Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the next level past crickets? Vacuum?

xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Man!  Does Tasos and Aventurine know how to suck the energy out of a new MMO or what?

All the areas where Aventurine could be releasing tid-bits of information have dried up.  This forum is practically dead.  The Steam Greenlight forum for DarkFall is basically non-existant.  The official DarkFall: Unholy Wars public forum is on life-support.  The Beta Forum is still under NDA, but I think most of us who might be interested in DarkFall; either have access to it, or know people who have access to it.  For those that don't... do some Google searching.  The information is out there.

One thing that I think is safe to say at this point:

DarkFall: Unholy Wars was never, ever close to release... despite what Tasos told us in the video interview posted here on MMORPG.COM at the end of November, 2012.  (And was predicted by some). image

The most telling though is the recent "micro-interview" that  Bill Murphy recently posted.  Wow!  3 whole questions!  Exactly zero specific information about Unholy Wars, it's release, how Beta is progressing, or any number of relevant information.  You could take what Tasos spewed out in those 3 answers and paste it into pretty much any recent MMO and you'd have some garbage, marketing mumbo-jumbo.  Bleh!

As an aside:

I really hope Bill Murphy tried to get more information from Tasos, but was shut down.  Otherwise that was pretty sad, and makes the  "Games of 2013" articles look like a sure thing to skip from reading here on MMORPG.COM.  Hopefully, Bill was just having an off day.

Over a month and half since DarkFall was supposed to release.  We have Tasos' own words telling us it is release ready months before... and now silence.  I guess now we know what it sounds like.  image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUy9ePyo6Q

(Yeah, I know it's a corny Simon & Garfunkel song... but I like it).image

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well I don't know much about anything your talking about except the taking the air out the balloon. They had incredible momentum when the game was announced, right up until the beta despite the two push backs. 

Who knows though, maybe they can do the same thing from out the silence again.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    I'm sure AV focus is on Steam and how many new victims they can wrangle. 
  • xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    I'm sure AV focus is on Steam and how many new victims they can wrangle. 

Possibly, but you'd think they would provide some new info, or video, or screen-shots then to keep interest up.   But then, I am not the marketing genius that Tasos is... so what do I know.  image

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I played Darkfall on and off for 4 years, and was, at best, cannon fodder.  But I loved it.

I played Unholy Wars from the beginning of beta til about 4 days ago, and have no plans on playing again.  I know a lot of folks who feel this way, and it makes me sad.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Actually I think Darkfall Unholy Wars did release already.

It's just, nobody cared.

Seriously though, Darkfall 2.0 2010 2013 Unholy Wars NGE only has Aventurine to blame for anything that happens from this point forward.

Here's a tip though - there is no debug toggle that can instantly make performance excellent, fix server issues, fix all the bugs, change massive design decision failures and release the game on Steam despite what the fans think :)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by kadepsyson 

Here's a tip though - there is no debug toggle that can instantly make performance excellent, fix server issues, fix all the bugs, change massive design decision failures and release the game on Steam despite what the fans think :)

But... but, isn't that what debuggers do?  Push a button and it removes all the bugs?

If only life were so easy.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I played Darkfall on and off for 4 years, and was, at best, cannon fodder.  But I loved it.

I played Unholy Wars from the beginning of beta til about 4 days ago, and have no plans on playing again.  I know a lot of folks who feel this way, and it makes me sad.

Yeah, I think we know a lot of the same people.

It is just sad that DarkFall couldn't have been taken over by a better studio.  Or, at the very least that Aventurine gets rid of Tasos.  Heck, that move alone might bring back a good number of players.  image

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Who cares. ArcheAge is coming out and Trion is publishing. I think that's good news. I'm over DF now.

Unfortunately for fans of DarkFall, I think that is the sentiment of many players.

As was said by others, Aventurine and Tasos have only themselves to blame.  image

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Well the hype and noisemaking was due to launch.  Launch turned into beta, but even then people held hopes that it was ready to go.

Once beta hit a LOT of people just gave the game a "call me when it launches" attitude.  Early game in DF has always been a bit rough and somewhat tedious playing with a character that doesnt do much of anything too well.  I like many dont want to burn out testing early/mid game over and over.

Right now all you have is the vets fighting about how the game should really be, on fanatical levels...which turns off even more people from the forums.  So all thats really left (on the beta forums at least) as those who are not smart enough to understand core development is over, and think their suggestions to totally revamp the game as a FPS arena game with no progression can be a reality if they post enough.  This is 90% of the complaints, the other 10 is debug mode making the game play iffy on a lot of systems.

The mixture of the game going from launch to beta for a month plus, tied in with one of the most obnoxious vocal minorites of vets outside of Diablo 3 make hanging around in game and on the forums too much.

Id rather just hop in game and avoid the whole mess personally...once its launched of course.  I think many are in my boat.

