Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open-world and supports up to 2000 players

Comments

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Ghostshadows

PvP siege battle which looks like hundreds or even thousands of soldiers facing off against each other. Is a battle of this magnitude actually possible in the game, made up of human players?

Every one of the figures in that video was a human player. We got all of our devs into the game for a PvP test, and then captured that sequence with them. It was all in-game. Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world and supports up to 2000 players in it at the same time. ESO’s client is designed to be able to handle (on the recommended spec) 200 players on screen at the same time. That particular scene had about 115 players on each side.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Elder-Scrolls-Online-interview---Matt-Firor/tabid/418/articleID/284162/Default.aspx#ixzz2IvayIfpT

WEWT!

Wait....what?

Color me confused, how can it support 2k players, yet a person can only see 200 at one time.

if it support 200 on screen, and are 3 factions, then itll be 60-70 person per side?

Where does the other 1800 players...play?

It's a huge map, you're not likely to see all 2000 at once at any time. If that should happen, I'm guessing anything over 200 turns invisible based on distance from you (pop-in).

Couldn't be simpler.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Open world means that the worlds open ala UO, DFO, Skyrim, etc. 

A zone can not be an open world, in the end its simply a very large zone. 

The presence of zones negates the possibility of an open world. 

It's not a bad thing so don't take it as such, but he is right. It's simply marketing spin using the current buzz words. 

I'm curious to see how this is setup.  Mega-server implies sharding.  2,000 capacity per region sounds like zoning.  Sharding + zoning to me sounds like AOC.

I think "open world" in context means overland.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

No, I will not let them redefine what "OPEN WORLD" means.

Open world means that the entire PLANET has NO LOADING ZONES. OPEN WORLD PVP means you can PvP EVERYWHERE.

And no, I will not be lied to, they STATED that factions will be seperated and that levels 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the end game.

Factions with their own zones + levels = zones and PvE progression, meaning the game will be on RAILS. Starting zones for 1-15ish, leading to the next zone for 15-25ish and so on. Dont say it wont be, because they have said NOTHING about content scaling. No content scaling means there MUST BE AREAS FOR SET LEVELS...The game is TES in name only.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I don't think people realize how big Cyrodil actually is...go find a map, it's huge :)

It's technically not open world, but it's like DAoC where you have such a huge open area, it might as well be open world.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Karteli

To get to any meaningful PVP, doesn't everyone need to suffer through all the funneled themepark PVE content first, then get to endgame and do PVP "in the middle", since every faction is segregated?

Where is this funneled PvE content you speak of?  If Funnled PvE content equals freedom to explore anywhere and go where ever you want is funneled....then yes PvE is funneled.

Don't mind that guy he has been in every TESO thread ripping the game left right and center.  His claims are false.  Us that have actually follow the game know better.

That's a big claim on your part.  Both about my posts and about the games qualities, which were already identified as a level based themepark, with segregated factions, and PVP at the goalline to unite the factions together in battle.

It doesn't seem like a very open game to me.  But I'm sure you know everything there is to know about TESO since "us" that have actually followed the game know better.

If PVP happens at lv 10, cool.  Is it instanced then?  Because the current design won't allow open PVP in segregated territories.  Feel free to rip apart everyone who simply asks questions though, if that helps.

Why doesn;t seem like its "open" to you?  Where did you find this information that you go from quest hub to quest hub when all reports from play testers and interview from the developers have said things like:  See soemthign off in the distance and you can go to it and most likely find a Point of Interest and likely a quest.  Sounds exactly like the Skyrim experience to me.  At no point in any information we've recieved has there been any indication we are led down a linear path so again who's the one obfuscating the truth?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by bcbully

"Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world..."

Marketing talk...

God damnit BC, where the hell do you get off on this?  Why isn't it open?  Why do you think it's marketing talk?  FFS can't you jsut leave these forums, and go back to the Wushu forums?  Why must you consistently continue to churn out negativity for anything that doesnt feature FFA PvP.  FFS, your version of PvP is niche and hardly anyone likes it.  The vast majority of players are PvE anjd if they do like PvP it's consentual.  My heart tells me that a high percentage of ESO's playerbase will never participate in PvP.....me being one of them. 

Whoa whoa. I'm a support here. I can't wait to check it out. I had to be like the 1st 10 people to sign up for the beta. The anologish sword swining, ability to wear any type of armor, 3 true factions. I want to play.

Let's be real here though, the Open world pvp he is speaking of is no different that WvW, Illum, Fusang. You can't have Open world pvp, but no pvp in these areas. I'm not gonna be sold that, again...

I don't have to swallow hook line and sinker in order to want to play.

It is open world, in that zone and only that zone.  Its open world with a caveat.  DAoC did it the exact same way as did some other games.

Just because there are restrictions doesn't mean its not open world.  I think you're confusing open world with Instanced as so many on these forums do. 

Theres 2 words to describe the type of Pvp: Persistence and instanced.  You can have open world in a persistanced zone, you can't have open world in an instance. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. 

Disagree all you want but you're still wrong.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Open world means that the worlds open ala UO, DFO, Skyrim, etc. 

A zone can not be an open world, in the end its simply a very large zone. 

The presence of zones negates the possibility of an open world. 

It's not a bad thing so don't take it as such, but he is right. It's simply marketing spin using the current buzz words. 

I'm curious to see how this is setup.  Mega-server implies sharding.  2,000 capacity per region sounds like zoning.  Sharding + zoning to me sounds like AOC.

I think "open world" in context means overland.

The problem is to do the mega server they broke the game up into zones and they have did sharding or zone instancing rather. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6846/Megaservers-vs-The-Elder-Scrolls.html

You see, in The Elder Scrolls Online, players will be given the option of setting their own play preferences. Players will be asked what sort of age groups they want to play with or what playstyle preferences they have (ex. PvP, raiding, etc.) and the game will intelligently match up players of like interests when sorting out the populations of zone instances. Instead of just shuffling players into different zone copies by simple load metrics, The Elder Scrolls Online will give players the option of tailoring the community they share the world with to their own individual preferences. The game will even remember players you’ve interacted with and place you in zone instances with them if they’re online. Neat!

I honestly couldn't tell you how they are using the term "open world" here. With both zones and instances it simply doesn't fit. Like I said earlier I think they are trying to use "Open World" to describe that specific zone as large and open ala GW2's WvW and other large pvp siege maps that exist in other games. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Marketing talk...

God damnit BC, where the hell do you get off on this?  Why isn't it open?  Why do you think it's marketing talk?  FFS can't you jsut leave these forums, and go back to the Wushu forums?  Why must you consistently continue to churn out negativity for anything that doesnt feature FFA PvP.  FFS, your version of PvP is niche and hardly anyone likes it.  The vast majority of players are PvE anjd if they do like PvP it's consentual.  My heart tells me that a high percentage of ESO's playerbase will never participate in PvP.....me being one of them. 

Whoa whoa. I'm a support here. I can't wait to check it out. I had to be like the 1st 10 people to sign up for the beta. The anologish sword swining, ability to wear any type of armor, 3 true factions. I want to play.

Let's be real here though, the Open world pvp he is speaking of is no different that WvW, Illum, Fusang. You can't have Open world pvp, but no pvp in these areas. I'm not gonna be sold that, again...

I gotta say that I agree, I am of the same frame of mind here.  I am excited for TESO, even though it doesnt have true OWPvP.

However, when someone claims to have a pvp map that will support 2000 players....i get a little skeptical as well.

Ohhh, BC please dont ever put WvW and Illum in the same sentence again please. It's just not right.   Just bringing up Illum makes me bitter.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6846/Megaservers-vs-The-Elder-Scrolls.html

You see, in The Elder Scrolls Online, players will be given the option of setting their own play preferences. Players will be asked what sort of age groups they want to play with or what playstyle preferences they have (ex. PvP, raiding, etc.) and the game will intelligently match up players of like interests when sorting out the populations of zone instances. Instead of just shuffling players into different zone copies by simple load metrics, The Elder Scrolls Online will give players the option of tailoring the community they share the world with to their own individual preferences. The game will even remember players you’ve interacted with and place you in zone instances with them if they’re online. Neat!

