Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing again and having fun!

13»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by superniceguy

The other reason I am not giving SWTOR more of a chance, is because I am fed up of getting involved in MMOs and then they shut down, within 1 year (Dec 2011-Dec2012), I lost SWG, Everquest Online Adventures, Phantasy Star Uniiiverse, and City of Heroes.....

I'm sorry, but every MMO is going to shut down at some point. No matter how good you think the game is, other players eventually get tired of it and move on. Companies then have to decide whether or not it's worth the time and money to keep the game running.  In those above cases, the companies decided they were not. Every MMO will shut down at some point, it's only a question of when. 

Very True, but SWTOR is not exactly getting much positive reports lately to squash those fears.

SWG and COH both had content still being developed, and both shut down unexpectingly. Also LA and SOE said that SWG would be safe until SWTOR releases, as they saw a market for both MMOs, as were different enough. They could not say about the future of SWG after that, as they said they did not have a crystal ball and possibly expected SWG to suffer with the release of SWTOR. CoH even caused a stir, as it was apparently still profitable, and caused Nc Softs revenue to decline because of that poor decision - Korean times could not understand it.  If COH can shut down and was profitable and if SWTOR is not being profitable as they need $7.5 million per month to break even, then there is not much hope for SWTOR is there? Which is my main point there, if EA start releasing figures and proclaiming it is profitable like they were clearly stating sub numbers before then it will be more safe, but they have not been lately.

Even positive statements can not be truly believed, as what was said by LA about SWG which I said above did not hold true, and that is one thing but EA actually admiting that SWTORs performance is "not good enough" is something else.

SWG and COH had positive performance repots  but still got chopped early, so does that mean that with EA giving negative performance reports that SWTOR will last for years?

Even STO could be shut down half way through this year, and SWTOR lives for 10 years (if that is the length of the licence), but with STO getting more devs and Season 8 and 9 planned for the rest of the year, with Season 6 and Season 7 plus other events and updates added and in game since about June 2012 when Makeb was mentioned for SWTOR,  it is progressing faster than SWTOR is right now, so from the looks of things STO will outlive SWTOR, but looks are always deceiving.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by superniceguY

Very True, but SWTOR is not exactly getting much positive reports lately to squash those fears.

SWG and COH both had content still being developed, and both shut down unexpectingly. 

TOR has the PVP event on Ilum and the Makeb expansion both coming in the next few months. Most developers are always going to try and keep more content coming in, that's never an indication of anything. Honestly, after the SWG 2005 experience, I just play these MMOs under the assumption that they are just games that could be revamped or shut down at any time.  But if you are looking for warning signs, a game that goes from sub base to FTP is usually a good indication that the game could be on the way out. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SWG and COH both had content still being developed, and both shut down unexpectingly. 

TOR has the PVP event on Ilum and the Makeb expansion both coming in the next few months. Most developers are always going to try and keep more content coming in, that's never an indication of anything. Honestly, after the SWG 2005 experience, I just play these MMOs under the assumption that they are just games that could be revamped or shut down at any time.  But if you are looking for warning signs, a game that goes from sub base to FTP is usually a good indication that the game could be on the way out. 

Yep.  it went from sub base to FTP too - Too many warning signs

Like I said Makeb was announced in June 2012. Since June 2012, STO has had Season 6 and Season 7, with Season 8 coming about the time of Makeb, plus it has had other updates and events too.

We will know within the week or so if it is being profitable. The good news will get plastered all over these forums. It was 1st Feb 2012 when they announced 1.7 million subs

Ilum should have been in at the start

EA/BW have stated in June 2012  that Makeb is coming whether game is a failure or a success, as was already planned "much earlier".

Ohlen mentioned that while dwindling populations was definitely a concern and top priority for them, it doesn’t change how they plan content and design the game for future updates. I asked him if the recent announcement of subscription levels dropping from the 1.7 million they were back in March to 1.3 million at the end of May affected any design changes in the future.

“Not really, all of our plans this year we already had locked in. Well not locked in, but we did most of our strategy early on in the year because content takes a long time to produce. So, Makeb was something we planned much earlier and we had to go through all the writing and then voice work. So, we’re still a very successful MMO, we have a million plus subscribers. That’s more than anybody else out there except for one, so we’re doing well, and we want to continue to support all those fans.”

So the fact it is coming and Spring / June = not good. Had it all been in already with more stuff coming = good

Makeb and Ilum is like Atmospheric Flight for SWG.  Content already written but not yet put in. SWG was going to have Chronicles 2 which was not fully written or developed and just canned and servers were planned for merging in 2012, down to no less than four.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Yep.  it went from sub base to FTP too - Too many warning signs

Like I said Makeb was announced in June 2012. Since June 2012, STO has had Season 6 and Season 7, with Season 8 coming about the time of Makeb, plus it has had other updates and events too.

We will know within the week or so if it is being profitable. The good news will get plastered all over these forums. It was 1st Feb 2012 when they announced 1.7 million subs

Ilum should have been in at the start

EA/BW have stated in June 2012  that Makeb is coming whether game is a failure or a success, as was already planned "much earlier".

