Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge or The Elder Scrolls Online

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

He is correct and you are not.  Both Morrowind and Oblivion had classes.  You could, during character creation, go with one of their preset classes or like many of us, you could opt to create your own set of skills and spells.

I suggest you go re-install one of them, chose a class and see what it actually IS.

You can chose to be an "acrobat" and all that happens is that your Agility and Endurace attributes become your "main" and thus you will level Its related skills FASTER. You can still use MAGIC or any other skill in the game not related to "Acrobatic" skills...or dont you remember getting +5 points to place in any "skills" when you chose "custom class"? You still had to pick 5 things, but it did not limit you to only a "classes" skills. So the word "class" is only there as an identifier, not as a "limiter" like in games with ACTUAL classes.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

The housing system alone in Black Desert warrants interest. The quality, depth, and level of detail in the game are going to be whats going to hold it back though. Many are going to be overwhelmed and others simply won't be able to run it well if at all. 

Not sure on that last part yet as they said they made their own in house engine so it may not be hard on systems at all...or it could very well burden even hardcore rigs if they dont know what they are doing.

Wasn't solely based on the housing system. It was mainly based on the quality and level of detail in the models and textures as well as the quality and detail in the particle effects. When you have light reflecting off of metal objects in game on top of all that with some very detailed shadows the system requirements are going to be pretty steep. A lot can be turned down but... I can't see it making it very low end system friendly. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNFSw107MQs

Watch that video at 1080p and tell me you don't see some high system requirements being warranted lol. 

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

He is correct and you are not.  Both Morrowind and Oblivion had classes.  You could, during character creation, go with one of their preset classes or like many of us, you could opt to create your own set of skills and spells.

I suggest you go re-install one of them, chose a class and see what it actually IS.

You can chose to be an "acrobat" and all that happens is that your Agility and Endurace attributes become your "main" and thus you will level Its related skills FASTER. You can still use MAGIC or any other skill in the game not related to "Acrobatic" skills...or dont you remember getting +5 points to place in any "skills" when you chose "custom class"? You still had to pick 5 things, but it did not limit you to only a "classes" skills. So the word "class" is only there as an identifier, not as a "limiter" like in games with ACTUAL classes.

I suggest you go to both the Morrowind and Oblivion wiki sites [mod edit]

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    AA is a hybrid sandbox. It is attempting to offer the best of both worlds as it were. TESO seems interesting and it could do well depending on how they monetize (F2P/SUB?) the game, but if you compare the agendas of both games developers (making money) then look at TESO devs as a group motivated by selling you something you have played in the past with the elder scrolls brand attached to it.

TESO will offer you some systems based on Dark Age of Camelot and Ultima online, as well as features solely based on the standard MMO themepark template I.E EQ/WOW.

WOW generation see's nothing wrong with it and that is demographics TESO will shoot for. It will keep promisng skyrim like features and may even have some, but it's agenda is to grab the modern day MMO gamer who plays more PVP then loves or cares for sandbox features like housing or creating your own content.

AA is a hybrid that will attempt to allow player to create their own content and a to a small degree allow for those same MMOers who love themeparks to enjoy that part of the game as well.

I personally see AA having more options then TESO.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

I suggest you go to both the Morrowind and Oblivion wiki sites and shut your trap.

as he said the classes are a identifier and not a limiting thing, u could perfectly chose the acrobat set and then raise magic and be a mage or even a warrior. In Teso u will choose a class and stick with the skills that come with, no matter what.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

I'm suprised TESO got so many votes, most of the members on these forums seem to be disgruntled vets who only want sandbox MMO's.

I voted TES, I'm a vet but still quite happy to ride the hype train. Hopefully TES will be my last stop for a few years but who knows.

I don't think it's a WoW clone however and it seems to me they are doing what they can to make it a TES game.

+ I'm done playing Korean / Asian games. When a AAA western sandbox MMORPG is announced I'll be interested.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

I'm suprised TESO got so many votes, most of the members on these forums seem to be disgruntled vets who only want sandbox MMO's.

Why do those that voted for ArcheAge seem like "disgruntled vets" who only want Sandbox games.

Did you ever concider we are MMO players who actually care where the genre is going and are tired of the same old same old that has plagued the indusrty for years?

Seems like at least 40% are closeminded sheep who just dont care about any game non-themeparky

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    There was too much enthusiasm in the question for me to vote either way.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Sadly I feel AA is trying to do too much, they are so much a hybrid that they wont offer enough to one side or the other, and will lose both types of players. 

Those that enjoy or want a sandbox game will be highly dissapointed, since the entire start of the game is 100% linear thempark. Once you get past all the themepark, into the sandbox, you are bombarded with full loot PVP. The sandbox therefore wont be available to 90% of the playerbase. Themeparkers will quit as soon as they reach endgame, and it turns into Aion. The entire focus of the late game is PvP. PvPers mostly wont bother to get that far, because they have to do all the PVE content and leveling and questing to get there. And those interested in building will leave because they will get ganked on the way to turn in those items to the proper NPCs and wont ever be able to get thier house constructed. Gankers will get bored because they wont be able to gank anyone, as most PvP players hate a fair fight, and you cant go back to lower zones and kill noobs and players 10 levels below you. Once they see they cant kill people of the same level (because they arent good at PvP, they only like to PvP when they are assured victory), they will leave game. Sadly the game will be a desolate wasteland, since it doesnt cater to any particular playstyle, and desperately tries to offer something to everyone, that just doesnt work.

TESO, may or may not be a decent game. I really hope it is, but im also doubtful. Many TES players have already pointed out the things that just dont work in an MMO and thus are missing from it. There also seems to be some misinformation in this thread, namely regarding classes. 

Classes were present in older version, but as it has been pointed out, they were merely there as names, or guidelines to get new players a place to start or a roadmap for leveling skills. Although this doesnt translate directly into ESO MMO, it is worth mentioning here that classes arent nearly as limiting as those in the last few pages have made them out to be. Anyone who has followed the game closely and seen the interviews can tell you that, just like all TES games, classes are only the beginning or a guideline, not a limiting factor. ALL CLASSES will be able to use magic, all weapons, and all armors. We really dont know much more than that. So Im not here to claim that it will be like other TES games, but you also cant come here and say it wont. For all we know at this point, classes only give you the skills you start the game with (as a guideline and starting point) and you will be later able to unlock every skill from other classes and redevelop your class into anything you want. I would wait to see what new info is given, maybe even beta gameplay after NDA before making assumptions, but we all know thats just not how things on the internet work. At the least, i beg everyone to look into more and watch an interview or two before spreading more misinformation. At that point you are just trolling, and anyone who has done the research just reads your posts and laughs at how ignorant and naive you sound.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    AA if I had to choose, but I'm going to say both because ESO won't be out til at least next year if they're smart.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I suggest you go to both the Morrowind and Oblivion wiki sites and shut your trap.

"Your character's class determines what skills you will be most proficient in, and this in turn affects how you level."

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Classes

A class in no way limits what skills you can use. As a thief you can use destruction magic, wear heavy armor and even swap out to a two handed sword. Classes are nothing more than identifiers.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Without a doubt ESO.  ArcheAge is just to much of a clone for my tastes.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    When games can get away from the 3 fraction thing, it might become better. I think both games will be interesting and both will have solid/weak points. I am looking forward to them both nonetheless.
    Originally posted by Razperil
    When games can get away from the 3 fraction thing, it might become better. I think both games will be interesting and both will have solid/weak points. I am looking forward to them both nonetheless.

You mena the whole of 2 modern games?  DAoC and GW2 (arguably shouldn't be included) as opposed to the 2 faction thing or open faction thing.......that same setup thats been beaten to death for the last 14 years.

Nope I'd take soemthing revolutionary and that has only been a few times as opposed to something if I wanted to do the same of I'd go back to the myriad of MMO's that liter my harddrive at the moment.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Hands down AA for multiple reasons, none which I care to type out..........

That game is  what many of us have been waiting for a long time. The 'other'  games in dev can't hold a candle to this game. And can you imagine the ones being made without any type of budget, read The Repopulation?

No chance in hell............

All Will Be Well.....

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by azzamasin

LOL! You seriously believe that statement? ROFL!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

We have so little information on TESO while AA is basically a completed game at this point.

But either way Archeage is a relatively fresh air to the older generation MMO fans.

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79

AA is a better idea, but the sandbox attempts ive seen tend to overdo it with a sort of feature bloat wanting to let players do all this stuff right away and everything ends up being shoddy and gimmicky and tedious.

I am fond of TES lore however (though teso butchers it)

Both will probably dissapoint me, ill be more sad when AA dissapoints me.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

AA *if* it delivers an alternate rules server (as touched on by Song) that suits me. I am not interested in the standard 'vanilla' set up that I am seeing so far.

TESO.... for some reason I cannot get 1% excited by it... It had a nice CG trailer though.

For me though the MMORPGs I am waiting for really are FFXIV: ARR and EQN. No rush though, I am enjoying EQ2 a lot right now.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Yeah, it's a clear Vanguard clone.

There, I said it :P

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

TESO but depends on how big is the world, if there are zones linked by portals or an open world like Vanguard ,how important is crafting compared to dungeons drops , if they force people into raids for endgame or not and the most important how fun is the faction vs faction pvp.I hope they managed to do something like planetside or at least warhammer for pvp but I need to try it, gw 2 pvp sounded great until I played it .
    ArcheAge , I would have tried if they had PVE only servers or faction vs faction, not interested in FFA or guild vs guild pvp.Too bad developers seem to think the only way to make a sandbox is to force people into these types of PVP.
    Anyway I hope that both of them launch with lot of features and polished, with so many mmos out there players will not give many chances to a newly launched game.

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by eldaris

TESO but depends on how big is the world, if there are zones linked by portals or an open world like Vanguard ,how important is crafting compared to dungeons drops , if they force people into raids for endgame or not and the most important how fun is the faction vs faction pvp.I hope they managed to do something like planetside or at least warhammer for pvp but I need to try it, gw 2 pvp sounded great until I played it .
    ArcheAge , I would have tried if they had PVE only servers or faction vs faction, not interested in FFA or guild vs guild pvp.Too bad developers seem to think the only way to make a sandbox is to force people into these types of PVP.
    Anyway I hope that both of them launch with lot of features and polished, with so many mmos out there players will not give many chances to a newly launched game.

I can already tell you what TESO will be like. It will be a wow clone with rvr tacked on like WAR was, only i actually think they will get rvr done a little better than WAR did.

Should you be confused as to what a wow clone is: a wow clone is an EQ clone with instanced dungeons and soloquestgrinding to the level cap.

Depending on how bad they mess up TES lore, and how good the rvr ends up being, it may be a decent game. Im not getting my hopes up though.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I'm actually not "excited" for either, but will try them both and play what's worth playing to me. Neverwinter is the only one I am excited for.
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Yup seeing as combat is easily 90% of a games main focus and AA uses a very archaic bland WoW style tab targetting combat system AA is more clone then ESO ever will be.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

ESO for me.

AA is going to have a difficult time living up to expectations.

I'm wary of Korean MMO's.