Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open-world and supports up to 2000 players

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by bcbully

so 3 separate pve areas and one big pvp area?

looks like it

Which is exactly like Dark Age of Camelot.  I can understand if you do not like it but it isn't an issue for those of us who are looking for a spiritual successor to DAoC.

actually one of the main things i didn't like in DAOC:)

You may want to check out Black Desert...war in an ACTUAL open world, guilds can delcare war, and it has actual sieges, real sieges...cannons and all. Far closer to TES than this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNFSw107MQs

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jtcgs

looks like it

Which is exactly like Dark Age of Camelot.  I can understand if you do not like it but it isn't an issue for those of us who are looking for a spiritual successor to DAoC.

You may want to check out Black Desert...war in an ACTUAL open world, guilds can delcare war, and it has actual sieges, real sieges...cannons and all. Far closer to TES than this game.

oh i seen it game looks amazing.. LOVE the character models.. unfortunatley i'm not hopefull of US release anytime this year or even next

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Tayah

Aye, we've been waiting for a long time now.

Yep, can t wait. Especially after the dismal failure of GW2 WvW supposed to be anything remotely close to DAOC RvR.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Ghostshadows So pretty much a DAOC style Elder Scrolls game...but ill be damn between this and ArcheAge. I dont think  I will see the sun again! lol Take my money now!

I'm just hoping for 1 of them to keep me playing for years. I haven't had a good mmorpg to hold me for more than a couple months. Lately, all we get are poorly made WOW clones.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

oh i seen it game looks amazing.. LOVE the character models.. unfortunatley i'm not hopefull of US release anytime this year or even next

It will, they did an interview stating they are looking for a late Q1 2013 beta in Korea and a late Q2/early Q3 beta everywhere else, they are still in talks with getting a distributor outside Asia and are trying to have a worldwide release right after launching in Korea...so, hopfully, early 2014 release.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

looks like it

This looks good but it would melt the average pc with over 30 players on screen at the same time.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

A child could work out that a persistent zone which can have 2000 people in it at the same time but only manage 200 people on screen at the same time is going to be an utter disaster.

The 'final' assault on the city as you get to the middle will crash the game...

...every...

...single...

...time...

Cue frustrated players and mass flaming on forums.

Amazing really - I can work this stuff out on the back of a post-it note whilst sipping coffee and thinking about other things.

One wonders what the game company people do all day...

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

The feature list sounds like GuildWars 2.

-Mega Server, GW2 has the same

-PvP zone, it might be big but it is still a zone and will probably offer mindless circle raiding and trading of holdings like GW2 does

-probably also gear dropped out of dungeons rather than a deep crafting system

And so on, GW2 retextured. Which is not bad GW2 was a good themepark but i hoped for more in a Elder Scrolls Game. Like player owned cities and players shaping the world. Abit more sandbox, like an ArchAge with Action Combat and the ElderScrolls feel.

Shame the asians are the ones who move back to the true nature of MMORPG's which actually represent a world rather than different mini-games you can play.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

looks like it

You were on the wrong server then, Mordred was open world, FFA PVP every where except for the 3 main cities. (players up to level 9 were protected from attack as I recall.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ex mordred myself.
    They really should go with the 3 different rulesets like daoc. I keep hearing people,say things like "darkfall is more elder scrolls". But darkfall is very simmilar to mordred with player looting.

Also the coop ruleset would let fluffy pure pve types play with whoever and play wherever they want.
    Caliburn
    Why would it crash? Planetside 2 has simmilar player numbers per continent and doesn't crash. Daoc & planetside 1 managed perfectly well too.

Nilb:
    Gw2 does not have a megaserver, you are thinking eve or maybe tsw
    Pvp zone - its the whole of oblivion, there's various towns and villages from that game in there, along with ayelid dungeons, vampire lairs, bandit caves, goblin forts etc. They are going for a big pvp area with pve in it, outside in the world like daoc, not some little areas you teleport too like gw2.
    Wintergrasp = pretend open world, but really a big battleground due to being a timed match.
  • Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67

I get IT!!! the new meaning of Open World some devs would like to force on us is that it has NO ROOF!!

reinventing the meaning of words by devs/publishers is kind off unethicall marketing in my eyes, and we had wayyyy to much of it in the previous year,,,

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Kyleran

looks like it

You were on the wrong server then, Mordred was open world, FFA PVP every where except for the 3 main cities. (players up to level 9 were protected from attack as I recall.)

memory is foggy did they have FFA server at launch? i remember just joining up with my friends server and that one did not have FFA pvp

