Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Jake Song On Teaming with Trion

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The news that XLGames has signed a Western publishing agreement with Trion Worlds for ArcheAge has sent tingles down many spines today. We had the privilege to speak with Jake Song, Jake Song, President and CEO of XLGames to find out more about the deal. Check out our exclusive interview with Mr. Song and then add your joyful noise to the comments.

MMORPG.com: One last question: when will we hear about an English beta? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jake Song:  That is something that we are working on with Trion and will let you know soon! 

Read more of Bill Murphy's ArcheAge: Jake Song On Teaming with Trion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    TRION...well, that certainly was an unexpected but welcome surprise!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    That's good news. I don't really like the game Rift that Trion did, but they seem to be a lot better company than most out there. I'm glad they went with Trion.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    very unexpected, and very welcome surprise indeed!
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Sounds like a good move. Rift is a solid, polished game with some great developers. Their new expac was prob one of the best upgrades to an mmo I can remember. Very happy ArcheAge will see the light of day over here.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by vtravi
    Hmm 30 levels of tutorial. How many players are gonna quite before they get through the tutorial. I only need about an hour to figure out how a game works. This seems excessive

perhaps those 30 levels incl a full continent of quest eh.. remember that AA is as mutch a Themepark as its a Sandboxy game. (its neither but by lack of of hybrith name ..both) and players like you who know everyting after a hour can always skip stuff and go  their own way...tho miss out of the freebee  gear you get during the "tutorial"

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Tayah
    That's good news. I don't really like the game Rift that Trion did, but they seem to be a lot better company than most out there. I'm glad they went with Trion.

yep didnt like RIFT either, but TRION seems professional, do think this is a good choice from XLgames - will see in future ofc :P

• OlgosOlgos Member Posts: 8

That's awesome.  I only played Rift during beta, and about a week after release, wasn't too impressed with the game.

However, I was impressed by the execution, polish, and stability of the product during stress tests and upon release.  I am confident Trion will be able to deliver.  ArcheAge is a game I've been looking forward to since I first saw it on this site and this brings me hope that it will be what I've been looking for.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Trion managing this game is the best decision ever. I don't even enjoy Rift anymore, but they are one of the most dedicate development teams out there. 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Congratulations on a wise move.  I think Trion is an outstanding choice for publisher.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    TRION is a brilliant choice. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    TRION...well, that certainly was an unexpected but welcome surprise!

Very welcomed indeed !

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by vtravi

I agree 100% and this is the one thing that really, and I mean REALLY turns me off about AA - at least based on hands on from others.

Hopefully we can skip it all starting at level 2 and not be ridiculously gimped.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Honestly Trion sounds like a really good choice.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Sounds great! Archeage coming out through a US publisher that doesn't suck, plus a so far excellent POE open beta is already making 2012 look like the sick joke for gaming that it was.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    As long as the refrain from the asinine ads about the competition and worry more about the attitude toward their own games then Trion is indeed a good choice.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Great choice!

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I repeat: EU is not getting the shaft!

Great choice, XLGames.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Jake song my man..best decision you could ever make. Good move.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    This is best MMO
  • causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Amazing! A-ma-zing.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Surprised. Impressed. Anticipating.

I hope the level to 30 is optional.  I would assume if I figure out what I want to do I can stop the quests at say level 3 and level up doing other things in the world.  That would make the most sense giving the gamer the option to be hand held through to the end or leaving and fending for yourself.

He mentioned that:

A Character will level up, but the chosen abilities have their own level too. If the player changes his/her mind and changes certain ability before reaching character’s highest level, the changed ability level will be low but can be improved by earning XPs through activities such as hunting.

Does this mean after I reach max level I can no longer change my skills?

Last.  Define 'soon'  (hope it means this year!) :-)

Cant wait for this one boys (and girls).

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Optional? There's 50 levels in the game it's not optional.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    As long as the refrain from the asinine ads about the competition and worry more about the attitude toward their own games then Trion is indeed a good choice.
    incoming gw2 bashing campaign followed by failure.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Best possible publisher for us, cool :)

Now just to wait 1 more year for the release :p