I'm a bit excited about the options settings for your play preferences. I hope it works out well. It's not full proof, but it'd be nice to play with likeminded people and not have to put up with so many kids. Ever since they put that info out, it got me interested in the game, as well as the hope that the RvR will be much like DAOC Pre-ToA's.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Tayah

I'm a bit excited about the options settings for your play preferences. I hope it works out well. It's not full proof, but it'd be nice to play with likeminded people and not have to put up with so many kids.

Yeah, I actually like the idea behind it if nothing else. If it works out well it has potential to become a new standard with instancing. I'm not a fan of instancing and zoning as I'd rather have the open world but... I can't say I would mind to much if it worked like this. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Maephisto

Marketing talk...

I gotta say that I agree, I am of the same frame of mind here.  I am excited for TESO, even though it doesnt have true OWPvP.

However, when someone claims to have a pvp map that will support 2000 players....i get a little skeptical as well.

Ohhh, BC please dont ever put WvW and Illum in the same sentence again please. It's just not right.   Just bringing up Illum makes me bitter.

Your right. Ilum. does not belong in a sentence with anything. I truly apologize image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Yeah, I actually like the idea behind it if nothing else. If it works out well it has potential to become a new standard with instancing. I'm not a fan of instancing and zoning as I'd rather have the open world but... I can't say I would mind to much if it worked like this. 

I'm not a big fan of zoning and instancing either. I prefer the dungeons to be open like they were in DAOC, except Darkness falls, it was a huge instanced dungeon that could only be accessed by controlling relics.

I didn't mind DAOC having their pve area separate, because there were still hunting grounds in the PvP area. They gave you incentive to go out into the RvR area and brave it for the extra xp, coin, and adventure of not knowing when someone may come upon you from the other alliances and try and slay you and your group. Having a huge pvp area is good if they do it right like they did with DAOC.

Done poorly, and what you get is like GW2 is, ugh was that disappointing........

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I think some of you guys are confusing instanced world and zoned vs. open world etc. Could we say that WoW does not have open world PvP because continents are separated with loading screens? What if Cyrodiil is as big as WoW continent. Would it be open world PvP then or not?

Anyway, I'm not a fan of massive zergs and won't be participating, just sayin.

Originally posted by coretex666

Marketing talk...

It is open world, in that zone and only that zone.  Its open world with a caveat.  DAoC did it the exact same way as did some other games.

Just because there are restrictions doesn't mean its not open world.  I think you're confusing open world with Instanced as so many on these forums do. 

Theres 2 words to describe the type of Pvp: Persistence and instanced.  You can have open world in a persistanced zone, you can't have open world in an instance. 

Read that red sentence loud and repeat it several times.

It is not an open world pvp if it is in a separate zone.

It's still open world.  Just because you cant do it in "ANY" zone doesn't make it any less open.

Use WoW as an example:

• Wintergrasp = open world
    • Arathi Basin = Instanced BG

Originally posted by Tayah

I'm not a big fan of zoning and instancing either. I prefer the dungeons to be open like they were in DAOC, except Darkness falls, it was a huge instanced dungeon that could only be accessed by controlling relics.

I didn't mind DAOC having their pve area separate, because there were still hunting grounds in the PvP area. They gave you incentive to go out into the RvR area and brave it for the extra xp, coin, and adventure of not knowing when someone may come upon you from the other alliances and try and slay you and your group. Having a huge pvp area is good if they do it right like they did with DAOC.

Done poorly, and what you get is like GW2 is, ugh was that disappointing........

Good thing is Elder Scolls Online is reintroducing the Public Dungeons which are non-instanced.  Yet another feature that proves its not just another clone. 

