Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Which payment model is ideal for ESO?

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by superniceguy Subsciption with Lifetime Subscription option. If it offereed LT sub I would take it.
    TSW LTers will vastly disagree.  LT subs are retarded as one can never know the future of a game.

Speak for yourself.

Ohhh really... then how bout the constant threads that displeased players made when their LT sub was pretty much null n void, same thing that happened in SWTOR and STO LTers.  MANY were upset and really only the gullible would take a LTer sub.  TSW is a very light pop MMO and many of thier LTers left and signed the game off.  Two cross guilds games I know of had their TWS charters moved to active games which means it's a very small activity or members.  Case n point why I say LT subs are retarded and only the gullible will purchase.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by superniceguy Subsciption with Lifetime Subscription option. If it offereed LT sub I would take it.
    TSW LTers will vastly disagree.  LT subs are retarded as one can never know the future of a game.

Speak for yourself.

I agree.  I'm actually considering purchasing that because I can see playing that game until the servers shut down.  Anyway, back to work.  I'll check back later lol.

Which one can do now for 30 bucks vs the... what 200 bucks for LT sub pluse the 50-60 buck retail price when it was being sold?  Clearly a rip off when you compare it now.  LT subs are gambles which have yet to see a game pay it off with the exception of maybe Rift.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by itgrowls Well I can see there's no shortage of "p2p zombie" idiots commenting on these forums, apparently 2012 hasn't taught them a single thing. Not only does P2P often crash as we've seen time and time again in 2012 but it certainly does NOT guarantee quality people as we've all seen from games like WoW. So My suggestion to those who are holding onto that dream in this continuing economic crisis is, dream on. "The elitism is strong with this one", is what came to mind when I saw the first few comments on this thread.  For all those who want another P2P marvel let me remind you of the last one we had, "May the force be with you". Yeah we saw how well that went didn't we, and please please don't insult our intelligence by suggesting it's not due to the payment model.
    So the thing everyone complained about swtor at launch was the payment model? Nope it was lack of end game, ilum slide show,  no ui customisation, no lfg, poor engine etc.

Hardly anyone complained about the payment model until people started realising the quality of the game wasnt worth the payment due to them releasing the game in alpha shape.

So no swtors faults had nothing to do with payment model and had more to do with releasing an unfinished game on an engine that couldnt handle what they wanted players to use it for.

If subs weredead then no one would be using that model let alone the most succesfull game in the genre

That's not entirely true.

There was a percentage of people that really wanted kotor 3. They even got bent out of shape because Bioware requested that they put down a credit card for future reoccurring payments. and when bioware refused a refund after 30 days then proceeded to charge back.

Now, The people that approached it as an mmorpg did for the most part take issues with what you described and the fact that the game did not meet the expectations of what was in their head.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    I think the Cancelation Model will be the most popular payment option

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by Torvaldr Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Ambros123 Originally posted by superniceguy Subsciption with Lifetime Subscription option. If it offereed LT sub I would take it.
      Speak for yourself.
    I agree.  I'm actually considering purchasing that because I can see playing that game until the servers shut down.  Anyway, back to work.  I'll check back later lol.
    Which one can do now for 30 bucks vs the... what 200 bucks for LT sub pluse the 50-60 buck retail price when it was being sold?  Clearly a rip off when you compare it now.  LT subs are gambles which have yet to see a game pay it off with the exception of maybe Rift.

I will always receive funcom points.
    I will always get any content i want, (Free after 14mnths)
    Hell i got 25k funcom points up front from buying the LT.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Speak for yourself.

I will always receive funcom points.
    I will always get any content i want, (Free after 14mnths)
    Hell i got 25k funcom points up front from buying the LT.

Going to be a shame when the company folds this year and you get nothing... well maybe they will send you a Xmas card in the mail every year after.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

Speak for yourself.
      I will always receive funcom points. I will always get any content i want, (Free after 14mnths) Hell i got 25k funcom points up front from buying the LT.  
     Going to be a shame when the company folds this year and you get nothing... well maybe they will send you a Xmas card in the mail every year after.

Can i patronize you back if the company doesn't fold in a years time?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.

I've played WOW for years and the community I experienced was awful, elitist wannabe and anything but mature...

Then, I got to GW2 and I'm just amazed how better the community in game is. One of the friendliest community in mmorpg world.

I'm not really sure why people get this idea that P2P will get you mature crowd... So far I've experienced exactly the opposite.

I think B2P with cash shop (not intrusive cash shop where it blocks you from progressing) doesn't give the players this feeling that they're getting coined where P2P model does and is outdated (atleast those sub prices which are present today) thus should be left where it belongs.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Originally posted by Betaguy

Speak for yourself.
      I will always receive funcom points. I will always get any content i want, (Free after 14mnths) Hell i got 25k funcom points up front from buying the LT.  

Can i patronize you back if the company doesn't fold in a years time?

Sure... I have no feelings

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Heh. Every time I hear about lifetime subscriptions, I think of this from The Big Bang Theory: http://youtu.be/2jAePQzdXGg?t=5s
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Korent
    That's because wow Is a phatlewt game, where as gw2 is the opposite.

The more important gear is, the more drama you get in game and the worse the community.

This goes way back before wow. Way more drama in EQ than less gear driven games like coh and daoc for instance.
  • MollowMollow Member Posts: 66

Pay 2 Play.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by korent1991

I've played WOW for years and the community I experienced was awful, elitist wannabe and anything but mature...

Then, I got to GW2 and I'm just amazed how better the community in game is. One of the friendliest community in mmorpg world.

I'm not really sure why people get this idea that P2P will get you mature crowd... So far I've experienced exactly the opposite.

I think B2P with cash shop (not intrusive cash shop where it blocks you from progressing) doesn't give the players this feeling that they're getting coined where P2P model does and is outdated (atleast those sub prices which are present today) thus should be left where it belongs.

Sorry man, you lost me in a fit of giggles at GW2 having a good community. This game is actually known for it's piss poor community. Great game in it's own way, but community is not one of those ways.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Sorry man, you lost me in a fit of giggles at GW2 having a good community. This game is actually known for it's piss poor community. Great game in it's own way, but community is not one of those ways.

Wow has the worst community in the mmo genre and it's p2p. The business model does not determine what the community will be like the game itself will shape that.

Originally posted by Istavaan

Wow has the worst community in the mmo genre and it's p2p. The business model does not determine what the community will be like the game itself will shape that.

I didn't say WoW was any better, why are we comparing a game that old that we know is the preferred game of kids? It's kind of a moot point. All I was saying was that saying GW2 has a good community is like saying SWTOR had a great launch and plenty of end game content at release.

I didn't say WoW was any better, why are we comparing a game that old that we know is the preferred game of kids? It's kind of a moot point. All I was saying was that saying GW2 has a good community is like saying SWTOR had a great launch and plenty of end game content at release.

Because people are identifying a good community with a certain business model. p2p creates a more mature community etc, which is not true.

Originally posted by Galadourn I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.
    I've played WOW for years and the community I experienced was awful, elitist wannabe and anything but mature... Then, I got to GW2 and I'm just amazed how better the community in game is. One of the friendliest community in mmorpg world. I'm not really sure why people get this idea that P2P will get you mature crowd... So far I've experienced exactly the opposite. I think B2P with cash shop (not intrusive cash shop where it blocks you from progressing) doesn't give the players this feeling that they're getting coined where P2P model does and is outdated (atleast those sub prices which are present today) thus should be left where it belongs.
    Because people are identifying a good community with a certain business model. p2p creates a more mature community etc, which is not true.

That cant be proven either way.

Ryzom for example has like 12 players and 90% is a fantastic p2p community. if you let in 200 f2p players the potential for a disastrous community escalates.

The amount of people associated with the game plays a larger role.

Originally posted by Galadourn I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.
    I've played WOW for years and the community I experienced was awful, elitist wannabe and anything but mature... Then, I got to GW2 and I'm just amazed how better the community in game is. One of the friendliest community in mmorpg world. I'm not really sure why people get this idea that P2P will get you mature crowd... So far I've experienced exactly the opposite. I think B2P with cash shop (not intrusive cash shop where it blocks you from progressing) doesn't give the players this feeling that they're getting coined where P2P model does and is outdated (atleast those sub prices which are present today) thus should be left where it belongs.

That cant be proven either way.

Ryzom for example has like 12 players and 90% is a fantastic p2p community. if you let in 200 f2p players the potential for a disastrous community escalates.

The amount of people associated with the game plays a larger role.

That's beside the point, elder scrolls online isn't going to be f2p, it will either be p2p or b2p.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I love when people use WoW as an example when it suits their needs. You know whats F2P and has the worst community of any game. LoL. I would rather have the WoW community then that community. 

We have had one game that is B2P and its community is nothing to praise either. Yet we have many good P2P games with amazing communities, FFXI, UO, Shadowbane, DAoC and the list goes on. Now I am sure there are F2P games with great communites as well, I'm not trying to say there isn't. But having a gate there at the start will keep it from being accessible to every one on the block and help keep out botters and RMT alike if not just the random kid that doesn't belong in the game in the first place. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

I love when people use WoW as an example when it suits there needs. You know whats F2P and has the worst community of any game. LoL. I would rather have the WoW community then that community. 

We have had one game that is B2P and its community is nothing to praise either. Yet we have many good P2P games with amazing communities, FFXI, UO, Shadowbane, DAoC and the list goes on. Now I am sure there are F2P games with great communites as well, I'm not trying to say there isn't. But having a gate there at the start will keep it from being accessible to every one on the block and help keep out botters and RMT alike if not just the random kid that doesn't belong in the game in the first place. 

Well said. LoL's community. /shudder

Originally posted by Vunak23

I love when people use WoW as an example when it suits there needs. You know whats F2P and has the worst community of any game. LoL. I would rather have the WoW community then that community. 

I love how you use LOL when it suits your needs, see i can do that too. LOL isn't even an MMO so stay on topic will you.

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Istavaan Originally posted by Aeonblades Originally posted by Istavaan Originally posted by Aeonblades Originally posted by korent1991 Originally posted by Galadourn I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.
      That cant be proven either way. Ryzom for example has like 12 players and 90% is a fantastic p2p community. if you let in 200 f2p players the potential for a disastrous community escalates. The amount of people associated with the game plays a larger role.
    That's beside the point, elder scrolls online isn't going to be f2p, it will either be p2p or b2p.

I thought your argument was people associating p2p with good communities are false?
    Regardless, My argument could be completely relevant if Teso pulled a tsw down the line.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I prefer subscription based. I'd even pay a lot more than the usual $15 a month for a good mmo. I'm willing to pay more for a smaller, better community.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by XAPGames

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Business-wise, you cannot go wrong with B2P and Cash Shop.

Other than the fact that you're missing out on six to eighteen months of hundreds of thousands of players dropping $15 monthly on top of having paid for the box (in multi-levels as you suggested).That's a large pile of cash.  From there, do a TSW... drop the mandatory sub and crank up item shop, optional sub, and/or unlockable content.
    You do make a good point :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

If you don't pay your 15$ a month you can't win.
    Your not making any sense with your abstract quotes now. Can you put that into some context?
    You know exacly what i am talking about. it doesn't matter what way you pay if you don't pay you can't win, and this is true for p2p as much as it is for f2p.
    Excuse me for butting in here, but in true MMORPGS, there is no "winning." They used to be open-ended games with no end to them. Winning does equate to "the end", no?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR