Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Dynamic Events ARE revolutionary, I can't wait till they are evolutionary!

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

The thing is there not really Dynamic. They are static. They dont "evolve". Take the egg one for example, when you complete stage one a script kicks in to start stage 2. Theres nothing dynamic about that. Just like rifts they happen multiple times NEVER chaning stages and happen in the same spot. 

If they were "dynamic" then how come I could farm the Giant fish DE in the Fields of Ruin? If they were Dynamic it would happen ONCE then evolve. The centaur attacks would change, their strategys would chnage but they dont. There just prettier versions of Rifts and PQs.

but they are not static when they are active and that's the point.. yes they repeat and don't have as "lasting" consequences as I and many would like but the whole point is they are continuouslly in a state of change going from not even there to in motion to complete state to fail state. Rifts concept was fine but they are all the same no story no nothing so it gets stale after a couple zones.. sure many feel the same for GW2 but overall at least each DE has a story tied to it in some form and the majority do have multiple states dependent on whether they fail or not.. again i think so many played just during launch and just saw the oversaturation of the DEs and never saw the fail states on any of them but most have them and it generally leads to a differn't event

HAve you played Rift at all, Some of there events span across entire zones .. That encompass the entire zone from complete state to fail state and are in contiunuos change .. Go watch a dragon attack encampments across an entire zone while wave after wave of its minions swarm into camp and if you lose camp is gone until folks come and fight and defend to reclaim it..(which isnt event realted .. but if you want that camp you recaptire it.. outside of the events progress..Rift did DE first and better imo than GW2 ..

i played Rift for 9 months and enjoyed it very much.. but again every Rift is the same there is  no story it spawns and thats it.. zone invasions same thing.. yes they can take over whole zones but it still is the exact same every single time a bunch of enemies spawn and do sweeps of the zone.. no story nothing.. guess it's just what you feel is important in quests.. i like the stories

There are stoires behind them and activley dialouged during the vent .. you douldnt of gotten very far or done any events from the first expansion ...  or any Raid Rifts ..... you may want to read up or do a lil more research on Rifts events to date

Played Rift for over 1 year. The Rifts and zone invasions are timed by population and time of day. You can set your clock by them. Some of them made no sense in the lore of Rift and Rift's lore is very spotty, if you tink GW2's lore is bad, rift's is worse. It is a good game and I liked it, don't get me wrong, but the events in Rift are not chained like GW2's and that is a big difference. In GW2, if you win one DE, then it leads to another where it branches again. So it really all depends.

The events are chained , especially the World Events and particularly in both expansions ..   so do some research .. Have you done any of the World Events in the New Lands from either expansion .. im gussing No ..

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

The thing is there not really Dynamic. They are static. They dont "evolve". Take the egg one for example, when you complete stage one a script kicks in to start stage 2. Theres nothing dynamic about that. Just like rifts they happen multiple times NEVER chaning stages and happen in the same spot. 

If they were "dynamic" then how come I could farm the Giant fish DE in the Fields of Ruin? If they were Dynamic it would happen ONCE then evolve. The centaur attacks would change, their strategys would chnage but they dont. There just prettier versions of Rifts and PQs.

but they are not static when they are active and that's the point.. yes they repeat and don't have as "lasting" consequences as I and many would like but the whole point is they are continuouslly in a state of change going from not even there to in motion to complete state to fail state. Rifts concept was fine but they are all the same no story no nothing so it gets stale after a couple zones.. sure many feel the same for GW2 but overall at least each DE has a story tied to it in some form and the majority do have multiple states dependent on whether they fail or not.. again i think so many played just during launch and just saw the oversaturation of the DEs and never saw the fail states on any of them but most have them and it generally leads to a differn't event

HAve you played Rift at all, Some of there events span across entire zones .. That encompass the entire zone from complete state to fail state and are in contiunuos change .. Go watch a dragon attack encampments across an entire zone while wave after wave of its minions swarm into camp and if you lose camp is gone until folks come and fight and defend to reclaim it..(which isnt event realted .. but if you want that camp you recaptire it.. outside of the events progress..Rift did DE first and better imo than GW2 ..

