Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Business model question + poll

coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

1) How does setting of business model work in practice.

Will it be Trion as a publisher for the western release who will decide on the business model?

Is it XL Games as a developer who decides on the business model?

Or is it based on a mutual agreement?

To what extent do the parties involved influence setting of the business model?

If it is Trion, what can we expect regarding business model?

In Asia, it is box + sub + cash shop (correct me if I am wrong).

What are Trion's cash shops like? What is the cash shop currently used in Asia like...does it imply P2W or does it give some kind of advantage to players who spend money there over others?

I personally prefer subscription based business model, so I hope they will go the same way as in Asia.

I would not mind if there was a cash shop unless it provides players with advantage over others.

2) POLL: What business model would YOU prefer for AA's western release (from gamer's perspective)

To make it easier, lets assume that the cash shop does not make the game P2W and is just cosmetic.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

Comments

• DKLondDKLond AlbertslundPosts: 579Member Uncommon

If a game is worth playing, then I'll glady pay the sub. I understand that developers/publishers want to maximise profit - and I can't change that, and I can't know what's the most profitable payment model.

I do know that cash shops tend to corrupt design choices, even if it happens very slowly - and sometimes it's so subtle that most players don't notice it or just don't mind.

I prefer a pure and straightforward payment model, and I think for a game like ArcheAge - a traditional subscription model is ideal. It means continued development for as long as it remains popular - and I can't imagine this game not being at least modestly successful.

If it ends up failing or not turning a profit, then I would be more lenient regarding alternate payment options - but to add a cash shop based on nothing but opportunism irks me - and tends to taint the whole thing.

There's something awfully artificial about a cash shop in my game - and it breaks my immersion.

ArcheAge is very much a "virtual world" type of game - and therefore it's vital to preserve immersion as much as you can.

Well, that's my opinion.

• KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

I would rather see a box cost + cashshop, done Aion "Truly F2P" style (just with a box cost).  Or I suppose this would be more like GW2 style as well.

I'd prefer no free download, other than a free restricted trial.  There needs to be some sort of cost associated with the game in order to help deter gold farmers, bots, spammers, and the like.  At least a deleted account cost them something, if and when banned.

As for a subscription, I think the game would be more approachable without one.  ArcheAge will be sandboxy and a haven for roleplayers, so I imagine the cashshop is going to do fine on it's own, selling luxory vanity stuff.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Minneapolis, MNPosts: 532Member
    Personally I prefer a Box + Sub, with an optional cosmetic ONLY cash shop.
  • Entris38Entris38 Somewhere, OHPosts: 321Member Uncommon
    I hope they would keep it box price plus sub. Everything should be available in game, no need for a cash shop. Maybe box price plus sub can help keep out the vagrants.......Hey, I can dream!
  • CepheidenCepheiden GaytownPosts: 5Member

It is sad that these days this is even a question.

Would be nice if everyone was educated enough to realize that cash shops are a scam.

• LanfeaLanfea EssenPosts: 219Member Uncommon
    trion worlds seams to like the box + sub + cosmetic cashshop payment model. even defiance will go this way and this for a game with a huge cross-marketing advantage with the tv serie on syfy, which would be a fruitful ground to go with a freemium payment model. and lets be honest, archeage doesn't deserve a f2p payment model, the whole game has too many features to fit well and balanced in any known f2p model.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 chicargo, FLPosts: 372Member Uncommon

id like it free  with no charges

that dosent mean i  dont understand  they need to make money it  just means  thats what i would like to pay for it

the maximum i will pay is  box plus cash shop the moment a sub comes in i dont buy the game

as most people quit the game in the first 3 months   why even have a sub   if you just sell the box have a cash shop   as long as your game is good people will buy it   and  spend money in your cash  shop

plus you will sell more boxes at releases because of the b2p that  the extra sales will give a greater income than the  subs

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 984Member Uncommon
    I've never been averse to paying a subscription, and I've paid for some pretty crappy games.  So if AA is worth the cost of the box and the sub, then I'll happily play it.  Now that Trion's signed on, I'm quite happy in the pants about it, so bring on the box and sub, yo.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 chicargo, FLPosts: 372Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Cepheiden

Would be nice if everyone was educated enough to realize that cash shops are a scam.

cash shops are a scam  but not as big a scam as a subscription

• KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member
    Originally posted by Cepheiden

Well sub+cash can be viewed as a scam (SWTOR being the worst culprit, WoW being less obvious but still in this category, many others also), since if your paying a subscription you should already be included in the loop for all potential cashshop items, included as part of the sub.  No disagreement there with that part.

