Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Which payment model is ideal for ESO?

Comments

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Going P2P in 2013 is a huge risk, either you win it all (WoW) or you lose it all (almost everyone else).

That's why I'm for it. It's the analogy of a breakfast of bacon and eggs: The chicken is involved, the pig is committed.

B2P is the chicken. Sub is the pig.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Scottgun

Going P2P in 2013 is a huge risk, either you win it all (WoW) or you lose it all (almost everyone else).

That's why I'm for it. It's the analogy of a breakfast of bacon and eggs: The chicken is involved, the pig is committed.

MMmmm bacon.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

MMmmm bacon.

Yeah. And PS: F2P is that nasty shrivelled up piece of gristle rotting under the table where your kid try to sneak it to the dog and the dog wouldn't even eat it.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    If it is not sub based, I doubt I will look twice at it.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    If it is not sub based, I doubt I will look twice at it.

Even if it's a great game? Wow talk about being conditioned.

• eimaiegoeimaiego Member Posts: 24

People want p2p and a mature community but the thought that the game will die in few months doesnt come to their mind.

Low population ruins the game, many aspects of the game fail because of this.

ololo

MMmmm bacon.

Yeah. And PS: F2P is that nasty shrivelled up piece of gristle rotting under the table where your kid try to sneak it to the dog and the dog wouldn't even eat it.

Speaking of dog not even eating, my cat dissapointed me the other day. Wouldn't eat friend chicken, but wanted mashed potatoes. WTF cat.

Back on subject, P2P or B2P, no F2P pretty please :)

Originally posted by eimaiego

People want p2p and a mature community but the thought that the game will die in few months doesnt come to their mind.

Huge following, one server. I doubt population will be an issue for many years unless the game is just absolutely god awful.

Everyone expected Rift to go F2P 3 months after release. Nearly 2 years later it's still going strong with 8 servers, most of which are high pop with an estimated 200k subscribers. It is possible even in the F2P age.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I hope it is subscription base like most AAA MMO's.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

P2P for me.

I'm poor, so to everyone saying I'm a peasent, or that I suck, well, f*ck you.

The reason I want P2P is because I like to have the possibility to attain everything in the game, it doesn't matter if the cash shop is just cosmetic, I want to be able to attain it by killing some boss, or doing a particular quest / event, or even PvP.

Games should not be about getting me to reach for my cc.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Copy eve model. Sub, but you can sell sub time in game.

High populations of cheapskate nubs ruins games as well.

The sub model is dead, this game will be B2P.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i voted for the f2p with sub option (the LOTRO plan).  the benefits of  paying a sub fee and  not having to deal with item shop foolishness along with the benefit of having f2p to keep the game full of people.

plus, with f2p with sub option, it gives the game company incentive to make the game enticingly good to get those f2p folks to cough up their 15 a month.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

or low populations of suckers who pay monthly subs for very average games that don't give you any new content.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Istavaan

That is your own personal belief and not fact bub. Show us your statistical flow charts please.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

or low populations of suckers who pay monthly subs for very average games that don't give you any new content.

The sad part is he has a point. Why do I still pay for EQ1? I guess even after all these years kiting with my druid never lost it's luster. It's not like they are pouring out new content with a new expansion every year or 2.

Like I said though, Rift is a good example of how to do sub based in the F2P age. ESO will have a much larger following than Rift at launch.

• eimaiegoeimaiego Member Posts: 24

I just think that low population creates more problems than the immature community

ololo

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I prefer the subscription model, but I'll work with anything that ensures product support and updates and expansions.  My biggest gripe about F2P models aside from them being quite expensive is the lack of quality content, updates and expansions.  The basic game is designed specifically to be punishing in order to encourage the use of the cash shops.  I don't care for that philosophy at all.  I'd rather the game be designed to be fun, then the cash shop adds to that fun.  Until they get a clue, I'll pretty much stick with subscriptions till then.

If your game is weak, then no payment model is going to save it. Pirates of the Burning Sea is one example. Sub didn't work. Hooking up with SOE didn't work. Being on Steam didn't work. Going Free-to-Play didn't work.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

The sad part is he has a point. Why do I still pay for EQ1? I guess even after all these years kiting with my druid never lost it's luster. It's not like they are pouring out new content with a new expansion every year or 2.

Like I said though, Rift is a good example of how to do sub based in the F2P age. ESO will have a much larger following than Rift at launch.

Trust me, Rift won't be P2P in a few months.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Originally posted by Betaguy

That is your own personal belief and not fact bub. Show us your statistical flow charts please.

Every new mmo releasing is either f2p or b2p. The mmo's that used be sub based are either going f2p(Tera) or b2p(TSW). Planetside 2 f2p, neverwinter will be f2p, firefall will be f2p. The only games that are sticking to the sub model are indie title because they really need the money.

If your game is weak, then no payment model is going to save it. Pirates of the Burning Sea is one example. Sub didn't work. Hooking up with SOE didn't work. Being on Steam didn't work. Going Free-to-Play didn't work.

TSW had a 300% population increase when it went b2p, b2p is a healthier business model.

Originally posted by Betaguy

Every new mmo releasing is either f2p or b2p. The mmo's that used be sub based are either going f2p(Tera) or b2p(TSW). Planetside 2 f2p, neverwinter will be f2p, firefall will be f2p. The only games that are sticking to the sub model are indie title because they really need the money.

Which indie games are these?

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    I picked B2P with microtransactions 'cuz that's kind of what they're doing with the singleplayer games. You pay once, get to play all you want, and then you can buy DLC (or horse armor image) if you want.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>