As usual with the developers, the big question is going to be WHEN?  Been though this all with DF 1.0 so i know how its going to play out.  Best to just wait untill its launched and hope its where it should be. 

• MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178
    And for me, there is the whole macroing skills up issue. What's up with that? Is that going to be in DFUW, too?

Tasos has already posted that macro programs ARE allowed.

It will take about 24 hours of solid macroing to skill up your basic skills.

You can either let those skills develop naturally - over the course of however many weeks or months it will take you - or just macro your skills near a resource stash for the first day.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    The undisputed top worse mmo of 2013 undoubtedly goes to Darkfall. Gold medal. Congrats to Aventurine!!
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

DW:UF

The only game that will proceed to win the "shittiest MMO launch of the year" twice.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

Well the hype and noisemaking was due to launch.  Launch turned into beta, but even then people held hopes that it was ready to go.

Once beta hit a LOT of people just gave the game a "call me when it launches" attitude.  Early game in DF has always been a bit rough and somewhat tedious playing with a character that doesnt do much of anything too well.  I like many dont want to burn out testing early/mid game over and over.

Right now all you have is the vets fighting about how the game should really be, on fanatical levels...which turns off even more people from the forums.  So all thats really left (on the beta forums at least) as those who are not smart enough to understand core development is over, and think their suggestions to totally revamp the game as a FPS arena game with no progression can be a reality if they post enough.  This is 90% of the complaints, the other 10 is debug mode making the game play iffy on a lot of systems.

The mixture of the game going from launch to beta for a month plus, tied in with one of the most obnoxious vocal minorites of vets outside of Diablo 3 make hanging around in game and on the forums too much.

Id rather just hop in game and avoid the whole mess personally...once its launched of course.  I think many are in my boat.

As usual with the developers, the big question is going to be WHEN?  Been though this all with DF 1.0 so i know how its going to play out.  Best to just wait untill its launched and hope its where it should be. 

Good discussion and feedback Crunchy.

You didn't really touch on what I think is an important piece of this whole debacle:

Aventurine & Tasos weren't planning on a Beta for DFUW until the very last day before launch.

They made the exact same mistake the first time around.  We asked again and again on the forums how the game was being tested.  That was followed by Tasos proclaiming: Don't worry about it, we got it covered by "professional" testers internally.  Well, we all know how that turned out.  They finally capitulated and did a shortened, limited public Beta that for all intents, didn't really address a lot of the original games short-comings.

So now we get to DFUW... again we ask repeatedly:  How is DFUW being tested?  Again Tasos states: "Don't worry about it, we got it covered.  The game is almost release ready."  And again, we see that nothing Tasos proclaims publicly has a basis in reality.

I will give Aventurine credit that the Beta they are now running seems to be operating in a true Beta fashion.  There are bugs getting fixed.  How many exploits are going unreported though?  If it is anything like original DarkFall... yuk!  

I agree as well too many posters on the Beta forums don't realize the scope of what can be addressed in a Beta.  Beta fixes bugs.  Changes to gameplay and design... not so much.  If players don't like the gameplay and/or design in Beta (which a fair number of vets have said they don't), then Aventurine is going to have to hope there are at least that many new players that replace them because they do like the new gameplay/design.  That remains a very big unknown currently. image

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I loved that everyone voted for DFUW for game of 2012 before they realised it was a typo and not due til 2022.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by tom_gore

DW:UF

The only game that will proceed to win the "shittiest MMO launch of the year" twice.

That made me chuckle :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Same for me.

Why is that though? 

It's like I don't even have the energy or desire to analyze it that much now. 

On the bright side, I live where I might still be able to play the old Darkfall when it goes FTP here. Is that possible or is it something I just imagined? 

Who cares. ArcheAge is coming out and Trion is publishing. I think that's good news. I'm over DF now.

Didnt they shut DF 1 down for DF: UW?  because if so, i wouldnt think they would bring it back ftp or otherwise.  havent followed too closely though, so sorry if im mistaken and its still running

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by xzyax
    Aventurine & Tasos weren't planning on a Beta for DFUW until the very last day before launch.
    (...)
    If players don't like the gameplay and/or design in Beta (which a fair number of vets have said they don't), then Aventurine is going to have to hope there are at least that many new players that replace them because they do like the new gameplay/design.  That remains a very big unknown currently. image

Most low profile MMOs, and many high profile ones (FF XIV comes to mind) launch when investors decide that they should. The switch to beta wasn't probably Tasos decision - and until he was authorised to postpone launch - he couldn't talk about it.

There are gameplay changes in every beta. It's not so hard to increase / decrease cooldown, speed, damage, protections - if 95% of players demand it - and sometimes this completely change "feel" of the combat, or the whole game. 

