Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Petition, Make Tamriel Seamless.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well the area is cyrodil complete with towns and dungeons and what have you.

Regarding seamless world.
    Have a server with separated pvp and pve that is faction locked
    Have a server with full pvp where you can go anywhere
    Have a server with no pvp where you can go anywhere and group with anyone.

That way everybody is happy.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

They can't even do housing think you might be asking too much from them. Anyway they have MEAGASERVER! They don't even want you to be able to choose which server you play on!

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

They can't even do housing think you might be asking too much from them. Anyway they have MEAGASERVER! They don't even want you to be able to choose which server you play on!

Actually, housing is quite possible. The Megaserver functions by phasing everyone by their likes and dislikes. So people whom enjoy PvP will be phased with others who does that as well. Which would work extremely well with a completely open world.

But back to player housing, as you might imagine there would be tons of houses. I would love to see them all "un-phased" but well, having a house is in itself a sanctuary to relax, and you could use it as a bank/guildbank. Much like in the Hearthfire plug-in for Skyrim.

So there is a very real possibility that they will add even guild housing in semi-phased areas in future patches since people will undoubtly ask for it.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by sodade21
    so basicaly the only pvp will be in one big map like it is now for GW2? No open world pvp? or at least pvp on and off in the whole world?? that sucks and take all the immersion and "fear" feeling away...

it will be one map.  UNLIKE GW2.  which has 4 maps.

Originally posted by asrlohz

Actually, housing is quite possible. The Megaserver functions by phasing everyone by their likes and dislikes. So people whom enjoy PvP will be phased with others who does that as well. Which would work extremely well with a completely open world.

But back to player housing, as you might imagine there would be tons of houses. I would love to see them all "un-phased" but well, having a house is in itself a sanctuary to relax, and you could use it as a bank/guildbank. Much like in the Hearthfire plug-in for Skyrim.

So there is a very real possibility that they will add even guild housing in semi-phased areas in future patches since people will undoubtly ask for it.

Oh I know housing is possible, it was a fun poke at how unimaginative and apparently lacking in ability they are. It is funny to be following a game that states housing is too difficult (Mat Frior said that!)  and another game where the discussion is about claiming land for your house so you can grow your own crops, raise animals, milk cows....

All these problems and arguments currently going on, and it seems to be racial faction locks and megaserver tech for the most part, all seem to stem from the developers choices and design (and our lack of choices and observation of lacking design).

I wish the developers of TESO and Archage were swapped at birth so we might get gameplay you could hope for in a TESO game to do the title justice.

• casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32

Play the game they make not the one in your head, you will be alot happier.

my 2 cents

Housing Is possibly to difficult because they are restricted by having the game in the tes universe.

Daoc had housing. How it worked they had a separate land mass with villages in it where you could build your house and typically have your guildmates next door. But how they would do such a thing in TESO I don't know, there isn't such a safe zone in tamriel, everywhere has monsters and such.

So how they would probably have to do it would be with instanced housing which wouldn't be as good. E.g. there's certain doorways in the cities that take people to instances of their own house.
    Originally posted by casual187

Play the game they make not the one in your head, you will be alot happier.

my 2 cents

lol the whole discussion is that if I play the game they make I will NOT be happier. If it doesn't change I will most likely not play but that doesn't mean I should sit with my thumb up my arse and do like most seem to and disengage brain when openning wallet and having no opinion at all. 

Actually the more I read on Archeage, the more it sounds like a "daoc 2" than TESO does.

No instances
    Housing continent
    Siege continent
    Etc..

Or perhaps more aa is daoc meets uo, TESO is daoc meets wow.
    Housing Is possibly to difficult because they are restricted by having the game in the tes universe.

Daoc had housing. How it worked they had a separate land mass with villages in it where you could build your house and typically have your guildmates next door. But how they would do such a thing in TESO I don't know, there isn't such a safe zone in tamriel, everywhere has monsters and such.

So how they would probably have to do it would be with instanced housing which wouldn't be as good. E.g. there's certain doorways in the cities that take people to instances of their own house.

