Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Was gw2 the most influencial MMO? NO, here is why: What is the next Big MMO coming? TESO,  There is something like GW2 in that game, or GW2 influence?. NO.  Even better, we will have gw2 influence in the  MMOs coming this year, and the next one?, NO, i wonder why.  

What makes you say there is nothing in TESO like GW2? I've noticed that TESO is now hyping "Dynamic Events",  players getting their own rewards for events/kills that players cooperate on and GW2 style resource nodes. There isn't much info on TESO, but in what we do know there are already at least those three freatures borrowed from GW2. I'll bet you there will be many more, major and minor, by the time the game launches.

Misinformation or ignorance? I've given up trying to discern, but the number of such posts is discouraging.

(BTW, If they can pull it off, TESO may match the GW2 Manifesto better than GW2 did on persistance of player influence. It looks like they are combining Dynamic Events with Phasing so that if players "save a village" it remains saved and the villagers celibrate the PC on return. I have mixed feelings about the approach, but it has potential to be awesome. It should be clear, though, that it's yet another thing that GW2 inspired.).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Was gw2 the most influencial MMO? NO, here is why: What is the next Big MMO coming? TESO,  There is something like GW2 in that game, or GW2 influence?. NO.  Even better, we will have gw2 influence in the  MMOs coming this year, and the next one?, NO, i wonder why.  

In the last 12 days you've posted about GW2  a total of 8 times, and all other games a total of 7 times.  I'd say that GW2 is affecting you. You're feeling it's influence.  If it was an insignificant game, you wouldn't even be posting. You're here because it's true. Thanks for proving my point.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by bcbully

You see my sig? That's a quote from OP...

Anet found a message for a market of people like OP. Good for Anet, good for OP. 

I pray this is not he direction of mmorpgs though, and by the looks of the 2013 mmorpg lineup it will not be.

can I quote you in my sig?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

I know, you'll google later and see how wrong you were...

It's not all-dps... it's all-cc/dps with everything else you can combine if you're good enough to do it.

The skills you have can be combined to achieve even powerful skill combos and as such you actually need to learn how to use the skills in proper moments to get most out of your class to help the group.

It's far more complex when everyone in the party has to be mindfull of the enviroment, aware enough not to make mistakes which can cost your group a repair bill and skilled enough to combine attacks in order to achieve maximum.

Now, do you see where the complexity lies in?

my mesmer can pull off some incredible feats playing mostly support.. flexability in this game is key to enjoying the combat imho.. if you just play dps you probably will get bored..

agreed.

Mesmer is my only max lvl and is nearly my favorite class in any MMO that i have ever played. i use dual wield swords, then switch to staff when i need the range and more defenses.

i've been on a break, but that just makes it all the better when i go back.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by bcbully

You see my sig? That's a quote from OP...

Anet found a message for a market of people like OP. Good for Anet, good for OP. 

I pray this is not he direction of mmorpgs though, and by the looks of the 2013 mmorpg lineup it will not be.

curious how it's not? we got lots of action oriented themeparks headed are way such as wildstar, ESO, Neverwinter, Blade & Soul.. and I'm sure i'm missing one or two

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Yes it s so influential, it s starting to add a WOW endgame. Good lord, OP, you like the game, why yap about it non stop. It s just a game after all.
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Yes it s so influential, it s starting to add a WOW endgame. Good lord, OP, you like the game, why yap about it non stop. It s just a game after all.

Well, you get points for irony, I'll give you that!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Really? Since when WoW has WvWvW? Dynamic events? Level scaling for open world? Open tapping? BIS gear on AH or any game activity?

Now i see it! It TOTALLY copied WoW! And its ADDING MORE! RUN!

I havent stepped in a dungeon yet and im 80 for a loooong time now, and im all about endgame I dont really know how my experience could be more different than WoW rofl

Well, to be honest, some times people ask me questions like you did, so I answer.  Should I be talking about games that I don't like? The folks in the TSW forums would disagree with that.

Anyhow, I'm assuming that when you're talking about the WOW endgame it's a "Holycrap!" type of WOW, and not a "World of Warcraft" type of WoW, because if it WAS the latter, it would imply you know nothing of the game except what you read from trolls in the forums.  And that would imply that I really need to share the truth more often.

So which is it?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Well, to be honest, some times people ask me questions like you did, so I answer.  Should I be talking about games that I don't like? The folks in the TSW forums would disagree with that.

Anyhow, I'm assuming that when you're talking about the WOW endgame it's a "Holycrap!" type of WOW, and not a "World of Warcraft" type of WoW, because if it WAS the latter, it would imply you know nothing of the game except what you read from trolls in the forums.  And that would imply that I really need to share the truth more often.

So which is it?

As I levelled up in GW2 I kept upgrading my weapons and armor to ones with higher stats.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    It's not that the game is all that influential that generates so much discussion, rather it's just such an easy target.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by kadepsyson

So which is it?

As I levelled up in GW2 I kept upgrading my weapons and armor to ones with higher stats.

So does that mean that the GW2 manifesto was right, and the entire game IS endgame?

What has GW2 influenced?  like at all?

And if you say people talking about it, I will laugh in your face as you'd have just called The War Z more influential.

So does that mean that the GW2 manifesto was right, and the entire game IS endgame?

If I upgrade all throughout the levels, until I find the best stats weapon I can find at max level, will I be able to go back to the beginner zone and find a better version to replace it?

In other words, no.

There is a lot in the manifesto video that borders on lies.  Especially the parts regarding grinding, boss respawns, permanent changes, towns staying saved, etc.

And if you say people talking about it, I will laugh in your face as you'd have just called The War Z more influential.

i said it on the first page of this thread but to me one of the biggest things is it showed a AAA MMO can release as B2P and still roll out monthly content updates.. i can't think of a single other MMO that has released content patches this fast not even Rift did.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

i said it on the first page of this thread but to me one of the biggest things is it showed a AAA MMO can release as B2P and still roll out monthly content updates.. i can't think of a single other MMO that has released content patches this fast not even Rift did.

So it did something well.  Now, tell me what it has influenced?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

AC had/has Monthly content updates .. long long ago, .. And as i said before UO had/has o threat/taunt mechaic 15 years ago .. so 2 more GW2 myths ....debunked

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

GW2, first mmo with no trinity!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Magic!

perhaps OP should of worded a little differn't i would say GW2 will be the most influential MMO released in 2012 moving forward into 2013.. while GW2 has it's shortcomings it does plenty of things very well that will influence games in the future.... like pretty much every game that does well others will look to it and see what it did well.. my hopes is they expand on what GW2 does well and learn from what doesn't do so well

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by fiontar 

What makes you say there is nothing in TESO like GW2? I've noticed that TESO is now hyping "Dynamic Events",  players getting their own rewards for events/kills that players cooperate on and GW2 style resource nodes. There isn't much info on TESO, but in what we do know there are already at least those three freatures borrowed from GW2. I'll bet you there will be many more, major and minor, by the time the game launches.

Misinformation or ignorance? I've given up trying to discern, but the number of such posts is discouraging.

(BTW, If they can pull it off, TESO may match the GW2 Manifesto better than GW2 did on persistance of player influence. It looks like they are combining Dynamic Events with Phasing so that if players "save a village" it remains saved and the villagers celibrate the PC on return. I have mixed feelings about the approach, but it has potential to be awesome. It should be clear, though, that it's yet another thing that GW2 inspired.).

I must say though saying TESO is GW2 inspired is much like saying EQ2 was WOW inspired, we're talking about systems that would require quite a bit of devlopment time. IS a few months after release enough time to conceptualize these ideas as well as develop them? The game is entering beta soon. Very similar to EQ2 and WOW's launch cycling.

MMO development is largely a game of cat and mouse, Concepts are always following trends in the industry, what was a common complaint/request 5 years ago? "Two factions suck we need three or more" Hence the DAOC influence in more than just GW2. "Static quest hubs suck, we need more believable world's/NPC's" hence new approaches to content, AOC, SWTOR, TSW, GW2, TESO etc....

This is a tech industry this is how things work in that environment.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Scorchien

AC had/has Monthly content updates .. long long ago, .. And as i said before UO had/has o threat/taunt mechaic 15 years ago .. so 2 more GW2 myths ....debunked

i remember paying a monthly sub for AC at launch.. or am i mistaken?

perhaps OP should of worded a little differn't i would say GW2 will be the most influential MMO released in 2012 moving forward into 2013.. while GW2 has it's shortcomings it does plenty of things very well that will influence games in the future.... like pretty much every game that does well others will look to it and see what it did well.. my hopes is they expand on what GW2 does well and learn from what doesn't do so well

Now that, is much more reasonable.

I can agree that it is possible Guild Wars 2 will become the most influential MMO to have released in 2012.

I think it is very poor reasoning of the OP to make it seem it already is the most influential game that was around in the year 2012.

Then again, fanboys say a ton of stuff that has no reason or thought behind it, and is completely wrong, so this is nothing new.

Had he instead listed reasons why he thought Guild Wars 2 could go on to influence other future games, that would have been a much smarter thing to write about.

Now that, is much more reasonable.

I can agree that it is possible Guild Wars 2 will become the most influential MMO to have released in 2012.

I think it is very poor reasoning of the OP to make it seem it already is the most influential game that was around in the year 2012.

Then again, fanboys say a ton of stuff that has no reason or thought behind it, and is completely wrong, so this is nothing new.

Had he instead listed reasons why he thought Guild Wars 2 could go on to influence other future games, that would have been a much smarter thing to write about.

I agree that Aerowyn is much more reasonable.

I also agree that it is possible Guild Wars 2 will become the most influential MMO to have released in 2012.

I also agree that fanboys say a ton of stuff that has no reason or thought behind it, and is completely wrong.

However, your perception of what I wrote is nothing more than an interpretation, and an inaccurate one at that. I could have, however, titled it in a more suitable way to express my point, but I'm currently analyzing relative inaccuracies and the resulting effects on the hive mind, and therefore it seems like a more beneficial miscalculation than detrimental.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by fiontar 

I must say though saying TESO is GW2 inspired is much like saying EQ2 was WOW inspired, we're talking about systems that would require quite a bit of devlopment time. IS a few months after release enough time to conceptualize these ideas as well as develop them? The game is entering beta soon. Very similar to EQ2 and WOW's launch cycling.

MMO development is largely a game of cat and mouse, Concepts are always following trends in the industry, what was a common complaint/request 5 years ago? "Two factions suck we need three or more" Hence the DAOC influence in more than just GW2. "Static quest hubs suck, we need more believable world's/NPC's" hence new approaches to content, AOC, SWTOR, TSW, GW2, TESO etc....

This is a tech industry this is how things work in that environment.

Part of it is the technology required to make it work in a permanent online environment.

If we look at MMORPGs, MMORPGs at general, are much cruder than single player RPG and FPS in terms of AI, physics engines, etc, and those things are finally start to catch up.

What I think will be influenced by GW2 the most is the financial model (with a so far inoffensive cash shop) and all the little things that make the gaming experience so much more enjoyable, like sending crafting item straight to the bank, crafting from there, send and receive mail instantly from everywhere, the shared resources and enemies, the no roll to loot, etc.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

Well in trinity, you could say roles are set in stone and that makes it incredibly simple concept.

Or I will give you better example. Go play wow dungeon with 5 dps classes. You will see outright how much more complicated it becomes all of a sudden. Btw back in the days we often played 4 dps + healer or 4 dps + tank and it was great fun :)