The problem is - there is no consensus among the players, esp. those who played DF1 for years, and those who came just for DF:UW. Just some people are really loud, post multiple threads on the same topic, and try to make impression that they speak for everyone.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Of course, that could be cool for me since I live in Asia with the ping and all, but at the same time, f2p pvp is kind of sketchy. Also, who knows when and if that will ever happen considering what's going on with DFUW. The only way I see it done is if the Korean partner already has the game (DF1) as part of the deal for the financial backing of DFUW, and they are refitting it for f2p. I just hope it's not p2w... 

They won't launch old (DF 1) as F2P - it will be the new one (DF:UW).

No matter how old players praise DF 1 - it wouldn't have any appeal to F2P audience - it doesn't look great and is needlessly complicated.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96

Although I agree with most of you and while Tasos should be receiving flak due to a buggy unfinished game the fact still remains that it is the only FPS full loot sandbox available to play by pre-ordering. Games such as The Repopulation and Archeage have barely been announced and will probably release around q3 q4 2012, which still gives people a huge downtime in between while craving a sandbox. 

Other games, such as Age of Wushu, come very close and perhaps rise above features in DFUW but without full loot its a moot point. Full loot is what drives 90% of the game population. 

I wouldn't really call it a failure until it actually launches and these forums are STILL dead, and I vaguely recall seeing the same type of disappointment and lull in acitivity in the first DFO beta right up until launch.

Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

Although I agree with most of you and while Tasos should be receiving flak due to a buggy unfinished game the fact still remains that it is the only FPS full loot sandbox available to play by pre-ordering. Games such as The Repopulation and Archeage have barely been announced and will probably release around q3 q4 2012, which still gives people a huge downtime in between while craving a sandbox. 

Other games, such as Age of Wushu, come very close and perhaps rise above features in DFUW but without full loot its a moot point. Full loot is what drives 90% of the game population. 

I wouldn't really call it a failure until it actually launches and these forums are STILL dead, and I vaguely recall seeing the same type of disappointment and lull in acitivity in the first DFO beta right up until launch.

What drives the tenth player then?

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    DFUW convinced me ot go back and try Mortal Online again.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

I 100% agree. As bad as AV is handling DFUW (which isn't as bad as people say), you still have to judge the ENTIRE package. You can't say yeah they create a game that sounds good on paper and is completely what I want in a game, BUT they suck with communication etc. You have to give credit where credit is due. They're the only ones creating a full loot, massive pvp conquest, fps game.

Also, it's important to note that they are constantly saying that they will fix things that players don't like. They're always like "we think this is good, but we're open to change things as necessary." Almost all of the rage from this immature spastic community is based on the assumption that they're... what? not working hard enough? The forums look like this: A ton of kids making posts about things they don't want in the game, and then whenever AV releases patch notes, it's those same kids saying "OMG THEY STILL HAVEN'T FIXED ___" 

Originally posted by JeremyBowyerYou have to give credit where credit is due. They're the only ones creating a full loot, massive pvp conquest, fps game.

Well you almost had a good point.

Sadly though, this is just not true.

There is another full loot massive pvp conquest with FIrst Person view, among a massive amount of far more innovative and impressive features, MMORPG being created.

It is called Embers of Caerus.

There are other, better, options coming.  There's no real need to get suckered and support incompetent devs

Look through the features in the link, and you'll see a staggering difference in what is being attempted by both companies.

Aventurine had their chance to do it right, and had to shut down Darkfall.  Why give them another chance on a worse version, when other devs are creating better games?

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyerYou have to give credit where credit is due. They're the only ones creating a full loot, massive pvp conquest, fps game.

There is another full loot massive pvp conquest with FIrst Person view, among a massive amount of far more innovative and impressive features, MMORPG being created.

There are other, better, options coming.  There's no real need to get suckered and support incompetent devs

Look through the features in the link, and you'll see a staggering difference in what is being attempted by both companies.

Aventurine had their chance to do it right, and had to shut down Darkfall.  Why give them another chance on a worse version, when other devs are creating better games?

Because like I said.... they're the only game in town. when does Embers come out......? Like 2015 or something?

There seems to be a big influx of sandbox hardcore mmo's coming out and that's GREAT. But they're not out yet and they can't be judged. You can't say that better options are coming until they're here because a big part of the darkfall hate is the hype/promises that they didn't live up to. I'm not sure why you think embers is immune to this.

Originally posted by JeremyBowyer

Because like I said.... they're the only game in town. when does Embers come out......? Like 2015 or something?

There seems to be a big influx of sandbox hardcore mmo's coming out and that's GREAT. But they're not out yet and they can't be judged. You can't say that better options are coming until they're here because a big part of the darkfall hate is the hype/promises that they didn't live up to. I'm not sure why you think embers is immune to this.

Remind me again when Darkfall 2010 was released?

Or is there even a release date for it at all at this point?