Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just another day in Wushu

13»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Elminzter
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Originally posted by Agrias34

Sounds really boring.  Especially the part you had to wait 1 hour because someone paid 40 silver as a bounty.  FUN

this game is just focuses on too many real aspects, and time restrictions.  For a sandbox, I don't like being restricted and told I can't do this because of how the game works.

Jail time serves the purpose of detering rampant ganking and murder. So the freedom of being able to attack anyone anywhere comes with the price of risking jail if you kill people left and right for no legitimate reason. Also, you can avoid jail (at least for a time) by being better than the players who try to catch you.

That's called balance, which is essential in a well designed game.

If you prefer the freedom of unchecked murder rampages and noob griefing, log in to Mortal Online or something.

jail time is only a hindrance not a deterrence how is this balance and how is it well designed when there are ways round the bountry system too, and also kindly explain how does this compare to Mortal Online where death has it's consequences????

imo, if jail time is too long just login to an alt account and do something else, because of the one character per account, most players has at least 2 chars:p.

You have to remain logged in in order for your time to server your time. 

off topic - It's funny how obvious it is to people who are playing, those who have not played. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Grable

"10 mins later, in a round  about way, I found 2, one through a friend. I turned myself in to her. She sent the 40 silver back, and I gave her 10."

Sorry, but this is just incredibly faggy and borders to exploit by my standards.

Other than that, waiting for EU myself as well. I could play NA or RU, but the ping is ~400ms and it makes combat stupid.

It is an exploit. The reason why it exists is because the penalty for being caught does not surpass the bounty amount. Which is a systematic flaw.

10 silver is the minimum bounty amount. 10 silver bounty = 20 minutes time out. 40 silver bounty means 1h 20 minutes of time out. a 100 silver bounty means 5hours time out. 

So you are telling me that someone dying 1 time or 2, losing 3 minutes of game play is being unfaily treated, while the other guy has to stop playing for a minum of 20 minutes? 

In my opinion the penalty is much too harsh, and I hope it gets tweeked before launch. This system is the reason why you dont see rampant killing. I think the it works too well to be honest.

AoW is filled with soft rules you are free to do whatever you want, if you are willing to pay the cost. Kinda like it is in real life...

You can arrange so that the time out happens during a time when you are not playing anyhow (like when you are at work or sleeping). 

It would be better if the person being caught took a direct economic hit . 

Originally posted by bcbully

"10 mins later, in a round  about way, I found 2, one through a friend. I turned myself in to her. She sent the 40 silver back, and I gave her 10."

Sorry, but this is just incredibly faggy and borders to exploit by my standards.

Other than that, waiting for EU myself as well. I could play NA or RU, but the ping is ~400ms and it makes combat stupid.

It is an exploit. The reason why it exists is because the penalty for being caught does not surpass the bounty amount. Which is a systematic flaw.

10 silver is the minimum bounty amount. 10 silver bounty = 20 minutes time out. 40 silver bounty means 1h 20 minutes of time out. a 100 silver bounty means 5hours time out. 

So you are telling me that someone dying 1 time or 2, losing 3 minutes of game play is being unfaily treated, while the other guy has to stop playing for a minum of 20 minutes? 

In my opinion the penalty is much too harsh, and I hope it gets tweeked before launch. This system is the reason why you dont see rampant killing. I think the it works too well to be honest.

AoW is filled with soft rules you are free to do whatever you want, if you are willing to pay the cost. Kinda like it is in real life...

You can arrange so that the time out happens during a time when you are not playing anyhow (like when you are at work or sleeping). 

It would be better if the person being caught took a direct economic hit . 

There are 100's (50? alot) of bounty hunters looking for you. Arranging a time to turn yourself is not as easy as, "Let's see I will be busy at 10 am, so I will turn myself in at 10." 

The constables are players, and I think it's fair to say they don't give rat's ass about your schedule.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

keep in mind that snail never said what kind of mount they will give, I said it months ago if they will give perma mount it will be probably slowest which is 5.0

have to sit in jail only if You are criminalist, normal pker can be offline

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Sorry, but this is just incredibly [mod edit]borders to exploit by my standards.

I don't see how corrupting a player police officer in a sandbox game can be an exploit.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Elminzter
    Originally posted by Eladi

The game is fun, just a "little" pay2win , you can literaly speed up training by 50% and become the best at anyting if you got more money then the other guys. and while i had good fun in the game I just cant see the game survive longterm in the western market at current prizes.

btw..our definition of a sandbox has become extremely low...  its a instanced game whit nothign to do but fight ..and click on static nodes..neatly packed tho..

a little is an understatment, buying gold and converting to unbound silver means you can technically buy all skills in-game and all the best clothes/jewelry, fastest horse etc..

not forgetting that u can train skills using unbound silver.

not sure which version that u played, but i played the NA version and its definately PAY2WIN, cause I know players are literally converting usd$300 to gold to buy up all the OP skills.

You have been on this roll for awhile now,

and you act like you can press a button and unload all your skills at once. Go ahead and spend real money and buy the full tangman set, the full wudang set, the full RG set, the full Scholar kick and whirlwind blade set.You know what you just did? Wasted a bunch of money because there is no way in hell you are going to bring them all out in a fight with the GCD between sets.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The sluggish combat killed it for me.

This was my issue as well.

I was such a hardcore 9dragons player I love the martial arts + mmorpg genre and all of us playing 9d even after it changed companies to gamersfirst were all really hyped and looking forward to Wulin.  I tried the game and sadly had to stop very shortly after starting, the combat was just horrible.  Theres so many cool aspects in this game I really really wanted it to be cool but its hard to enjoy a game where the combat feels so bad.

• GandoresGandores Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by the420kid

I was such a hardcore 9dragons player I love the martial arts + mmorpg genre and all of us playing 9d even after it changed companies to gamersfirst were all really hyped and looking forward to Wulin.  I tried the game and sadly had to stop very shortly after starting, the combat was just horrible.  Theres so many cool aspects in this game I really really wanted it to be cool but its hard to enjoy a game where the combat feels so bad.

Once you learn to synergize your various abilites, combat become a lot better.

Originally posted by the420kid

You know how in WoW you can strafe back and forth really fast? You can do the same thing in AoW, no slide, no delay. Swtor, TSW, GW2 were not able to pull that level of responsiveness off.

Do you mind explaining what you mean by sluggish? Are you talking about latency?

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    What's wrong with combat? It's a fairly cool system and for some reason reminds me of street fighter or sleeping dogs.

My only gripe is that the game doesn't even hint where to get certain moves and skills from.

For example I see people sprinting and flying kicking and running up walls and from what I've gathered all of these skills are instance drops only?
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    They drop in dungeons but they're not char bound so you can buy them from other players.
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I have to disagree with a lot of posters in this thread.  AoW is a AAA title.  The localization is pretty poorly done but game design is top notch and art direction is absolutely beautiful.  The graphics aren't intense but the art direction team really did everything they could with what they had. 

The combat system in AoW is hardly clunky.  Maybe when you first start and haven't learned much kung fu yet.   I hate mmorpgs for the most part, and reason number one is bad combat.  Hot key combat is usually simply spamming combo rotations over and over, in other words boring as hell.  AoW combat is both awesome and fun.  The block/feint/attack mechanics really add a lot of strategy to fights.  You can't simply block everything because you will get hit with a feint.  Feint too much and you are gonna get crushed by an overt attack.  Attack too much and the opponent will just block everything and fill their rage meter.  Add flying skills to that and pvp fights get really insane.  I've been in fights that play like a running chase through entire cities with people hopping on roof tops and running up walls just like in fantasy martial arts movies like Crouching Tiger/Hero/House of Flying Daggers. 

There is so much to do in this game that a lot of players feel lost when they join.  The best part is that mobs don't give xp so no grinding stupid mobs!!!!  Also, rewards from your basic fetch/kill quests are terrible, so no one does them!!!!   Quest and mob grinding were the dumbest parts of pre-AoW mmorpgs and it's nice to see a game where that simply isn't present.   

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Wush Frinday night

Robbed about 11 or 12 carts

Got 1 script out the "School Script Defend." Only a 2nd.

Did GCC (second dungeon)for my 19-28 2nd internal

Got a Cruel Sevens fragment (no idea why people want these.)

Aaand off the last boss I got  "MOVE ON WATER"!!!!!! I win image

cillin in my stall now hoping to sell a few things and annotate a few books. Illustious Calligrapher here!

edit - I got a superb double blade book too. Not sure how, I turned in fly Jet Li tokens this mornign walked away and this guy appeared with red thing over his head. I clicked him completed the task and the system sent me a bag.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic
    What's wrong with combat? It's a fairly cool system and for some reason reminds me of street fighter or sleeping dogs. My only gripe is that the game doesn't even hint where to get certain moves and skills from. For example I see people sprinting and flying kicking and running up walls and from what I've gathered all of these skills are instance drops only?

Its typical of Asian MMOs. It seems to me that a lot of people in this thread haven't played many of them. All it boils down to is rock paper sisscors where both players don't have to go at the same time. Yes, it is more engaging than most western MMOs combat systems, but it doesn't have as much depth as some people here are making it out to be. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

This game does sound interesting. Thanks for posting about your adventures.

Unfortunately, I have zero interest in the game due to the setting. The whole Kung Fu, ancient China motif just turns me off.

I guess I just prefer high fantasy or Sci Fi.

Nothing against the game though, its just not my bag.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.