i played Rift for 9 months and enjoyed it very much.. but again every Rift is the same there is  no story it spawns and thats it.. zone invasions same thing.. yes they can take over whole zones but it still is the exact same every single time a bunch of enemies spawn and do sweeps of the zone.. no story nothing.. guess it's just what you feel is important in quests.. i like the stories

There are stoires behind them and activley dialouged during the vent .. you douldnt of gotten very far or done any events from the first expansion ...  or any Raid Rifts ..... you may want to read up or do a lil more research on Rifts events to date

i'm basing this off when i played at launch till 9 months in.. I'm sure things may have changed a bit since then and im sure the expansion did add some nice stuff.. but most people here seem to be basing their GW2 experience off a single beta weekend or just a weeks play at launch..

Im not i have an 80 Engi in Gw2.. and several alts from the 30-60 range .. So what you are basing your information off of is a limited play experience that , that is misinformed and bias

how is 9 months limited play? also i said nothing about the new zones or expansions my experience is every zone from the original game.. jeez some people and there agendas.. lol take care people off to work

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I could certainly see how a simple-minded individual who plays through GW2's PvE / leveling content one time, could feel like it was "dynamic" to some extent.

However, you really don't have to pull the curtain back too far to see that it's just a bunch of gimmicks with definitive triggers and timers.

I rolled a few alts in GW2 and found absolutely no variation in content during the leveling process.   Each event had the same objective and outcome each time I came across them. 

I'll definitely agree that ANet has taken quest design to the next level but you simply cannot continue to try to sell it as "dynamic" content.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by Phry
    They may have more detail than Rifts dynamic events, but that doesnt really alter the fact that Rift created the concept. Maybe Arenanet took that idea and ran with it, but ultimately, it was Trion that brought about that revolution, if you can call it that. Whether it will catch on and evolve into something more in other games remains to be seen, i kind of hope it does. image

ANet already were talking about their DEs way before Rift was released... so no, Rift did not creat DEs.  Which aren't really dynamic to begin with, just pathing mobs was all it was until you shut down the rift.  And if we really wanna go there I'm sure we can find DEs long before Rift was even in the beginning development stage.

As far as GW2.  DEs are certainly refreshing and a change of pace.  It's great how there are differnt events (not 100% but a definate different experience in the same zeon) when you lvl a diff toon.  However they are just another form of quests which one repeats over and over and a lot.  There are great immersion in a zone but too much is it on a repeat cycle.  My biggest beef was how these "dynamic events" turned to a zerg fest after so many join the fray.  Didn't really see this till Orr where I couldn't even see the mob because it was such a cluster fuck of toons.  Certainly a great break from the dreadful quest log approach to things.

Revolutionary?  Hardly, just simpely the next step in MMO development or evolution.

Tis true. Arenanet was talking about it long before Rift came along. Rift did the static events system with the ability of the mobs to run amuck and fill the surrounding zone (patrols) however, neither one of those games Rift or War made it so that the happenings in one event would lead to another in a chain. They had conditionals yes but nothing like the DE's in GW2. 

I'm still not logging into the game until they fix the loot problems and completely change the FotM fiasco but I am not above telling the truth. Like the game or hate it you can't say honestly that it's just like the other two games without trying to oversimplify the system they have in place now even without meaningful fixed outcomes it's loads better.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

i'm basing this off when i played at launch till 9 months in.. I'm sure things may have changed a bit since then and im sure the expansion did add some nice stuff.. but most people here seem to be basing their GW2 experience off a single beta weekend or just a weeks play at launch..

Im not i have an 80 Engi in Gw2.. and several alts from the 30-60 range .. So what you are basing your information off of is a limited play experience that , that is misinformed and bias

how is 9 months limited play? also i said nothing about the new zones or expansions my experience is every zone from the original game.. jeez some people and there agendas.. lol take care people off to work

Exactly .. my point .. your gameplay is limited ,without experince and or knowledge of Rifts World Events ... your information is limited and outdated .. And there is no aganeda .. just like you want to post about GW2 , others want to post information about other games that is not misrepresented...

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I keep hearing people talking about Dynamic Events and how they are just like Rift's rifts, or Warhammer's PQ's, but I don't see the similarity at all.   The DE's in GW2 are extremely revolutionary.   Rifts just seem to be random occurances of mobs all over the map, and that doesn't sound revolutionary at all, nothing like GW2 Dynamic Events.

Now I know that there are all sorts of people going to tell me how wrong I am. I've seen how people react to words, and especially words that might show GW2 in a positive light.  And I'm sure that none of them actually care if  nobody says anything, but they sure care if someone says that they like the game. It's just a negative world for many people, and they  feel compelled to "keep the optimism in check"

The DE's in GW2 are very revolutionary. Take for example, one of the norn Dynamic Events in the starting area.  It starts off with a norn woman wanting to collect wyrm eggs for food. Now she asks everyone in the area to help by retrieving as many wyrm eggs as possible, and she will use the eggs to make some food for everyone. Needless to say, she needs a lot of eggs, and the more people that take part, means she will need even more eggs. Once she has enough, she will say so and then give people a chance to bring the last of the eggs they've collected to her.  Yeah, thats right, she doesn't just stop and leave, she gives everyone a chance to participate even though she's reached her quota.

Then she goes back to the lodge to prepare a wondrous meal for everyone, but the scent of the eggs attracts wyrms to the lodge! Yes, this is a lodge with NPC vendors and everything, and everybody has to help fend off the wyrm attack! The attack almost seems endless as wave after wave of wyrms attack the lodge. The bodies of wyrms, and norn litter the ground in front of the lodge.  And once the assault is finally over, the eggs are ruined and the woman has to admit that it might not have been such a good idea to collect all those eggs. Another norn comments that the fight was magnificent (LOL! That is sooo norn) and before long the woman decides to go collect more eggs, and the event has gone through it's full revolution. Full circle, so to speak.

That is why I say that GW2 Dynamic Events are revolutionary, but what I'm really looking forward to is when they become evolutionary. When an event chain matures to not always come back to the exact same point. Maybe it will still have the potential to return to it's original point, but I would like to see multiple return points to start off from, as well as multiple outcomes. 

I can't wait to see where the genre moves to next.

I dont know if you are being sarcastic.

1)DE are not dynamic at all, is more like static event, did you remember Warhammer PQs, is exactly like that.

2) Is not revolutionary, That was Rift. 

3) Dont know why people keep talking about GW2 like something revolutionary, is not. Well maybe talking about the low player retention rate, 3 mill of copies sold and less than 500k active players a few months after launch. 

Not sure if I'm gonna laugh or cry at this.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by lufiaz

I have a mixed feeling about GW2's so called dynamic events. At the core, those DEs are nothing but repeatable quests that pop out every 15-30 mins. And all the DEs I did so far up to lv 30 of my ele were all about zerging. I really want something more than just ganging up on the waves of mob untill it's over. Something that requires strategy and coordination between the players other than just following the way point. What's worse is that there's no real rewards or consequences for those DEs. Succeeded? Good, here's your karma and exp. Now open the map and head to your next DE. You failed to stop the monster attack? No bid deal try again in 30 mins.

It's still better than seeing ! on the heads of NPC though.

The part in bold is where you're wrong on the whole DE thing. If you failed to stop the monster attack the monster doesn't go away, it stays and spawns a new event to beat it. It won't cycle until the players push it to the point of cycling... there are fail states that the events will settle into. You can come across a town and find a huge giant settled in there with all the NPCs dead. You gather people, kill the giant eventually and the city comes back to "life", with NPCs, vendors, etc. At this point the DE chain can cycle, but not prior. There's no "automatic reset" from a fail state, but fail states can and do spawn additional events.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

RIFTs zone invasions are very simplistic.

