Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just another day in Wushu

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Something that I really dig about this game is that everyday is different. There's something always going on. Here's my day today.

Logged in. I had made 40 silver while off line 

picked up my dialy beta reward

decided to do some mining

Kidnaped a person on the way

Mined about 2 nodes before, someone tried to steal the 3rd. I killed him. He came back, I killed him again. I continued mining.

About 10 mins later the guy jumps out of nowhere and managed to kill me.. He ran off.

10 minutes after that, I noticed a bounty was placed on me... 40silver bounty, not bad.

I ported to my hide out (not really a hide out, but it's my hide out) and began to look for a constable to turn myself into. There are good cops, and bad cops in AoW, I was looking for a bad cop. The couple I knew where offline.

10 mins later, in a round  about way, I found 2, one through a friend. I turned myself in to her. She sent the 40 silver back, and I gave her 10.

Time to chech the forums... I had to sit down for a hour because of the bounty/warrent.

Got out of prison, and caught a group for team practice starting up.

I went up to the water fall (a place the speeds up training) did some calligraphy while I waited for the 10 man team to form.

After team pratice decided to do some crafting. I made some swords and a few blades, then set up my stall.

I did some shopping while I was selling, found  a skill I could use.

Set up my offline stall logged off. 

After I got done taking care of RL stuff it was time for the script steal event.

I made sure I had my poisons and HP pills ready. 15 minutes later it started. I didnt get anything today. I will next time though.

After the event I went back to Chengu (the trade capital) watched chat for the deals rolling through. I bought next tier skills of ones I already had. Good deal.

Did a couple duels

Decided it was a good time to rob some carts

It was kinda slow, the only person running was in a guild that I respect and am cool with a couple members. I let that person run 3 carts past me (I never do that) on the 4th someone attack her. I killed the guy, but in the confusion she started to attack me! I didnt fight back, and tried to communicate to her, that I was there to help. 

I missed where she apologized... I killed her 2 times then robbed her cart... 

After some back and forth a couple threats and a few whatevers. I apologized.

She said I could kill a few people to make it up to her. Just like Game of Thorns, I asked for names.

I found the 2 waiting for her to run her next cart. I attacked killed one, the other got me, but a couple people watching joined iin and cleaned things up. 

I told her "even" then dropped teams I felt bad attacking fellow bandits... They even asked "why you attack us?" long story... We worked it out.

A couple minutes later a guild with about 7 memebers came through running 7 carts!!!! about 5 of us killed them smased the carts and looted the sweet juicy xp pills. I ended up with about 40 pills. Thats enough for me to eat for 4-5 days! 

I hung out for a bit, checked the market once more then decided to call it a night.

Just another day in Wushu. How did your day go?

edit - I found out that guild war winners can set tax rates too. I don;t know hte details on how it works, but apparently it does.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

My day was mostly waiting for the EU version to launch.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Why wait? Sure I'll probably switch to Wulin when it releases (mainly for lower ping) but until then I'll be on the NA server, learning the game and having fun.

Originally posted by Biskop
    Why wait? Sure I'll probably switch to Wulin when it releases (mainly for lower ping) but until then I'll be on the NA server, learning the game and having fun.

I tried it and the quality of the translation was not up to my standards. I can wait for the EU version just fine.

Yeah, the translation is surely lol-worthy but it doesn't make the game unplayable.

If you prefer waiting though, more power too you. I just got the impression that you're a bit impatient since you're posting about Wulin in this thread about people's doings in Wushu.. : )
    Yeah, the translation is surely lol-worthy but it doesn't make the game unplayable.

If you prefer waiting though, more power too you. I just got the impression that you're a bit impatient since you're posting about Wulin in this thread about people's doings in Wushu.. : )

Nah I'm just at work and it gets boring here sometimes.

• GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66

"10 mins later, in a round  about way, I found 2, one through a friend. I turned myself in to her. She sent the 40 silver back, and I gave her 10."

Sorry, but this is just[mod edit]borders to exploit by my standards.

Other than that, waiting for EU myself as well. I could play NA or RU, but the ping is ~400ms and it makes combat stupid.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    The sluggish combat killed it for me.
    Originally posted by Grable

"10 mins later, in a round  about way, I found 2, one through a friend. I turned myself in to her. She sent the 40 silver back, and I gave her 10."

Sorry, but this is just incredibly [mod edit]borders to exploit by my standards.

