Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

yes! And that mod edit removed all of the comments about how it's unfortunate it's not a sandbox, because it would be nice if a sandbox could actually gain that sort of acclaim! :P

Sandbox Acclaim

If you'd like me to start linking news articles from international sources including BBC about it as well, I'd be happy to do so.  They mostly talk about character interaction, rather than "just pay the box fee" though, so not sure if that's what you want to hear.

Actually, I like to hear things like this and then think to myself about how sometimes it's nice to play a game where you don't have to worry about assholes.

i have yet to find that game.. although gw2 has been overall very friendly and the systems in place encourage people to work together not against eachother(outside pvp of course)

really? What types of assholes do you worry about it GW2?

There were those who intentionally lagged the game for others by going into high population areas - such as the broker, and casting as many effects as possible at once.  It was coordinated, and a large detriment to the FPS of those in the area.

So yeah, they are in GW2, and GW2 isn't perfection in online game form brought to us by the deities at arenanet.

LOL!!!!!!

Are you kidding me!!!  Did you actually try to use intentional lagging in a city area (you know the kind of place you can't even fight anything!)  when you are advocating a game that has condoned the use of ponzi schemes amongst it's players !?!

LOL

yeah, congrats on all your player interaction, and my sincerest apologies to those who might have accidently bought the wrong kind of dye due to lag caused by some terrible human beings.

EDIT: If your intent was just to get me laughing, I'm sorry for the sarcasm, because it honestly brought tears to my eyes.  And thank you.

heh, EVE has policies against intentionally degrading other users performance.  Guild Wars 2 hasn't "innovated" those yet.

But yeah, that was one example - players intentionally turning others experience into a slideshow.

So in Eve, it's ok to turn around and steal the efforts of months upon months of work from a player, which is ok, but don't cause lag because THAT is just mean.

LOL

And you seriously are trying to use that as a legitimate reason to complain about Anet?  Isn't that like forgiving the murderer while prosecuting the guy that farted in the elevator?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

So you think Guild Wars 2 is an inescapable fart?

Now we're seeing progress in your fanboyitis remission.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by mikahr

No, EvE didnt influence them, if EvE had any influence it would be, as you nicely put it, in 2004.

In the end GW2 brought MM back to MMO and that might be its big influence after opposites like WoW and its clones.

Ah, so you honestly think that a game cannot have any influence after the year a feature of it gets added?

I'll let you think that through and try again.  I'm all for second attempts at doing something well - kinda like Arenanet, and Aventurine.

So you think Guild Wars 2 is an inescapable fart?

Now we're seeing progress in your fanboyitis remission.

pssh. You're lack of knowledge about GW2 is really starting to show. They DO offer refunds ya know.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

It is not ALL DPS and that is where you are having issues.  With all of my characters I do a little but of it all. and you have to in GW2. If you went all DPS, you would besically be dead 95% of the time.

The trinity is simple-minded because ALL THE TANK DOES IS - DUH TANK, ETC. It is such a not complex game mechanic and that is why it first came out - it was the simplest type of game mechanic to create.

Good lord.  I'm tired of GW2 fans calling other game systems, and by extension the people that play and enjoy them, simple minded.  They seem to think that if we don't appreciate all the awesome greatness that is GW2 that somehow we're stupid or we "just don't get it".  Its insulting and annoying.  Stop it.

Comparitively the system is simpler, he isnt saying people playing trinity games are simpler, just that the system is.

Without the trinity, everyone needs to work as a team to be successful. Everyone has to defend other group members, everyone has to take turns of drawing the mobs ire, everyone has to contribute to damage (or just res zerg - which they are removing, and isnt the intentional way to play).

With the trinity if someone dies, its the healers fault for not healing, or the tanks fault for not holding aggro. Thats as complicated as it gets. Tanks taunt, healers heal, dps deal damage. Sure you can throw in some utility who buff, but that doesnt make it overly complicated.  

I appreciate that some people prefer to play the trinity, that they feel special for being the person that keeps other people alive, or holds aggro against high dps. My friend refuses to play any games where he cant be a healer because that is the role he likes. But lets call a spade a spade, trinity makes the game a lot simpler.

Another one.image

Look, if you and other people enjoy the way GW2 works, fine.  Awesome.  Good for you.  But please stop with the passive aggressive insults towards people that don't like it and enjoy something else.  And yes, he and other GW2 fans ARE saying people who enjoy the trinity are simple minded fools who are too stupid to "get" GW2.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

It is not ALL DPS and that is where you are having issues.  With all of my characters I do a little but of it all. and you have to in GW2. If you went all DPS, you would besically be dead 95% of the time.

The trinity is simple-minded because ALL THE TANK DOES IS - DUH TANK, ETC. It is such a not complex game mechanic and that is why it first came out - it was the simplest type of game mechanic to create.

Good lord.  I'm tired of GW2 fans calling other game systems, and by extension the people that play and enjoy them, simple minded.  They seem to think that if we don't appreciate all the awesome greatness that is GW2 that somehow we're stupid or we "just don't get it".  Its insulting and annoying.  Stop it.

Comparitively the system is simpler, he isnt saying people playing trinity games are simpler, just that the system is.

Without the trinity, everyone needs to work as a team to be successful. Everyone has to defend other group members, everyone has to take turns of drawing the mobs ire, everyone has to contribute to damage (or just res zerg - which they are removing, and isnt the intentional way to play).

With the trinity if someone dies, its the healers fault for not healing, or the tanks fault for not holding aggro. Thats as complicated as it gets. Tanks taunt, healers heal, dps deal damage. Sure you can throw in some utility who buff, but that doesnt make it overly complicated.  

I appreciate that some people prefer to play the trinity, that they feel special for being the person that keeps other people alive, or holds aggro against high dps. My friend refuses to play any games where he cant be a healer because that is the role he likes. But lets call a spade a spade, trinity makes the game a lot simpler.

Another one.image

Look, if you and other people enjoy the way GW2 works, fine.  Awesome.  Good for you.  But please stop with the passive aggressive insults towards people that don't like it and enjoy something else.  And yes, he and other GW2 fans ARE saying people who enjoy the trinity are simple minded fools who are too stupid to "get" GW2.

Do you feel the same frustration when people say the same sorts of things about GW2? "GW2 is dumbed down combat, by level 10 you have all the weapon skills you'll use the entire game!"  That sort of thing?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Look I don't know how influential GW2 really is going to be.  But I did see a Korean game trailer for a game called Black Desert the other day.  Now that trailer just screamed GW2 inspired.  You know the walking tree mobs?  Oh they're in there.  Not to mention the combat looks entirely ripped from the game. 

Despite this.....I watched the trailer like six times at this point.  I just loved it.  Here it is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

Now tell me that doesn't look a LOT like GW2.   As beautiful as it may look (which it really does, at least to me).  Anyways that's just one game, but I'd say GW2 is having some small influence on the genre at least to some small extent just based off that. 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Look I don't know how influential GW2 really is going to be.  But I did see a Korean game trailer for a game called Black Desert the other day.  Now that trailer just screamed GW2 inspired.  You know the walking tree mobs?  Oh they're in there.  Not to mention the combat looks entirely ripped from the game. 

Despite this.....I watched the trailer like six times at this point.  I just loved it.  Here it is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

Now tell me that doesn't look a LOT like GW2.   As beautiful as it may look (which it really does, at least to me).  Anyways that's just one game, but I'd say GW2 is having some small influence on the genre at least to some small extent just based off that. 

Considering the fact GW2 came out 4 months ago, I doubt that game was influenced by GW2.

I will say this, that trailer shows GW2 a lot better than the offical GW2 trailer we got. OH SNAP! :P

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

There should be no doubt that GW2 was the most influential mmorpg of 2012. 

As new game I could agree, if I count in expansions, wow is still 1st. Along with swtor that was released officially in 2011 at the end of year but was available in other countries only months later.

Originally posted by daltanious

There should be no doubt that GW2 was the most influential mmorpg of 2012. 

As new game I could agree, if I count in expansions, wow is still 1st. Along with swtor that was released officially in 2011 at the end of year but was available in other countries only months later.

I will admit, the MoP expansion was pretty influential. It influenced a bunch of people to quit playing WoW.

Another one.image

Do you feel the same frustration when people say the same sorts of things about GW2? "GW2 is dumbed down combat, by level 10 you have all the weapon skills you'll use the entire game!"  That sort of thing?

If someone calls a person dumb because they prefer  the game mechanics of GW2 over the trinity, then yes.  I'm just really tired of the passive aggresive insults GW2 fans have been spweing out towards people that prefer the trinity or whatever else people enjoy.  "You just don't get it" or "Have fun with your tired, outdated, simple minded MMO".  Low brow and classless.

BTW, by level 10, most people will probably have all the weapon skills.

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

Trinity is as simple as it gets.

Dont really see why that offends you that much. A bit overly defensive?

Actually, EVE had those since 2004 I believe.  Other games perhaps even earlier.  So nah, GW2 didn't influence those either.  "borrow" the ideas, perhaps.

No, EvE didnt influence them, if EvE had any influence it would be, as you nicely put it, in 2004.

In the end GW2 brought MM back to MMO and that might be its big influence after opposites like WoW and its clones.

There is nothing influential or MM about GW2. You have 5 abilities at a time that's not massive. You get a few people to beat down the same mob and get credit thats not massive or multipler since everyone goes their separate ways without a word to each other. The lower levels are massively empty, endgame is massively nonexistent. Lotro even has open world tagging its nothing new or influential about GW2.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by pioneer08

There is nothing influential or MM about GW2. You have 5 abilities at a time that's not massive. You get a few people to beat down the same mob and get credit thats not massive or multipler since everyone goes their separate ways without a word to each other. The lower levels are massively empty, endgame is massively nonexistent. Lotro even has open world tagging its nothing new or influential about GW2.

curious as to why you feel the need to spread lies about a game.. could care less if you think the game sucks or is garbage but why lie to make your point?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

curious as to why you feel the need to spread lies about a game.. could care less if you think the game sucks or is garbage but why lie to make your point?

And what would be a lie?
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Mmm, none of that makes sense.

Youd definately have more than 5 abilities.And in addition you can swap the on the fly! And that swapping is integral part of the game. But you actually have to play the game to know that.

Few players beating on a mob? 40-50-60. Its more massive than 99% of MMOs.

And you have a problem with definition of "massive". Check it out.

Endgame is plenty. Whole game as a matter of fact. Cant really be bigger that that, sorry.

LOTRO got open world tagging after GW2 (in RoR), so it was much influenced by GW2, sorry to dissapoint you again.

And what would be a lie?

if you tried the game you would know what and looks like most was already covered above

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

No, if I was to say the most influential game of 2012 would have been the success of EQ2:Extended, as it changed and brought about the greatest influx of F2P pay models in the industry.

I mean if we are truly going to talk about influencing change in the industry.

Its a pretty accurate description of the lower level experience minus, possibly, the empty areas of the map(I haven't played in months so I don't know if they are empty or not).  I can't say anything about end game as I didn't get any of my characters past 40.

Youd definately have more than 5 abilities. But you actually have to play the game to know that.

Endgame is plenty. Whole game as a matter of fact. Cant really be bigger that that, sorry.

LOTRO fot open world tagging after GW2 (in RoR), so it was much influenced by GW2, sorry to dissapoint you.

[mod edit]

you still have many more than 5 "AT A TIME" try the game

Youd definately have more than 5 abilities. But you actually have to play the game to know that.

LOTRO fot open world tagging after GW2 (in RoR), so it was much influenced by GW2, sorry to dissapoint you.

[mod edit]

How many action bars do you have? Ok yes you can switch weapons and then again how many action bars does that weapon have?

Trinity is as simple as it gets.

Dont really see why that offends you that much. A bit overly defensive?

Its not that saying the trinity is simple, its when GW2 fans use that to say that PEOPLE who enjoy  it are simple or stupid or "just don't get it" or whatever.  It happens frequently and needs to stop.  You can enjoy whatever game you like without insulting others who enjoy something else.

[mod edit]

How many action bars do you have? Ok yes you can switch weapons and then again how many action bars does that weapon have?

the basic setup gives you access to 15 abilities at a given time.. now depending on class and loadout you could easily have 20-40 at any given time.. my elementalist has access to 35 abilities in any single fight in my current build i could build my engineer to do the same.. 

[mod edit]

Without switching your weapons, you DO only have 5 weapon abilities at one time.  Some people like using a 2h sword with their characters and don't want to be forced to use a shield or 2h hammer to gain new abilities.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Without switching your weapons, you DO only have 5 weapon abilities at one time.  Some people like using a 2h sword with their characters and don't want to be forced to use a shield or 2h hammer to gain new abilities.

Who said anything weapon abilities? Even you know that you have MORE than 5 abilities at ANY given time.

Nice try, but he is just a bit too obvious

Some people dont want >than 1 quickbar, does that mean they are limited only on abilities currently on their quickbar (in any game)?

Some people want to play on lower level, but using that as an argument? lol

[mod edit]

the basic setup gives you access to 15 abilities at a given time.. now depending on class and loadout you could easily have 20-40 at any given time.. my elementalist has access to 35 abilities in any single fight in my current build i could build my engineer to do the same.. 

The basic setup does not give you 15 action bars. Now who is lying?