Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody for an MMO Questionnaire?

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

Look at the amounts spent by people in this thread and that pretty much sums up why most companies rather go the F2P/Cash Shop routes. Sickening.

First to judge. Way to go Goatgod!

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Look at the amounts spent by people in this thread and that pretty much sums up why most companies rather go the F2P/Cash Shop routes. Sickening.

It's observation based on amounts shown for most.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

You know that's about the price of 3 subscription games for 6 months, right?

Yeah...3, not 1. IDK anyone who plays 3 at once though personally.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by BitterClinger

Well, we can't be sure how much is cash shop. It seems the only money some of the people have spent was for the game client only. Of the $300 (est.) I've spent in the last six months, $100 was on monthly subscription fees. Another $90 was spent on game clients, and finally I spent over $100 on cash shop items.

If $300 in 6 months is a sickening amount to spend on a hobby.....he needs to get a better job. Considering the number of hours even casuals play in that time. $50 a month is still nothing.

Movies always put this into perspective. $13 for 2 hrs vrs how much for a whole month ? The cost of a movie is sickening :P yet I go to them all the time.

And some of us use patience and wait for them to come to Redbox. I'd rather be disappointed for $1 than $13.

$300 if used on 1 game is pretty bad (F2P with Cash shop). If distributed amongst many games, well...that is a different story. Many here read too much into things so ready to argue. Guess I could of explained it better as well.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

1. What are the top one or two MMO games you have spent the most hours playing in the last 3 months?

Asheron's Call, GW2 and Torchlight II

2. Which MMO got you hooked on MMO games?

Asheron's Call in 1999

3. If you could wave a magic wand and "fix" all the problems in any one MMO (past or present), which MMO game would you fix ("fix" includes upgrade graphics and animations)?

Asheron's Call - Update Graphics Engine, add an Auction House and Group Finder, change the combat system to be identical to GW2

GW2 - Add hundreds of new skils and make the weapon system identical to the utility system (pick and choose from a list of combat skills)  Add a dungeon Finder, add in hundreds of weapons and armor skins, increase the loot and currency drop rate, remove the anti-bot grinding code and finally add a system to spend unused skill points on armor.weapons skins and add more skills to buy.

4. How much money have you spent on MMO games in the last 6 months, including game client, time cards/subscriptions, gem cards, real money auctions, third-party gold or leveling services, etc)?

over $700

5. If you could turn any setting from a book or movie into a modern MMO, designed to your specifications, which book or movie would you adapt (even if it has already been done)?

Elder Scrolls RPG....ohh wait its coming soon :)

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You know that's about the price of 3 subscription games for 6 months, right?

Yeah...3, not 1. IDK anyone who plays 3 at once though personally.

Now you do.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119

1. What are the top one or two MMO games you have spent the most hours playing in the last 3 months?

WoW, Rift

EQ

3. If you could wave a magic wand and "fix" all the problems in any one MMO (past or present), which MMO game would you fix ("fix" includes upgrade graphics and animations)?

EQ

4. How much money have you spent on MMO games in the last 6 months, including game client, time cards/subscriptions, gem cards, real money auctions, third-party gold or leveling services, etc)?

Probalby around $100

5. If you could turn any setting from a book or movie into a modern MMO, designed to your specifications, which book or movie would you adapt (even if it has already been done)?

Shadow Run

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Quirhid

It's observation based on amounts shown for most.

Where does your "most" come from?  20 or so unique thread responses that didn't even indicate whether or not the money they spent was in cash shop games?  Are you sure you didn't just see a value that's quite large to you, think I hate F2P games with cash shops, and then, to justify your own dislike of the model, attribute that value to cash shops without actually having any clue whether or not that's where it came from?

That's not following where the evidence leads you; that's adjusting the evidence in your own mind to suit your own conclusions.  

But that was only your minor offense.  

Undoubtedly there are people who spend that much money on F2P games (one or multiple) over a 6 month period.  But according to every study available by every game company that has kept track of which users purchase what, these people are in the extreme minority.  And that's the beauty of good f2p models.  That a very small portion of players who have the disposable income available to throw at video games and other means of entertainment, may do so, while the vast majority of players can be more frugal with their gaming habit and ultimately spend significantly less than they would if the game had a sub fee.  

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

TSW POE

WoW

Vanguard

£100 ish

Shadowrun Or Rifts

• AlrcariAlrcari Member Posts: 1

Here's a few questions with the answers that I would give:

My Answers -

GW2

Ultima Online

Earth and Beyond

~$250

Any of the Piers Anthony Series (Xanth or Blue Adept Series)

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

None.

Aber MUD (if MUDS are not MMORPGs then Meridian 59, and if that's not an MMORPG then EverQuest).

EverQuest, only because I want to play a game like it but with updated graphics/UI and some minor fixing/adjustments here and there.

Zero.

Forgotten Realms setting.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

STO

WoW

WAR

210$ (For Goatgod: 150$ was for the GW2 CE)

Front Mission (I know, not a book or movie)

Ooops, forgot MOP CE and 2 months sub = ~310$ total

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

GW2 but I haven't actually played it all that many hours in the last 3 months

DAOC

DAOC

$60 or whatever the standard digital download price of GW 2 was

I'm tired of the usual fantasy settings in MMOs. Maybe a Blade Runner or Road Warrior MMO would be a good change of pace.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Runescape. (I came back to it after a 7 year break)

Anarchy Online

Anarchy Online

$45

Dune. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft

Runescape

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach

$90

Star Wars

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Everquest, Rift

Ultima Online

Dark Age of Camelot

$100+

Dragonlance: World of Krynn (not a working title, but by god I would love it to be.)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

EVE Online

Guild Wars

Ultima Online

About 100€

Firefly

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

GW2

Ultima Online

Vanguard Saga of Heroes

~Euro 200

Codex Alera (Jim Butcher)

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Rift, LOTRO

WoW

LOTRO

~$350

Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan)

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

1. GW2, Forsaken World, Aion, Tera (nothing really hooks me)

2. WoW and GW1

3. I would eliminate/change GW2 and create GW continue x-packs + make all these games up to date (add crafting, AH, housing, make them open world, give more skills to use (but keep skill choose system), add more dungeons and finder tool...oh well GW games got a great potential but dead...

4. about 100$, last 6 months I did nothing much, as can't find good game to play.

5. I would use fantasy books (are really many of them) or create my own world.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

Mabinogi

FFXI

None.  No game can be upgraded to my liking until the machines we run them on are.

~$100

Forgotten Realms

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Shores of Hazeron

Ultima Online (1997)

Star Wars Galaxies or Star Trek Online or Pirates of the Burning Sea or Uncharted Waters Online

0$ (been playing F2P)

Frank Herbert's DUNE

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Hey this should be fun.

SWtoR, GW2 in that order. Honestly its SWtoR, PS2 but I dont consider Planet Side 2 a true MMO.

Eve Online

Warhammer Online, god if only there was such a wand.      (PotBS is a great game btw, it deserves better)

~$400, I think thats about accurate.

Shadow Run           (Or a true to the genre D&D 3.5 game. Not the shit we've got, or that we have coming)

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Zero.  Haven't played an MMO in almost a year.

Ultima Online would be my first.

Anarchy Online.  Might actually give it the graphics upgrade they've been talking about for years.

Zero.  Don't plan on spending any more any time soon either.

None.  I hate adaptations.  They always disappoint.  I want a brand new, totally original, huge sci-fi MMO with nothing that even remotely resembles magic anywhere in it.

Yes, I know it will never happen.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None