Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating the Haters

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

Blind Hatred?  The hate it's getting is because they locked races to factions and then limit the area we can explore.  You are the one that sounds blind.  If you can't take a moment to read what people are saying then you shouldn't comment.

Yep I find that pretty funny. They pretend to be blind from all the info which has been released and then accuse others, who have looked at this info, of being blind. image

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Blind hatred is unreasonable.

But the hatred surrounding TESO gets less and less blind everyday: people are holding what the devs say and show against them. And as others have said, even the historically over-positive writers here at MMORPG.com have all stated TESO is going to be a more or less typical themepark.

So... what? Criticizing TESO as a themepark is what? Besides true?

ES is a very popular and much beloved RPG IP and many fans of that IP are legitimately complaining that the MMO they are trying to sell is almost nothing like the SPG games that made the IP popular.

Guess what?

Too Bad.

When a developer chooses to use a popular IP, they get the marketing bump from the name recognition, which was the point, but they also get the "baggage" of what that IP brings to the table. And if they deviate too far from being "true" to that IP, then they can pay the penalty for that with the fans.

Which is what is happening here.

TESO will be/is nothing like the SPGs of the ES IP and Zenimax is going to hear about that.

And frankly, that is not unreasonable.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Yamota

Do you even know what blind hatred is? Let me educate you. It means to hate something without knowing anything about it and/or false information about it. I know that ESO will be a ThemePark and I know what a ThemePark formula does to an MMO. More over I know that Skyrim was not a ThemePark style RPG so my hate for it is based on facts.

Now you may believe that the fact that ESO will be a ThemePark is indeed not a fact but I believe it is and there are tons of signs pointing to it. So my hate for ESO is not blind, I dont hate it for no or false reason. I have a clear, specific reason for it and that is that the Skyrim model would have been a stellar and great sandbox MMO.

Instead they scrapped that idea and went ThemePark and, short of the Elder Scrolls skin, I dont see how those two RPGs will have anything to do with each other. It is another example where they (ab)use an excellent IP for a quick cash grab.

which is complete nonsense until we see the final product or at least till open beta

No, it is a prediction based on the data we have. In life things are not always handed to you but you have to make assumptions,  predictions and even guess. If you are unable to do that then goodluck getting through life basing everything you do in 100% verifiable evidence.

They have data now..you're starting to make it sound like a cult when you keep saying "we".

Armchair developers everywhere.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

very much agreed.. the blind hatred over themeparks on these forums is just sad... from all i have read sounds like they have some solid ideas so hopefully it will pan out

Blind Hatred?  The hate it's getting is because they locked races to factions and then limit the area we can explore.  You are the one that sounds blind.  If you can't take a moment to read what people are saying then you shouldn't comment.

You can make 3 different characters and explore everything while also getting 3 different story lines through each faction.

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Skyrim was a themepark - just because you could go out and explore does not make it any less themeparky. You can explore in GW2 also - that is how I am leveling one character, just going out ans seeing what is there.

You are picking at nits and just throwing out as much non-information as possible to see if it sticks. There are no hard and fast rules so please stop trying to invent them.

Let us wait and see what it will be BEFORE bringing on the hate or the hype engine.

You keep repeating that but dont say why. How was Skyrim a ThemePark? The whole world was designed so you did not need to follow it in a linear fashion.

Because themepark is not define by linear or non linear.

Themepark is defined by offering the player pre made rides (story and dungeons for example) that they can use for enjoyment.

Open themepark vs directed themepark.

A ThemePark is ofcourse not completely linear, just as a real ThemePark. They are all relatively linear because they provide you with rides (as more than one), in specific zones, for specific level brackets and once done you move on to the next ride for the next level bracket. That is what makes it linear and no ThemePark I have ever played did not follow that model.

I heard Secret World might be like that but that would be an exception and I strongly doubt that you can go anywhere you want at any level because it seems to be pretty story based which by definition makes it linear.

