Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Besides Bugs,Balance, and Housing, how could GW2 be improved?

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Not getting people fired for starters.

You can also see the NCSoft financial reports.

And GW1 took 5 months to reach 1 million sales. GW2 did 3 millions in the same period.

Yes because GW was virtualy unknown back then and was a surprise hit. GW2 on other hand had  a huge hype build up over the years and a very large  fan base thanks to success of GW. NCSOFT should thank the stars and ANET that they decided to go B2P or we would be discussing about how many subs are left instead of bragging about 3 million box sales.

When you decide to run marathon and have exquisite results, no "yeah but what about 100m sprint results" are relevant.

Mike O Brian wants to beat WOW and become number one..sorry bro but marathon is long over for GW2. That pipse dream will always be a ..pipe dream.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Not getting people fired for starters.

You can also see the NCSoft financial reports.

And GW1 took 5 months to reach 1 million sales. GW2 did 3 millions in the same period.

Yes because GW was virtualy unknown back then and was a surprise hit. GW2 on other hand had  a huge hype build up over the years and a very large  fan base thanks to success of GW. NCSOFT should thank the stars and ANET that they decided to go B2P or we would be discussing about how many subs are left instead of bragging about 3 million box sales.

When you decide to run marathon and have exquisite results, no "yeah but what about 100m sprint results" are relevant.

Mike O Brian wants to beat WOW and become number one..sorry bro but marathon is long over for GW2. That pipse dream will always be a ..pipe dream.

How many MOP sold and how many GW2 sold?

First week sales of MOP 2.7 million (i don't know what is total now) and GW2 3 million so far.  And remember MOP is an expansion. By the way Mike O Brain goal is to beat WOW (not one of its little expansion) . His target is to is to beat WOW's total numbers.

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them.

One has to be really really drinking way too much GW2 cool aid to take what Mike Said seriously. if it was any other company said same thing people would be ripping it apart...oh wait they already did!! ;)

By the way that was a quick reply. I post after 2 days on GW2 forum and you reply with in minutes. Do you live here or something?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

First week sales of MOP 2.7 million (i don't know what is total now) and GW2 3 million so far.  And remember MOP is an expansion. By the way Mike O Brain goal is to beat WOW (not one of its little expansion) . His target is to is to beat WOW's total numbers.

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them.

One has to be really really drinking way too much GW2 cool aid to take what Mike Said seriously. if it was any other company said same thing people would be ripping it apart...oh wait they already did!! ;)

By the way that was a quick reply. I post after 2 days on GW2 forum and you reply with in minutes. Do you live here or something?

MOP is the current WoW.

First week GW2 was 2 millions.

2 millions vs 2.7 million is in the same league.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

off-topic: if only WoW was b2p I would never choose GW2. Game popularity to me is not resume on copy sold, but on active player base and more on sub.
    Example: I bought Aion and never really played it; I never bought Forsaken World and played for like 1,5 years.

on topic: if more nerf will come, nothing could save GW2.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

off-topic: if only WoW was b2p I would never choose GW2. Game popularity to me is not resume on copy sold, but on active player base and more on sub.
    Example: I bought Aion and never really played it; I never bought Forsaken World and played for like 1,5 years.

I though you weren't playing GW2 since it was an average game with bad support.

Apparently it is the best game besides WoW.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

oooooh, GW2 sold more than WoW. Shame.

Currently i skim the forums, so yah, you will be refuted immediately during next few hours :)

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

Nuber of subs =/= number of active players, especially in WoWs case.

+ WoW isnt  even sub based in Asia (from where, coincidentally, majority of these "subs" come from) but that doesnt stop them bragging about "subs".

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly off-topic: if only WoW was b2p I would never choose GW2. Game popularity to me is not resume on copy sold, but on active player base and more on sub. Example: I bought Aion and never really played it; I never bought Forsaken World and played for like 1,5 years.   on topic: if more nerf will come, nothing could save GW2.  
    I though you weren't playing GW2 since it was an average game with bad support.

Apparently it is the best game besides WoW.

