Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Jake Song On Teaming with Trion

Comments

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Olgos

I only played Rift during beta, and about a week after release, wasn't too impressed with the game.

However, I was impressed by the execution, polish, and stability of the product during stress tests and upon release. 

Same here, RIFT is not my cup of tea, but TRION did a very good job during beta and launch. 

I hope, they don't overdo with westernization!

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Need to bookmark this thread next time someone says mmorpg communities are "always negative".

Good decisions+good games=positive vibe.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    God tutorials are the worst, I'll pass.
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I think this marks the first time in MMORPG.com history that the entire site agrees on something

Sorry to burst your bubble but it makes little sense to me.

Trion has just fired a load of long term devs for Rift and now there going to publish this limited appeal niche game?, (Whether I may like it or not is irrelevent, it's a game with limited appeal to most people because of it's mechanics).  Were those people fired for this?!

Rift must be doing worse then I thought because if they seriously cut people to fund publishing this then they are clueless

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Omnifish

I think this marks the first time in MMORPG.com history that the entire site agrees on something

Trion has just fired a load of long term devs for Rift and now there going to publish this limited appeal niche game?, (Whether I may like it or not is irrelevent, it's a game with limited appeal to most people because of it's mechanics).  Were those people fired for this?!

Rift must be doing worse then I thought because if they seriously cut people to fund publishing this then they are clueless

Dont you think they're prepared for the task at hand? They have more experience than you as they have to take such decisions daily, so your speculations makes absolutely no sense at all. Just because some get fired doesnt mean they have less chance of success, in some cases a company realizes they just have to many uneeded people

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    grind
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Well better than gpotatoe, funcom or PWE. XLGames had not much choice in first place.

Now lets hope its not going to crash and burn like Rift because of Trions poor perfomance and clueless handling. And hope they wont dare to touch this game and try to dumb it down into their next WoW clone, as in their "visions".

Yeah Rift crashed and burned so hard that Trion just released  a huge expansion and continues to release content patches on regular basis.

I think you need to revise what crash and burn means but then again what will be mmorpg.com without exaggeration and hyperbole? and since you are huge Aion fan you should know that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at others.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Omnifish

dont worry dude, MoP wont be affected by the AA release, the audience are not the same...

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22

Just reading this today and my morning coffee just got even better tasting!

Woo Hoo! News for the inquiring minds!

• GhostsanGhostsan Member UncommonPosts: 12
    This is excelent news! Trion has what it takes to do it. AA will exist in Europe. :)
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Ghostsan
    This is excelent news! Trion has what it takes to do it. AA will exist in Europe. :)

I didn't catch that part.  The Trion publishing includes Europe also?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by Ghostsan

I didn't catch that part.  The Trion publishing includes Europe also?

Yes it does.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive

I agree 100% and this is the one thing that really, and I mean REALLY turns me off about AA - at least based on hands on from others.

Hopefully we can skip it all starting at level 2 and not be ridiculously gimped.

Seriously? I dont get it. Everyone and his cat has enjoyed and applauded WoW and/or GW2. Guided Experience.

And, it is all good and nice.. it is just nothing to hold you very long. But for a introduction into a sandbox game it is a very wise move. I may even enjoyed GW2 or WoW if the got their game only up to level 30 and delivered from there a good sandbox experience.

In other words. ArcheAge Level 1 - 30 is like WoW or GW2. You will get your Quests, your story tidbits, your dungeons, well all the GW2 and WoW package. And some basic introduction into how some Sandbox Tools work. As much as i know you will be even pvp protected up to there.

Then the sandbox game starts slowly. The open pvp, the expansion force pvp, territory controll, farm building and so on.

And yes.. GW2 and WoW is just a tutorial.. and never was a lot more. They left out the game.

Edit: And yeap. Trion is most probably the best choice.. especially for europe. EU only publisher suck altogether.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Sandbox games can be very confusing to a new player. Dropping them into the deep end and telling them to learn to swim might work, but it's more effective to tutor them so they at least get a taste of the different activities before having to decide what they want to do.

Perfect solution, IMO.

• sumfoolsumfool Member UncommonPosts: 13
    hopefully they wont be charging full price again everytime an expansion is released ,like they do with rift , that would be so uncool .
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Great choice XL.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by sumfool
    hopefully they wont be charging full price again everytime an expansion is released ,like they do with rift , that would be so uncool .

I don't understand the attitude of  "X-pac should be cheap". Maybe after some months, but at launch date full price is acceptable. Esspecially when you look at the console market, that regularly charges $60 for 30-50 hours of game play.

For AA: I totaly think Trion is a great choice, should do well.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Excellent choice in Trion, I think.  Although I'm not currently playing Rift, I did play betas and early release and was extremely impressed by the polish and high quality of customer service.

I've had my eye on ArcheAge for some time now, and this is another reason to hold my interest.

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Trion is one of the few, if not the only, western mmo publishers that I trust and respect, I had not expected Archeage to be published by them. It gives me even more hope it's success. Can't wait.
  • nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    Originally posted by troublmaker

Not to rain in on people's parade but what makes Trion such an outstanding publisher?  They've published one game so far and it's had less than average success.

The other game they were publishing, End of Nations is no longer being developed... or has had severely delayed development.

That other game they're working on Defiance isn't out yet.

Crytek's Warface (which they're publishing) isn't out yet.

They don't really have an outstanding record as a publisher.

They really support their game and the community. From a gamer's perspective, what more could you ask for?

How have they really supported their game and community?  They pumped out content at a good pace for the first 18 months, then xpac, and now few months later?  Unless they can match their first 18 month pace then they were full of a lot of hot air and marketing bull.  So far they're not on pace.

The fact is they don't have an outsanding record as a publisher.  I can see being excited that EA isn't the publisher, but that's different than throwing accolades at Trion where they haven't earned them yet.

So you're saying that they've been slacking in the last six months in terms of updates to the game? They've patched the game over 50 times, and have made significant changes to the game 10 times. They're already gearing up for 2.2. This is all while developing and preparing for a major expansion.

What do you want from them? A reacharound and a sandwich after?

god I know right, some people are just sick and messed up in the head and cant stand when others are happy, 98% of the thead is all positive and then you have these 2 ..

I think you should do everyone a favor troublmaker, and Torvaldr and shut that hole in your face. do a lil reasrech and investiagate things before looking like morons.

If your not intrested in AA or Trion, then I sugest you move on..

On a lighter note, I am very happy Trion has picked up AA, could not ask for a better company :)

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive

And those are the guys who i dont party with, those who belive they know all. To be hardcore does not exclude you to enjoy the little things, and specially when learning your character.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Great news.

I love Archeage and I love Trion.

Best marriage ever!!!

I can't wait!!

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I am so excited about this news, there's hope for an awesome sandbox yet!

No bitchers.

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    My hope is they add a PvE server and also factions to the open world PvP. On faction servers I would like to see contested areas like in WoW. Please also areas where you have no need to worry about being attacked by players. 
  • CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Sandbox games can be very confusing to a new player. Dropping them into the deep end and telling them to learn to swim might work, but it's more effective to tutor them so they at least get a taste of the different activities before having to decide what they want to do.

Perfect solution, IMO.

How do you train someone used to theampark MMOs to play a Sandbox MMO without leading them so they feel fooled later when the guided game play poofs?