Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Leucent

It s actually the nature of them more then the amount. My bad. Most influential etc, You re clearly trying to stir shit up, as opposed  to just discussing the game.

Are you sure that the problem isn't just that you don't like GW2?  I mean seriously, is there another game from 2012 that would deserve that prop? Is it such a terrible thing that I give a game I like the props I feel it deserves?

I think you are really trying to stir shit up, over actually talking about a game you like. It s obvious.

I think what's obvious, is that it bothers you that someone would feel that way about GW2. Remember, I'm not the one posting in a thread about a game I don't like.

This is where you re wrong. What bugs me is the obvious baiting titles. I mean come on, most influential game of .... isn t going to stir up some people, which it obviously has. A big difference would have been "I THINK" GW2 is the most....., and honestly I could care less if you like GW2.

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

It s actually the nature of them more then the amount. My bad. Most influential etc, You re clearly trying to stir shit up, as opposed  to just discussing the game.

Are you sure that the problem isn't just that you don't like GW2?  I mean seriously, is there another game from 2012 that would deserve that prop? Is it such a terrible thing that I give a game I like the props I feel it deserves?

No game in 2012 or 2011 or 2010 has been influential. To even think gw2 has anything influential is ignorant and naive. If you want to say i think gw2 is a good game that's fine no problem there but to try and put it on some almighty most influential game is a joke.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I think that GW2 was definitely influential. Seeing how antisocial is the whole game, and all that "heart grinding" together with the "no trinity" fiasco, I doubt anyone will ever again try to touch those concepts with a 10 meter pole. Just like when in a rainy Nascar race one car switches to dry tires too early and slides to a crash against the wall - was it the most influencial car at that moment? Indeed, it influenced all the other cars so much that they will be clever and not repeat the same mistake.

From a spectator's point of view, it's even funny to see it when it happens to the more overhyped and expensive car.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think you are really trying to stir shit up, over actually talking about a game you like. It s obvious.

I think what's obvious, is that it bothers you that someone would feel that way about GW2. Remember, I'm not the one posting in a thread about a game I don't like.

This is where you re wrong. What bugs me is the obvious baiting titles. I mean come on, most influential game of .... isn t going to stir up some people, which it obviously has. A big difference would have been "I THINK" GW2 is the most....., and honestly I could care less if you like GW2.

I will admit I did make a bit of a mistake. What I really meant to say is "I think what's obvious, is that it bothers you that someone would post that way about GW2."

Anyhow, there are all sorts of people that are on both sides of the fence with this one. Some people agree, and some don't.  If the thread was about a game you enjoyed you wouldn't be complaining and someone else would be. 

I think the thread is fair and valid, and I even put a thank you in the original post for all the negative opinions. I really think I am being more than fair with this.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I think that GW2 was definitely influential. Seeing how antisocial is the whole game, and all that "heart grinding" together with the "no trinity" fiasco, I doubt anyone will ever again try to touch those concepts with a 10 meter pole. Just like when in a rainy Nascar race one car switches to dry tires too early and slides to a crash against the wall - was it the most influencial car at that moment? Indeed, it influenced all the other cars so much that they will be clever and not repeat the same mistake.

From a spectator's point of view, it's even funny to see it when it happens to the more overhyped and expensive car.

you forgot to mention how much it influenced the wall !

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

If GW2 is the most influential MMO of 2012 then World of Warcraft must be the most influential MMO in the last decade.

I don't really agree with either.

GW2 had very little competition at all, Swtor maybe? But that was 2011.

It's easy to win a race when you're the only one running.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Malacth

If GW2 is the most influential MMO of 2012 then World of Warcraft must be the most influential MMO in the last decade.

if you don't see that as a fact i really am at a loss of words.. hate it or love it i can't see how anyone could argue wow is not the most influencial MMO of the last decade

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by pioneer08
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

if you don't see that as a fact i really am at a loss of words.. hate it or love it i can't see how anyone could argue wow is not the most influencial MMO of the last decade

[mod edit]

and you know this as fact? you know for a fact TSW b2p conversion wasn't influenced at all by GW2 or TERAs upcomming conversion either.. also if it were me I would of titled the thread GW2 WILL be the most influencial of 2012 but either way i don't see any other game last year taking that spot.. i also don't go around putting slandering labels on people just because they differ in opinion than me.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I think Warcraft is incorporating a jumping puzzle into their next patch. 