I don't even understand your first sentance>

How would housing be impossible "in the TES universe" when housing is one of the main features!

Isn't a safe zone in tamriel....unless of course you include all the cities where people...live....in...houses.

Sometimes you make a good case but the above post is tosh.

They put all their focus in to making keeps you can destroy and rebuild in the Cyrodil continent but housing is just too difficult. FFS that Matt frior needs to leave the game!

I didn't say it would be impossible

I said being in established universe makes it more difficult.
    Mael
    It's got this mega server right?
    So there might he say a million people playing on it.
    How do you cram everyone's house into the cities?

Which is why if they do housing, sadly it will be instanced. Friror has done good housing before, with the housing zone in daoc, trust me its a lot better than instanced housing you get to hang out in a town with your friends and guildmates and have craft / trade facilities. But there Is no such safe frontier in tamriel where you could go build your houses without attacks from vampires, goblins, dragons, whatever. Or if they had dedicated an area of the world for such a purpose no doubt people would moan "its not tes it breaks the lore"

This is one of the reasons it Is easier to build a good mmo when you don't have to work it around an existing ip.

Well you have a point about housing I must admit. But I personally would have no problem having instanced housing in neibourhoods that are part of a city. It is just really bad to hear the guy in charge of development say Housing in MMO's are just too difficult (And I assume he ment non instanced housing) when you have other games, previously and in development timelines of about the same, which have them and haven't raised a fuss about them.

A lot of things about this game just come across as being lazy and them happy to just farm out generic mechanics. Not everything but some of the big things that I feel should receive more atention.

But with most things, it isn't a case of cannot be done (at least there are not many things beyond possibility, just project restrictions or issues).

it is usually a case of we cannot think of a way (unimaginative design), we cannot afford to do it (time or money) or we don't want to do it (lazy - imo).

Paul Sage would have done outdoor housing in uo, Matt Friror will have done zoned housing in daoc. So they know about housing. What I hues they meant is "its hard to have housing worth having". Because these instanced / personal portal houses you see in other games aren't a oath on the housing in their prior games.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

The quote is

"Making player housing the way fans expect is too hard to implement in an MMO"

He's not saying housing in mmo's is hard he is saying doing housing the way tes fans expect it to be done is hard in a mmo

Paul Sage would have done outdoor housing in uo, Matt Friror will have done zoned housing in daoc. So they know about housing. What I hues they meant is "its hard to have housing worth having". Because these instanced / personal portal houses you see in other games aren't a oath on the housing in their prior games.

Well these 2 experts better tell the other games doing housing that they are making them look bad. Not just with housing may I add.

Originally posted by deakon

The quote is

"Making player housing the way fans expect is too hard to implement in an MMO"

He's not saying housing in mmo's is hard he is saying doing housing the way tes fans expect it to be done is hard in a mmo

Makes you wonder who he asked if he actually asked. I mean he didn't ask the fans if removing choice from the game by forcing race/faction locks was ok it sems.

When evading a sensitive question it is a good ploy to blame someone else, especial 'them'  so I gues he did ok.

Mael
    You make It sound like "all true tes fans don't want factions"

Thats not true.

I play skyrim more than any other game, still. The factions don't bother me, because I know done right they can give great end game.

Im glad the copied daoc instead of bloody wow for a change. I would be equally happy if they'd copied eve. I wouldn't be interested in the game if it was like EQ though.
    The only way they could get housing into the game is with portal doors in cities leading to multiple instances of everyone's personal house. Which frankly is a bit crap, I've seen such sysyems in other games.

A good housing system like uo, daoc, aa or swg I don't see how they could for in to the existing universe, especially given this megaserver thing. They would have to invent some new landmass to put the housing on. It's always a headache making games that have to stick to an existing ip, there's things you want to put in for gameplay improvement reasons, but you can't as the ip gets in the way. It you have to badge the ip in the interests of gameplay, e.g. in swtor a sith lord has the same power as a republic trooper, within the ip he could probably take on 20+ at once and win.
    Originally posted by asrlohz

Oh I know housing is possible, it was a fun poke at how unimaginative and apparently lacking in ability they are. It is funny to be following a game that states housing is too difficult (Mat Frior said that!)  and another game where the discussion is about claiming land for your house so you can grow your own crops, raise animals, milk cows....

All these problems and arguments currently going on, and it seems to be racial faction locks and megaserver tech for the most part, all seem to stem from the developers choices and design (and our lack of choices and observation of lacking design).

I wish the developers of TESO and Archage were swapped at birth so we might get gameplay you could hope for in a TESO game to do the title justice.

I'm sorry but that is utter bullshit. I really love Archeage's concept but it's obvious that no one but the original TES team could create TESO the way it should be. The problem is that it isn't the original TES team creating TESO, it's Zenimax. The TES team is located in Bethesda, a branch of Zenimax.

I just wish Firor could get his thumb out of his bum and leave the game to someone with experience in immersive gaming worlds, such as Tod Brown.

Other than that is that, you've got some very valid points. Cheers.

Err daoc had an immerse gaming world.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

This is the real problem wish breaking accepted molds.  Most often that the company that does the breaking, coming up with groundbreaking new technology or ideas, is usually not the company that profits from it the most.  More often than not the company that profits is the one 2 or 3 generations down the line, that takes that mold breaking tech and improves upon it.  Cashing in and making the huge profits.

Two companies very well known for this.

• WoW - Has never had an "original" idea, but they are king of the mountain for taking other's innovations & improving on them to better their owng game.
    • GW2 - Dynamic events are based off of Warhammer Online's public quests.  Just in a much more dynamic way.  Warhammer poorly implimented them, GW2 advanced the idea and profitited.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by jimdandy26 Originally posted by sapphen Sure those polls, there was also one floating around on the ESO forums.  I still am willing to bet that the trend would be similar if it was on a large scale.  Most MMO players also play TES games because both are on the computer.  TES games do well, therefore I would conclude that most MMO players are TES fans (although most TES fans are not MMO players because of the console variable).
    If you like to gamble your money in that way so be it, but considering how dispersed the demographics are I do not believe the overlap is anywhere near as close as you think it is. Especially when you consider how much better the TES games sell on console for example, or the very reasons why players play mmos in the first place (you know that whole other player thing) versus a single player game. The point is, judging from inherently flawed polls is hilarious. Or do you want to take polls such as the one from Darthhater showing how awesome Swtor's cash shop is?
    Until there is a sure way of knowing, I'll stick by the "inherently flawed polls" on this site and ESO.  I believe the trend would be very similar - or at least a lot closer than what you're suggesting.  It's not like there is a whole group of people who are totally separate not voting at all, except console users with no computer access.  In large scale surveys they only need to tally 5% of the population to get the results (I believe it's around 5% but it's been a while since my sociological class).

How does that even make sense? In the one had you have an unknown, and on the other you have something you know is flawed, but you don't know how it's flawed.

Your statement on polling is wrong. It doesn't have as much to do with the percentage of the population as it does knowing how to run the poll and how to process the data received from the poll to get the answer you want.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by lizardbones

How does that even make sense? In the one had you have an unknown, and on the other you have something you know is flawed, but you don't know how it's flawed.

Your statement on polling is wrong. It doesn't have as much to do with the percentage of the population as it does knowing how to run the poll and how to process the data received from the poll to get the answer you want.

How to run the poll?  It's a simple question; are you a fan of TES, MMOs or both.  How could anyone reword that to get the answer they want?  Flawed or not it still affirms my suspicion that most MMO players are also TES fans.  I'm not taking it to court but I think it's enough to claim to be true until otherwise proven.

Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by lizardbones

How to run the poll?  It's a simple question; are you a fan of TES, MMOs or both.  How could anyone reword that to get the answer they want?  Flawed or not it still affirms my suspicion that most MMO players are also TES fans.  I'm not taking it to court but I think it's enough to claim to be true until otherwise proven.

That doesn't necessarily mean that all of those would like TES to be an MMO, also if the poll was done on MMORPG.com or any other MMO focused site, of course not that many would vote for TES alone.