The mobs only have a few set targets they try to take over and the mobs use the roads.lol

Besides a zone can't be contested indefently If players havent manage to clear the zone, the zone returns to it's orginal state ony a few footholds remains so people can do their dailes.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Again you just don't know what the terms Dynamic, Static and Evolving mean.

Dynamic doesn't mean "ever changing that never repeats".

In fact even evolving doesn't exclude the possibility of returning to a previous state.

Dynamic doesn't mean random.

In fact nothing is random in an artificial thing - there is just different levels of complexity but there is always a pattern.

If people, after Arenanet explained the game had something like 1500 events though they would be never ending and not cyclical in nature, well they have a problem of realism.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

In fact even evolving doesn't exclude the possibility of returning to a previous state.

In fact nothing is random in an artificial thing - there is just different levels of complexity but there is always a pattern.

If people, after Arenanet explained the game had something like 1500 events though they would be never ending and not cyclical in nature, well they have a problem of realism.

By the way, and I was arguing over semantics earlier, but doesn't the 'dynamic' simply refer to the fact the events scale to the number of players?  It says nothing about how much they change the world or area.   

Originally posted by fat_taddler

I could certainly see how a simple-minded individual who plays through GW2's PvE / leveling content one time, could feel like it was "dynamic" to some extent.

However, you really don't have to pull the curtain back too far to see that it's just a bunch of gimmicks with definitive triggers and timers.

I rolled a few alts in GW2 and found absolutely no variation in content during the leveling process.   Each event had the same objective and outcome each time I came across them. 

I'll definitely agree that ANet has taken quest design to the next level but you simply cannot continue to try to sell it as "dynamic" content.

Define Dynamic.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Define Dynamic.

Well here is the part of the official definition from the GW2 site: "Dynamic events change and evolve in response to how you interact with them, leaving lasting effects in the game world."

No they don't.  

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/

• Hobbes92Hobbes92 Member Posts: 8

I agree with the spirit of the OP's post, GW2s dynamic events are more involved and multilayered...at first. However what is lacking from all of GW2 dynamic events is any sense of spontaneity. To initiate one of the many dynamic events you will always be talking to the same NPCs and in the end fighting the same monsters at the same zone. You may arrive part way through the process of initializing the dynamic event, but they are always, unfailingly, the same.

THUS, I propose that there is nothing dynamic at all about GW2s events because they are simply a set of static unchanging objectives that trigger one another. Hence, I find it more appropriate to label GWS "dynamic" events "World Events".

While I never did play Warhammer Online, I can safetly say that an enjoyable aspec of Rift was and is that rifts are likely to spawn anywhere in a zone, and it left unchecked they can run rampant through the countryside!

Just my two cents, take them as you will :)

Originally posted by ScaryMonk
    Originally posted by Caldrin

@ OP GW2 events are anything buy dynamic..

They happen at the same points over and over and over.. how on earth is that Dynamic?

You don't know what dynamic means.

Dynamic just means something in a state of flow.

It doesn't mean random, it doesn't mean unique.

Both are wrong really, maybe Cyclical or Recurrent Events.  

There is a thing in physics called "Dynamics of Circular motion".

The words aren't guilty people don't know their meaning.

There is also a 'Modified Newtonian Dynamics' as well as many other theories and phrases containing the word 'dynamic'; and these are also entirely irrelevent.  

And all characterize things with movement and that are the opposite of static.

Which can be applied to any quest in any game making the word redundant. 

No.

A quest has 2 states, not completed and completed.

A dynamic event can have several states that move, some in a linear fashion other forking.

But now you are choosing to ignore the definition of dynamic because it doesn't suit your argument.  

dy·nam·ic  (dimage-nimagemimageimagek)

adj. also dy·nam·i·cal (-image-kimagel)

a. Of or relating to energy or to objects in motion.

b. Of or relating to the study of dynamics.

2. Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress: a dynamic market.

3. Marked by intensity and vigor; forceful. See Synonyms at active.

4. Of or relating to variation of intensity, as in musical sound.

Dynamic events as opposed to static quests (ala WoW). A static quest is indicated to be present by the presence of a "quest giver", usually an NPC with an identifying mark (a "quest bang") floating over them indicating that a player should interact with that NPC to receive the quest. The player will then act on the quest which usually affects only that player... killing a certain number of mobs, for example, will now start a counter as credit for the quest whereas killing those same mobs wthout the quest active provides no additional benefit. Upon completion of the static task, the player returns to the NPC for their reward. With a dynamic event you have a system in motion, often without the players even being present, although various triggers can set off the events (proximity, interaction with an object, etc). Dynamic events, when active, affect everyone in the area, not just the person that may have triggered it (as with a static quest). Everyone contributes and everyone gets rewarded for their contributions. DEs can also reach a fail state... failure to complete the event satisfactorally results in the event (and the area) settling into a different state than prior to it's activation. Fail states trigger new events to allow players the opportunity to push the event chain back towards success, but can also lead to additional fail states and new events as a result of those fail states. 

In a nutshell, dynamic events are characterized by activity and progress (pass or fail states and chains). The fact that the chains can be pushed back to cycling is irrelevant to the fact that they are, by definition, dynamic.

Oderint, dum metuant.

By the way, and I was arguing over semantics earlier, but doesn't the 'dynamic' simply refer to the fact the events scale to the number of players?  It says nothing about how much they change the world or area.   

No idea.

It is possible to argue that, that more players cause more mobs to spawn or the mobs to have different attacks.

The world of GW2 is like the "The Truman Show" and has much more movement and activity than many other MMORPG worlds.

It follows a pattern, sure, like anything artificial follow a pattern.

One could say that more mobs spawning in response to more players or the mobs gaining more moves is a Dynamic response, but actually that is one of the weak points of DEs - player power seem to increase at a higher rate then mobs.

I think Dynamic Events encompass all of those aspects - different outcomes, area changes, scalling.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by botrytis

Played Rift for over 1 year. The Rifts and zone invasions are timed by population and time of day. You can set your clock by them. Some of them made no sense in the lore of Rift and Rift's lore is very spotty, if you tink GW2's lore is bad, rift's is worse. It is a good game and I liked it, don't get me wrong, but the events in Rift are not chained like GW2's and that is a big difference. In GW2, if you win one DE, then it leads to another where it branches again. So it really all depends.

The events are chained , especially the World Events and particularly in both expansions ..   so do some research .. Have you done any of the World Events in the New Lands from either expansion .. im gussing No ..

I played them from the first expansion and they were not chained there or Dynamic - please don't insult me. I was grinding Hammerknell with a guild when I decided to quit. THEY ARE NOT DYNAMIC - especially on Ember Isle. I don't have to do research I played there - I KNOW.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

If I remember in the Manifesto they said DEs would change the world around you. They do for 10 minutes at most. But they dont make the world evolve.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

If I remember in the Manifesto they said DEs would change the world around you. They do for 10 minutes at most. But they dont make the world evolve.

And this is entirely the point, you can call them 'my left shoe events' for all I care, but what they do not do is the following "Dynamic events change and evolve in response to how you interact with them, leaving lasting effects in the game world." as stated in the GW2 official blurb.  

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well, to totally change the world would require loads of horsepower, don't you think? I mean if it changes one area then it would affect all the areas and that would mean it would be too hard to really get a game stable like that. I do agree that is what A.Net said but reality set in about what they really could do.

Many will change the world until the players change it back. The giant that takes that town in the Charr area won't get bored and leave, he'll stay there rendering the town useless until he's killed. When the players kill him finally the town will be active again with NPCs, vendors, events, etc. Change is change.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Exactly .. my point .. your gameplay is limited ,without experince and or knowledge of Rifts World Events ... your information is limited and outdated .. And there is no aganeda .. just like you want to post about GW2 , others want to post information about other games that is not misrepresented...