Personally myself I am not interested in the PvP so I dunno why I debate its merits so much here lately LOL.  I am only interested in the progression of my character and the aforementioned open world exploration and dungeons.  In fact to be honest, I am more interested in Neverwinter becasue of the possibilities of the foundry system, however I am looking forward to recreating my Skyrim experiences in a persistant open world setting.  Hopefully Paul Sage's comments of the level cap only being a 3rd of the way through your cahracters progression remains true.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    You guys are making my brain cry with all your changing definitions. last week Open World= No zones, no 'portals' to go to next land. This week Open World means a zone with...an open world.... *scratches head*

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Toxia
    You guys are making my brain cry with all your changing definitions. last week Open World= No zones, no 'portals' to go to next land. This week Open World means a zone with...an open world.... *scratches head*

Its a sign of a fanboy.

The company says its "this" so its "this" even if it isnt and I will attack anyone that disagrees!

One of us

One of us

One of us

One of us

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    So if a game has safe zones its not Open world PvP. Darkfall UW is not Open world PvP in your definition, since you can't PvP in safe zones and cities. look at the faction owned territory as a safe zone, you have open world PvP within Cyrodiil.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    sounds much like WvW in GW2.. WvW is not instanced in GW2 not sure why people say this but it also is NOT part of the PVE world.. it's basically it's own little world... i can see why this won't sit right with a lot of people though...  i have mixed feelings as i still would like a game to present seige battles in the actual game world you normally level and quest in.. although i know this is not an easy feat by any means... although it worked ok(sometimes) in lineage 2.. the castle battles weren't there own zones were they?(lol been so long i forgot)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    sounds much like WvW in GW2.. WvW is not instanced in GW2 not sure why people say this but it also is NOT part of the PVE world.. it's basically it's own little world... i can see why this won't sit right with a lot of people though...  i have mixed feelings as i still would like a game to present seige battles in the actual game world you normally level and quest in.. although i know this is not an easy feat by any means... although it worked ok(sometimes) in lineage 2.. the castle battles weren't there own zones were they?(lol been so long i forgot)

It is instanced, it has 3 different borderlands instances and one central one.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Fearum

you and I have a very differn't idea what an instance is it seems..I'd call those 3 zones... for me an instance means you can have multiple copies on the same server IE dungeons, pvp maps.. i wouldn't call a zone an instance just because its not seamless... if the zones has phasing though thats another story imho.. technically i guess overflows would be considered instances of zones though.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Here is my issue with it...

Single Server Technology, and a 2,000 person limit in a PvP area.

My guess is that means there will end up being queues to enter that area, and depending on how long they are, I'm not sure that's a great idea. I realize this isnt an immediate "10 million people playing" title, but say they see 500k copies, and in the evening you have 100k people playing at the same time. That's only 2% of the population who can be doing RvR?

The number 2,000 sounds pretty big, and pretty good until I remember that we're all on a single server, and then that number of concurrent players doesnt sound as big.

Dont get me wrong, not against it...just want to hear some more about how they plan to work things.

sounds much like WvW in GW2.. WvW is not instanced in GW2 not sure why people say this but it also is NOT part of the PVE world.. it's basically it's own little world...

So what you are saying is, it is not an instance, but it is in no way connected to the main world and can only be reached by zoning into it...and on top of it, you are using a game as an example where the company itself says its WvW, is instanced...

Alrighty then.

How about we just say we like the game the way it is and stop trying to redefine things in blind defence of it.

Originally posted by Fearum

you and I have a very differn't idea what an instance is it seems..I'd call those 3 zones... for me an instance means you can have multiple copies on the same server IE dungeons, pvp maps.. i wouldn't call a zone an instance just because its not seamless... if the zones has phasing though thats another story imho.. technically i guess overflows would be considered instances of zones though.

Why can't they be called instances? They arent really a zone as the teams are always changing every couple weeks. Its a large instance PvP map.

Actually, no...he is correct.

There will be COPIES of those zones. They have placed a 2000 person cap, yet stated that the limit to the amount of people that can be on your screen is about 1/10th that number....so they MUST be making mulitple copies of the zones otherwise that would mean there could be 2000 people fighitng near each other but you will only see a small amount of them.

and I dont know what would be a bigger fail, instances in a TES game or a game that allows 2000 people but will only show you a small amount of them allowing culling on a massive scale.