I keep going there as I have nothing much to play now + payed for box = no sub for WoW. I would never play again if it were sub game.
    Best beside WoW? meh I can give you list of games of same category, I play them too, also don't like that much.
    Only seems I would not even log to GW2 soon, as are less and less to do there.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• ownprocessownprocess Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Just more skills, a la GW1, don't see why they can't do this tbh.  The only thing I get a bit bored about is lack of variety in the skill system, the rest of the game I love.
  • Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91
    more interesting races maybe? it all feels a bit generic and bland to me atm.
  • Originally posted by elitero

ANd this how one member reached spotlight poster..

On topic nothing to discuss here. You guys are just going to get your jimmies rustled.

Not just that, he's written entire blogs for this website. Not saying he's a bad guy, but definitely saying I am ashamed of his way of looking at games because when I see a website with the address www.mmorpg.com I would expect a more neutral website on all levels and a less depressive and negative atmosphere, less fanboi bullshit, less trolling etc. There's no competitive website with a positive approach as well.

Well maybe the mmorpg genre needs more non-violent content because when I see it's all about violence I am actually not that surprised.

Meh. Really nice games list though it's what I come here for...:D

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    If the dev's could open the game options and move the difficulty slider from faceroll easy to hard it would help.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Powermike
    Originally posted by elitero

ANd this how one member reached spotlight poster..

On topic nothing to discuss here. You guys are just going to get your jimmies rustled.

Not just that, he's written entire blogs for this website. Not saying he's a bad guy, but definitely saying I am ashamed of his way of looking at games because when I see a website with the address www.mmorpg.com I would expect a more neutral website on all levels and a less depressive and negative atmosphere, less fanboi bullshit, less trolling etc. There's no competitive website with a positive approach as well.

Well maybe the mmorpg genre needs more non-violent content because when I see it's all about violence I am actually not that surprised.

Meh. Really nice games list though it's what I come here for.

It's got nothing to do w/ violence Mike. It's all about entitlement. Most gamers now-a-days expect every game to be catered specifically to them, and then scream bloody murder when this isn't true (which is pretty much always). Most people have forgotten, or never knew, how to appreciate games for what they are, and to think about them in the perspective of how the game was actually designed, vs. the perspective of 'what do i want'. This mentallity gets reinforced on this site, because there is fairly unreliable moderation, and little that can be done about trolling (provided the trolls are actually careful about how they word their posts). If you call out anyone for trolling, according to this site, you are therefor a troll yourself, and immediately get warned / banned.

Back On-Topic, though (assuming this is a legitimate, constructive thread):

How could GW2 be improved?

UI:

- Add more preview options (to the AH, and fix the bug where you can't preview other armor).

- Add more search filters to both the AH and crafting tabs

- Add a squad UI / open group options

- Add a collectibles tab to the bank for weapon skins (obtaining rare skins should unlock those for subsequent use)

- Add an option to save builds (both skills and traits). I know many people would be fine with even having to pay gems for this option. Implement it in such a way, where you could also hot-swap builds in towns, and specific outposts for a small fee (~5s maybe?)

PvE:

- Tie more exclusive content to various parts of the world: (scavenger hunts for legendaries, skillpoint challenges for specific skills / elites, Dynamic Events with NPCs that give hints to more exclusive mystic forge recipes)

- Bring back Hardcore mode for dungeons. Let people enjoy the easier difficulties, but give an option for those more skilled players who want to earn potentially larger rewards.

- Player house / expand upon the personal instances. I know housing is big to a lot of people (even though I personally don't care about it), as such it would be a really nice feature to have. Furthermore, Personal Instances have been soo lackluster I know most people have completely forgotten they are even a part of the game. Whatever happened to that!?

- Fix the bigger boss battles, by adding more phasing / interesting mechanics. So far (imho) Jormag is one of the only really decently designed boss fights in this game. The other 3 dragons are ALL very lackluster. Anet needs to step it up in this department.

Guilds:

- Add customizable back options (capes please! Even if you have to modify them for the clunky char; maybe they could get pelts instead)

- Customizable Guild halls

- GvG

sPvP:

- Add some new game modes. I hate to say it, Anet, but you've almost completely screwed any opportunity you guys had to turn this game into an esport. You can keep the point based system, but bring back some of the game modes you had in the first game. Random teams, AB, Heroe's Ascent.. I know Anet's started doing this w/ some of the newer maps, but I think they could do more here.