With B2P, I think it's fair game for a company to host a cashshop, provided the items do NOT allow the skipping of content or P2W type enhancements (PVE or PVP).  Just vanity would be ideal, such that sold items do not belittle the efforts of non-cashshop players.  Also cashshop items should not be trade-able or sellable to exploit / corrupt currency markets.

ArcheAge would be ideal for a cashshop, with housing / castle decorations and a demand for artsy-type costumes.  Not to be replaced by crafted goods, just some extra stuff.  Also without a subscription, a well-done cashshop would keep the game chugging along.  But if there is a cashshop, there should not be a subscription (and vise versa).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DaxamarDaxamar Green Cove Springs, FLPosts: 554Member

Id like box-cash shop with a sub.

I have paid for many a crappy game also. Still gaming is my hobby. If you dont have the cash or are unwilling to pay...get a new hobby.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Business model is immaterial, and does not factor into my game choice.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,653Member Uncommon

Guild Wars 2's business model is the way to go if you ask me. Worked for me in GW1 and it works now in GW2.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    Box price + subscription please. I don't mind the shop as long as it's stuff like WoW's shop.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

Honestly I hope they go with box price + cash shop and no subscription options. Whether you enjoy the game or not, look at how successful GW2 has been and maintained it's success and continued growing rapidly to this day...They have to continuously upgrade their servers to let more people in because most of them become "Full" really quickly. I hope the same for ArcheAge, I don't think subscription models, even "F2P" ones are as viable as B2P+Cash Shop is. These companies make bank off cash shops alone.

People are more likely to play a game if they can pay a 1 time fee, and then choose to purchase in-game merchandise if they want to, and not have to worry about if they're missing features because of this gated model, or that gated model. This is something I do feel very strongly about when it comes to MMO's. The subscription model in all it's iterations is dying a very rapid death.

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,117Member Uncommon
    The thing I like most about subscription models is that the developer is intent on making content fun in order to retain subs, rather than making it tedious in order to encourage cash shop sales.

• ereyethirnereyethirn KaiapoiPosts: 79Member
    I'd like it to be like tsw to be honest. Btp but you pay for additional in patches etc. if you want it. Plus a subscription which gets you all the additional patches free plus points to put into the vanity items only cash shop.
  • Baramos79Baramos79 Indianapolis, INPosts: 73Member
    Box price + Subs and if there is going to be a Cash Shop, make it fluff only that doesn't affect gameplay AT ALL.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Hamilton, ONPosts: 2,167Member
    Originally posted by Valentina

Honestly I hope they go with box price + cash shop and no subscription options. Whether you enjoy the game or not, look at how successful GW2 has been and maintained it's success and continued growing rapidly to this day...They have to continuously upgrade their servers to let more people in because most of them become "Full" really quickly.

Eh, I think your statement is a little off.

Anyways, I want to see box price + sub, no cash shop whatsoever. Need to go back to the days where MMOs offered everything in-game, actually in-game.

• thinktank001thinktank001 oasisPosts: 2,027Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Valentina

Honestly I hope they go with box price + cash shop and no subscription options. Whether you enjoy the game or not, look at how successful GW2 has been and maintained it's success and continued growing rapidly to this day...They have to continuously upgrade their servers to let more people in because most of them become "Full" really quickly.

Eh, I think your statement is a little off.

Little?   The in game population has continuously dropped since release. 

I'd prefer to see $15.00 sub, free expansions, and something similar to the PLEX system in EVE, or they could be the first to release a true B2P game (no cash shop) with paid expansions. 

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Business model is immaterial, and does not factor into my game choice.

Immaterial means that basically any kind of business model would not affect your game choice.

Isnt there really anything related to business model that may influence you not to buy a game?

I personally do not consider business model to be on the same level of importance as the game principles, mechanisms, etc, but I would not go as far as saying that it is immaterial. I can imagine that a really bad cash shop would have the potential to drive me away from a game.

Different people, different materiality I guess.

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Box price + subscription please. I don't mind the shop as long as it's stuff like WoW's shop.

Exactly my thoughts.

• EdelbertEdelbert Bad BramstedtPosts: 67Member
    Box price + sub, because everything else would end in a still birth. It doesn't matter if it's only for cosmetic items, once there is a cash shop I won't waste my time with this game. God knows it will at some point change for the worse. (or worst, depends on how you see it) It'll be heartbreaking for me, but so it is. That's only how I see it, nobody is gonna change my opinion so don't waste your time, I know many people think otherwise and I respect it.
  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    as long as there's no cash shop I don't care.

• YalexyYalexy BerlinPosts: 1,053Member Uncommon

A MMORPG with emphasis on PvP should allways be subscription-based and not have a cashshop other then a pure cosmetical one.