Also never heard of the term open themepark, did you just make that up?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Skyrim was a themepark - just because you could go out and explore does not make it any less themeparky. You can explore in GW2 also - that is how I am leveling one character, just going out ans seeing what is there.

You are picking at nits and just throwing out as much non-information as possible to see if it sticks. There are no hard and fast rules so please stop trying to invent them.

Let us wait and see what it will be BEFORE bringing on the hate or the hype engine.

You keep repeating that but dont say why. How was Skyrim a ThemePark? The whole world was designed so you did not need to follow it in a linear fashion.

Themepark is defined by offering the player pre made rides (story and dungeons for example) that they can use for enjoyment.

A ThemePark is ofcourse not completely linear, just as a real ThemePark. They are all relatively linear because they provide you with rides (as more than one), in specific zones, for specific level brackets and once done you move on to the next ride for the next level bracket. That is what makes it linear and no ThemePark I have ever played did not follow that model.

I heard Secret World might be like that but that would be an exception and I strongly doubt that you can go anywhere you want at any level because it seems to be pretty story based which by definition makes it linear.

Maaaaybeeeee....  image

Originally posted by Istavaan

I don't need to develop an MMO to know crap when I see it.

people make up terms all the time to suit their agenda, i've heard the term sandpark being thrown around a lot lately.

Originally posted by Burntvet

But you haven't seen it.

Originally posted by Fearum

You can make 3 different characters and explore everything while also getting 3 different story lines through each faction.

Which are three linear paths and at no time can you switch from one line to another unless you switch characters. In other words a typical linear ThemePark.

If it was like Skyrim you would be able to go from one faction to the other and by doing acts in that faction you could build up your reputation there and effectively switch or be dual faction. That would be an MMORPG which would follow the Skyrim model where you could join whatever faction you like and do their quest paths (or not).

people make up terms all the time to suit their agenda, i've heard the term sandpark being thrown around a lot lately.

Oh dear god... lol

I put two words together to describe a sub style of themepark and all of a sudden I am making up terms to support an 'agenda'...

Classic image

But you haven't seen it.

I've seen plenty of ES games, and I've seen most every single article and preview and video that the devs have released, and guess what? That is seeing enough. It is going to be magically something different from all that? No. There is plenty of information out now, and the beta is right around the corner, to figure out was TESO is and is not.
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

But you haven't seen it.

I've seen plenty of ES games, and I've seen most every single article and preview and video that the devs have released, and guess what? That is seeing enough. It is going to be magically something different from all that? No. There is plenty of information out now, and the beta is right around the corner, to figure out was TESO is and is not.

Clearly it's not for you, perhaps it's to others? Like TSW? Amazing!

But you haven't seen it.

Well then if you have seen plenty of ES you'll know they've been dumbing them down for years. morrowind is nothing like oblivion. The difference between the two is sandbox and themepark.

Oh dear god... lol

I put two words together to describe a sub style of themepark and all of a sudden I am making up terms to support an 'agenda'...

Classic image

well you did make up two terms to support your argument.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

im pretty sure he said the lower level areas are locked but the game opens up as you gain levels. he even hinted that races from opposing factions can possibly be in the same guild with a *wink* *wink* *nudge* nudge*..basically they are keeping their cards close to their chests and you have very few facts.

If this is the case then the entire community at ESO semi-offical forums will rage to no end.    From what I've heard over and over there is that we will not be able to enter other faction's areas, no matter what and we are foolish self-entitled brats for asking otherwise.

I seen him studder when asked that question too, but I don't think he was hinting at anything.  I'm guessing that it was discussed before the interview that the topic would not be mentioned and the interviewer slipped it in.  If you see his face it tightens up and his body language shows aggervation and suprise.

If they do open up faction locks and allow us to explore other territories I would be far less criticial of them.

i have only see that mentioned by a couple people i have seen numerous times people posting they hate this game already because it's branded a themepark.. i highly doubt any of them have played beta tried the game in any fasion or have any experience in it at all so i'd call it pretty blind..