WvW:

One of the biggest problems in WvW atm is zerging. I don't necessarily mind zergs, but atm there are just too many mechanics working in favor of roaming with a large zerg.

- Prevent fully defeated players from being revived -OR- implement a timer before they can start being ressed (perhaps, as long as anyone in their group within a half-map radius is still in combat, they can't be revived?) This would help with the zerging problem. Currently, if you face a large enough force (even if you are dominating them), it is impossible for your team to be victorious, because after a certain threshhold, an enemy zerg can res players faster than you can keep killing them.

- Make keeps/towers so you have to put supply into rebuilding a keep you just took. This would add another layer of strategy to WvW.

- Change the outmanned buff to something a bit more practical. Perhaps make WvW work so that the more players you have on your map, the more expensive it is to build / upgrade objectives. Even adding a system in which keeps would periodically lose supply unless you kept stocking it would be beneficial towards this.

- BUFF SIEGE AGAINST PLAYERS. If nothing else, this needs to happen. I know in one of Anet's latest PR videos they've stated that siege currently hits ~50 players. From what I've seen / tested that is complete BS currently. Siege vs. infantry is almost a complete joke atm. Siege equipment needs to be feared again. This would also help balance zerging vs. playing strategically.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

1.) Progression: Some way to feel like you accomplish something rather then do the same thing over and over again. This here is probably one of the areas which loses a lot of players as the aspect of leveling feels so unrewarding. Having content 'scale' your level back isn't bad (given it does it right) but it only helps to enforce the simplicity of the system and the fact your using the same skills over and over all through your game with no changes or adjustments that 'feel' different (outside very few talents and weapon swaps, which talents aren't often very changing in how you play). The lack of progression is one of the biggest factors that made the game so boring to play for more then an hour to get me past...

2.) Combat System: Clunky and Very Simple. A very weird combo. This isn't likely an area to be improved unfortunately despite this I feel being one of the biggest flaws of the game. It feels like they struggled between tab target and more 'action/skill' based combat so they mixed the two together which causes a bit of a clunky mess. This can often be atrributed to rather silly animation looks (Not at fault of those who animate, its due to how skills are handled being able to interupt into any ability you want).

In most cases, your going to be pressing 1 or 2 buttons TOPS with maybe a few occasional abilities mixed in. It becomes a reptative task that really doesn't feel very engaging at all. Despite pushing 'action' it has me feeling far simpler then a regular tab target MMO like World of Warcraft or Rift which  often times have 'rotations' or 'priorities' which can be more complex and have some 'reactive' traits to it making you feel far more at edge. This ends up being lowered on GW2 as the 1 skill is an auto attack making it plausible to afk in events pretty easy. Combat is the biggest disapointment in the game and without much else to offer, it has made it that much easier to dismiss the game so quickly.

3.) Story: Its a rollcoaster alright, not of good story telling mind you that keeps you hooked, but going from good/interesting ideas to just sheer cringe worthy scenes and actions. This is another area likely not to be improved though hopefully newer content has actually good story mixed in to alleviate this. If you play a 2nd character through your going to realize your choice only changes so much of what happens and in the end you just cringe that much more for the lack luster portions. Play one faction through and you can spoil yourself through what will happen at the end of the other two. 

4.) WvW: Incomplete. Really all I got to say about it. It feels like they wanted to put seige warfare but it never came to pass so it makes it just a very derpy zerg vs zerg door rushing/ram placing fest. I think what bothers me most is not what it is now, its how much they seemed to push towards it being far more epic but couldn't deliver, and it ends up cutting down the matches into a far more simplistic form. This only becomes worst as it ends up quickly turning 1 sided in a lot of the WvW matches.

5.) PvP focus.. MORE PVP: I don't mind GW2 focused on PvP, I don't, but it seriously lacks in the pvp department for trying to push PvP as a big factor in the game. Having PvP restricted to certain areas I can actually live with, its not bad, its the fact that it offers so little content despite trying to tote itself as being a pvp focused game. A game like Rift which (sadly) has fallen short of PvP and its decline to 1 PvP shard (US) yet has MORE to offer in pvp then GW2 by a good deal just leaves a poor taste in my mouth. It just needs to offer more towards the PvP scene, and no, not CHARGING PEOPLE MONEY for tornaments and the likes, that doesn't do anything.