I think you are confused. He is talking about the random dynamic events, not the planned events. There is no story to the random spawns of monsters across the zones aside from a cheesy 'WE ARE ATTACKING!' speech followed by 'OH NOES, STOPS THEM!' by your faction. Not even in the same ballpark as GW2 stories that are attached to the dynamic events, many of which made me laugh out loud.

For instance when I went and helped clear undead to collect parts for the asura to experiment on. I then followed them up to their lab and after some funny dialogue about 'the knee bone connecting to the thigh bone' they end up making an undead monstrosity that runs rampage through the camp that I have to stop. Its not just the fact that these events flow on logically, but the NPC chatter that makes the experience truely magical.

Sometimes I wonder why they didnt get the NPC chatter writers to write the main story, which seriously lacks humour or interesting dialogue, yet the world is so full of it.

Define Dynamic.

Well here is the part of the official definition from the GW2 site: "Dynamic events change and evolve in response to how you interact with them, leaving lasting effects in the game world."

No they don't.  

Events scale, so they respond to the interaction.

Events also "remember" things like how many farmers were kidnapped or many submarines you protected.

If you lost 4 farmers, you will need to rescue 4 farmers in the next event. If you didn't lost any farmers there will be no event.

If you lost an outpost to centaurs they will start to build siege weapons there and bombard the area.

Seems about right, although not every DE will be as complex.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Caldrin

@ OP GW2 events are anything buy dynamic..

They happen at the same points over and over and over.. how on earth is that Dynamic?

You don't know what dynamic means.

Dynamic just means something in a state of flow.

It doesn't mean random, it doesn't mean unique.

Both are wrong really, maybe Cyclical or Recurrent Events.  

There is a thing in physics called "Dynamics of Circular motion".

The words aren't guilty people don't know their meaning.

There is also a 'Modified Newtonian Dynamics' as well as many other theories and phrases containing the word 'dynamic'; and these are also entirely irrelevent.  

And all characterize things with movement and that are the opposite of static.

Which can be applied to any quest in any game making the word redundant. 

No.

A quest has 2 states, not completed and completed.

A dynamic event can have several states that move, some in a linear fashion other forking.

But now you are choosing to ignore the definition of dynamic because it doesn't suit your argument.  

(...)

2. Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress: a dynamic market.

(...)

The quoted definition has the word "continuous" and the change of quest phases in GW2 is discrete not continuous. So it isn't dynamic by that definition.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Define Dynamic.

No they don't.  

Events also "remember" things like how many farmers were kidnapped or many submarines you protected.

If you lost 4 farmers, you will need to rescue 4 farmers in the next event. If you didn't lost any farmers there will be no event.

If you lost an outpost to centaurs they will start to build siege weapons there and bombard the area.

Yes, I very much agree that they have effects in the game world. However, are those effects "lasting"?

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lasting?s=t)

last·ing

[las-ting, lah-sting]  Show IPA

adjective
    continuing or enduring a long time; permanent; durable: a lastingfriendship.

noun

a strong, durable, closely woven fabric for shoe uppers,coverings on buttons, etc.

Archaic. the quality of surviving or continuing and maintainingstrength, effectiveness, etc.

---------------------------

I would say that most effects are not lasting given the definition by "lasting":

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Define Dynamic.

No they don't.  

Yes, I very much agree that they have effects in the game world. However, are those effects "lasting"?

(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lasting?s=t)

last·ing

[las-ting, lah-sting]  Show IPA

adjective
    continuing or enduring a long time; permanent; durable: a lastingfriendship.

noun

a strong, durable, closely woven fabric for shoe uppers,coverings on buttons, etc.

Archaic. the quality of surviving or continuing and maintainingstrength, effectiveness, etc.

---------------------------

I would say that most effects are not lasting given the definition by "lasting":

Given the 40 minute day/ 20 minute night cycle in the game, the event states could last for many days.

Oderint, dum metuant.