I can't speak for everyone else.  Personally I think TES series is a nice mixture of sandbox and themepark.  I don't think a full sandbox game would work well for this game.  Most of the hate I've been noticing is noting the lack of freedom.  Sorry for any confusion. 

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I'm a huge TES fan. I still play Morrowind (and still love it too), Oblivion and Skyrim. Sure there are things that disappoint me about ESO. But I have decided to consider it to be seperate from the single player games. As such, I will be enjoying it as a completely different game. I plan to have fun playing it. I plan to enjoy it for what it offers.

And when Bethesda Game Studios makes TES VI I will buy that and play it too.

I've come to the conclusion that people on this site are jaded by MMO's that failed to live up to their expectations. Maybe they trash on all new MMO's so they won't be disappointed when a game doesn't live up to their lofty expectations.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Which are three linear paths and at no time can you switch from one line to another unless you switch characters. In other words a typical linear ThemePark.

If it was like Skyrim you would be able to go from one faction to the other and by doing acts in that faction you could build up your reputation there and effectively switch or be dual faction. That would be an MMORPG which would follow the Skyrim model where you could join whatever faction you like and do their quest paths (or not).

Typically in ES games I create a different character for each faction, rather than going jack of all trades with one, the characters are more believable that way for me. That's the problem with trying to take a hardline stance on what the ES model is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Go play Skyrim then, This is an mmo and they are designing it around the 3 factions being at war. There is more replayability when you can go through with different characters, classes and builds instead of respeccing or becoming a god that knows everything.

Oh dear god... lol

Classic image

well you did make up two terms to support your argument.

Oh boy...

Did I forget to apply for the patent at the Global Terms Ministry and get my joining two words together in a descriptive phrase authorised?

What a ridiculous bone to pick and make a point out of. I sincerely hope that you are not at all serious in having a problem with someone saying 'open themepark' and 'directed themepark' to describe two broad styles of the model and that you are just trolling me a little...

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Go play Skyrim then, This is an mmo and they are designing it around the 3 factions being at war. There is more replayability when you can go through with different characters, classes and builds instead of respeccing or becoming a god that knows everything.

So being a MMO is > than being an Elder Scrolls game?

NO, there is no more replayability with area locking.  That makes no sense whatsoever, the content is there you either do it or don't.  Want to level different characters then take 3 different paths to get there.  Matter of fact I would suggest there is less replayablity because every character you create within that faction will have the SAME PATH.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Fearum  Go play Skyrim then, This is an mmo and they are designing it around the 3 factions being at war. There is more replayability when you can go through with different characters, classes and builds instead of respeccing or becoming a god that knows everything.
    So being a MMO is > than being an Elder Scrolls game?

NO, there is no more replayability with area locking.  That makes no sense whatsoever, the content is there you either do it or don't.  Want to level different characters then take 3 different paths to get there.  Matter of fact I would suggest there is less replayablity because every character you create within that faction will have the SAME PATH.

Here's a good question:

If you need a character for each faction, Are they going to sell character slots $$$

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    ive seen way more hate than a few people here wanting unlocked factions. There is WAY more hate on this site from players just saying its a themepark or its crap with no other reason than blind hate because its not skyrim online or oblivion online. If people cannot wait and see after beta starts and nda is lifted to pass judgement than just do not play its that simple. But like Ive said before most of the people posting all the hate will be preordering and playing at release just to complain so more. Funny though because the people that complain the loudest here are the ones that seem to buy every game released than complain the loudest about it.
    Originally posted by Distopia

Typically in ES games I create a different character for each faction, rather than going jack of all trades with one, the characters are more believable that way for me. That's the problem with trying to take a hardline stance on what the ES model is.

What is the problem? Skyrim gives you the freedom to do what you want as well, that is the beauty of it. Freedom over restriction, sandbox vs themepark.

This discussion has been closed.