6:) Lack Luster Environemnts:  ...For the art style they chose. Zones feel so lack luster and its hard to tell one jungle from another. They just blend to much.  This is more of an opinion but I really feel they should of capitalized on the more 'cartoony' (lack of a better term) graphics on characters to give the world more persoanlity. That is one factor that helped to make World of Warcraft stand out as zones felt different each having a certain color pallete you associate with them as you advanced. Shy away from keeping them 'realsitic', the art style deserves to be explored and if you do so it will make the environments much more appealing.

7.) Fanbois: Seriously stop, your making me hate the game more unfairly and its so hard to defend a game when you got so much ignorance going around it drives me up a wall. Look at wow fanbois you likely bashed. Your like that but worst. Stop it, your going to find things will work out far better for the game and if your objective, your going to find it far easier for the developers to make content getting input beyond "PEFeCT Bst Gam 3VeR!". Sorry, had to add this.

Most likely Combat won't be changed (huge one) and Story can only really be 'added' to rather then changed. None the less, all the other areas can be improved easily. Its highly unlikely I'll ever pick up the game again due to the fact my biggest flaws reside far to deep within the code to be changed, but it doesn't mean I don't want it to improve. From how ANet has changed their tone from the more "We know better then you" tone they used when the game first released to now, with their push to 'fix' things of sorts, I have a feeling if you hold out and really push for improvements that they will work on getitng them in place.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by aesperus

It's got nothing to do w/ violence Mike. It's all about entitlement. Most gamers now-a-days expect every game to be catered specifically to them, and then scream bloody murder when this isn't true (which is pretty much always). Most people have forgotten, or never knew, how to appreciate games for what they are, and to think about them in the perspective of how the game was actually designed, vs. the perspective of 'what do i want'. This mentallity gets reinforced on this site, because there is fairly unreliable moderation, and little that can be done about trolling (provided the trolls are actually careful about how they word their posts). If you call out anyone for trolling, according to this site, you are therefor a troll yourself, and immediately get warned / banned.

*snip*

this 1000x...  obviously everyone has differn't values in what makes a good or bad video game but just generally feels so many(not just on this site it happens all over on every forum) feel if the game doesn't cater to their every wish its garbage, a failure, ect ect.. oh and i agree with most your change recommendations would be welcomed changes:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

oooooh, GW2 sold more than WoW. Shame.

Currently i skim the forums, so yah, you will be refuted immediately during next few hours :)

This is exactly why i posted what Mike O brian said because i knew you would bring up comparison with MOP sales. Those were first week numbers by the way that too for an expansion of 8 year old game. I don't know what is to be ashamed of here? GW2 beats first week sales os an 8 yeard old MMO by small margin? bravo?

Mike O Brians statement is about beating over all numbers of WOW and only in his dreams he can beat numbers generated by WOW and its expansions. Let me know if after 8 years GW2 is still selling 2 million in a week. But i don't have to wait that long to see the obvious. By the way there is nothing to refute except for asnine statements by Mike O Brian to get cheap publicity.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    More armor, even town clothes.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Well, I recently went back to GW2 and started up a new elementalist. Playing as Dagger/Dagger, and I am enjoying my time there. The biggest difference I've noticed is people calling out events and linking the closest waypoint, so you can level very fast just event hopping. Which is neat, but also feels a bit cheap at times too, since you're effectively just repeating the same content over and over in a particular area.

I would say the biggest and most immediate thing they could improve is the skill system. The idea is very neat, but it's lacking in many respects. I would either open up more weapons for more classes, or add new entire lines of skills that you can equip, but can't switch to on the fly. You could even add the engineer kit system to more classes to make them more interesting.

The elementalist would be a good example for a class that could use a kit like system. Since they can't weapon switch on the fly, but rather change attunements. However, they do have 5 conjurable weapons that are pretty short duration. Instead of them being short duration, it could be something that you turn on and have skills for until you switch out. That would open up even more build choices.

I really do like the combat system in GW2...they just need to keep fleshing it out.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Pocahinha

-Remove all the millions of  travel portals in every zone and implement few Flight paths and mounts.

-Implement world pvp servers

-Implement at least 2 factions to fight agains eachother

-Implement more bars with more skills and spells to use not just 5 and another 5 

-Implement specialization in classes, dont allow every class to do dps, heal and tank at the same time( holy trinity is the way to do a proper mmorpg)

-Make gear have stats that people wanna have to improve and become stronger just like any real mmorpg and just like irl, the one with better gear normally wins, its just the way it is in life.

-Remove active dodge, i want to have passive defence stats, i wanna have fun playing a game relaxed...its an mmorpg afterall.

-remove all the portals everywere

-Make the game hard enough so people can die sometimes when they are leveling and have more then 2 mobs hitting them.

So what you want is a WoW clone not GW2. You haen't played the game, I can tell. You do get more the 2 mobs hitting you at one time, think woles who call others, etc.

If you want antoher game like that play WoW, GW2 will not change it's basic design to do this.

Your post is just utter nonsense.

GW2 beats first week sales os an 8 yeard old MMO by small margin? bravo?

Considering its first MMO to do it - yes, its an achievement.

WoW didnt get 10m people in a week....or month....or until it released in Asia (where it isnt even sub based)

You may be jaded about it, but it is how things stand. And cheapening what they acomplished makes it....even more jaded.

WoW didnt get 10m people in a week....or month....or until it released in Asia (where it isnt even sub based)

You may be jaded about it, but it is how things stand. And cheapening what they acomplished makes it....even more jaded.

It is not about being jaded but being consistent about the ridicule companies have to face when they talk about beating WOW. Sorry but only because it is GW2, Mike O Brian won't get a free pass on this when every other company has been ripped apart in past for making  statements like this . No other companies have been so direct and obnoxious in its claims about beating WOW.

By they way even SWTOR sold more copies than MOP expac so nope GW2 is not the only one. Its good thing that he stopped at just that and didn't get more cocky and gave a epcific timeline for beating WOW.. lol.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

It is not about being jaded but being consistent about the ridicule companies have to face when they talk about beating WOW. Sorry but only because it is GW2, Mike O Brian won't get a free pass on this when every other company has been ripped apart in past for making  statements like this . No other companies have been so direct and obnoxious in its claims about beating WOW.

By they way even SWTOR sold more copies than MOP expac so nope GW2 is not the only one. Its good thing that he stopped at just that and didn't get more cocky and gave a epcific timeline for beating WOW.. lol.

How is a goal to be #1 obnoxious? They never said they're going to destroy WoW or anything like that, just that their goal is to become #1

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I know I will be tarred and feathered, but I would like to see a dungeon finder. I enjoy them in games because I can queue up and keep questing while I wait instead of wasting time at the entrance watching everyone jump around.

I would also like to see:

1. More store armor skin options

2. Housing with EQ2 style decorating features

3. Better crafting system. It is worthless right now. Make crafted items better than loot, and also introduce gear decay

4. Don't attach PvP requirements to the monthly achievements. Some of us don't do PvP

I am really enjoying the game now, but these features would keep me playing for a long time if they were implemented.

Really, do you even read what you write? Can you link those oh so "direct and obnoxious claims"?

SWTORs last figure was 2,5m. Though we know how that ended.

And yes, you are jaded. Just another post to prove it lol

Really, do you even read what you write? Can you link those oh so "direct and obnoxious claims"?

SWTORs last figure was 2,5m. Though we know how that ended.

And yes, you are jaded. Just another post to prove it lol

Bioware and Trion makes indirect claims to beat WOW and they are ripped apart by people especially GW2 fans for being cocky and obnoxious. But when Mike O Brian makes a direct statement about beating WOW somehow it is acceptable and defined as a 'goal'. I am used to double standards on these forums nothing new. The whole statement by Mike O Brian that i posted earlier is obnoxious. 

Only because you keep using the word 'jaded( doesn't mean it applies in this particular discussion. Every dick and harry wants to beat WOW and have been using this cheap publicity stunts for past 8 years now.  And we know how it has turned out so far.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney