Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Besides Bugs,Balance, and Housing, how could GW2 be improved?

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

It would improve by stopping to be GW2. IE: Open world PvP, introduce trinity and add actual group content.

So in short, it can't improve while it remains to be GW2, and if it improve, it'll turn into a diferent game.

Wow, great input, make it more like every other trinity game out there. If it doesn't follow the WoW path then it can't be any good, only Wow clones are good. I guess that's why they sold over 3M copies, because the game can't improve without giving up what they had in mind and make it into just another WoW-clone.

Seriously, get real!

What they're working on for the february update is the way to go. ArenaNet knows better what's good for GW2 than we do.

Alber is the type of player targetted by blizzard....  'I love ammonia' says the smoker dying of cancer.

Skills as per GW1 model and more refinement of the pvp and pve side and the game will last the same length of time as GW1.  In otherwords Anet will develop GW2 just as they did with GW1 - we can see that now.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

It would improve by stopping to be GW2. IE: Open world PvP, introduce trinity and add actual group content.

So in short, it can't improve while it remains to be GW2, and if it improve, it'll turn into a diferent game.

Wow, great input, make it more like every other trinity game out there. If it doesn't follow the WoW path then it can't be any good, only Wow clones are good. I guess that's why they sold over 3M copies, because the game can't improve without giving up what they had in mind and make it into just another WoW-clone.

Seriously, get real!

Even SWTOR sold lots of boxes. GW2's saving grace is that it has no monthly fee. So you buy it and play it like a console game and your certainly get your money's worth. However, i have played COD and Battlefield games longer that GW2.

if GW2 had monthly subs it would be a different story so i see nothing to brag about 3 million boxes sold of a buy to play game.

However as far as imprving GW2 i don't know if it is an improvement or but if they ever decide to bring GW skill system back to GW2 i know a lot of people personaly who will be very happy. There is a reason why most of our guild went back to GW and still playign it after so many years.

Now imagine how many boxes GW2 would sell if it was called SWTOR and how few boxes SWTOR would sell if it was called GW2.

GW sold 6.5 million boxes last time i checked so not as if GW2 didn't have its fanbase. And if we are just talking about IP popularity considering SW fans tanscend beyond the boundaries of MMOS and video games, they should have shattered world records but they didn't.

IP alone won't be enough to expand a game - it will help the initial sales (just like warhammer, lord of the rings and conan helped) but then the game need to do its part.

And clearly SWTOR wasn't good enough to break the fact MMORPGs is mostly a niche in the west market (outside WoW).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by saurus123
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly PvE: - add more skins - reduce cost of travels - its already cheap - add more portals - no theres anough waypoints - remove WvW from PvE exploration, it can be area/mini game apart - add dungeon group finder / auto tele there - then every dung runner would be just sitting in town - add more resurrection points inside dungeons (run is fun but not that much) - thats why you have your team mates, if you all wipe well you must sudder :) - make dungeons less challenging or use NM / HM as it was at GW1 - no leave them as they are maybe more harder - make some HM challenges - if possible add cinematic (not that important, just was cool to look at GW1) - add trade or "mail with pay" option - no you get hacked and guy have easier work - stop charge coins twice for TP (they charge you first when you put item and second when it sold so far) 15% tax most have no problem with it, die resellers :) - make magic find extra stat, not primary as now or remove it from game - make bank tab larger from the start, add more space to buy too - add new bags and revamp 18 and 20 slot bags (it ridiculous difference for 2 slots now, make it 20 and 25 instate, will be more understandable, add 30 slot too) - I don't find bank share nice: in any other game I have bank space per alt and can mail between them - make auto-join for DE (not if you pass by but when you start to participate, or, at least, ask to join tool) - again no one would leave towns then - I would love to have more healing at least for dungeons, why not put healer NPC there PvP: - make factions - i see no point maybe in later expansions but not now - make guild wars (lol any idea hwy this game actually calls GW2?=P) -if you read some lore you woul know why its called that :) - add something fun may be random arenas again

I took screenshot about my sell at TP: items were listed for like over 6g, I got 4,7g. It was my drops and I payed to put them to TP. Just make you win less gold, I don't see where I resell, so it still not fair to me.