Ohlen mentioned that while dwindling populations was definitely a concern and top priority for them, it doesn’t change how they plan content and design the game for future updates. I asked him if the recent announcement of subscription levels dropping from the 1.7 million they were back in March to 1.3 million at the end of May affected any design changes in the future.

“Not really, all of our plans this year we already had locked in. Well not locked in, but we did most of our strategy early on in the year because content takes a long time to produce. So, Makeb was something we planned much earlier and we had to go through all the writing and then voice work. So, we’re still a very successful MMO, we have a million plus subscribers. That’s more than anybody else out there except for one, so we’re doing well, and we want to continue to support all those fans.”

So the fact it is coming and Spring / June = not good. Had it all been in already with more stuff coming = good

Makeb and Ilum is like Atmospheric Flight for SWG.  Content already written but not yet put in. SWG was going to have Chronicles 2 which was not fully written or developed and just canned and servers were planned for merging in 2012, down to no less than four.

yes makeb was planned even before launch,,that only makes sense if u know how long it takes to make content

and it also proves that the planet poll was a ruse,,why ask for requests, when content is already in the pipe?

same deal with species poll,,how many had even heard of cathar before?but perhaps they got inspired by

caitians from STO

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by simplius

same deal with species poll,,how many had even heard of cathar before?

How about everyone that ever played the original KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic)? image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I still don´t get how it is "fun" to level with an alt through exactly the same static planets in the same order.

Only to watch dialogue cutscenes which are available at Youtube?

And now they are so smart and raise the level cap, instead of creating at least 2-3 alternative 1-50 leveling planets.

Heck, every planet should have been 1-50, if they had smart game designers.

This game is an epic contradiction, the most alt encouraging game (legacy) with the least alt friendly game environment.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by funcon
    Originally posted by pioneer08 Originally posted by funcon OP is probably a Bioware dev trying to get people to play SWTOR.
    Oh the sad fate of posters like this.  SWTOR is healthy and a ton of fun right now.  I myself have been having a blast since coming back around f2p lauch.  The servers have been full on most night, everyone looking for groups and chatting away and its on every level of the game.  I recently got my bh up to 50 and the entire way every planet had multiple instance, people all over grouping up, just lots of fun and tons of excitement that some on these posters cant comprehend.    Last night 5 of us from my guild decided to pug some sm ops (thats a raid for those who dont play and waste time bashing a video game they dont play).  So we started in fleet trying to get some people after one request we had our full group for our 1st sm run, it was EV.  Cleared that some had to leave, so we put out a request for a couple more agian only had to ask once, went in and ran EC.  This group decided to stick together and we then ran EC HM.  It was an awesome time probably one of the better nights I have had in MMO and I have been playing MMOS for over 6 yrs.    Alot of the same posters said the game would die a month after f2p, well I can tell you they were dead wrong (not surprised).  With the next update around the corner and then the 1st expansion a few months away I would hope posters like this will start to give up on their failed attempts to bash a game they dont play. 
    I waited for SWTOR since 2008. I played the first few months then quit. Came back a few months later, then quit. Came back for f2p, then quit.  All you do is stay on the fleet all day queing for wz's. It isnt that fun. And to many loading screens for my taste. MMOs are supposed to be seamless huge worlds.

if you chose to just sit on the fleet and queue WZ's, i can see why you quit.

in my opinion this game isn't the game to just play one character, especially if you just like to pvp.

its also not the game to play "hardcore" 8 hours + per day.

but for a casual player its petty fun, especially if you like playing alts and seeing all the stories while enjoying all the different play styles.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by FromHell
    I still don´t get how it is "fun" to level with an alt through exactly the same static planets in the same order.Only to watch dialogue cutscenes which are available at Youtube?And now they are so smart and raise the level cap, instead of creating at least 2-3 alternative 1-50 leveling planets.Heck, every planet should have been 1-50, if they had smart game designers. This game is an epic contradiction, the most alt encouraging game (legacy) with the least alt friendly game environment.

you don't have to do all the world quests every time, there are other means to level up.

depending on what you like to do, you can get the perks and get more experience for doing it.

me personally, i get the WZ experience perks and do a lot of WZ's to level up.

its fun for me because the play styles (the characters i have at least) are all mostly different and i find that the 10-49 bracket is more fun than the level 50 bracket, especially if you don't like to do pre-mades.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by baphamet

you don't have to do all the world quests every time, there are other means to level up.

depending on what you like to do, you can get the perks and get more experience for doing it.

me personally, i get the WZ experience perks and do a lot of WZ's to level up.

its fun for me because the play styles (the characters i have at least) are all mostly different and i find that the 10-49 bracket is more fun than the level 50 bracket, especially if you don't like to do pre-mades.

Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of posters who don't know crap about the game posting their ignorance as  fact. There are MANY ways to level in this game. I have leveled  three characters to 50 and the only thing similiar to their leveling experience was the class story. Everything else was either planetary quests, side quests, flashpoints, heroics or warzones. My first character did every quest in the game and the other two didn't touch a single side quest. One didn't even bother with planetary quests, just did class quests and filled out the rest with warzones and flashpoints. 

A lot of games don't give you this many options to level. It's questing,questing and more questing. Yeah, some might give you more alternate quests to level, but you're still stuck questing. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft