Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] URDEAD Online: Introducing URDead Online

Comments

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Stopped reading at the title
  • itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Aeonblades writes:

Cool....Another post apocalypytic/zombie game. Great. The market isn't saturated with this garbage already. Catch up already, no real gamer has played a zombie game since left 4 dead, and even then, zombies were pretty played out. For the love of all that is holy someone get a new idea!

.....except Dead Island you mean? Many people played Dead Island. Many people also play and played the most recent Resident Evil titles. Id much rather give a company a chance that is up front if the game is fun to play then a company that hides stuff and releases broken games.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Fact is zombies whether in movies or games always have fans that will play/watch whatever is associated with them. If they release a good game and another company sees it and backs them with a bigger budget/more money to hire more devs whos to say it couldnt turn into something great?
  • jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Cool....Another post apocalypytic/zombie game. Great. The market isn't saturated with this garbage already. Catch up already, no real gamer has played a zombie game since left 4 dead, and even then, zombies were pretty played out. For the love of all that is holy someone get a new idea!

Yeah, like elves and wizards and rolling green hills with deep, dark caves in them!  Muscle-bound meatheads being fawned over by half-naked female toons while slaying 3-headed trolls/dragons/rock formations.  Y.A.W.N.  There's only one utterly saturated theme in MMORPGs and it ain't zombie games.  Yet.  

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Just-The-Facts

So since you and your buddies became bored of zombie games that must mean the rest of the world has too? And what fad? Zombie lore has been apart of countless cultures since the dawn of civilization. The world is bigger than your backyard, hate to break it to you.

Derek39 has it right the genre desperately needs to have some quality interjected into it since all we have right now is quantity and a whole lot of it. This title certainly did peak my interest with a few innovative features for multiplayer like the infection chance (brings me back to my days of playing Zombie Panic Source). I won't go so far as to make a judgement call on the success or failure of the title because its still being DEVELOPED and like a sane person I realize I can't predict the future.

Or I could jump on the "hate band-wagon" like most of you and crap all over every new title announced; then I could complain about how monthly subs, B2P, F2P, PVP, PVE, RvR, NPC's, PC's, stats, quests, leveling, item drops, cash shops, dungeons, raiding, party systems, auction houses, zombies, elves, robots, ninjas, nazis and life in general is played out and we need something new...The only thing gaming needs is a new customer base because its current population is rife with spoiled brats who want everything but aren't ever happy with anything.

Me, my buddies, random guy walking down the street agree. The zombie fad is dead. Let it go. Drop the hate. No one is going to a take a game where they can't even spell You and Are. It's really a moot point how bad the game will be because most people will be turned off by the title alone. See this thread for examples.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Just-The-FactsJust-The-Facts Member UncommonPosts: 35

So since you and your buddies became bored of zombie games that must mean the rest of the world has too? And what fad? Zombie lore has been apart of countless cultures since the dawn of civilization. The world is bigger than your backyard, hate to break it to you.

Derek39 has it right the genre desperately needs to have some quality interjected into it since all we have right now is quantity and a whole lot of it. This title certainly did peak my interest with a few innovative features for multiplayer like the infection chance (brings me back to my days of playing Zombie Panic Source). I won't go so far as to make a judgement call on the success or failure of the title because its still being DEVELOPED and like a sane person I realize I can't predict the future.

Or I could jump on the "hate band-wagon" like most of you and crap all over every new title announced; then I could complain about how monthly subs, B2P, F2P, PVP, PVE, RvR, NPC's, PC's, stats, quests, leveling, item drops, cash shops, dungeons, raiding, party systems, auction houses, zombies, elves, robots, ninjas, nazis and life in general is played out and we need something new...The only thing gaming needs is a new customer base because its current population is rife with spoiled brats who want everything but aren't ever happy with anything.

Me, my buddies, random guy walking down the street agree. The zombie fad is dead. Let it go. Drop the hate. No one is going to a take a game where they can't even spell You and Are. It's really a moot point how bad the game will be because most people will be turned off by the title alone. See this thread for examples.

