Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open-world and supports up to 2000 players

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you and I have a very differn't idea what an instance is it seems..I'd call those 3 zones... for me an instance means you can have multiple copies on the same server IE dungeons, pvp maps.. i wouldn't call a zone an instance just because its not seamless... if the zones has phasing though thats another story imho.. technically i guess overflows would be considered instances of zones though.

Actually, no...he is correct.

There will be COPIES of those zones. They have placed a 2000 person cap, yet stated that the limit to the amount of people that can be on your screen is about 1/10th that number....so they MUST be making mulitple copies of the zones otherwise that would mean there could be 2000 people fighitng near each other but you will only see a small amount of them.

and I dont know what would be a bigger fail, instances in a TES game or a game that allows 2000 people but will only show you a small amount of them allowing culling on a massive scale.

i was talking GW2 WvW sorry :) I wasn't sure on TES pvp map but yea if it makes a copy when it reaches a cap i'd call it an instance

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Fearum
    sounds much like WvW in GW2.. WvW is not instanced in GW2 not sure why people say this but it also is NOT part of the PVE world.. it's basically it's own little world... i can see why this won't sit right with a lot of people though...  i have mixed feelings as i still would like a game to present seige battles in the actual game world you normally level and quest in.. although i know this is not an easy feat by any means... although it worked ok(sometimes) in lineage 2.. the castle battles weren't there own zones were they?(lol been so long i forgot)

It is instanced, it has 3 different borderlands instances and one central one.

you and I have a very differn't idea what an instance is it seems..I'd call those 3 zones... for me an instance means you can have multiple copies on the same server IE dungeons, pvp maps.. i wouldn't call a zone an instance just because its not seamless... if the zones has phasing though thats another story imho.. technically i guess overflows would be considered instances of zones though.

Why can't they be called instances? They arent really a zone as the teams are always changing every couple weeks. Its a large instance PvP map.

you could but this is how i always defined instancing in video games

an instance is a special area, typically a dungeon, that generates a new copy of the location for each group, or for certain number of players, that enters the area.[1] Instancing, the general term for the use of this technique,[1] addresses several problems encountered by players in the shared spaces of virtual worlds. It is not widely known when instances were first used in this genre, however The Realm Online (1996) is sometimes credited as introducing the concept.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

There will be COPIES of those zones. They have placed a 2000 person cap, yet stated that the limit to the amount of people that can be on your screen is about 1/10th that number....so they MUST be making mulitple copies of the zones otherwise that would mean there could be 2000 people fighitng near each other but you will only see a small amount of them.

and I dont know what would be a bigger fail, instances in a TES game or a game that allows 2000 people but will only show you a small amount of them allowing culling on a massive scale.

You join a campaign that will put you in a certain phase of Cyrodiil each time so the enemies and friends will always be the same. You can spend alliance points to switch to another campaign though. So there will be as many campaigns all with the cap of 2000.

You don't just join Cryodiil and enter a random overflow, you are assigned or join a certain campaign.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

You join a campaign that will put you in a certain phase of Cyrodiil each time so the enemies and friends will always be the same. You can spend alliance points to switch to another campaign though. So there will be as many campaigns all with the cap of 2000.

You don't just join Cryodiil and enter a random overflow, you are assigned or join a certain campaign.

Yes, and that is called INSTANCING.

A campaign...they can call it a badonkadonk if they want, its still creating an instance of the zone for the players and is thus instancing.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

A campaign...they can call it a badonkadonk if they want, its still creating an instance of the zone for the players and is thus instancing.

i very much agree it does sound like a massive instanced pvp map..

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

Even though they claimed they're not using hero engine I have a little bird telling me they still are using it but heavily modified. so it will have 2000 people but some will be in instance 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 thats how it works for HE when area servers for a zone has to spin up another instance when they cap 200 players.

I won't argue this since people still think they are using a new engine made in-house which is not true. but it's a good engine now so don't panic or run to the bethesda forums freaking out. oh...and consider this just a rumor I can't validate it and I won't.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    The PvP is taking place in a zone. There are multiple zones in their world. You can only PvP in one of the zones. How is that open world at all? It sounds more like an open zone, but the world itself? Almost entirely closed off from players depending on race and faction. The whole world is shuttered, there's nothing open about it aside from a single zone in the middle.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    The PvP is taking place in a zone. There are multiple zones in their world. You can only PvP in one of the zones. How is that open world at all? It sounds more like an open zone, but the world itself? Almost entirely closed off from players depending on race and faction. The whole world is shuttered, there's nothing open about it aside from a single zone in the middle.

source? i thought only the starter areas were funneled.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

i very much agree it does sound like a massive instanced pvp map..

I could careless what you call it, it sounds awesome.

That's what I'm referring to. Factions and races are locked into their specific starting areas, geographically speaking, and Cyrodil. You cannot treverse between every zone with one character, you'll have to make one for each faction to do so. It may not fall into everyone's definition of shuttered, but it's certainly far from open.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    For those confused

Planetside 2 supports 6000 players per server, 2000 on each continent.

Now you will never see 2000 on screen as there are always several battles going on due to the size if the continents, and it does that dreaded word CULLING right.

But you youngsters are thinking how gw2 does it, which is seemingly at random. But you can make it distance + attack distance of enemy based, like daoc and both planetside and its a good technique.

That's what I'm referring to. Factions and races are locked into their specific starting areas, geographically speaking, and Cyrodil. You cannot treverse between every zone with one character, you'll have to make one for each faction to do so. It may not fall into everyone's definition of shuttered, but it's certainly far from open.

how does just the starting areas being locked equate in any shape or form to the "whole world".. what's the source that there is only a "single" shared zone in the middle.. only thing i read said the starter areas would be gated... in most MMOs starter areas are like a couple % of the entire world.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by ShakyMo For those confused Planetside 2 supports 6000 players per server, 2000 on each continent. Now you will never see 2000 on screen as there are always several battles going on due to the size if the continents, and it does that dreaded word CULLING right. But you youngsters are thinking how gw2 does it, which is seemingly at random. But you can make it distance + attack distance of enemy based, like daoc and both planetside and its a good technique.

Thank you, maybe your post will help those that aren't able to understand it better. They seem to think GW2s terrible way of doing it, is the way it is.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

how does just the starting areas being locked equate in any shape or form to the "whole world".. what's the source that there is only a "single" shared zone in the middle.. only thing i read said the starter areas would be gated... in most MMOs starter areas are like a couple % of the entire world.

The faction territories are locked. Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/pCmveOvYXzo

And a link from the official forums with the on-going debate:

http://www.elderscrollsforum.com/home/page/1/m/5472177/viewthread/5214822-exploring-faction-locked-territory-debate

There are about a billion other discussions and videos regarding the subject, and it's a pretty well known fact at this point that territories are only accessible to individuals from said factions, geographically speaking. That doesn't mean you can't roll a character from every faction to see it all.

http://www.elderscrollsforum.com/home/page/1/m/5472177/viewthread/5214822-exploring-faction-locked-territory-debate

There are about a billion other discussions and videos regarding the subject, and it's a pretty well known fact at this point that territories are only accessible to individuals from said factions, geographically speaking. That doesn't mean you can't roll a character from every faction to see it all.

interesting video in that thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X3GONzQXhRY thanks for the link yea i can see why a lot of people would not like this..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

so 3 separate pve areas and one big pvp area?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

looks like it

• Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18

open-world and supports up to 2000 players

HAHAHAHAHA omfg where have we heard such trash before lol.. there have been many mmo's that state oh were going to have huge battles blah blah. then they launch give some excuses and we end up with like 60 tops and struggling :D

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Such tears. Nom nom nom. MOAR TEARS about a game you barely know anything about.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

interesting video in that thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X3GONzQXhRY thanks for the link yea i can see why a lot of people would not like this..

No problem, thanks for the link also. The faction lock conversation starts around 13:00 minutes in, if anyone else was curiuos.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

looks like it

Which is exactly like Dark Age of Camelot.  I can understand if you do not like it but it isn't an issue for those of us who are looking for a spiritual successor to DAoC.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

looks like it

Which is exactly like Dark Age of Camelot.  I can understand if you do not like it but it isn't an issue for those of us who are looking for a spiritual successor to DAoC.

actually one of the main things i didn't like in DAOC:)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Aye, we've been waiting for a long time now.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

So pretty much a DAOC style Elder Scrolls game...but ill be damn between this and ArcheAge. I dont think  I will see the sun again! lol

Take my money now!

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Baikal

Here is my issue with it...

Single Server Technology, and a 2,000 person limit in a PvP area.

My guess is that means there will end up being queues to enter that area, and depending on how long they are, I'm not sure that's a great idea. I realize this isnt an immediate "10 million people playing" title, but say they see 500k copies, and in the evening you have 100k people playing at the same time. That's only 2% of the population who can be doing RvR?

The number 2,000 sounds pretty big, and pretty good until I remember that we're all on a single server, and then that number of concurrent players doesnt sound as big.

Dont get me wrong, not against it...just want to hear some more about how they plan to work things.

It would be epic fail even worse than GW 2's WvW if they really only allowed 2K out of 500K people to RvR at any time. I'm thinking they are going to have multiple instances of the RvR zone. So in the 500K people example, there might theoretically be 250 RvR instances. It's hard to see how that will work to create any kind of coherent realm war though. In some instances a keep will belong to one faction while in others it would belong to a different one. I guess all that really matters is if it performs well and is fun to play though.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer