of the Aldmeri Dominion should be able to attack me, and vice versa, because the Aldmeri Dominion and the Ebonheart Pact both are in a conflict to control Cyrodiil along with the Daggerfall Covenant.

    What I don't like about the fact that I can be killed while exploring and questing in Valenwood, is that there is a possibility that I wouldn't be able to do anything in Valenwood since I would probably be hunted down by the enemy faction in the area.

     

    An example is taken from Rift, where the two factions of said game would have crossing quest paths in certain areas, and I experienced several occasions where I couldn't finish a questline due to being killed by the enemy faction each time I tried to proceed in a given quest. The idea behind this isn't bad, but only to a certain degree IMO.

     

    A solution to the above problem, would be to implement a faction system bound to each player, similar to the faction system in EverQuest II.

    In ESO you would, as a Dunmer, start off being neutral to all three playable factions (or neutral to the Aldmeri Dominion and the Daggerfall Covenant while being an ally of the Ebonheart Covenant), and of course be an enemy to the antagonist of the game which is the Imperials in Cyrodiil. You would then improve or worsen your faction standing with all factions in the game depending on what actions you make during your exploration and questing in Tamriel.

     

    This solution would give the opportunity to actually go and explore Valenwood as a Dunmer without being targeted as an enemy. Of course as a player progress in the game, faction standings would increase and decrease if a player participated in the main war. The player would have a bad standing to the other two factions and thereby have difficulties exploring every area of Tamriel.

     

    This system also opens up for the possibility to exile your character into another faction. E.g. a Dunmer could betray his/her starting faction and move to the Daggerfall Covenant. This also solves the problem of restricting races to each faction thus making it possible for people to play together with their prefered races, given one player would play as a Dunmer and another as a Breton and still be able to team up.

     

     

    In addition to the EverQuest II faction system, here is a quick explanation to give an insigt to what I described above;

     

    Each creature belongs to a faction, and you have a standing with each faction. Many of the actions you take in Norrath, whether completing a quest or killing a monster, will cause you to gain or lose faction with one group or another. These groups can be Racial, Tribal, Political or Territorial.

    Faction is described by a number, but is also simplified into several labels, which you can see in the tooltip when you target a creature. The faction labels are as follows;

     

    Scowls Threatening Dubious Apprehensive  Indifferent  Amiable Kindly Warmly  Ally 
    -40K -30K -20K -10K - 10K 20K 30K 40K
     

    Very well put together opinion. I completely agree with you, I hope we can gather up enough signatures for this.

    If you feel like it, please try to spread this around as well, your opinion as well as the petition.

    image
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member
    The day the developers selected an engine to build around and settled on a three faction segregated setting was also the day a seamless Tamriel was discarded in favor of  other options on tap. It is what it is and no fan posing is going to change it at this point.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1,096Member Common
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by immodium

    The thing is ESO will be using this megaserver technology (1 giant server). How can you segregate PvP and PvE? Could of worked if you had multiple servers.

     

    TBH I didn't watch the youtube video, however I'm guessing it's from the PoV of a PvP'er.

    They will be making one area(Cyrodiil) of itself for PvP, much like GW2's WvWvW, however I would prefer it if you wandered into someone elses territory, except Cyrodiil, that they'd be able to attacked you. (However, flagging themselves for PvP as well, allowing you to attack them as well.)

     

    Edit: Fair point however, the megaserver might require them to remove that kind of PvP and cater to the PvP:ers among us by adding a designated PvP Area.

    Only partially true.

    Yes PvP will only be in 1 zone. Cyrodiil. However, its really more than 1 as Cyrodiil (and the rest of the gameworld) will be Mirrored. So you will have multiple versions of Tamriel each tuned the players own playstyle.

    So you could have 10 different Cyrodiils running PvP for 10 different playstyles that you get to choose from

    Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

  • NikopolNikopol The ZonePosts: 626Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Too late, they won't be making any major changes now. Tweaks and bug fixes only from here on in.

    I'm afraid Ref might be right.

    I, too would like to be able to visit enemy territories, but that's probably too big a change for them to make at this point.

«13456719
Sign In or Register to comment.