Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge or The Elder Scrolls Online

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Which am I more excited about?  Archeage.

While not a 100% fit for what I'm looking for in an MMORPG, it's closer than TESO.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Pyrate
    Daoc is entirely open world, there's absolutely no instances in the entire game.
    Jtcgs
    Last time I played skyrim I couldn't build a ship and be a pirate. A Chinese ship.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I will be playing both.. Both games have elements that I enjoy.
    Similarities between daoc and tes series
    Player housing
    Even more open world (towns and stuff don't have load screens)
    Crafting is very important
    Darkish fantasy setting
    Can kill anyone (on ffa server)
    Real archery with trajectories
    Has quests but not hub style questing
    Dungeons you just wander into, rather than make group and teleport there (daoc dungeons are not instanced)

Just getting annoyed with noobs that never played thinking daoc is like bloody wow or something.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Am I the only one a bit sad that an Asian Sandbox-ish game is generating more interest than TESO and mainly because AA is more of a sandbox?

Perhaps you are, because im sure most of those that are sad are more sad over TES NOT being a sandbox like it should be than being sad that an Asian game that is, has a larger following here.

EXACTLY!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    ArcheAge, because I've already been playing TESO for the past 9 years.

Joined - July 2004

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Similarities between daoc and tes series
    Player housing
    Even more open world (towns and stuff don't have load screens)
    Crafting is very important
    Darkish fantasy setting
    Can kill anyone (on ffa server)
    Real archery with trajectories
    Has quests but not hub style questing
    Dungeons you just wander into, rather than make group and teleport there (daoc dungeons are not instanced)

Just getting annoyed with noobs that never played thinking daoc is like bloody wow or something.

It gets old, that's for sure. I so wish people would stop comparing Daoc to today's mmo's.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Thing is tes series isn't a sandbox.

Skyrim apart it has classes
    It has levels
    It has gated content
    skyrim with hearthfire apart you can't build your own house
    It has a ton of quests, many of which need to be done in a linear order (e.g to get to next stage in a guild story line)
    It has a "you are the hero" setup

Tes is a hybrid / open workday themepark with sandbox elements

It has more in common with games like ac, daoc and EQ than it does games like eve & uo.

Sure its not like wow style themeparks either though.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Jtcgs
    Last time I played skyrim I couldn't build a ship and be a pirate. A Chinese ship.

Thats funny because I just so happen to have a Skyrim mod that has a Pirate ship and adds pirate clothing...but I do thank you for looking for "pirate ships" as a way to say TESO is closer to TES than AA...seeing as how there is no information about pirates or ships being in TESO yet.

Doh!

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Pyrate
    Daoc is entirely open world, there's absolutely no instances in the entire game.

Can any 1 of the 3 sides enter the other factions lands and adventure? NO. They are closed and zoned off.

Not an OPEN world.

I am not going to even try to explain if further. You will never get it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Thing is tes series isn't a sandbox.

Skyrim apart it has classes
    It has levels
    It has gated content
    skyrim with hearthfire apart you can't build your own house
    It has a ton of quests, many of which need to be done in a linear order (e.g to get to next stage in a guild story line)
    It has a "you are the hero" setup

Tes is a hybrid / open workday themepark with sandbox elements

It has more in common with games like ac, daoc and EQ than it does games like eve & uo.

Sure its not like wow style themeparks either though.

1. Skyrim does not have classes, it has skills you can level and you can do them all.

2. Levels raised by using SKILLS, you dont get XP for quests, or kills.

3. TES games do NOT have gated content. Its 100% open outside the main story.

4. Housing has nothing to do with sandbox, there are themepark games with housing.

5. A game can be a sandbox and still have a storyline as long as doing that story is not level based. which it isnt.

6. Not sandbox based.

Thank you, please try again with at least one example that fits what you are saying.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Pyrate
    Yes they can on a coop or ffa server
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

My vote goes to ArchAge. While the combat is garbage the rest is simply what i want from an MMO. Conflict driven gameplay about ressources and TON's of possibilities to shape the world.

http://www.archeage.com/en#index

Jtc
    Why I said except skyrim.

Oblivion and Morrowind have classes.

You do level through kills, what happens to your archery skill when you shoot a bandit.

Tes games DO have gated content. example you can't progress the main story in skyrim until you have the required shouts. You can't enter the mages guild until your magicacis high enough to cast fear.
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Cant wait for both for me! More so Arc....

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    AA. I'm not looking for a coop Skyrim.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    I'll be playing all four mmos; ArcheAge, TESO, TERA, and as always Mabinogi.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i think both games will be fun and can't wait for either.. but think it is funny a heavily eastern influenced sandboxy MMO is easily winning the pole against one of the biggest RPG franchises out there.. and people say this site isn't sandbox jaded:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I will probably try both. Unless I see evidence that TESO is some sort of fantasy swtor. But hey haven't played it or seen enough yet, my guess probably be open world themepark with sandbox crafting. But off its instanced to hell and back like swtor to fit in personal story I will avoid it.

I'm also liking the stuff I hear about aow. Don't know when wod is out but that's one I'm definetly playing because of ccp.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Pyrate
    Yes they can on a coop or ffa server

1- Only 2 servers out of how many?

2- 2 exceptions that didnt get implemented until 3-4 years after release

3- You are using the exceptions to try and make your point?

4- TESO will not have those exceptions in place

Can we just drop this now? You seem headstrong in disagreeing no matter what.

This also is Off Topic and has nothing to do with the point of the OP

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DireLionDireLion Member Posts: 9
    My Vote gos to Both, why?    Only thing they have in common is fantasy. Based on all the mmos ive played in the last 13 years its all a wait and see play them both or be left behind game. I plan to play ESO because Im a fan boy, AA because Im a sandbox fan. One draw....Does my computer run it worth playing it?  Do I have the patience to flounder through the first few months of bugs? And lastly will Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivruski IV have more fun with my computer then me.image

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve regardless of how many times you may have failed in the past or how lofty your aims and hopes may be.”
    -Napoleon Hill-

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

The Elder Scrolls Online

Richer lore and a stronger community, the armour sets and no classes with a huge combination of spells and playstyles and the beautiful world and landscapes of elder scrolls.

That is pretty much what makes me want to play. Hopefully the crafting and PvP and PvE content is great!

Lol Pyrate its off topic now you've been shown to be wrong.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by DireLion
    My Vote gos to Both, why?    Only thing they have in common is fantasy. Based on all the mmos ive played in the last 13 years its all a wait and see play them both or be left behind game. I plan to play ESO because Im a fan boy, AA because Im a sandbox fan. One draw....Does my computer run it worth playing it?  Do I have the patience to flounder through the first few months of bugs? And lastly will Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivruski IV have more fun with my computer then me.image

I doubt AA will be that buggy at launch, it's spent a long long time in beta with no NDA.