Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge or The Elder Scrolls Online

Comments

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    I simply cant pick one. So i will play TESO for the PvP and AA for Crafting.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Archeage. The perfect mix of Sandbox and Themepark IMO. Player ships, houses, guild keeps, diving, treasur hunting, sieges, pirate faction, doesnt seemed dependant on gear treadmill, I could go on and on. 

The only reasons ill check TESO out is RVR and that its a TES game.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Without a doubt ESO.  ArcheAge is just to much of a clone for my tastes.

LOL! You seriously believe that statement? ROFL!

Yup seeing as combat is easily 90% of a games main focus and AA uses a very archaic bland WoW style tab targetting combat system AA is more clone then ESO ever will be.

Wait because AA uses tab targetting combat its more of a Wow clone then TESO? Which we already know is intanced focused, trinity, classes, and has no housing? 

Mind Boggling.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Sidraket
    Originally posted by eldaris

TESO but depends on how big is the world, if there are zones linked by portals or an open world like Vanguard ,how important is crafting compared to dungeons drops , if they force people into raids for endgame or not and the most important how fun is the faction vs faction pvp.I hope they managed to do something like planetside or at least warhammer for pvp but I need to try it, gw 2 pvp sounded great until I played it .
    ArcheAge , I would have tried if they had PVE only servers or faction vs faction, not interested in FFA or guild vs guild pvp.Too bad developers seem to think the only way to make a sandbox is to force people into these types of PVP.
    Anyway I hope that both of them launch with lot of features and polished, with so many mmos out there players will not give many chances to a newly launched game.

I can already tell you what TESO will be like. It will be a wow clone with rvr tacked on like WAR was, only i actually think they will get rvr done a little better than WAR did.

Should you be confused as to what a wow clone is: a wow clone is an EQ clone with instanced dungeons and soloquestgrinding to the level cap.

Depending on how bad they mess up TES lore, and how good the rvr ends up being, it may be a decent game. Im not getting my hopes up though.

Wrong a WoW clone isa game that features a linear game world, from creation to level cap.  A reliance on questing through a hand holding system and a class based system with zero deviation from the trinity gameplay.  It also features systems which radically change from creation to level cap.  i.e. Solo Questing through the level up portion culminating in an endgame consisting of grinding dungeons and raiding for gear which is a radical departure from the initial early levels.  WoW and their clones also foster asshatery style game play, sysstems that promote competition among resources even amongst your own factions with mob tagging and single use crafting resource gathering.  Lets also not forget the stand still and exchange blows of the combat system....yes that glorious tab targetting boring system which offers nothing exciting and remotely interesting to the genre.  In fact it isn't uncommon to hear stories of people watching TV while playing, eating a sandwhich with one hand or other neferious things while "playing" the game.  Call me old fashioned but I am not a masochist when it comes to playing video games and if I am so bored that I require other avenues of entertainment while playing then that system becomes obsolete (this same EXACT system with no deviation whatsoever is the basis for ArcheAge).

ESO offers none of that, ESO is an open world free form exploration centric non hub questing system identical to Skyrim in its questing experience and although like many games today and the last 8 years solo leveling might be the norm (fairly certain AA is concentrating on single player soloing to the cap as well) it does offer incentives to groups with shared resources and experience plus the ability to aquire better loot & experience through playing well instead of brute forcing your way with tab targetting combat.  Play better and get better, true skill.  ESO also has an open world dungeon system which promotes group exploration much like the games of yesteryear.  ESO offers alot but in the form of a themepark whcih is the best form of gameplay because its the most fun and rewarding as opposed to the bland grind nature of the sandbox.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    TESO has open dungeons, and equality of gear from pvp, pve and crafting. It also has persistent pvp and no minigame pvp.

All 3 of those features are decidedly not wow clone.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Because to me your "wow clone" experience is best summed up by having an end game where you sit in city queueing to do some sort of instanced content.
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Without a doubt ESO.  ArcheAge is just to much of a clone for my tastes.

LOL! You seriously believe that statement? ROFL!

Yup seeing as combat is easily 90% of a games main focus and AA uses a very archaic bland WoW style tab targetting combat system AA is more clone then ESO ever will be.

Wait because AA uses tab targetting combat its more of a Wow clone then TESO? Which we already know is intanced focused, trinity, classes, and has no housing? 

Mind Boggling.

Yes, 90% of a MMO existence is based on combat and it is the exact same combat system as WoW so in essence it is more clone then ESO ever will be.

BTW ESO is not instanced focused, its the first MMO in years to feature open world dungeons.  It alos offers the best open ended class based system I have ever seen in an MMO.  Pick a class that suits your style but still have the freedom and ability to customize its use of Weapon and Armor and the ability to level up your skills.  No 2 magic users fireballs will be identical in ESO.  ESO has an amazing amount of customization not only in the equipment but in the skills themselves. 

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If ArcheAge can pull off all the promises, that'll be the game for me. I'm sceptical though.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vannor
    If ArcheAge can pull off all the promises, that'll be the game for me. I'm sceptical though.

'Can'? It's been released already, right?

No need to be sceptical... just scoot over and look.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

AA as it looks to offer plenty of elements which interest me.

TESO on the other hand doesn't excite me at all, with all the hype driven by the brand name alone.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Vannor

Yea don't get me wrong I intend to try AA but I am not hyped one bit for it because primarily it is an Asian Game first and formost it feels and looks very Aion like to me but I am intrigued by some systems it uses and am willing to shell out a few bucks to test them when the game releases, which should be this year.

• kueykuey Member UncommonPosts: 39
    AA for sure so I can dance naked in front of people whilst throwing them in jail. Would love to spend all day hunting down people who just got out and sending em back in. 
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I can't vote for both, but I will be playing both as they offer 2 completely different game elements.

ArcheAge will give me my sandbox, houses, farming, abundant class system and so on.

TESO will give me my controlled PvP environment with 3 warring factions which is what I loved about DAoC.

Yeah, but if they're both sub based games, I wont be paying 30 a month to play video games.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Even if Archeage has cool features I still prefere TESO as I dislike anything made in the western market gamewise. Art direction, sound effects, gameplay all lacking for my taste.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• The art style of ArcheAge isn't western enough for me to find it appealing, and honestly I doubt it can deliver well. So for now at least it's TESO for me. I just hope they can capture all the good stuff from DAoC and Elder Scrolls to make a great MMO. Time will tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEuoEJkODE

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

AA will be the closest of UO* and L2 that we will have, from a big budget project, in the near future. TESO, in the other hand, seens to be a WoW** clone (tbh i dont know much the game, but that is my starting impression).

So, if you do prefer UO, you will more likely to like AA. If you prefer WoW, TESO for sure will be more to your taste.

*Freedom, open world, sandbox tools,dinamic and changeable enviroment, player housing, meaningful pvp, politics, etc

**On rails, instanced, hand holding, single-player oriented, lobby game, minigame pvp, etc

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Yeah, AA's features list blows TESO away.

But, the thought of going back to that old school, bland combat model makes my spine twist like a pretzel.

AA sounds like it could be an amazing game with all the options and variety, but my mind keeps drifting back to that boring, old combat system that is so outdated and gratefully forgotten in newer games.

As far as world settings:

AA) The pics I've seen of, the world is stunning, and I love the Asian influence and architecture, etc.  Beautiful game, but it's an entirely new franchise, so, I don't know much about its lore and workings.

TESO) I haven't seen much of it, but I am going to assume when it is close to release that this game will have amazing Elder Scrolls quality graphics, also.  I fully expect a gorgeous, more medieval fantasy world style.  Since this is a well-established franchise, and I'm familiar with the setting and the ES lore and history, I'd have to say that TESO gets the upper hand in settings.  Also, I think TESO will have that darker, gritty feel to it compared to AA.

Summary: Overall, the TESO world appeals to me more(especially with the AA combat), but AA's features keep them pretty close.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

Neither, I'm waiting for World of Darkness (last time I heard CCP almost abandoned the project though).

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    AA for the reasons above + it just sounds a lot like it will harbor an SWG-like community with all the sandbox goodness it has.  ESO?  I have been reading about it a -little- and I played the last 3 single player ES games which were cool but they were single player games and got boring after a bit so the brand doesnt mean much to me.  The promises made about ESO so far do not excite me; sounds like more of the same for the most part.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Forgot the option for someone not going to waste money on either game. Don't see the NA dumbed down version of AA being worth playing and ESO is just ruining the be RPG franchise ever made and it show with Skyrim.
  • SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79

^

are they westernizing AA? I was worried about that but i never see anyone comment when i bring it up as a question.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I've seen vids of AA and I really don't see what has people so excited...IT looks like it brings nothing new to the table....TESO I really don't know much about...I enjoyed almsopt all of the single player games, but I have no idea how the MMO will be.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

I miss one option to choose. The undecided.

Do we have enough infos to choose wisely ? Honestly ? I'm not sure. I like both atm. No favorite yet. I simply cant say. And CGI or youtube vids are not enough to judge. Even if, we have more material from AA than from TESO. Let's wait a bit more i would say.

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Forgot the option for someone not going to waste money on either game. Don't see the NA dumbed down version of AA being worth playing and ESO is just ruining the be RPG franchise ever made and it show with Skyrim.

I doubt Jake Song would do any major change in AA to western audiences, since the Lineage 2 (his last work) didn't had any changes and the AA most appealing features are so integrated that is almost impossible to change any part without ruin the entire product.

Originally posted by Theocritus
    I've seen vids of AA and I really don't see what has people so excited...IT looks like it brings nothing new to the table....

The most "different" aspects of AA are the gameplay, rulesets and sandbox features, not the combat system or graphics.