Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Jake Song On Teaming with Trion

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive

May seem excessive to some but remember there are plenty of people that will probably need it since the MMORPG genre went down hill since WoW there aren't that many bright players these days.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Best choise ever! Awesome game (from what I have heard) with an awesome company! Win/win! Makes me very happy! :)
  • NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

Trion is a great choice. 

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Kanyl
    Best choise ever! Awesome game (from what I have heard) with an awesome company! Win/win! Makes me very happy! :)

Yeah! I had the whole 'cautious optimism' thing going for this game until now. Now I'm going to let myself get excited. xD

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    As others have stated, blessed be, it's not NCsoft!

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• gundamwinggundamwing Member Posts: 49
    So glad it is not Ncsoft! XL Games made a great choice with Trion Worlds. There dev and CM teams are top notch. I am now excited more than ever to play Archeage.

Games playing: Lotro,Fallen Earth,Star Trek Online.
    Games playing casually: CoX,Guild Wars,FFXIV,Champions Online,DDO.
    Games Played: WoW,DR,L2,RoM,FFXI,Earthrise,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,Rift,Alganon,EVE,G&H Rome Rising.
    Waiting for: Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    PC Specs: Intel i7 990x 3.5ghz, 6gb ddr3 Ram,EVGA GTX 570 SC FTW,EVGA x58 Classified 4-way SLI MB, 2TB HDD 7200rpm, 60GB Intel SSD: OS Drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Westinghouse 21 in. 1680x1050.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Well dang, sure didn't expect that!

But I think it's a good choice as well.

Originally posted by troublmaker

Not to rain in on people's parade but what makes Trion such an outstanding publisher?  They've published one game so far and it's had less than average success.

The other game they were publishing, End of Nations is no longer being developed... or has had severely delayed development.

That other game they're working on Defiance isn't out yet.

Crytek's Warface (which they're publishing) isn't out yet.

They don't really have an outstanding record as a publisher.

In the Rift beta, you could see that the developers were listening to the feedback and the amount of fixes released with each patch to the game was incredible.

Also for Rift, Trion has put out metric shittons of new content over the past year, especially compared to other MMO's, that seem to go into long periods of nothing being added.

The least you can say is indeed that they have a vision of things, they dare to make decisions like removing the gear grind from PvP or developing new open forms of PvP. Making a game that syncs with a TV show and publishing something like End of Nations isn't exactly standard fare either.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Not to rain in on people's parade but what makes Trion such an outstanding publisher?  They've published one game so far and it's had less than average success.

The other game they were publishing, End of Nations is no longer being developed... or has had severely delayed development.

Just because they don't have a billion games doesn't mean they're not good. They have a very positive track record as a company and anyone who has personally dealt with them or at least took the time to research the company knows this. As an ex-Rift player I personally have never seen such a great development team anywhere else. The money they make is spent wisely and they are not greedy like most companies these days. They really do put their players first and don't hold back on anything.

In Rift's first year Trion generated more than $100 million dollars in revenue... Something that shouldn't be taken lightly for a new company. They also recieved several investment deals, one of which that was over $85 million... Obviously other companies see their potential.  

I challenge you to give us a much better choice for a publisher. What other companies have had success such as this? Would you really trust EA, Mythic, Blizzard? Anet is a sibsidiary of NCsoft and all they have is Guild Wars, would you see them as a success considering they've only released 2 games in the past 8 years... Since it seems you think more poducts = more success.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Only 10 abillities?
    "Abilities" isnt really the right word but thats what they call them.

Theres 10 skill trees and each skill tree represents a God and has a list of spells/abilities.

Heres a partial list:

http://archeagewiki.com/Ability

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Only 10 abillities?

"Abilities" isnt really the right word but thats what they call them.

Theres 10 skill trees and each skill tree represents a God and has a list of spells/abilities.

Heres a partial list:

http://archeagewiki.com/Ability

http://archeagescandinavia.se/skillcalc.html

The only significant downsides to ArcheAge are the 50v50/time limited sieges.  And some skill balance issues. 

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    Optional? There's 50 levels in the game it's not optional.

Wait! There are 50 levels in the game and the tutoral part takes up over half those levels? Hmmm..... they better be some great tutoral levels lol.

Now Trion bringing the game to the west... not a bad choice, but the direction they took Rift in recently is sad. They were a great team, but some have and are leaving the team so time will tell what they will become over there at Trion.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

They really support their game and the community. From a gamer's perspective, what more could you ask for?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Good decision with Trion.

Would be nice to see the game out ...in the west...this year.

30 levels to give you a sense of the game.Fine with me...but "grist for the mill" for those looking to worry and complain.

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Good decision with Trion.

Would be nice to see the game out ...in the west...this year.

30 levels to give you a sense of the game.Fine with me...but "grist for the mill" for those looking to worry and complain.

trion is planning on releasing aa later this year.

source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/24/trion-to-publish-xl-games-massive-online-game-archeage-in-western-markets-exclusive/#EHJ77rD3og1pMjDQ.99

you should find it right over the picture of the hariharan.

"Trion aims to launch the game later this year in North America, Europe, Turkey, Australia, and New Zealand."

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    That's good Trion isn't bad, I stil hope for no sub but I doubt that, if so it'll be [one of] the greatest MMOs I never played, should also add if it does have a sub I won't bash the quality of the game itself, I'm sure Sandbox/park fans are happy as they should be I think. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ezpz77

They really support their game and the community. From a gamer's perspective, what more could you ask for?

How have they really supported their game and community?  They pumped out content at a good pace for the first 18 months, then xpac, and now few months later?  Unless they can match their first 18 month pace then they were full of a lot of hot air and marketing bull.  So far they're not on pace.

The fact is they don't have an outsanding record as a publisher.  I can see being excited that EA isn't the publisher, but that's different than throwing accolades at Trion where they haven't earned them yet.

So you're saying that they've been slacking in the last six months in terms of updates to the game? They've patched the game over 50 times, and have made significant changes to the game 10 times. They're already gearing up for 2.2. This is all while developing and preparing for a major expansion.

What do you want from them? A reacharound and a sandwich after?

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

How have they really supported their game and community?  They pumped out content at a good pace for the first 18 months, then xpac, and now few months later?  Unless they can match their first 18 month pace then they were full of a lot of hot air and marketing bull.  So far they're not on pace.

The fact is they don't have an outsanding record as a publisher.  I can see being excited that EA isn't the publisher, but that's different than throwing accolades at Trion where they haven't earned them yet.

One thing to consider is IF they need to update Archeage that frequently compared to Rift. It seems to me that out of the box content is huge and there will be a considerable amount to keep players busy for longer compared to Rift where they pretty much had to update it frequently due to a lack of content. If you have to tools to entertain yourself (sandbox), then you won't need updates as much because you will just focus on another area of the game.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

From what I just looked at SL release was 11/13/2012 they had 6 hotfixes and then 2.1 patch on 12/12/2012 and have had 5 hotfixes since that.I fail to see that they're anywhere near being full of hot air.In 2 month's and 11 day's to have 11 hotfixes and a 2.1 patch.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Trion was the perfect fit to be honest,ncsoft have experience whit Kor games but all fail fast and ncsoft really dont work well whit it they love to make change and is to the worst for Kor games,not saying NCSOFT is not good its great  but not whit kor games and trion will fix better ,cause theres no other better companny other than Ncsoft  and trion ,blizzard are like the redneck companny  and funcom well you know.. peace

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

This is awesome.  I hated Rift, but its clear that Trion is more than competent.

And lol @ the guy above me.  "Only 10 abilities?"  Can you read?

• Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120
    This is Great news! Very excited 
  • aranhaaranha Member UncommonPosts: 171

Trion is perfect for this! Best news ive heard in months!

Wieeee! :D

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    As long as the refrain from the asinine ads about the competition and worry more about the attitude toward their own games then Trion is indeed a good choice.
    incoming gw2 bashing campaign followed by failure.

Trion also had their own "Not in Azeroth Anymore" along with some panda marketing blurb.  They've poked at WoW since before release.  It hasn't worked out so well for them.  They should focus and save the smack talking until after success.

No MMO can touch success of WOW but that doesn't mean Rift  isn't success and Trion isn't a success as a company.

And while we are subject of poking WOW..head honcho of GW2 Mike O Brian claimed he won't rest till he beats WOW and become number one.... what do you have to say about his pipe dream?

Atleast Trion did it in a way which was humorus and light hearted and didn't make any ridiculous and over the top statements like Mike O Brian.

It was a goal, its good to have those you know, otherwise you get lazy. He didn't say that GW2 would beat WoW, he just said he will keep working towards that, because its his goal.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

..we all agree?

wtf *looks for hell freezing over*

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I think Trion's ads for Rift which referenced WoW were not necessarily to mock WoW, but to state that it's not like it... Like most games were at the time. In a day in age where people love to cry "WoW Clone" I don't blame them.