Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's list the games on this site that has no persistent world

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Since some here don't like games without persistent worlds, let's list the game being discussed (with a forum) on this site that does not have an open persistent world. So people can avoid them .. and we know which is which.

I will start ...

- League of Legends

- World of Tanks

- Diablo 3

- Path of Exile

- Gundam Capsule Fighter

- Guild War (does this count?)

- Hawken

- DOTA 2

- Mechwarrior Online

- Marvel Heroes (does this one count, they seem to have open zones)

- Vindictus (most of the game is in instanced right?)

- SMITE

(Addition from Quirhid )

- Cloud Nine

- Dragon Nest

(Addition from rojo6934)

- Continent of the 9th Seal

(Addition from Bliss)

- Terra Militaris

- Tactica Online

- Absolute Terror

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Lets start a petition to get them removed.

+1 to start things off.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    We should make a list of lists so that I can find the list I want to look at.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by RefMinor

+1 to start things off.

Why? You feel threatened just by other discussing games without virtual worlds?

You can just stay away from their forums. It would practically be "removed" for you.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

- Cloud Nine

- Dragon Nest

Whether you count GW or not is entirely dependant on your definition of a persistent world. Say if you include GW in the list, you have to include Dungeon and Dragons Online aswell. And depending on how far do you want to go with that, even Age of Conan.

Its a gray area.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

+1 to start things off.

I was half expecting that the first response would be a cheap shot from a purist. ...and you did not disappoint. narius served that on a platter.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Lets start a petition to get them removed. +1 to start things off.

You can just stay away from their forums. It would practically be "removed" for you.

Why the thread then..?

Are u trying to learn, if not why herald these types of games on an mmorpg site..? Why are you such a proponent of the games you've listed, then put "so people can stay away"..

Then immediatly chastise someone for wanted these non-mmorpg games removed. Then, u let the cat out of the bag and suggest he was "threatened" by non-persistant worlds.. when it is YOU who let it slip ur frightened by non-lobby, non-persistant worlds.

Narius, u are at mmorpg.com... get a clue.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Phelcher

+1 to start things off.

Why the thread then..? Are u trying to learn, if not why herald these types of games on an mmorpg site..? Why are you such a proponent of the games you've listed, then put "so people can stay away".. Then immediatly chastise someone for wanted these non-mmorpg games removed. Then, u let the cat out of the bag and suggest he was "threatened" by non-persistant words.. when it is YOU who let it slip ur frightened by non-lobby, non-persistant worlds. Narius, u are at mmorpg.com... get a clue.

He's trying to convince players that they wouldn't notice if the persistant world was removed from MMO's. Check his other thread or threads lol. He's not happy with the answers others are giving so it seems hes going to simply keep making threads about the same thing until someone agrees with him and says hes right lol...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

Define list, please.

I'm kidding! :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    MMORPG ELITISTS UNITE!!!

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    OMG at first I though you were talking Clisp
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

With the exception of 1 or 2 titles in that list there are no proper MMORPGs included.  Some of them are MMOs but not MMORPGs.  Quite a few of the games are fun however, but not proper MMORPGs.  Guild Wars being the only one I would definitely call a MMORPG and tentatively still.  That's one of the games that started this whole blur and confusion of MMO genres.  

For me to be interested in an MMORPG and consider it a fully featured MMORPG, it must include a persistant world.  Otherwise it gets thrown into a big basket of other jumbly migrating genre names that sometimes have the MMO mistakingly tagged on when it needs to just be O(online).

And since the sad clown dude (RefMinor) joined me in the defense of persistant worlds before I have to +2 just because.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir

Guild Wars being the only one I would definitely call a MMORPG and tentatively still.  

LOL! Except its not! Unless maybe MMO doesn't mean MMO anymore and the fans, developers, media, producers and marketers who called it a NON MMO CORPG don't know what they are talking about.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

Define list, please. 

I hope that your list of lists contains itself.  And also a list of definitions of "list".

------

If killing mobs only makes them respawn 5 minutes later as though nothing had happened, is that "persistent"?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

It depends on if the game actually explains the "respawn"

TSW atleast tried in kingsmouth being that the zombie that you just killed is the same zombie, they just cant be killed. Momentarily taken out of action is a good way of explaining it. However sadly it can't be explained for everything.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by madazz

Guild Wars being the only one I would definitely call a MMORPG and tentatively still.  

LOL! Except its not! Unless maybe MMO doesn't mean MMO anymore and the fans, developers, media, producers and marketers who called it a NON MMO CORPG don't know what they are talking about.

It was supposed to be an MMORPG alternative that played similarly.  Guild Wars 2 tried harder to do this and was at least successful in placing all the players of the server in the same world without as many restrictions, if not in an overflow server.  I wouldn't call it completely disimilar to MMORPGs though as it still had a lot of the same features.  Guild Wars was certainly an MMO though and GW2 is an MMORPG.

Guild Wars allowed Massive amounts of people into its Online Role Playing Game.  While they were not always on the same plane of existance they were very much all in the same game and could reach out and communicate (and socialize in cities) and play with eachother...even if not in the classic sense. 

I think I sense some deja vu with this argument.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    #6?

This one is pretty good though, can we expect it to be updated?

It was supposed to be an MMORPG alternative that played similarly.  Guild Wars 2 tried harder to do this and was at least successful in placing all the players of the server in the same world without as many restrictions, if not in an overflow server.  I wouldn't call it completely disimilar to MMORPGs though as it still had a lot of the same features.  Guild Wars was certainly an MMO though and GW2 is an MMORPG.

Guild Wars allowed Massive amounts of people into its Online Role Playing Game.  While they were not always on the same plane of existance they were very much all in the same game and could reach out and communicate (and socialize in cities) and play with eachother...even if not in the classic sense. 

I don't even give a crap what you have to say, and I didn't read what you wrote, because there is no argument for the original guildwars to be an MMO. It never was, never will be. And anyone saying otherwise is disagreeing with even the people who made the game. Get over it. It will NEVER be an MMO. They will not go back to it and turn it into an MMO. They will leave it as is. It is generally accepted on this forum, and every other (including the GW forums), that GW is not an MMO.

I don't even give a crap what you have to say, and I didn't read what you wrote, because there is no argument for the original guildwars to be an MMO. It never was, never will be. And anyone saying otherwise is disagreeing with even the people who made the game. Get over it. It will NEVER be an MMO. They will not go back to it and turn it into an MMO. They will leave it as is. It is generally accepted on this forum, and every other (including the GW forums), that GW is not an MMO.

Guild Wars was the original MMO *snicker*

Guild Wars was the original MMO *snicker*

Actually, Chess was. ;)

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Since some here don't like games without persistent worlds, let's list the game being discussed (with a forum) on this site that does not have an open persistent world. So people can avoid them .. and we know which is which.

I will start ...

- League of Legends

- World of Tanks

- Diablo 3

- Path of Exile

- Gundam Capsule Fighter

- Guild War (does this count?)

- Hawken

- DOTA 2

- Mechwarrior Online

- Marvel Heroes (does this one count, they seem to have open zones)

- Vindictus (most of the game is in instanced right?)

... anything else?

Guild Wars had persistent cities, towns and outposts, but the rest was instanced. I guess if GW counts as not having a persistent world, then DDO would count as well, since it uses the same idea (persistent cities, instanced adventure areas).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by nariusseldon Since some here don't like games without persistent worlds, let's list the game being discussed (with a forum) on this site that does not have an open persistent world. So people can avoid them .. and we know which is which. I will start ... - League of Legends - World of Tanks - Diablo 3 - Path of Exile - Gundam Capsule Fighter - Guild War (does this count?) - Hawken - DOTA 2 - Mechwarrior Online - Marvel Heroes (does this one count, they seem to have open zones) - Vindictus (most of the game is in instanced right?) ... anything else?
    You know, it appears this thread isn't MMO based as the primary content of your subject only speaks of MOBA style games, or CORPG. Just saying ;)

The Pub at MMORPG.COM
    Use this forum to talk about MMORPGs. Please stay on the topic about MMORPGs and use the "off-topic" forum for unrelated posts  

General Gaming
    A place to discuss non-MMORPG gaming.  

Though it is generally accepted to talk about any plain ol' MMO's until the mods say otherwise, they did create for us many forums and a general gaming forum to discuss other non MMO games.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Quirhid

+1 to start things off.

I was half expecting that the first response would be a cheap shot from a purist. ...and you did not disappoint. narius served that on a platter.

You were expecting a serious answer to a troll thread?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

How is this a troll thread?

Originally posted by dave6660

How is this a troll thread?

Someone is just upset that a) there are games listed here with forums that have no persistent world, and they can't do a thing about it, and b) they don't even want to face a thread with information about which game has a persistent world, and which one not.

It is obviously there is serious debate about how to even view that (as the discussion about DDO & GW). I think you can ignore them, and focus on the discussions. They are the trolls.

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Guild Wars had persistent cities, towns and outposts, but the rest was instanced. I guess if GW counts as not having a persistent world, then DDO would count as well, since it uses the same idea (persistent cities, instanced adventure areas).

I suppose we should focus on the gameplay element. After all, these are all games for entertainment. If the persistent areas are served as lobbies, and are not involved in most of the gameplay, i wouldn't count them as "persistent world".

I think it should only count if significant amount of gameplay happens there.