I will re-iterate the world is bigger than your backyard. You, your buddies and the random guy walking down the street do not constitute the bulk of the consumer base, no matter how much your ego thinks it does.

And its ironic you would tell me to drop the hate after you bash an entire genre simply because you don't like it. You know virtually nothing about this game except what you read in this thread (the only one covering this title so far) so drop the ignorance. Also I wonder did you also bash the Left 4 Dead series simply because they used the number 4 instead of the word For? URDEAD is obviously a play on the word UNDEAD, but you keep judging books by their covers because we all know that always works out well.

If I were to choose what games I play based upon the general consensus of peoples opinions in this and most threads on this site I would be left with what? A whole lot of nothing.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

There's how many high fantasy games out?  The zombie game genre has barely been touched, and people keep going on about all the zombie games out there. 

DayZ isn't an MMO, and WarZ...well it exiists.  Where are all these zombie mmo's people are sick of?  I can think of like 5 single player zombie games, and left 4 dead accounts for 2 of them. 

I could spend the next day and a half listing all of the fantasy RPG's out there. 

It's like a bunch of grown men who are in love with my little pony have taken it upon themselves to wage a propoganda war, and convince everyone that no one likes zombies.  You guys are wrong, and giant frigging weirdos to boot. 

• Sauteed_OnionSauteed_Onion Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Uhwop

There's how many high fantasy games out?  The zombie game genre has barely been touched, and people keep going on about all the zombie games out there. 

DayZ isn't an MMO, and WarZ...well it exiists.  Where are all these zombie mmo's people are sick of?  I can think of like 5 single player zombie games, and left 4 dead accounts for 2 of them. 

I could spend the next day and a half listing all of the fantasy RPG's out there. 

It's like a bunch of grown men who are in love with my little pony have taken it upon themselves to wage a propoganda war, and convince everyone that no one likes zombies.  You guys are wrong, and giant frigging weirdos to boot. 

Zombies ate my pony.

There's uh like more than 5 zombie games just in Resident Evil. If you're going to stand up for your "genre", then put more effort into it. Granted most of the RE games are older, and yes there's a crap ton of fantasy mmorpg's. I will also add at least those fantasy RPG's have "zombie" in em, this is probably like a sub genre within a genre.. By all means dude, I'm sure this will have it's flock of 13 year olds who've talked some random 40 year old single parent to playing with them which will keep it afloat, and feel free to join them but this will not be the injection of quality into the "genre" which it needs, not with a name like URDEAD, and not with first gen playstation 2 graphics (and that's cutting it some slack). I could be wrong, but I didn't downcast Minecraft and the graphics were way worse. In the event this blows up into like Pokemon success levels, I'll eat an ice cream in it's name, and honor it's glorious battle against the odds it has yet to wage. (Srsly, zombie died in the 80's along with zombie gore flicks, which was more comedy than horror.)

Originally posted by Sauteed_Onion

Zombies ate my pony.

There's uh like more than 5 zombie games just in Resident Evil. If you're going to stand up for your "genre", then put more effort into it. Granted most of the RE games are older, and yes there's a crap ton of fantasy mmorpg's. I will also add at least those fantasy RPG's have "zombie" in em, this is probably like a sub genre within a genre.. By all means dude, I'm sure this will have it's flock of 13 year olds who've talked some random 40 year old single parent to playing with them which will keep it afloat, and feel free to join them but this will not be the injection of quality into the "genre" which it needs, not with a name like URDEAD, and not with first gen playstation 2 graphics (and that's cutting it some slack). I could be wrong, but I didn't downcast Minecraft and the graphics were way worse. In the event this blows up into like Pokemon success levels, I'll eat an ice cream in it's name, and honor it's glorious battle against the odds it has yet to wage. (Srsly, zombie died in the 80's along with zombie gore flicks, which was more comedy than horror.)

Then explain the success of The Walking Dead? Or Shaun of the Dead? Or Dawn of the Dead (the 2004 remake)? Or the fact that two blockbuster zombie flicks are being released this year. And I would like to point out that if the zombie "fad" is truly dead and there is no market for the genre than how did a pile of crap like War Z cause such controversy? If no one wants zombie games than no one would have bought into that scam...but many did, and why? Perhaps the allure of ZOMBIES had something to do with it....

Zombies ate my pony.

Then explain the success of The Walking Dead? Or the fact that two blockbuster zombie flicks are being released very shortly. And I would like to point out that if the zombie "fad" is truly dead and there is no market for the genre than how did a pile of crap like War Z cause such controversy? If no one wants zombie games than no one would have bought into that scam...but many did, and why? Perhaps the allure of ZOMBIES had something to do with it....

I wouldn't use the Walking Dead as a reference, that show flopped after the first few episodes for a lot of people. I get some people are just catching on to the zombie fad of years ago, but a lot of us are tired of having the most boring monster in fantasy jammed down our throats. (Besides maybe a large rat. No telling how many virtual rats have died.) I'm sure zombie MMO's will always have those die hard fans, but most of them are going to end in the same way. Boom.

To each their own, as long as you are having fun does it really matter though? I hope for their sake someone eventually releases a successfull zombie mmo, but I have my doubts if this is the one.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Srsly, zombie died in the 80's along with zombie gore flicks, which was more comedy than horror.

zombies very popular in present

-- thanks to shows like Walking Dead and books like World War Z

from todays news:

'World War Z' Super Bowl Spot Debuts New Breed Of Zombie

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1701205/super-bowl-trailers-spots-world-war-z.jhtml

even have groups in states making weird news proclaiming they are ready for a zombie attack

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/03/3993965/kansas-militia-expects-zombies.html

ive never seen Zombies so popular since the early 70s

Zombies ate my pony.

Then explain the success of The Walking Dead? Or the fact that two blockbuster zombie flicks are being released very shortly. And I would like to point out that if the zombie "fad" is truly dead and there is no market for the genre than how did a pile of crap like War Z cause such controversy? If no one wants zombie games than no one would have bought into that scam...but many did, and why? Perhaps the allure of ZOMBIES had something to do with it....

I wouldn't use the Walking Dead as a reference, that show flopped after the first few episodes for a lot of people. I get some people are just catching on to the zombie fad of years ago, but a lot of us are tired of having the most boring monster in fantasy jammed down our throats. (Besides maybe a large rat. No telling how many virtual rats have died.) I'm sure zombie MMO's will always have those die hard fans, but most of them are going to end in the same way. Boom.

To each their own, as long as you are having fun does it really matter though? I hope for their sake someone eventually releases a successfull zombie mmo, but I have my doubts if this is the one.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-walking-dead-makes-ratings-history-beats-every-other-show-fall-lineup

Yeah you're completely right....total flop of a show. You going to ever back up your claims with facts or just try and pass your opinions off as facts?

Ok ok, Let's nitpick the one line I got in (  ) at the very end of very real and honest observations, which I'll stand beside, there is nothing original or worth any weight in my mind about anything to do with "zombie" culture. If you want to stand up and white knight this game, please do. I could use more lol's in my life. Fact: It is my opinion this game gonna be about as good as the title.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Ok ok, Let's nitpick the one line I got in (  ) at the very end of very real and honest observations, which I'll stand beside, there is nothing original or worth any weight in my mind about anything to do with "zombie" culture. If you want to stand up and white knight this game, please do. I could use more lol's in my life. Fact: It is my opinion this game gonna be about as good as the title.

The name is terrible, what next LRN2NOOB Online

Originally posted by RefMinor

The name is terrible, what next LRN2NOOB Online

I should probably stop before I get called a troll, or hurt somebodies feelings. But this just takes the cake.

Zombies ate my pony.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-walking-dead-makes-ratings-history-beats-every-other-show-fall-lineup

Yeah you're completely right....total flop of a show. You going to ever back up your claims with facts or just try and pass your opinions off as facts?

I'm sorry you don't like my opinion, or the people I know personally. Sounds like an issue you need to work out with yourself about whether or not other peoples opinions really affect you. I, as well as a lot of my RL friends, and some people I have talked to in my guild, did not enjoy the show. Did I say the show failed? No, I just said as many people enjoyed it as didn't. For a lot of zombie fans it was a flop, one of my friends is so far into the zombie craze I doubt he will ever come out, and he dislikes the show as well.

I'm sorry it's not the answer you wanted, maybe one day opinions will not bother you, at no point did I say "THIS IS A FACT" I always said it was my opinion, or people I know personally. At this point it just seems like you are grasping at straws to start a fight, and I just don't really care about your opinion. You should do the same for me.

Zombies ate my pony.

I'm sorry you don't like my opinion, or the people I know personally. Sounds like an issue you need to work out with yourself about whether or not other peoples opinions really affect you. I, as well as a lot of my RL friends, and some people I have talked to in my guild, did not enjoy the show. Did I say the show failed? No, I just said as many people enjoyed it as didn't. For a lot of zombie fans it was a flop, one of my friends is so far into the zombie craze I doubt he will ever come out, and he dislikes the show as well.

I'm sorry it's not the answer you wanted, maybe one day opinions will not bother you, at no point did I say "THIS IS A FACT" I always said it was my opinion, or people I know personally. At this point it just seems like you are grasping at straws to start a fight, and I just don't really care about your opinion. You should do the same for me.

Dude, that link just owned your "opinion". You told him not to use the walking dead as a reference because the show flopped.

for those who can't be bothered to click:

""The Walking Dead" has made television history as the first cable series ever to pull in the highest ratings for the Fall broadcast season among the adult age 18-49 demographic. With this distinction it beat every other broadcast and cable entertainment shows of the season"

Zombies ate my pony.

Dude, that link just owned your "opinion". You told him not to use the walking dead as a reference because the show flopped.

""The Walking Dead" has made television history as the first cable series ever to pull in the highest ratings for the Fall broadcast season among the adult age 18-49 demographic. With this distinction it beat every other broadcast and cable entertainment shows of the season"

What part of popularity doesn't mean everyone likes the same thing don't you guys understand? Is this the same crowd that thinks WoW invented MMOs? I never claimed the whole show flopped. I said, verbatim, that show flopped after the first few episodes for a lot of people. I did not say flopped completely oh my god the worst show ever. I just know people who like it and people who don't like it.

Everyone here takes every post as fact, it's amusing. And highly entertaining.

Zombies ate my pony.

What part of popularity doesn't mean everyone likes the same thing don't you guys understand? Is this the same crowd that thinks WoW invented MMOs? I never claimed the whole show flopped. I said, verbatim, that show flopped after the first few episodes for a lot of people. I did not say flopped completely oh my god the worst show ever. I just know people who like it and people who don't like it.

Everyone here takes every post as fact, it's amusing. And highly entertaining.

Clearly it didn't flop for a lot of people. Don't you adjust your opinion to take into account of the facts?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Zombie MMOs are sort of a hot topic these days, and lots of companies seem to want in on the action. Today, we're presenting a novel take on the genre, URDead Online. Being billed as a "small scale online role-playing horror game" or SSORPHG, URDead has quite a few interesting design ideas that seek to set it apart from the throng of zombie shooters out there.

URDEAD Online (UDO) is something we’re half-jokingly calling a SMORPHS: Small-Scale Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Horror Survival (the “Game” is silent.) As our tidy acronym implies, UDO won’t release with the scale of bigger MMOs. We just don’t have the manpower to create dozens of areas; instead, we’ll release new areas as we polish them and feel they are ready for players to be eaten in. Second, UDO is a survival game.  When out in the world, players will want to stay aware of their character. They’ll need to eat and drink whatever they can find to stay effective, scouring for weapons, ammo, crafting materials, and other necessities – while fighting to stay alive. Banding together will have big advantages in certain situations.

the Survival aspect may make this game interesting

personally im waiting for Jeff Strains survival sandbox mmo

http://www.tentonhammer.com/undead-labs ... ay-16-2011

At the Lab we refer to the game we are making as a “survival sandbox” game.

We want to drop you into the heart of a zombie apocalypse and let you put your personal survival plan to the test in an open world,with no predefined quest paths, no levels, no corridors, and no canned character progression; just you, your plan, your equipment, and your wits.

Clearly it didn't flop for a lot of people. Don't you adjust your opinion to take into account of the facts?

No because the 'facts', which are completely irrelevant to what I was talking about, have no bearing on my opinion or other people who have already seen and don't like the show. Whether 10 million people enjoyed it or 100 million people. Good for the people who enjoyed it, and more power to them, but for a lot of my friends and myself, it was a flop. At no point did I ever say the show was a complete failure anyway, just that I don't know anyone personally who enjoyed it past the first season. a lot =/= all.

Hell even though I'm beyond tired of zombies, I even watched the first 6 episodes. Note I said I'm, not everyone please :D

Zombies ate my pony.

If you don't like people debating your "opinions" then I suggest you don't come to a public forum. Sounds like you have a problem with people not agreeing with you. Toughen up if your going to continue posting because we are not all just going to nod our heads and agree with everything you say. Instead of dodging the issues presented why don't you present some FACTS to back up your side of the argument? Or just continue trolling, your choice. image

No because the 'facts', which are completely irrelevant to what I was talking about, have no bearing on my opinion or other people who have already seen and don't like the show. Whether 10 million people enjoyed it or 100 million people. Good for the people who enjoyed it, and more power to them, but for a lot of my friends and myself, it was a flop. At no point did I ever say the show was a complete failure anyway, just that I don't know anyone personally who enjoyed it past the first season. a lot =/= all.

Hell even though I'm beyond tired of zombies, I even watched the first 6 episodes. Note I said I'm, not everyone please :D

The exact phrase you used was "I wouldn't use the Walking Dead as a reference, that show flopped after the first few episodes for a lot of people." Translation : The Walking Dead isnt popular or successful enough to use as a good example when defending the issue of wether or not the Zombie genre is dead.

I then present you with a link that proves without a shadow of a doubt that The Walking Dead is a very good example to provide when defending the Zombie genre's popularity. Do you take to the forums to present well thought out counter points or even facts of your own...no, you choose to backpedal and cower behind semantics. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone (thats what makes debates fun) but you don't seem to know the difference between "your world" and the real world.

Alright gents, this whole thing about semantics and wildness started with a some idiocy I put in ( ) at the end of some very valid observations. I recognized it was hyperbole before I even wrote it. The point I am making was actually something I said in the 2nd snippet I even said here. It was that the zombie thing played out of ideas in the 80's (and I'll go a stretch and even say mid 90's) as far as innovative cool new ideas. Everything since has been a "gorier" grittier version ever since, and this was before zombie games started popping up all over. My opinion on this whole genre remains as I previously said, the whole thing is good in a Tommy Wiseau's The Room is good way, it's just not. It's wildly more believable that people actually watch that show because it was an awe inspiring theatric masterpiece, than it is to assume this game is going to interject quality and anything meaningful into this genre with a name like URDEAD and visuals on par with what's shown here. The concept is about as original as World of Warcrafts' and will probably nab a small portion of that audience and everyone will have their fairy fruity cup cakes and live happily ever after. Please by all means, continue to buy into this absolute garbage, so that it will continue to proliferate and saturate our markets for generations to come. And when something brilliant and truly monumental comes around, feel free to insult and bicker every little minute detail when it does happen. In the mean time, enjoy arguing with eachother (and me when I actually have time to do more than just lurk).

I'll state a fact, this caught my attention not because it looked cool, or that it was a zombie title, but because I just could NOT believe a name like URDEAD was seriously considered enough in the first place to be on the drawing board. That is a fact, that's exactly what I thought. I was like oh god, how stupid is this going to be. I was floored. The line that specifically got me was "We want UDO to push the zombie apocalypse setting in some new directions." Cool beans. I hope they can pull it off, perhaps some part of me will be less bitter or cynical towards MMORPG's in the first place. As I said, if they happen to bound into the realm of top 10's or whatever, I'll eat a ice cream in their honor.

Alright gents, this whole thing about semantics and wildness started with a some idiocy I put in ( ) at the end of some very valid observations. I recognized it was hyperbole before I even wrote it. The point I am making was actually something I said in the 2nd snippet I even said here. It was that the zombie thing played out of ideas in the 80's (and I'll go a stretch and even say mid 90's) as far as innovative cool new ideas. Everything since has been a "gorier" grittier version ever since, and this was before zombie games started popping up all over. My opinion on this whole genre remains as I previously said, the whole thing is good in a Tommy Wiseau's The Room is good way, it's just not. It's wildly more believable that people actually watch that show because it was an awe inspiring theatric masterpiece, than it is to assume this game is going to interject quality and anything meaningful into this genre with a name like URDEAD and visuals on par with what's shown here. The concept is about as original as World of Warcrafts' and will probably nab a small portion of that audience and everyone will have their fairy fruity cup cakes and live happily ever after. Please by all means, continue to buy into this absolute garbage, so that it will continue to proliferate and saturate our markets for generations to come. And when something brilliant and truly monumental comes around, feel free to insult and bicker every little minute detail when it does happen. In the mean time, enjoy arguing with eachother (and me when I actually have time to do more than just lurk).

I'll state a fact, this caught my attention not because it looked cool, or that it was a zombie title, but because I just could NOT believe a name like URDEAD was seriously considered enough in the first place to be on the drawing board. That is a fact, that's exactly what I thought. I was like oh god, how stupid is this going to be. I was floored. The line that specifically got me was "We want UDO to push the zombie apocalypse setting in some new directions." Cool beans. I hope they can pull it off, perhaps some part of me will be less bitter or cynical towards MMORPG's in the first place. As I said, if they happen to bound into the realm of top 10's or whatever, I'll eat a ice cream in their honor.

This became much more than "Will URDEAD be successfull?". In fact at no point in this thread did anyone claim this title was the QUALITY zombie mmo the genre needs, so im not sure where you were going with that? Most of this thread was just the same...dumb name = bad game argument. Which is of course such a valid and precise way to judge a games quality. No this thread evolved into a debate on wether or not there is a viable market out there for zombie themed media or has the "fad" died out?  Slightly off topic? Yes but regardless still the debate at hand.

You state that everything since the 80's (and mid 90's) has just been "gorier" grittier versions of the zombie media of those times. Explain unique zombie movies like Fido, Shaun of the Dead or (the sick and twisted) Dead Girl, all movies released after 2000. Most of the zombie genre is, on a fluctuating scale, similar to each other but what genre doesn't suffer this? War movies? Westerns? Crime drama? Teen comedies? Romance? Fantasy? These are all genres that share similarities from story to story for the most part.  I don't see any of these genres including the Zombie genre dissapearing because of this.

I totally agree that The Walking Dead is an awe-inspiring theatric masterpiece and has without a doubt played a part in its widespread success, but lets not forget this show started out as an indie comic and due to that comics rather extensive, large and lets not forget international fanbase it was transformed into a TV series. Are you honestly going to say that the fact that it has zombies in it has nothing or at the very least a minimal impact on why so many people enjoy it? Also explain why zombie costumes were the #5 most popular costume of Halloween 2012? Not Rick or Shane costumes but ZOMBIE costumes.

Not pointing fingers but I can't comprehend why anyone who has a problem with arguing would come to a public forum and put their ideas out for everyone to read? Thats like going to the beach and complaining about the sand. Debating issues is what public forums are for. If you can't be bothered to defend your arguments logically and factually then why bother posting them to begin with? I love a good debate and thrive on differing opinions but I will not stand by and let people just run off at the mouth without demanding an explanation.

So in conclusion will URDEAD be successfull? I don't know because I nor anyone I know can predict the future. I'll just have to wait and see and hope that it can pull it off. But the success or failure does not change the fact that Zombies have been around long before you or I and will still be around long after you and I have turned to dust. The Zombie "fad" has been going on since the dawn of civilization and no amount of crap games and campy movies is going to change that.