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by bcbully Originally posted by azzamasin Originally posted by bcbully "Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world..."   Marketing talk...
    God damnit BC, where the hell do you get off on this?  Why isn't it open?  Why do you think it's marketing talk?  FFS can't you jsut leave these forums, and go back to the Wushu forums?  Why must you consistently continue to churn out negativity for anything that doesnt feature FFA PvP.  FFS, your version of PvP is niche and hardly anyone likes it.  The vast majority of players are PvE anjd if they do like PvP it's consentual.  My heart tells me that a high percentage of ESO's playerbase will never participate in PvP.....me being one of them. 
    Whoa whoa. I'm a support here. I can't wait to check it out. I had to be like the 1st 10 people to sign up for the beta. The anologish sword swining, ability to wear any type of armor, 3 true factions. I want to play.   Let's be real here though, the Open world pvp he is speaking of is no different that WvW, Illum, Fusang. You can't have Open world pvp, but no pvp in these areas. I'm not gonna be sold that, again...   I don't have to swallow hook line and sinker in order to want to play.    
    It is open world, in that zone and only that zone.  Its open world with a caveat.  DAoC did it the exact same way as did some other games.

Just because there are restrictions doesn't mean its not open world.  I think you're confusing open world with Instanced as so many on these forums do. 

Theres 2 words to describe the type of Pvp: Persistence and instanced.  You can have open world in a persistanced zone, you can't have open world in an instance. 

it is instanced.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Well sort of instanced due to this megaserver thing. if they used conventional servers it wouldn't be instanced at all though.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well sort of instanced due to this megaserver thing. if they used conventional servers it wouldn't be instanced at all though.
    didn't we have this discussion just the other day?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Caliburn
    Why would it crash? Planetside 2 has simmilar player numbers per continent and doesn't crash. Daoc & planetside 1 managed perfectly well too.

Let me be as clear as possible then;

2000 people in a zone max.

200 people on your screen max.

When the 2000 people come together for the 'final push' in defence or attack to take the throne - FAR MORE than 200 will be crowding your screen...

... crash...

... or do you think 1800 of them will voluntarily leave the last phases of the battle to a select 200?...

... or that the zone will be split into 10 different areas which have objectives which all have to be taken simultaneously to win?...

... no?...

... me neither.

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by ShakyMo Caliburn Why would it crash? Planetside 2 has simmilar player numbers per continent and doesn't crash. Daoc & planetside 1 managed perfectly well too.  

When the 2000 people come together for the 'final push' in defence or attack to take the throne - FAR MORE than 200 will be crowding your screen...

... crash...

... or do you think 1800 of them will voluntarily leave the last phases of the battle to a select 200?...

... or that the zone will be split into 10 different areas which have objectives which all have to be taken simultaneously to win?...

... no?...

... me neither.

I'd imagine the developers have thought of this - would be pretty naff to make something that just crashes. I think it just means they'll do the culling that GW2 does with tons of invisible people - not that this is so brilliant, either.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Insane666

I get IT!!! the new meaning of Open World some devs would like to force on us is that it has NO ROOF!!

I agree.  The term I'm familiar with for this is called overland, meaning someplace not enclosed in an interior.

What I understand as "open world PVP" is PVP that can and does happen anywhere, or at least almost anywhere.  Clearest example being a PVP realm on WoW.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    It will cull like daoc and planetside, based upon distance from you, power of your pc and range of their attacks.

Culling is ok done right, gw2 doesn't do it right though, theres something wrong with their algorithm it seems almost random.
  • KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    I just hope they do the PvP areas like DAoC and Warhammer did it. Honestly, those 2 games had some of the best PvP systems in place of any MMO I've played, although they had their hiccups especially at launch. RvR zones are the way to go for a modern MMO and if they can honestly make it so thousands of players can be fighting in the same zone without the servers crashing or spike-lagging like mad, I'll be happy.
    War was alright during 1.2 and 1.3, but it didn't do it as good as daoc or planetside.
    At launch it had cc and engine problems, then the bright wizard love in, bit it became a decent enough game. Bioware ruined it with 1.4 though with its stupid wow style wtfpwn gear, rez in keeps and dress as a rat.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Caliburn

... crash...

... no?...

... me neither.

Your assuming there is just one big objective in the middle rather than lots spread out around the map

Its already been said you need to capture and hold multiple keeps etc in order to "win" so there wont be a centralised "push" as it were because if you have your whole team on one keep one of the factions will just break off and capture those you have left alone

Well not only that, but not everyone in the zone will be doing the rvr.

Some people will be up mountains and down caves mining ore and hunting for treasure, others will be lieing in wait to gank them.