If you have dungeon finder you don't need sit at LA and spam chat non-stop.

For DE you'll be added ONLY when you are close to event, no way you can sit at town.

Drop rate, gold win etc getting nerfed so we need to farm non-stop for cover the costs. By the way, why we don't have option *repair what we wear" instate of repair all items you wear/hold? Try to use Item Shop instant repair to see the difference.

For lore: at GW1 all was logical and we had guild wars; here I don't see lore to show me any guild wars, sorry to tell.

Beside I keep have bad feeling when I fight human ghosts for count of charrs, I guess it psychological, but I keep remember Gwen and her broken flute... so sad.

I don't want next WoW clone, we have enough of these, all I wanted is next GW.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    for me i would create an entire new skillset just for PVP.. then i would take the current weapon skillset and use the current utility system and add that to weapons allowing you to mix and match differn't weapon skills as well. Then i would put in a system to aquire tokens to buy new skills by doing various events and encounters throughout the world.. I would also add in guild halls and completely flesh out the guild system adding in guild skills and equipment and guild activities.

this kind of thing is despirately needed for engineers.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

PvE:

- add dungeon group finder / auto tele there - then every dung runner would be just sitting in town

I don't agree with this. It really depends on how it is implemented. What the game needs is a LFG tool which automatically assembles the party, similar to how WoW does it, but the party is not automatically teleported to the dungeon. They still have to walk to the entrance like people have to now. This will actually make people LEAVE capital cities. Why? Because currently if you want to look for a dungeon you have to stay in town so that you can spam the chat to find people. It's not like you are out adventuring when spamming the chat. But if you had a LFG tool you can queue up and go and quest in the world and then travel to the dungeon.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly PvE: - add more skins - reduce cost of travels - its already cheap - add more portals - no theres anough waypoints - remove WvW from PvE exploration, it can be area/mini game apart - add dungeon group finder / auto tele there - then every dung runner would be just sitting in town - add more resurrection points inside dungeons (run is fun but not that much) - thats why you have your team mates, if you all wipe well you must sudder :) - make dungeons less challenging or use NM / HM as it was at GW1 - no leave them as they are maybe more harder - make some HM challenges - if possible add cinematic (not that important, just was cool to look at GW1) - add trade or "mail with pay" option - no you get hacked and guy have easier work - stop charge coins twice for TP (they charge you first when you put item and second when it sold so far) 15% tax most have no problem with it, die resellers :) - make magic find extra stat, not primary as now or remove it from game - make bank tab larger from the start, add more space to buy too - add new bags and revamp 18 and 20 slot bags (it ridiculous difference for 2 slots now, make it 20 and 25 instate, will be more understandable, add 30 slot too) - I don't find bank share nice: in any other game I have bank space per alt and can mail between them - make auto-join for DE (not if you pass by but when you start to participate, or, at least, ask to join tool) - again no one would leave towns then - I would love to have more healing at least for dungeons, why not put healer NPC there PvP: - make factions - i see no point maybe in later expansions but not now - make guild wars (lol any idea hwy this game actually calls GW2?=P) -if you read some lore you woul know why its called that :) - add something fun may be random arenas again

I took screenshot about my sell at TP: items were listed for like over 6g, I got 4,7g. It was my drops and I payed to put them to TP. Just make you win less gold, I don't see where I resell, so it still not fair to me.

If you have dungeon finder you don't need sit at LA and spam chat non-stop.

For DE you'll be added ONLY when you are close to event, no way you can sit at town.

Drop rate, gold win etc getting nerfed so we need to farm non-stop for cover the costs. By the way, why we don't have option *repair what we wear" instate of repair all items you wear/hold? Try to use Item Shop instant repair to see the difference.

For lore: at GW1 all was logical and we had guild wars; here I don't see lore to show me any guild wars, sorry to tell.

Beside I keep have bad feeling when I fight human ghosts for count of charrs, I guess it psychological, but I keep remember Gwen and her broken flute... so sad.

I don't want next WoW clone, we have enough of these, all I wanted is next GW.

That is a gold sink that is needed to curb inflation, and yes, it can suck when it becomes harder to get more money, but it works for new players. It's a fine balance that they need to keep, not enough sinks that you end up broke all the time, but enough that gold doesn't become so abundant as you keep playing that you just don't think about it. If you want to see the effects of inflation on an economy, just go into WoW in any of the stablished servers that has been there from the beggining, and try to buy anything on the auction house as a new player. Prices are just too inflated because they're adapted to a world where everyone has a rich main char to get money from.

It also reflects the real world that way, try to sell something using a service equivalent to the TP (Ebay, for example), and they will take a percentage of your money. You can avoid paying that (as you would in real life) by selling it yourself, but then you're just paying gold for convenience, you can choose to either advertise the item you want to sell yourself (in chat,for example) and deal with the price with whoever wants to buy, and risk getting scammed out of your item/money, or just pay the TP for the convenience of doing it safely and easily.

About the lore of the guild wars, Trehearne talks about it in one of the story missions, the one where the Pale Tree sends you on a vision to Orr with him (and I remember it because I just happened to do that mission last night on my mesmer). You can read about it here anyway: http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars. Of course, I bet the game was named Guild Wars with the intention of having guild Vs guild battles as the core experience, and that bit of lore was added to justify the rest of the game, but it does exist on the lore.. :)

And for the ghosts, well, they see you as a Charr according to the novel Ghosts of Ascalon. According to the novel, part of the effect of the foefire was that killed all Charr around, and cursed all humans to be bound to the area and defend it forever, even after their death, so from their point of view, they're still living the moment right before the Charr were going to attack, and see any living being they encounter as an attacking Charr. (SPOILER ALERT: there's actually one ghost in old Ascalon in the novel that knows what happened and that so much time has passed because he died right before the foefire so wasn't affected by it).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Two things would make a huge difference to me:

1) Dump the DR and make the droprate such that there's actually a point to collecting loot.

2) Redo the classes to make them... Interesting. In GW1 the classes were fun and very different from one another -- Dervish and Necromancer could hardly be further apart in game play -- and there were many unique and interesting skills. In GW2 the classes feel depressingly similar and the skills are, by and large, generic and boring. There's no running around with a minion army, no turning into a demi-god for a few seconds, no... No "I love using this skill, it's so fun!" factor. In trying (and, like everyone else, failing) to achieve balance, they've sucked most of what makes a class system interesting right out of the game.

The first might happen, though I doubt it, Anet's design incentives being what they are. The second is probably beyond the scope of even an expac and, sadly, almost certainly won't.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by fivoroth

PvE:

- add dungeon group finder / auto tele there - then every dung runner would be just sitting in town

I don't agree with this. It really depends on how it is implemented. What the game needs is a LFG tool which automatically assembles the party, similar to how WoW does it, but the party is not automatically teleported to the dungeon. They still have to walk to the entrance like people have to now. This will actually make people LEAVE capital cities. Why? Because currently if you want to look for a dungeon you have to stay in town so that you can spam the chat to find people. It's not like you are out adventuring when spamming the chat. But if you had a LFG tool you can queue up and go and quest in the world and then travel to the dungeon.

I agree, but I'd make it more like the LFG WoW had around early TBC, no automatic assembling of party. The way it worked was that it had two windows, a "Looking for group" or "Group looking for more", you could set yourself as LFG for specific dungeons (or group quests or raids) and had a comment section where you could write anything (tank, healer, DPS, I'm experienced in the dungeon, first time doing it, things like that), and if you were a group looking for more you could set yourself as LFM and also type comments (looking for DPS, looking for tank, doing speed run, and so on), and that was it.

The big thing, IMHO, was that there was no automatic group forming, you had to actually talk to people. If you wanted to join a group for a dungeon you could look on the LFG tool for all the groups forming and send a tell to the group leader to ask for an invite, or to other people looking for group to form your own, likewise, if you already had a group you could just look at all the people that were looking for groups and ask them if they wanted to join. I even remember sometimes in WoW where I'd be on LFG for a dungeon and received a whisper saying something like "hey, we're going to this other dungeon and only need one more, want to join us and we go to that dungeon later?" and things like that. Plus it wasn't polite to invite without asking first, because you could be queued for more than one dungeon so it was nice to mention for which dungeon you were inviting for.

People say that LFG tools turn the MMOs into lobby games where everyone is in town queueing for dungeons... personally I feel it's the other way around. For example, TSW... if you wanted to PUG an end-game dungeon you had no choice but to sit in Agartha (the central hub) and spam LFG or LFM. If you leave agartha, you can't see the groups forming and can't get into them. Same thing I see happening in GW2 with the fractals, if you want to do them, you have to be in Lion's Arch, no other way around it.  A good LFG tool would allow me to still look for groups for fractals or dungeons, while still being out adventuring with other players in the rest of the world, but of course I'd prefer it to be the way I described before, so that people actually talk to each other.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Myria

no turning into a demi-god for a few seconds.

Yes there are if you bothered playing long enough to get those elite skills.

Maby you were talking about turning into one permantly or did I completely missunderstood you?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Seriously, get real!

Even SWTOR sold lots of boxes. GW2's saving grace is that it has no monthly fee. So you buy it and play it like a console game and your certainly get your money's worth. However, i have played COD and Battlefield games longer that GW2.

if GW2 had monthly subs it would be a different story so i see nothing to brag about 3 million boxes sold of a buy to play game.

However as far as imprving GW2 i don't know if it is an improvement or but if they ever decide to bring GW skill system back to GW2 i know a lot of people personaly who will be very happy. There is a reason why most of our guild went back to GW and still playign it after so many years.

Now imagine how many boxes GW2 would sell if it was called SWTOR and how few boxes SWTOR would sell if it was called GW2.

GW sold 6.5 million boxes last time i checked so not as if GW2 didn't have its fanbase. And if we are just talking about IP popularity considering SW fans tanscend beyond the boundaries of MMOS and video games, they should have shattered world records but they didn't.

IP alone won't be enough to expand a game - it will help the initial sales (just like warhammer, lord of the rings and conan helped) but then the game need to do its part.

And clearly SWTOR wasn't good enough to break the fact MMORPGs is mostly a niche in the west market (outside WoW).

And after the initlal 3 million sales how do you tell for a B2P game if it is doing its part? when it comes to P2P game atleast you can gouge the performance by how many subscribers the game was able to retain after initial box sales.

But like i mentioned earlier, given the size of fan base of GW2 and 6.5 million sales of GW, 3 million is nothing to brag about.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Having a meaningful gameworld, and meaningful interactions between players, instead of the soulless, sanitized world, which is broken into several sub-themeparks.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    for me i would create an entire new skillset just for PVP.. then i would take the current weapon skillset and use the current utility system and add that to weapons allowing you to mix and match differn't weapon skills as well. Then i would put in a system to aquire tokens to buy new skills by doing various events and encounters throughout the world.. I would also add in guild halls and completely flesh out the guild system adding in guild skills and equipment and guild activities.

this kind of thing is despirately needed for engineers.

yea they compensate engineers with the toolkits obviously but problem is if you dislike any toolkit like for instance I hate the grenades as I really dislike having 5 gtaoe skills it really makes the class feel more limited... also don't care for elixir builds so it really sort of kills the class for me.. had same issue with nexro.. luckily there's a couple classes i enjoy all the weapon sets

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Having a meaningful gameworld, and meaningful interactions between players, instead of the soulless, sanitized world, which is broken into several sub-themeparks.

by meaningful interactions between players, are you referring to OWPvP (a.k.a ganking, greifing, and that sort of thing)?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Seriously, get real!

