Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Path of Exile: Walking the Path of Exile

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537
    I'm loving this game...

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

I know it's a first impressions review but from what I've read:

Duelist, Witch, Ranger, Templar, Marauder, and Shadow. Each have their own distinct flavor, but all share a common passive skill tree.

Tells me you truely haven't done your research on this title.  Classes share  no differences other than the avatar's looks and the position on the skill tree. Any of the classes can be exactly the same. All skills can be learned by all classes.

A Witch can be a two-handed maul expert and a duelist can be a summoner or a mage. There's no distinction between them. Only the distinct flavor are the skills themselves.

true but not true, if you take a witch and make her a 2h mauler, yes you can, but you will never be as strong as a marauder who does the same.

the min/maxers take the style they want to play, and max that style

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    It is what Diablo III should have been instead of the POS Blizzard produced.  

Such an original comment. Never heard anyone say that!

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    It is what Diablo III should have been instead of the POS Blizzard produced.  

Such an original comment. Never heard anyone say that!

so glad Diablo III wasn't like this POS...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Great article... spot on.

I aint had this much fun in a arpg for a very long time and at last one without silly scooby do graphics...

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    I'm having a blast with this game, i love the character costumization aspect of it.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I love this game !  It has been a ray of sunshine on a rather bleak gaming scene.

Yes, there are some minor issues, bugs and growing pains. No biggie to me.

I do have rule against paying for Beta testing though. So I want them to release. I will gladly send them some money the day they do.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    This game is FUN and its free. I would gladly pay for this game cause it delivers what other "big  name" games couldnt.
  • MataOCDMataOCD Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    I love running around PoE and killing monster after monster endlessly.

Yea, I agree, grinding in this game is fun, awesome game!

P.S. off topic I think Sacred, Titan Quest and Torchlight are awesome games!

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    There's nothing benefitial to a character with 0% crit and you've missed the end of my passage stating that because of the fact that rare gear is easily obtainable there's no reason to risk a HC characters life to fight a boss when they can simply just farm the easy monsters safely.

There are plenty of builds that already take resolute technique so having that as a drawback on an item is fine, in fact it's quite nice. What about the unique Maraketh Bow, Darkscorn? Converts 25% of physical damage dealt and recieved to chaos damage. Sounds like an easy 25% damage reduction for anyone with Chaos Innoculation or a quick and easy death for Life/ES builds. Just because you can't see an immediate use for something doesn't mean it can't be used efficiently. I seem to recall the most OP build GGG have ever seen anyone play revolved around the node Eldritch Battery, bet you expected that didn't you?

I play exlusively HC characters and 'farming the easy stuff' doesn't work unless your gear is way way way behind. Let me copy/paste something that might help you understand why. It's all found on the mechanics thread on the beta general discussion forum.

Drop rates
    There is a penalty to the chance of currency items (scrolls, orbs, etc.) dropping in areas with a monster level more than two levels lower than your character level. For each additional level that you have compared to the area's monster level+2, the chance of a currency item drop is reduced by 2.5%.
    So if you are level 30 in a level 20 area, you will see 20% less currency item drops on average:
    2.5*(30-(20+2))=20
    A level 30 character in a level 28 area will see no penalty.
    Currency item Drops are not increased or decreased in this way when fighting in areas above your level.
    For the purposes of this penalty, your level is never considered to be higher than 68. Therefore a level 75 character receives no penalty in a level 66 area.

The second thing that will stop you farming lower level areas is that the modifiers (and sockets) that can roll on items is determined by the item level, which is the same as the area level (Unless it's dropped from a magic or rare monster, those can be 2 levels higher than the area level I believe). This means that farming lower level areas is just not going to cut it long term, you'll be getting less orbs and you'll be getting worse mods on the items that are dropping.

If you don't think there's enough reward for risks taken (especially for HC characters) then why not go ask players like Nugiyen who are farming end game maps as oppose to the normal game areas why they are taking such unnecessary risks? The only time when the risk isn't worth it is if you can't build a character properly or don't understand your limits.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by paulytheb

I love this game !  It has been a ray of sunshine on a rather bleak gaming scene.

Yes, there are some minor issues, bugs and growing pains. No biggie to me.

I do have rule against paying for Beta testing though. So I want them to release. I will gladly send them some money the day they do.

It's open beta now, you don't need to pay! Just create an account and away you go.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I got tired of it pretty quickly actually (like by level 5).......There were just too many gamebreaking elements in this game.....I'm glad all the bnet kids found their true successor to Diablo 2 but this game just wasn't for me.

• laxika91laxika91 Member Posts: 50
    There's nothing benefitial to a character with 0% crit and you've missed the end of my passage stating that because of the fact that rare gear is easily obtainable there's no reason to risk a HC characters life to fight a boss when they can simply just farm the easy monsters safely.

Man, I just recovered my acc here to post to you. That 200% hammer is EPIC for the Berserker 'Cookie Cutter' build, because those chars has 0% cit chance from a skill called 'Resolute Technique'. Check any top end Berserker, all of em has that skill. So if a Berzy wears that maul, it don't have any negative side effects, and actually an epic maul for that build.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I got tired of it pretty quickly actually (like by level 5).......There were just too many gamebreaking elements in this game.....I'm glad all the bnet kids found their true successor to Diablo 2 but this game just wasn't for me.

game breaking elements ?

Been testing this game since last summer and i dont think i have come accross 1 game breaking bug..

• iksuhoeiksuhoe Member Posts: 3
    What makes a flawless game in your eyes could be absolute trash in others
  • DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by iksuhoe
    What makes a flawless game in your eyes could be absolute trash in others

Especially someone who plays the game for 15 minutes (level 5) and doesn't have a clue about how the game works.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

I did not care for d3 -- I played it for maybe 3 days.  Guess my expectations were too high.  I tried this game with zero expections, however, and was pretty surprised that I was and still am having fun with it.  

The skill trees are just nuts.  I've spent hours just staring at that darn thing.  You can never completely respec so you have to be sure of the path you will take.  Like others have said above, there are no limitations based on class.  If you are willing to spend the skill points to cross into some other areas of the skill tree, you can do so and I find that some of these leaps across the skill board can be well worth it.  

Here is the link to the skill tree if you want to check it out.  Just scroll to the bottom, pick a class, then check mark the 'full screen'.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree