Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that made you exceed average results on an IQ test to participate?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by steamtank

no

IQ tests are famously bias.

Take some coursework in education and you will find out just how messed up those types of tests are.

Bias towards smarter people? Isn't that the whole point?

And why do you think smart people are more fun to play with? They may be able to find new smarter ways to grief you.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

I'd much rather see a 'Sense of Humor' test required......

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Sadly, intelligence is not directly related to maturity. I think a better option would be having a strict moderation system and banning any less then saviory speech or actions in game. This might clean up the community, but most likely not.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    It's ironic, this thread is stupid.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

In a PvE game yes (game will be challenging).

In a PvP game no (need lowies to keep my kill-death-ratio on the good side).

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

First of all, anyone with a brain wouldn't be playing video games in the first place... so no one would show up for the test except for those doomed to fail it.

I like it!

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Perhaps finding like-minded people in a game *is* the IQ test?
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Nice poll to determine the number of elitists on this website.  I can't think of anything more stupid than making people take a test to play a game.  Many people in the real world would consider gaming in general as an indication of lower intelligence or at the very least, a waste of intelligence.

What saddens me is that some people can't handle social issues in a gaming environment, then how the heck do they funcion in the real world which is so much worse?

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

Would I try it?  Yes.  Would the game be able to retain players or hold my attention?  More than likely not or not for long as most IQ games are little more than floating colorful balls and number patterns, (strangely reminiscent of special needs activities) and you can't forget puzzles for the sake of puzzles.  I would love to see this particular game's idea of a good time.  "Hey Hrothgar go place this glowing rock in between the blue and the red rock but only if the blue and the red rock are third in the series of alternating patterns, otherwise stack it on the first striped green rock!  You're saving the world lad!  You have 10 seconds!"  

Lastly would I support this game?  Absolutely not as IQ tests are far from being the be all end all element from which to judge others potential by.  Let alone intelligence.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    Sadly, intelligence is not directly related to maturity. I think a better option would be having a strict moderation system and banning any less then saviory speech or actions in game. This might clean up the community, but most likely not.

Why should the community be cleaned up?

There is already a moderation system .. it is called the "quit group" button. You don't have to play with anyone you don't want to.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    It's more about EQ then IQ. 
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

To be honest, I would not play it.  Nobody would - becuase they couldn't.

Logically, if a person could not play unless they exceeded the average result of the IQs - then no one could play.

The first person to test their IQ would be the average - he or she could not be above his own IQ, he'd be at it, and at the average, not above.  So he could not play.  Nor could anyone who tested afterwards, for the same reason.

Even if a person was in already, and people came to play after that person, only one person could play at most then.  For every person who tested, would either raise or lower the average, and then the people or person below the average, couldn't play.

So no, it is impossible.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Even 'dumb' humans are a lot smarter than you may think. If they need something, odds are they will find a way to get it; often a way that you hadn't considered.

I know several high IQ people who are abosluely clueless. Kind of like Rain Man; brilliant in some regards but retarded in others.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I would only play it if it was free forever, with no cash shop, and guaranteed never to go away.  Since that will never happen, and I've got to pay for this thing anyhow, no, I'm not taking their stupid test because I don't get anything out of doing it.

It's asinine.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I wood pwn joo all wit mah leet rouge skilz, Joo mad brah?

I voted no.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Yes.. except one already passively exisist. It is called World of Warcraft & if you are still playing it, you have a certain IQ..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    If you can make an account for final fantasy XI, you already qualify as an above average IQ player

Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Logically, if a person could not play unless they exceeded the average result of the IQs - then no one could play.

The first person to test their IQ would be the average - he or she could not be above his own IQ, he'd be at it, and at the average, not above.  So he could not play.  Nor could anyone who tested afterwards, for the same reason.

Even if a person was in already, and people came to play after that person, only one person could play at most then.  For every person who tested, would either raise or lower the average, and then the people or person below the average, couldn't play.

So no, it is impossible.

Nah, there is an average already calculated on those tests. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_reference_chart

You don't get the average from the test takers themselves although that could be a different way to test - sort of like highest  honors in schools. Those with the highest get in then.

With that alternative way - what happens when several "honors" are in, and then smarter folks join?  By that I mean, are the people on the lower end of the honors cast out? 

Originally posted by Tymoris
    If you can make an account for final fantasy XI, you already qualify as an above average IQ player

That is an awesome post!  ha, nice man

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

So no, it is impossible.

I guess you wouldn't get in with reasoning like that. The first person would be average, the next would be either higher than the last (the average) and get in, or less, reducing the average and so the first person would now be above average. If a load of cretins then tried to join then people with slightly lower than average IQs would get in, the more people that tried, the closer the average would get to 100 ish.

Originally posted by RefMinor

So no, it is impossible.

I guess you wouldn't get in with reasoning like that. The first person would be average, the next would be either higher than the last (the average) and get in, or less, reducing the average and so the first person would now be above average. If a load of cretins then tried to join then people with slightly lower than average IQs would get in, the more people that tried, the closer the average would get to 100 ish.

So let me tear apart your response then.

First problem - the first person is average.  The requirement is that he be above average to play, and he isn't.

Second problem - how would someone less than the first person get in, if they were below the average of the first person?  That defeats the entire purpose of the IQ above average immediately.

Third problem - How do more and more people with low IQs attempting to get in but not able to do so due to being below average get in in droves?

Tell me more about my poor reasoning as you explain all these massive failures in your rebuttal :)

Originally posted by greenreen

I wanted to see the most likely countries to be able to play the game. This looks nicely colored but I think the information they got was more based on research about country wealth comparitive to IQ.

http://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=2812

I'm unsure many companies would exclude countries for the reason "you people aren't smart enough".  The PR nightmare that followed could crush a company doing that.