And after the initlal 3 million sales how do you tell for a B2P game if it is doing its part? when it comes to P2P game atleast you can gouge the performance by how many subscribers the game was able to retain after initial box sales.

But like i mentioned earlier, given the size of fan base of GW2 and 6.5 million sales of GW, 3 million is nothing to brag about.

Not getting people fired for starters.

You can also see the NCSoft financial reports.

And GW1 took 5 months to reach 1 million sales. GW2 did 3 millions in the same period.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

It's interesting how you accidently used gouge in the same sentence as P2P. Freudian slip perhaps?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Actually, the best improvement from me is the bloody Trading Post.

I thought the original SWTOR AH was pretty average. Compared to the TP, the SWTOR AH is a modern wonder.

What the heck ANet? My lord is it a steaming pile of STUFF!!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

And GW1 took 5 months to reach 1 million sales. GW2 did 3 millions in the same period.

Yes because GW was virtualy unknown back then and was a surprise hit. GW2 on other hand had  a huge hype build up over the years and a very large  fan base thanks to success of GW. NCSOFT should thank the stars and ANET that they decided to go B2P or we would be discussing about how many subs are left instead of bragging about 3 million box sales.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Yes because GW was virtualy unknown back then and was a surprise hit. GW2 on other hand had  a huge hype build up over the years and a very large  fan base thanks to success of GW. NCSOFT should thank the stars and ANET that they decided to go B2P or we would be discussing about how many subs are left instead of bragging about 3 million box sales.

GW2 was built as B2P title, their costs and revenues were projected as a B2P title.

Sure WoW made tremendous amounts of money during their life.

But how many other P2P games didn't meet their projections in the last few years and closed or had readjustments in their studios (read layoffs)?

A sub isn't needed to make expansions and an expansion cost significantly less to make.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

When you decide to run marathon and have exquisite results, no "yeah but what about 100m sprint results" are relevant.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    @op
    It would be nice to see them books upon wvw. More tools for organization and communication.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

Drop the forced gameplay, add rewards for stuff players do as in adventure, and rvr. Add random unike items. Remove the stealth part or there isant attack system(Daoc), and lower the insant 2h damge and lower the 2h users defence rate, and add a meaning for using shield. And drop the asisan event stuff as Xmes ect.

Its not all but its a start :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Letting me play that bird race would improve the game for me. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    • more skills
    • Untie the rigid weapon skill system and make it identical to the utility system so we can mix and match
    • player housing and a fleshed out "home Instance"
    • more loot drops and more gold drops, remove magic find
    • guild systems instead of a system where only the guild leaders/officers get to take advantage of the influence allow each member to spend earned influence
    • more dungeons
    • make the dragon bosses harder and require more cooperations and team work
    • increase the drop rate on rare items, having to accumalate 250 lodestones that have a .01% drop rate is insane
    • remove the bot farming code.  having to move after 30 mins of farming is insane especially considering theres very few places to farm as is.
    • new weapon armor skins
    • new system to spend your skill points

Theres alot that can be done to increase the replayability of GW2.  Its an outstanding game but as a PvE'er Ive exhausted most of the content and am on standby mode now.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

WvW

-needs a complete overhall in  concept and design. It needs:

-huge maps

-extensive anti zerg design changes

-elimination of the point system

-elimination of que's

Crafting

-needs to be more than resource gathering and pushing a button

-needs to have predictable sources for all the crafting components.Having to grind for hours for random drops of certain materials is awful.

(yes,I've stopped playing the game for the WvW reasons cited above)

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

More immersive content. Give the NPCs more to say about Tyria.  Give me a reason to (re)visit the zones/towns in the past.   Add collectibles/scavenger hunts.   Add sandpark like elements.   Allow mounts (or at least boats).  Allow travel by water.

I want something that keeps me wanting to run around the world regardless of zone.