Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

1141516171820»

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Leucent

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182894/More_NCsoft_layoffs_this_time_in_Seattle.php

Except ANet expended their team and are still hiring. Fail post is fail post.

Inform yourself better next time, ANet is not NCSoft.

AND you have NCSofts financial results which just makes you one very poorly informed individual.

• CelerasCeleras Member UncommonPosts: 93

Guild Wars 2 built an entire game off dynamic events. That alone makes it the most influential game of the generation, considering every other game on the market is either "follow the exclamation points" or similar events on a much smaller scale.

You don't have to agree with the shift to recognize its signficance. If you enjoy fetch quests and floating punctuation on people's heads, more power to you. I even know people who didn't like GW2's lack of trinity due to the extreme feeling of accountability in dungeons. You die; you played poorly. Nobody to crutch on, nobody to blame. That's called an opinion.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by eyelolled

There should be no doubt that GW2 was the most influential mmorpg of 2012. Many people were talking about how the game is evolutionary, and a welcome breath of fresh air to the genre. It's won multiple awards like IGN's Best PC Game, IGN's Best PC MMO game, IGN's Best PC Graphics, Massively's Best MMO of 2012, MMORPG.com Most Innovative, Gamespots PC game of the year, Time' s #1 game of the year, and more recently PCGamer's MMO of the Year! There is no denying that GW2 has grabbed a lot of attention, and the loyal fanbase is growing each and every day!

GW2 is the most talked about game on this site still, even after almost 5 months since release. It's the most talked about game this week, and the most talked about game this month. GW2 has more than 3 times as many hits as the next closest game over the last 6 months, and more than 3 times as many hits as the next closest game over the last year.

[mod edit] [My edit to maintain paragraph integrity - Some people post negatively about GW2 yet,] I want to thank them too. They really prove how influential the game is. People don't write and talk about meaningless things of little importance. People write and talk  about things that affect them or concern them. Each and every thread, each and every reply is another hit on the popularity scale for GW2.

Each post is a testiment to the influence that GW2 has within the genre, even if it is a hate post. This game IS the game worth talking about, and when developers are looking for what games to follow into the future, the most talked about game is a good choice.  I look forward to a brilliant future for mmorpg's, with GW2 lighting the way.

EDIT: And if you feel like arguing with me, and telling me I'm wrong, or if you feel like telling me how much you like the game. Keep on speaking. Keep on saying how you feel and lets keep GW2 leading the way through 2013!!!

Yes, yes, yes. Oh wait, no. Now that I think of it...GW2 is not even an MMORPG to begin with plus the features it has have been there already in other games of the past. Nope, I'll have to disagree here.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Guild Wars 2 will not be that influential. All it did was take ideas from other MMO's and implemented into their own game. As far as hearts goes it's basically the same thing is gonna go kill 10 rats collect 5 skeletons it's all the same.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Sodahz
    Guild Wars 2 will not be that influential. All it did was take ideas from other MMO's and implemented into their own game. As far as hearts goes it's basically the same thing is gonna go kill 10 rats collect 5 skeletons it's all the same.

so like wow you mean? the most influential(good or bad depending how you look at it) MMO out there?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

so like wow you mean? the most influential(good or bad depending how you look at it) MMO out there?

I think the difference is that WOW (vanilla) genuinely refined the mmo experience and made a template to be copied, whereas  GW2 over-simplified it.  

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

I think the difference is that WOW (vanilla) genuinely refined the mmo experience and made a template to be copied, whereas  GW2 over-simplified it.  

in your opinion.. but mine is it took all the things that made MMOs frustrating like kill stealing, node stealing, uncooperative questing, holy trinity, static feeling worlds, level scaling  and refined that into a cooperative and fun gaming experience unlike any MMO that has come out before.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Because a thread like this, with its obviously controversial title and clearly bias OP, is clearly looking for a well-rounded argument and not just a circle jerk of like-minded individuals. Isn't that what the GW2 forums are for? 

I don't recall any MMO devs who've directly accredited ArenaNet / GW2 as their source of inspiration, like many still do for World of Warcraft. A lot of people in this thread act like, because a game has one or two similar features, that they directly took it from GW2 (which, let's be honest, has done NOTHING original and ONLY adapted already established mechanics) while never even considering that - just maybe - the companies have had these ideas since development began.

MMOs aren't made in a matter of minutes. GW2 hasn't been out long enough to call it the most influential anything. Period.

This topic is just a bunch of hopes and well-wishes - and a lot of flaming back and fourth. I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Not sure why the GW2 hype didn't catch me. I kept hearing it's the Jesus of all mmorpgs but I really didn't see what all that noise was. It was fun game for a moment but didn't really get it's hooks on me. It just felt like any other average mmorpg, maybe I was just expecting something more.

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I love GW2 greatly and really hope it gets fixed soon. Im gona give it 2-6 months and see if this inovative game will be worth playing. But at least we can say its inovative.
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by MightyChasm

in your opinion.. but mine is it took all the things that made MMOs frustrating like kill stealing, node stealing, uncooperative questing, holy trinity, static feeling worlds, level scaling  and refined that into a cooperative and fun gaming experience unlike any MMO that has come out before.

'I think' surely connotes opinion.  But regardless, of course it is my opinion, who elses would it be? I am not stating any facts and neither am I bipolar.

But anyway, think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.