Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: How SWTOR Can Own 2013

Comments

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    I think the time in which SWTOR could have been a hit has long passed. However, that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. The servers are packed, I found a fun guild, and I like my Imperial Agent. Also, you can play for free.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Makeb looks really promissing and population is very healthy... will it own 2013? We will see. it all depends how Makeb will do and how many content updates we will get.

This post brought haters back strong I see... some of you I even did not recognize LOL

From what I see from list of game to be released in 2013 the only rival is TESO... we shall see

only rival teso? lol

oh yeah swtor has no rival because plays in another league...the league of mmos forced to go f2p to survive

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Skuall

Makeb looks really promissing and population is very healthy... will it own 2013? We will see. it all depends how Makeb will do and how many content updates we will get.

This post brought haters back strong I see... some of you I even did not recognize LOL

From what I see from list of game to be released in 2013 the only rival is TESO... we shall see

only rival teso? lol

oh yeah swtor has no rival because plays in another league...the league of mmos forced to go f2p to survive

And you won't see any more strict P2P model in incoming MMOs as it's obviously outdated :). I bet on this.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Do not underestimate The Repopulation. My old SWG guild members (some are playing SWTOR) are chomping at the bit to play it. It's looking like it will be another SWG style MMO...finally.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Do not underestimate The Repopulation. My old SWG guild members (some are playing SWTOR) are chomping at the bit to play it. It's looking like it will be another SWG style MMO...finally.

We will see... I wish it to success.. but I am not going to even try it... as well as any of my friends who play SWTOR...  not everybody likes SWG style MMOs

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

not everybody likes SWG style MMOs

I liked SWG because I like Star Wars.

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    It can but it wont. Tera brings more promising changes.

I liked SWG because I like Star Wars...

And The Repopulation is far from Star Wars. I am sure it will be a Heaven for sanbox fans, if it will meet their sky high expectations...

• KtaraKtara Member Posts: 37

The only thing SWToR did for me was kill any remaining trust I had with Bioware (now that they've been devoured by EA) and my fascination with the Star Wars universe.  I was a huge fan, a Trekker if you will, for Star Wars.  I know the lore a lot, I loved that world.  ToR killed it entirely.  I don't even want to wear my "Come to the darkside, we have cookies...-V" teeshirt. 

This game is unplayable for me.  According to what I've seen on the pay grid, I'd have to pay to use any of my bank slots/ship slots, crafting, etc...my characters are all stuck in story missions that are too difficult to finish, and it's just too much of the same old, same old. 

I'm looking forward to The Repopulation and Greed Monger.  I'm playing Wurm Online now, and having a blast!  I want sandbox.  You couldn't pay me enough to play another theme park anymore, they're just not any fun.

Someone said sit in chairs...yes, please.  I want to be able to sit down and RP in a game that purports to be an RP haven.  ToR could have at least given us that.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    MMORPG.com have a silent partner in Bioware or something I am not aware of?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well lets see they could do the following

(1) night/day cycles to make the worlds more living

(2) take space of rails

(3) add more content at all levels since they made it a solo game we need more quest

(4) limit voice overs to main character story line

But who am I kidding with a limited staff and buggets in the red, not even mentioned on financial reports any more, yea none of this is going to happen. 

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

We will see... I wish it to success.. but I am not going to even try it... as well as any of my friends who play SWTOR...  not everybody likes SWG style MMOs

As a hater, I would say that you should not read my posts Seven. In a way what I say doesn't really apply to you since you love the game.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

And The Repopulation is far from Star Wars. I am sure it will be a Heaven for sanbox fans, if it will meet their sky high expectations...

To me SWG feels more Star Wars than SWTOR anyday.

I think it really depends on what aspect each fan like most about Star Wars - it seems to me the people who like bounty hunter and smugglers type of character (freedom of action and ownership of properties and ships) seems to favour SWG type of gameplay, where is people who like lightsabers (questing and fighting) seems to like SWTOR more.

Repopulation is a story that we will just ahve to wait and see since it is not even in beta yet, there is really no point in pre-judging something base on 0 information imo.

Not to derail, but us SWG peeps need to back off the expectations of TR being the successor to SWG. It will live as it's own thing, or it will die. The TR team are starting to tamp this down a bit on their own.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    At first I was like WTF? Then I realized he was being sarcastic. 
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Ok then why do we see this and its been like this at least the past week every day

The Harbinger »  ø 2.61 +0.08 98.04 % PvE West
     Begeren Colony »  ø 2.45 -0.01 98.12 % RP PvE West
     Jedi Covenant »  ø 2.29 -0.05 98.10 % PvE East
     The Ebon Hawk »  ø 2.28 -0.05 98.12 % RP PvE East
     Prophecy of the Five »  ø 2.20 -0.08 98.12 % PvP East
     The Shadowlands »  ø 2.20 -0.07 98.12 % PvE East
     The Bastion »  ø 2.08 -0.02 98.12 % PvP West
     Jung Ma »  ø 1.91 -0.01 98.12 % RP PvP East
     Corellian Run »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE East
     The Fatman »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvP East
     Canderous Ordo »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE East
     Drooga's Pleasure Barge »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE West
     High Population Server Test »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE East
      Overall Change   -0.21

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Another propaganda piece pro Bioware/EA SWTOR on mmorpg.com...who is surprised anymore?

I do agree that a giant space game filled with options would do much for this game. A long as it ran well and was pretty much the opposite of the rest of the game.

Then they could say: The rest of it was just supposed to be a minigame!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

lol... I thought this was going to be a Satire piece, but alas it was not. 

There really isn't any hope of SWTOR "Owning 2013", at this point with the steady decline its seeing even with an expansion nearing its not overly likely to survive. 

1) The cash shop would need to be reworked

2) Variety in content would need to be expanded upon. Things like adding both Pazaak and Racing would go a long way. 

3) Opening up space

And this is just stuff needed to surviving 2013 and its not likely they are going to even be willing to do this. It's going to take time, money, and eating a bit of humble pie.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

I came back to SWToR just resently and the game is very well live and kicking. And I had a good time levelling my second char to 50.

I also thought few months after launch when I left the game that "let it rot and die fast" but I started to miss SW-universe now that time passes and grabbed the only mmo option I new, again. To my suprise I had a blast. Strange thing what alive servers and time off can do to a game.

I feel so many here are still b-hurt that bioware didn't deliver SWG2 etc for them, I understand I was too. But SWToR is a good game for being a wow clone with new skin. What it sadly isn't is this deep Star Wars universe MMORPG, open, Sandbox, skillbased, housing with all planets alive, I could go on.

SWToR gives me nice leveling story, char-progression and pvping in Warzones every now and then and that it does well.

Originally posted by erictlewis

Ok then why do we see this and its been like this at least the past week every day

The Harbinger »  ø 2.61 +0.08 98.04 % PvE West
     Begeren Colony »  ø 2.45 -0.01 98.12 % RP PvE West
     Jedi Covenant »  ø 2.29 -0.05 98.10 % PvE East
     The Ebon Hawk »  ø 2.28 -0.05 98.12 % RP PvE East
     Prophecy of the Five »  ø 2.20 -0.08 98.12 % PvP East
     The Shadowlands »  ø 2.20 -0.07 98.12 % PvE East
     The Bastion »  ø 2.08 -0.02 98.12 % PvP West
     Jung Ma »  ø 1.91 -0.01 98.12 % RP PvP East
     Corellian Run »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE East
     The Fatman »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvP East
     Canderous Ordo »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE East
     Drooga's Pleasure Barge »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE West
     High Population Server Test »  ø 0.00 0.00 0.00 % PvE East
      Overall Change   -0.21

LOL... go ahead and log in and check population of the game. You might be very surprised.

More people will start to show up with 1.7 and Makeb coming. I log every day and I do no see any significant differences in population. Starting planets are packed. Fleet have at least 2 instances all the time... even at 3 AM in the morning on weekends. Even higher planets have several instances now.

Originally posted by Lesrach

I came back to SWToR just resently and the game is very well live and kicking. And I had a good time levelling my second char to 50.

I also thought few months after launch when I left the game that "let it rot and die fast" but I started to miss SW-universe now that time passes and grabbed the only mmo option I new, again. To my suprise I had a blast. Strange thing what alive servers and time off can do to a game.

I feel so many here are still b-hurt that bioware didn't deliver SWG2 etc for them, I understand I was too. But SWToR is a good game for being a wow clone with new skin. What it sadly isn't is this deep Star Wars universe MMORPG, open, Sandbox, skillbased, housing with all planets alive, I could go on.

SWToR gives me nice leveling story, char-progression and pvping in Warzones every now and then and that it does well.

yep, and if this game wasn't star wars you would have left it in the dust.

The cartel store is a way to try and pay ransom to keep the SW IP alive with a game. Stockholm syndrome.  

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Come on man, i'm not saying the game is dead or anything, it still has it's fans and audience but owning 2013? Come on... :)
  • faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

Wow! SWTOR own 2013? Bad news bunky. They are still paying back the underwater mortgage from 2011 and 2012. SWTOR CAN'T release a massive boxed expansion. It cost too much to develop the game initially for which they got virtually pitance back in sales and subs. Some estimates put development costs at roughly a half a billion US dollars. Even a game that is doing reasonably well f2p cash shop can't dig out from under that anytime soon. Even a small expansion would mean dumping at least another $100 mil on top of that. (All those messy voice actors). And who do you think would provide 10's or hundreds of millions in financing for a SWTOR expansion pack at this point? Venture capitalists are starting to view MMO's (that aren't called WoW) like the plague. 

Right now there is nothing that the developers can do or propose or change that will have any impact good or bad on SWTOR. It is entirely in the realm of the accountants and business people. Does EA take a bigger hit by axing SWTOR and tanking Bioware's rep? VS what they can get back treating SWTOR as a tax right off? I don't believe there is any mathmatical way that SWTOR could turn a profit at this point. It's just in what way it ends up as a less damaging loss.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

SWToR's biggest most hyped feature is also its Acillics heel.  I don't know how much money it would cost to voice act another 10 levels for all the classes on both factions, but I doubt its a small number.

I think EA is looking for some short term profits, because they don't plan on keeping this game viable in the long run. That makes the most sense with how they have done ftp, this tiny upcoming expansion, the endless promises of "we are working on this or that...for the furture."

Some people are pointing to server numbers as if that equals $$$, but how many people are playing for free? How many out of those that do spend are spending more than 15 a month?

Is there enough people spending money to dig this game out of its hole and be appealing enough for EA to keep around?

I don't know, but I doubt it.