Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open-world and supports up to 2000 players

GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

PvP siege battle which looks like hundreds or even thousands of soldiers facing off against each other. Is a battle of this magnitude actually possible in the game, made up of human players?

Every one of the figures in that video was a human player. We got all of our devs into the game for a PvP test, and then captured that sequence with them. It was all in-game. Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world and supports up to 2000 players in it at the same time. ESO’s client is designed to be able to handle (on the recommended spec) 200 players on screen at the same time. That particular scene had about 115 players on each side.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Elder-Scrolls-Online-interview---Matt-Firor/tabid/418/articleID/284162/Default.aspx#ixzz2IvayIfpT

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

To get to any meaningful PVP, doesn't everyone need to suffer through all the funneled themepark PVE content first, then get to endgame and do PVP "in the middle", since every faction is segregated?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Karteli

To get to any meaningful PVP, doesn't everyone need to suffer through all the funneled themepark PVE content first, then get to endgame and do PVP "in the middle", since every faction is segregated?

They have stated you can start pvp at lvl 10 and be perfectly fine.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Heard it before...AOC says hello...I will believe it when I see it.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Ghostshadows

PvP siege battle which looks like hundreds or even thousands of soldiers facing off against each other. Is a battle of this magnitude actually possible in the game, made up of human players?

Every one of the figures in that video was a human player. We got all of our devs into the game for a PvP test, and then captured that sequence with them. It was all in-game. Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world and supports up to 2000 players in it at the same time. ESO’s client is designed to be able to handle (on the recommended spec) 200 players on screen at the same time. That particular scene had about 115 players on each side.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Elder-Scrolls-Online-interview---Matt-Firor/tabid/418/articleID/284162/Default.aspx#ixzz2IvayIfpT

Sounds good, ty for the link, hadn't seen it yet. That's been one of my concerns, I was hoping they didn't go the way GW2 did and make it so that only a few hundred people could enjoy huge pvp battles. Glad they won't be going that way. GW2 pvp is a joke.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"Cyrodiil (the PvP map) is open-world..."

Marketing talk...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

Marketing talk...

Cyrodiildo our new instanced pvp map is open world!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Ghostshadows

WEWT!

Wait....what?

Color me confused, how can it support 2k players, yet a person can only see 200 at one time.

if it support 200 on screen, and are 3 factions, then itll be 60-70 person per side?

Where does the other 1800 players...play?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Where is this funneled PvE content you speak of?  If Funnled PvE content equals freedom to explore anywhere and go where ever you want is funneled....then yes PvE is funneled.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Marketing talk...

God damnit BC, where the hell do you get off on this?  Why isn't it open?  Why do you think it's marketing talk?  FFS can't you jsut leave these forums, and go back to the Wushu forums?  Why must you consistently continue to churn out negativity for anything that doesnt feature FFA PvP.  FFS, your version of PvP is niche and hardly anyone likes it.  The vast majority of players are PvE anjd if they do like PvP it's consentual.  My heart tells me that a high percentage of ESO's playerbase will never participate in PvP.....me being one of them. 

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Marketing talk...

I agree with BC, it actually sounds like its going to be a GW2-esque type of system. ESO's version of WvWvW. 

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by nukempro

DAoC did it, no reason it couldn't be done today.

Originally posted by azzamasin

Marketing talk...

God damnit BC, where the hell do you get off on this?  Why isn't it open?  Why do you think it's marketing talk?  FFS can't you jsut leave these forums, and go back to the Wushu forums?  Why must you consistently continue to churn out negativity for anything that doesnt feature FFA PvP.  FFS, your version of PvP is niche and hardly anyone likes it.  The vast majority of players are PvE anjd if they do like PvP it's consentual.  My heart tells me that a high percentage of ESO's playerbase will never participate in PvP.....me being one of them. 

It's a pvp map lols. if it was open...it'd all be one map?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Marketing talk...

How could you not want to be in a massive battle with that many people.

I don't even think AoW has 2000 people playing it lol.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Marketing talk...

I agree with BC, it actually sounds like its going to be a GW2-esque type of system. ESO's version of WvWvW. 

You can't even have 60 people on the screen in GW2, well I guess you could but you would  never see them.

Originally posted by Sideras

I hope it's very much like DAOC RvR areas were. If they do just that, I'll be happy. If it's like GW2, then I'll pass.

Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Sideras

I hope it's very much like DAOC RvR areas were. If they do just that, I'll be happy. If it's like GW2, then I'll pass.

Wasn't gw2 wvw made to mimic DaoC? What's different about them? Never got to play DaoC, enlighten me.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Marketing talk...

Whoa whoa. I'm a support here. I can't wait to check it out. I had to be like the 1st 10 people to sign up for the beta. The anologish sword swining, ability to wear any type of armor, 3 true factions. I want to play.

Let's be real here though, the Open world pvp he is speaking of is no different that WvW, Illum, Fusang. You can't have Open world pvp, but no pvp in these areas. I'm not gonna be sold that, again...

I don't have to swallow hook line and sinker in order to want to play.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Where is this funneled PvE content you speak of?  If Funnled PvE content equals freedom to explore anywhere and go where ever you want is funneled....then yes PvE is funneled.

Don't mind that guy he has been in every TESO thread ripping the game left right and center.  His claims are false.  Us that have actually follow the game know better.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Im not saying I don't want to see their version of "open world" pvp. I'm just saying I have heard developers claim this and that about how great the pvp is thier games...I have learned to simply ignore that crap till I see it first hand. Im not a big Elder scrolls person, but I will most likely try this game...if the game is fun to play ill play it. If there can only be 20 ppl pvping at once thats fine with me...as long as its fun...but don't make claims you can't backup.

Marketing talk...

Whoa whoa. I'm a support here. I can't wait to check it out. I had to be like the 1st 10 people to sign up for the beta. The anologish sword swining, ability to wear any type of armor, 3 true factions. I want to play.

Let's be real here though, the Open world pvp he is speaking of is no different that WvW, Illum, Fusang. You can't have Open world pvp, but no pvp in these areas. I'm not gonna be sold that, again...

It is open world, in that zone and only that zone.  Its open world with a caveat.  DAoC did it the exact same way as did some other games.

Just because there are restrictions doesn't mean its not open world.  I think you're confusing open world with Instanced as so many on these forums do. 

Theres 2 words to describe the type of Pvp: Persistence and instanced.  You can have open world in a persistanced zone, you can't have open world in an instance. 

Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Tayah

Wasn't gw2 wvw made to mimic DaoC? What's different about them? Never got to play DaoC, enlighten me.

GW2 did a S*&^ job of mimicking DAOC's RvR. GW2 is instanced and limits you to too few people. In DAOC Pre-ToA we had massive keep battles between all 3 sides. There were no limits of how many people could be in the RvR area. GW2 also you all you see is server tag of the other team you're fighting. With DAOC you got a message each time a person killed another, using their names. You'd see Briton, Norse, Avalonian, etc as your enemies above their heads, but once they were killed or you were killed you saw a message of the real character names. It was awesome.

The RvR areas were the best coin loot in the game you could get from mobs so we'd go out there to pve at the risk of being ganked. If you saw a message, lets say, "Kevo has just killed Shimmer", you immediately started looking out because there was danger about and you could be ganked at any moment, so you'd be prepared to slay that person if they came your way.

It was great rivalry between all 3 factions, and in those days when someone ganked you, instead of humping you they'd actually bow to you, to let you know, you fought well, and were a worthy opponent. People were more respectful in those days.

Dark Age of Camelot

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Don't mind that guy he has been in every TESO thread ripping the game left right and center.  His claims are false.  Us that have actually follow the game know better.

That's a big claim on your part.  Both about my posts and about the games qualities, which were already identified as a level based themepark, with segregated factions, and PVP at the goalline to unite the factions together in battle.

It doesn't seem like a very open game to me.  But I'm sure you know everything there is to know about TESO since "us" that have actually followed the game know better.

If PVP happens at lv 10, cool.  Is it instanced then?  Because the current design won't allow open PVP in segregated territories.  Feel free to rip apart everyone who simply asks questions though, if that helps.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

So 1 server ( TESO is using mega-server tech) with 1 pvp map that supports 2000 players. I assume then there will be Cyrodiil #1 , Cyrodiil #2.... to handle the overload.  I might get this game if and when it goes f2p / b2p. Instancing to me equates f2p, I will pay for a sub when there is 1 verision of any location in the virtual world ( dungeons, warfronts, arenas i consider separate from the world ).

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Marketing talk...

It is open world, in that zone and only that zone.  Its open world with a caveat.  DAoC did it the exact same way as did some other games.

Just because there are restrictions doesn't mean its not open world.  I think you're confusing open world with Instanced as so many on these forums do. 

Theres 2 words to describe the type of Pvp: Persistence and instanced.  You can have open world in a persistanced zone, you can't have open world in an instance. 

Open world means that the worlds open ala UO, DFO, Skyrim, etc. 

A zone can not be an open world, in the end its simply a very large zone. 

The presence of zones negates the possibility of an open world. 

It's not a bad thing so don't take it as such, but he is right. It's simply marketing spin using the current buzz words. 

Marketing talk...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.