Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

honestly community is fine, quit trying to focus what aint broke

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Sovrath

These gaming communities are starting to become "Lord of the Flies". Kids without any supervision suddenly going nuts.

Or else one great big explosioin of the Id.

I think thats probably one of the best analogies for online communities these days, that ive seen in a while.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This topic should be about "quit trying to fix what can't be fixed".

Online community is toxic nowdays and it enhances in situations where you add competitive enviroment with random players, where a single mistake can lose the game.

This combined with zero liability of your actions and the mix ain't too good.

Personally I think anyone who wishes someone to get a cancer and die should get their account removed, all the money they've spent on it lost and getting permabanned from the game altogether.

The problem is that worst that can happend for example in LoL is that you lose your account (after your 15th offense) and you need to create a new one.

I loved the system they have/had in korea where you needed your social security number to create an account and if you got banned you pretty much lost your possiblities to play that game ever again. This is why Korean games have great communities and people won't get hostile for some shitty reason.

If you look for example Korean LoL matches they surrender the game if the opponent played excellent early game just out of respect to their opponent. It's not because they don't have _any_ chance of winning, it's because they bow in honor their opponent who played extremely well and there's no reason to lenghten the game any further.

In western world people have two options.

A) They surrender and rage at their team.

B) They continue the game raging and ranting and forcing it to 60minutes because they want to troll their enemies and rage at their team.

c) they continue to game and ignore what the others around them are doing.

d) in PvP they continue to play their best and be a good sport about losing.

Option d) is just you trolling.

This never happends in NA/EU.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

c) they continue to game and ignore what the others around them are doing.

d) in PvP they continue to play their best and be a good sport about losing.

Option d) is just you trolling.

This never happends in NA/EU.

Sure it does. It's just those that can't keep it in their pants, ranting and raving, that overshadow it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

People tend to forget that the 'community' they see is never more than the tiniest fraction of the whole.

I wonder if anyone's ever studied whether forums are just naturally more attractive to certain personailty types...hmm...

The same personality types that favor nettard conversations in the General channel?

Or surly old curmudgeons who favor cane-waving and gitorfmahlawn?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Your kidding right?  Community is fine?  If I ever meet someone in real life that acted like most of these asshats I run into on the internet act, I would knock his block off on the spot.  Community is fine my ass.
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

Thank you OP

I am an avid RP'er. Usually in mmo's the RP community is shit on the hardest even in RP servers because the TOS isn't followed or enforced. You know what we do when an overly asshatish person  shows up... IGNORE THEM.  Getting someone banned just furthers resentment. Turn the other cheek and they get bored and stop trying to ruin rp. Some even reroll just to try it out since we seem like a strange but good group of people.

In more competitive aspects........ dear god people needs to man/woman up and not feel so butthurt.  When you play to win and someone fucks up, they DO DESERVE to be told they fucked up. Pressure increases how fast you fix your mistake.  In the raiding world if you fuck up you might not be invited back the next week.  in the pvp world it isnt a damn pillow fight. "I just caused our team to lose... don't make me feel bad!... now im going to report you because i play bad and you made me feel bad!" If someone is screaming at you in chat because you just fucked their shit up... I dont know about you but the last thing I feel is bad. I get a special little happy feeling that someone is so pissed over how well i just roflstomped them that they spend all their time typing obscenities.  If you are being sworn at because you are blowing it for your team and reporting people. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. Be better.

So you know, to this date I have never been banned from a single game. Nor have I been given a warning in game. I am a rather polite gamer in game. However I reserve my right to tell someone to "go fuck yourself"

If you are honestly hurt over the antics of some trolls on the internet you might want to consider not logging on. QQ more and tell me how out of touch and antiquated I am now. /Flameon

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Your kidding right?  Community is fine?  If I ever meet someone in real life that acted like most of these asshats I run into on the internet act, I would knock his block off on the spot.  Community is fine my ass.

complete bullshit

otherwise westboro baptist chuch wouldnt have a tooth amongst them

Proper beating would solve many problems.

She was a mean old lady, jumping up and own in her high heels on the marble floor of a four-star hotel, and screaming at the top of her lungs at the hapless desk clerk who happened to be present.

You could e-thug on up to her and threaten some block-knockage, but I doubt you could get a word in.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    People in general these days are pussies. You can't communicate the slightest insult without someone being butthurt and crying for mommy.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    When I was working the forklift at my job, they always use to tell me that no matter how many regulations, safeguards and precautions are out there : "No one is ever going to care more about your own safety than you."  I think that applies here as well in that the devs can certainly step in when there is persistent, severe, and manifest abuse, but primary responsiblity belongs to the player because no one will care more than him. DamonVile is right--people will fan the flames, revel in the drama until they are the target of it, at which point they howl with indignation.
    Originally posted by steamtank

Thank you OP

I am an avid RP'er. Usually in mmo's the RP community is shit on the hardest even in RP servers because the TOS isn't followed or enforced. You know what we do when an overly asshatish person  shows up... IGNORE THEM.  Getting someone banned just furthers resentment. Turn the other cheek and they get bored and stop trying to ruin rp. Some even reroll just to try it out since we seem like a strange but good group of people.

In more competitive aspects........ dear god people needs to man/woman up and not feel so butthurt.  When you play to win and someone fucks up, they DO DESERVE to be told they fucked up. Pressure increases how fast you fix your mistake.  In the raiding world if you fuck up you might not be invited back the next week.  in the pvp world it isnt a damn pillow fight. "I just caused our team to lose... don't make me feel bad!... now im going to report you because i play bad and you made me feel bad!" If someone is screaming at you in chat because you just fucked their shit up... I dont know about you but the last thing I feel is bad. I get a special little happy feeling that someone is so pissed over how well i just roflstomped them that they spend all their time typing obscenities.  If you are being sworn at because you are blowing it for your team and reporting people. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. Be better.

So you know, to this date I have never been banned from a single game. Nor have I been given a warning in game. I am a rather polite gamer in game. However I reserve my right to tell someone to "go fuck yourself"

If you are honestly hurt over the antics of some trolls on the internet you might want to consider not logging on. QQ more and tell me how out of touch and antiquated I am now. /Flameon

The community issues are not with games that allow you to "leave" or "ignore".

Toxicity of the community is only issue with games that randomly bunch up people that have to work together and you get punished for leaving. For example in LoL you get banned for leaving games and you are basically force to play with them derps who tell you to dig a hole and rot to death. Even WoW punishes you for leaving but then again that's only 30minutes.

Maybe the core problem is the game developers forcing random people to play together, disabling the possiblity of actually choosing the people to play with.

I tend to avoid using the ignore command, maybe I should try it more often.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Threatening acts of violence on the internet while calling for civility on the internet. How interesting and against the Rules of Conduct.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    People in general these days are pussies. You can't communicate the slightest insult without someone being butthurt and crying for mommy.

Or the cops. They like taking e-thugs off to spend a night in jail, yes they do.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

But we are to believe that they would "knock our blocks of on sight, if they saw us in RL", as some posters for "civility" have suggested.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

People in general these days are children. They can't communicate the slightest thought without inserting an insult or mentioning their butt; I guess their mothers didn't teach them well.

It's fun to say "both ways".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by NorseGod

Threatening acts of violence on the internet while calling for civility on the internet. How interesting and against the Rules of Conduct.

He's not threating anyone specific thus he's not violating any RoC.

If I were to say I'd like to beat up every person on the internet would that actually be considered as a threath?

Nope.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Or the cops. They like taking e-thugs off to spend a night in jail, yes they do.

Not on my watch! Fuck the 5-0! We's e-thugs be ghetto-fabulous!

I hide my nine under my Star Wars sheet-covered mattress.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I haven't heard the term "knock his block off" used in years.  Thanks for the stroll down amnesia lane.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

I haven't heard the term "knock his block off" used in years.  Thanks for the stroll down amnesia lane.

Once you grow up and leave the frat bar, the beer muscles do generally leave, after a time.

Originally posted by NorseGod

But we are to believe that they would "knock our blocks of on sight, if they saw us in RL", as some posters for "civility" have suggested.

You're saying you're not in the least bit scared???

Dude, I pee'd a little at the thought of my block being knocked off! lol

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by dave6660

I remember, "I'll box your jaws!" :D

Really, this "Change must happen" calls for NKVD-like chat policing is basically a variation on "Put price limits on stuff in the auction house!" Too much concern with what other people are doing.

If I were to say I'd like to beat up every person on the internet would that actually be considered as a threath?

No, but it does beg for a Vin Deisel joke!

Originally posted by Icewhite

No, but it does beg for a Vin Deisel joke!

I wanna get my eyes polished so I can beat people up in the dark.

Call this thread of OT'ed. 8)