Other than that, waiting for EU myself as well. I could play NA or RU, but the ping is ~400ms and it makes combat stupid.

No it is brilliant. Keep in mind that the constable in question could just have taken the 40 silver and send the player in jail, laughing all the way to bank.

• BatzenbaerBatzenbaer Member UncommonPosts: 76

I do the same every Day:

-logged in and check my inventar-->how much sold with offline Stall

-doing Spymission twice with 10Tokens-->999XP

-doing TP with my Emei Sisters

-port to Scholar-->farming Monkey Skins

-port to Lyuliang-->farming Dog Skins

-port to Qiandeng and do my Daylie Lifeskillquests

-harvest Ramie/Hemp/Lob Worm/Hetch Worm

-craft lots of Xuiwen Satin and 12-15 Armor Pieces

-disassemble the 37er Pieces and go with the 54er to my Poison Maker for upgrade

-ask in Guildchat 4 GCC or TV and make a Run

-port to Chengdu check the Stalls

-set my Offline Stall and log out

Waiting 4 EU Version because all Events at Nighttime 4 me.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Sorry, but this is just incredibly [mod edit]borders to exploit by my standards.

No it is brilliant. Keep in mind that the constable in question could just have taken the 40 silver and send the player in jail, laughing all the way to bank.

Yes and the silver still dictates a decent amount of time behind bars

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It was increadibly cheesy for the guy to put a 40 silver bounty on me too. The higher the bounty the longer a person has to sit down.  This chump stole my ore got killed for it, tried again. got killed again, then 10 minutes later put a 1h 20 min bounty on me!

AoW is a very social game. I had to make new friends in secret, while hiding out, and then trust someone. Hell that's a quest on to itself lol. I still through all of that had to do my time.

I keep saying that the ground rules in AoW are spawning culture with soft rules. Interesting stuff going on here.

Originally posted by Batzenbaer

I do the same every Day:

-logged in and check my inventar-->how much sold with offline Stall

-doing Spymission twice with 10Tokens-->999XP

-doing TP with my Emei Sisters

-port to Scholar-->farming Monkey Skins

-port to Lyuliang-->farming Dog Skins

-port to Qiandeng and do my Daylie Lifeskillquests

-harvest Ramie/Hemp/Lob Worm/Hetch Worm

-craft lots of Xuiwen Satin and 12-15 Armor Pieces

-disassemble the 37er Pieces and go with the 54er to my Poison Maker for upgrade

-ask in Guildchat 4 GCC or TV and make a Run

-port to Chengdu check the Stalls

-set my Offline Stall and log out

Waiting 4 EU Version because all Events at Nighttime 4 me.

Wow, I bet you are rich. Nice schedule man. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You guys make this game sound really good, think I will give it a try when it eu launches. The only thing that puts me off Is the setting, if there was a game like this but with a cyberpunk setting or something that would be cool.

One question though. I really hate character models in games like aion and tera, and well with the latter find them peadobear creepy. Is wushu the same or is it more of a real Asian setting?
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You guys make this game sound really good, think I will give it a try when it eu launches. The only thing that puts me off Is the setting, if there was a game like this but with a cyberpunk setting or something that would be cool.

One question though. I really hate character models in games like aion and tera, and well with the latter find them peadobear creepy. Is wushu the same or is it more of a real Asian setting?

I tried to get it into 3 times but i just cna not get past the cheap F2P kind of vibes it gave me. There are some interesting things in the game but bad combat animations and heavy asian theme just put me off. Which is strange because i played FFXI and Aion for a very long time and even enjoyed Tera.

But i just can not get used to it in AOW.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Honestly Mo, I wish some western devs would clone this game, like swtor did WoW. I would have no problem playing a fantasy, cyber punk, modern day, futuristic AoW clone. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The spy missions sound awesome. They could work in the west as a spy / espionage style mmo. Surely there would be a market for that sort if thing - bourne, bond, mission impossible etc..
    The spy missions sound awesome. They could work in the west as a spy / espionage style mmo. Surely there would be a market for that sort if thing - bourne, bond, mission impossible etc..

The problem with western MMO's is they can not get out of the WoW mold. Spying and Espionage only work in a open or semi open PvP or at least Realm vs Realm type of game. Spying would be zero fun if all you had to worry about was those lame npc's that patrol the bases, in fact if that was all you had to worry about I am sure the developers would feel the need to disable some of your abilities while you were doing spying so you could not exploit the AI, for instance the super jumps and wall climbs would probably be out as the AI can not deal well with those...or they would do like TSW and give every AI character a ranged magic attack.

It is because in AoW you also have to worry about other players, that they can let you go in and do what you want because...exploit the AI all day...the AI isn't the one who is going to jump off a roof and turn your spy mission upside down in a heartbeat. But even just having PvP wouldn't make the spy missions work they had to

A) have permanent places for each faction that were fully approachable by the other factions (Schools)

This means no walls, no uber npc guards who one shot kill, no barriers.

B) have a reason people would actually be at those factions

This means you can not have a single social hub where everyone congregates, nor can you have everyone in raids and dungeons all the time. AoW does this with its cultivation methods, another method could be exp absorption which I have seen used before...but modern players don't seem to care much for the exp absorption model.

The same place you turn your spy mission in at is the same place other spies come to spy. I think this was important as it ensured the school houses didn't become waste lands...they have Team Practice spots, a small boost to exp absorption, the redemption spot for breaking school rules,and the spy mission giver..so there are going to be people around for whatever reason willing to hunt spies.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

There are a few screen shots in this thread which will give you some idea. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373972

Originally posted by GrayKodiak

The problem with western MMO's is they can not get out of the WoW mold. Spying and Espionage only work in a open or semi open PvP or at least Realm vs Realm type of game. Spying would be zero fun if all you had to worry about was those lame npc's that patrol the bases, in fact if that was all you had to worry about I am sure the developers would feel the need to disable some of your abilities while you were doing spying so you could not exploit the AI, for instance the super jumps and wall climbs would probably be out as the AI can not deal well with those...or they would do like TSW and give every AI character a ranged magic attack.

It is because in AoW you also have to worry about other players, that they can let you go in and do what you want because...exploit the AI all day...the AI isn't the one who is going to jump off a roof and turn your spy mission upside down in a heartbeat. But even just having PvP wouldn't make the spy missions work they had to

A) have permanent places for each faction that were fully approachable by the other factions (Schools)

This means you can not have a single social hub where everyone congregates, nor can you have everyone in raids and dungeons all the time. AoW does this with its cultivation methods, another method could be exp absorption which I have seen used before...but modern players don't seem to care much for the exp absorption model.

The same place you turn your spy mission in at is the same place other spies come to spy. I think this was important as it ensured the school houses didn't become waste lands...they have Team Practice spots, a small boost to exp absorption, the redemption spot for breaking school rules,and the spy mission giver..so there are going to be people around for whatever reason willing to hunt spies.

Agreed, most Western developers seem to be very scared of alienating the holy casual/PvE/WoW crowd by making an actual oPvP game where player conflict (and thus cooperation) is at the core and not added as an extra ride. I mean even games like WAR which was sold as a PvP game limited the PvP to closed-off areas or instances, instead of integrating it into the overall design of the game. 

Seems like most AAA devs are just trying to please as many people as possible - which means their games turn out to be shallow clones of each other instead of bringing anything new to the table - while the indies that do attempt to make PvP games only bring disgrace to the sandbox genre with their amateurism and shoddy business practices.

AoW does so many things right when it comes to making the different mechanics tie in to each other and the oPvP of the game world that most current Western games pale in comparison, which is promising and alarming at the same time. Tbh i had loved it if this game was made in the West but it's not, and it's kinda sad that people dismiss it as "too Asian" while mediocre titles like GW2 are heralded as revolutionary. If AoW was made by a Western AAA developer and had a fantasy theme, most people who like to pretend they're into innovative game design would probably be all over it and it would be hyped beyond reason.

Not only does it make oPvP work balance-wise and solve several problems that the indie oPvP games have been struggling with for years (a working alignment system, no artificial safezones, harsh penalties for mindless ganking, actual player policing, loads of meaningful PvP instead of pointless zerging/ganking/griefing, etc, etc), it also manages to blend this with a player driven economy and an open skill system. It's also a very social game - most of your activities has to do with other players, not NPCs, and you'll not be spending your time in queues or lobbies, but out in the world.

If you can't look behind the "Asian" aestethics (which are fine btw since it's they're influenced by actual history and not by anime or anything like that), you'll be missing things that won't appear in a Western MMO for years.

And yeah, the combat is clunky - until you get your skills and learn how to fight. You won't be Jet Li the moment you log in, just like you're not gonna lead large-fleet battles in EVE on day one.

And yeah, the combat is clunky - until you get your skills and learn how to fight. You won't be Jet Li the moment you log in, just like you're not gonna lead large-fleet battles in EVE on day one.

What was that single player star wars game that you started off as Vader? MMO's should do that, have the intro zone demonstrate the potential instead of giving you the absolute most mind boggling useless and boring skills to ease you into the game.

Agreed, most Western developers seem to be very scared of alienating the holy casual/PvE/WoW crowd by making an actual oPvP game where player conflict (and thus cooperation) is at the core and not added as an extra ride. I mean even games like WAR which was sold as a PvP game limited the PvP to closed-off areas or instances, instead of integrating it into the overall design of the game. 

Seems like most AAA devs are just trying to please as many people as possible - which means their games turn out to be shallow clones of each other instead of bringing anything new to the table - while the indies that do attempt to make PvP games only bring disgrace to the sandbox genre with their amateurism and shoddy business practices.

AoW does so many things right when it comes to making the different mechanics tie in to each other and the oPvP of the game world that most current Western games pale in comparison, which is promising and alarming at the same time. Tbh i had loved it if this game was made in the West but it's not, and it's kinda sad that people dismiss it as "too Asian" while mediocre titles like GW2 are heralded as revolutionary. If AoW was made by a Western AAA developer and had a fantasy theme, most people who like to pretend they're into innovative game design would probably be all over it and it would be hyped beyond reason.

Not only does it make oPvP work balance-wise and solve several problems that the indie oPvP games have been struggling with for years (a working alignment system, no artificial safezones, harsh penalties for mindless ganking, actual player policing, loads of meaningful PvP instead of pointless zerging/ganking/griefing, etc, etc), it also manages to blend this with a player driven economy and an open skill system. It's also a very social game - most of your activities has to do with other players, not NPCs, and you'll not be spending your time in queues or lobbies, but out in the world.

If you can't look behind the "Asian" aestethics (which are fine btw since it's they're influenced by actual history and not by anime or anything like that), you'll be missing things that won't appear in a Western MMO for years.

Entire post is sig worthy

What was that single player star wars game that you started off as Vader? MMO's should do that, have the intro zone demonstrate the potential instead of giving you the absolute most mind boggling useless and boring skills to ease you into the game.

Didn't Aion have some dream sequence at lvl 3 or something where you could try flying for a short time? Guess something similar could work in Wushu.

Still, I'm not sure pleasing the instant gratification crowd is the way to go. MMOs are about progression and developing a character - it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that the first couple of hours will not be representative of the whole game. Also, I remember logging in for the first time and seeing some awesome dudes flying around kicking each other and whipping chains, running on walls and so on, and that was my carrot right there. It made my noob ass feel really gimped, but at the same time it made me want to experience more.

Not saying AoW has a perfect starter experience, on the contrary. But people need to realize you won't be a martial arts god just because you pushed the "log in" button.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by bcbully

I don't know what is so signature worthy about what he said . The highlighted part is all wrong considering majority of western sandbox MMOS are all about OPVP with exception of sandbox like Saga Of Ryzom which focus on PVE..  Unless you are mixing sandbox with themepark i don't know, what he said makes no sense at all.

Now you may or may not like the western sandbox OPVP games but to exaggerate and say majority of western devs are scared to alienate WOW casual crowd even though those who play WOW are completely different audience from sandbox players.

But i guess you get more cool points if you randomly throw WOW in every post no matter how un related to original topic of discussion.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by bcbully

I don't know what is so signature worthy about what he said . The highlighted part is all wrong considering majority of western sandbox MMOS are all about OPVP with exception of sandbox like Saga Of Ryzom which focus on PVE..  Unless you are mixing sandbox with themepark i don't know, what he said makes no sense at all.

Now you may or may not like the western sandbox OPVP games but to exaggerate and say majority of western devs are scared to alienate WOW casual crowd even though those who play WOW are completely different audience from sandbox players.

But i guess you get more cool points if you randomly throw WOW in every post no matter how un related to original topic of discussion.

Did you entirely miss the AAA and indie references in his post?

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

At least you missed some points in reading comprehension.

Why don't you try and re-read what I wrote?