Not sure if you'll need to be exalted with every faction in the game, and do 500 dailies, and run every dungeon/raid/BG,  to take part in it or not though.

[mod edit]

and you know this as fact? you know for a fact TSW b2p conversion wasn't influenced at all by GW2 or TERAs upcomming conversion either.. also if it were me I would of titled the thread GW2 WILL be the most influencial of 2012 but either way i don't see any other game last year taking that spot.. i also don't go around putting slandering labels on people just because they differ in opinion than me.

[mod edit]

you can go all the way back to near start of this thread i said originally he should of worded the title better so try again.. again OP and many others believe GW2 is a very influencial game and will influence future games.. sorry if you think that's so unbelievable to you.. [mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

you can go all the way back to near start of this thread i said originally he should of worded the title better so try again.. again OP and many others believe GW2 is a very influencial game and will influence future games.. sorry if you think that's so unbelievable to you.. [mod edit]

[mod edit]

i posted in those forums in one thread in the past how many months? and i posted in there to get help from people playing and ask a question not bash the game so how about you get off your high horse there...feel free to check my history.

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Not sure if you'll need to be exalted with every faction in the game, and do 500 dailies, and run every dungeon/raid/BG,  to take part in it or not though.

Lol, GW2 was not the first with jumping puzzles. AC had them, WAR had them, SWTOR had them off the top of my head.

[mod edit]

same thread go ahead and check i said if they used a better engine they wouldn't have issue with upping the graphics quality and worrying as much about performance hardly bashing the game as a whole.. i can appreciate people enjoy the game and im not so high and mighty that I can't see others may have a very differn't view of a game..

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

[mod edit]

same thread go ahead and check i said if they used a better engine they wouldn't have issue with upping the graphics quality and worrying as much about performance hardly bashing the game as a whole.. i can appreciate people enjoy the game and im not so high and mighty that I can't see others may have a very differn't view of a game..

Exactly look at my history ive stayed away from gw2 post until this one I couldn't help but chime in. I have no issues with you enjoying gw2 I enjoyed it for more than 5 sec and I never thought of gouging my eyes out. I did lose interest and stopped playing. I played enough of the game to know its not close to influential. Because it didnt bring anything new to mmos. Ive already enlightened my thoughts as to why gw2 is not influential in any way especially in games that have been in development for years as you have tried to claim.

Lol, GW2 was not the first with jumping puzzles. AC had them, WAR had them, SWTOR had them off the top of my head.

Oh? So Asheron's Call had jumping puzzles, RvR, sPvP, multiple tiered storylines, Dynamic Events, monthly content updates including map expansions, exploration completion goals, mini-games, personal resource nodes, combo fields, shared experience and loot on OW mobs, underwater combat, and running software that allows the developers to patch them on the fly, including the implimentation of new content. (sorry for the excessive amount of comma's in that sentence)

No, it wasn't AC. It wasn't AoC. It wasn't Aion. It wasn't WoW. It wasn't DAOC. It wasn't SWG. It wasn't SWTOR. It wasn't any of them.

It was GW2.

EDIT: I know it's the same post in both threads, but it was meant to be here, not in the other thread. My bad.

Oh? So Asheron's Call had jumping puzzles, RvR, sPvP, multiple tiered storylines, Dynamic Events, monthly content updates including map expansions, exploration completion goals, mini-games, personal resource nodes, combo fields, shared experience and loot on OW mobs, underwater combat, and running software that allows the developers to patch them on the fly, including the implimentation of new content. (sorry for the excessive amount of comma's in that sentence)

No, it wasn't AC. It wasn't AoC. It wasn't Aion. It wasn't WoW. It wasn't DAOC. It wasn't SWG. It wasn't SWTOR. It wasn't any of them.

It was GW2.

EDIT: I know it's the same post in both threads, but it was meant to be here, not in the other thread. My bad.

you forgot one of the #1 rules of these forums if someone doesn't enjoy any said feature in any particular game then it doesn't exist or isn't relavent :)

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by pedrostrik
    Originally posted by nate1980

Honestly, until I logged onto this website just now and perused the most recent posts, I completely forgot GW2 even existed. I've been happily playing SWTOR since October, and much prefer that game over GW2. I initially had high hopes for GW2 being my next MMORPG home, especially since it was promising an open world (something their previous game did not have) and being B2P. However, what I learned is that several of the games features were not for me, and God help me if future MMORPG's start copying them.

1. Earning all your skills within the first 7 levels. Great, now you're using the same exact skills and spells from lvl 7 all the way to level cap. Nothing new, just the same old skills over and over again. Extremely boring, and no feeling of advancement. Those utility skills and elite just weren't used enough in your everday combat situations to warrant even mentioning. 

2. Level scaling. Another idea that looked great on paper, but ended up sucking the enjoyment out of the leveling process. Instead of feeling like you gained strenth with each level, you felt the same the entire leveling process. Add to that the lack of learning new abilities, and it fealt like I never advanced in power the entire time I played. I love the journey and the leveling experience. It's 1 of the 2 reasons I play RPG's to begin with.

3. No trinity. Organized groups just felt like chaos. It felt nothing like a fight that would play out in a fantasy novel. I do enjoy definitive group roles, and it didn't feel like GW2 had any. I'm not saying the holy trinity is the right answer either, but GW2's solution is worse.

4. WvWvW. Everyone including me thought this would be like DAoC. Instead, it was the worse incarnation of RvR I've ever had the displeasure of being apart of. Travel times were through the roof, the community didn't cooperate, servers didn't band together and fight the stronger server (like in DAoC), ranged trumped all, and I could go on and on. 

5. Dungeons. When an experienced and smart player goes into a dungeon and gets his ass handed to him over and over again, there's something wrong with the game design. The lack of roles pretty much made it to where if you got targeted at all by more than 1 mob, you were toast. It was just choas.

6. The other major thing to draw me to the game were DE's. When the developers hyped up the DE's, they said the DE's were random, and would change the landscape, such as take over towns, grow an army, further invasions etc. Instead, the DE's were so predictable people were botting them. Because you often didn't join a DE in the beginning, you had no idea why you were doing what you were doing, so all the DE's started feeling the same. The idea of public groups was great, but what we got was a bunch of soloers AOE'ing the crap out of everything, so people had no idea what was going on. No one talked at all either. 

I'm sure there's more, but we get the picture, I wasn't impressed with the game and didn't stick around for more than a few weeks. Now I'm hearing ESO is copying some ideas from GW2 and I'm sure it won't be the last to copy ideas from it. I see this as horrible news, as I further get alienated out of this genre. First it was WoW, now it's GW2.

1. its very wrong, at L7 you dont get all skills (L30)

2. as L80 i feel really powerful (well full exotics helped)

3.felt like chaos to people who haves no clue about the game

4.best WxWxW ever made but need nice voicechat guilds coordination, here lots of times half numbers organizated wins to double chaotic zergs

5.Last times i did instances everything its clear and no one dies (zero wipes), needs learning curve ofc

6. DE's are not perfect but still 1000's times better than old crappy ! -? hub quests.

conclusion i think you never tried hard to play this game , and the GW2 its not for all, so no worries.

I hate the way these threads run. One person wil list all the reasons they hate a game, over exaggerating lots of points then someone else will comment on it saying point by point why each of their points is wrong, even if the first person has made even 1 or 2 logical points the person replying will make up some excuse which is 100% rubbish as to why those points are wrong. Unfortunately in this case the original poster is talking out his ass most of the time and although I'm not a fan of gw2 most of his points are rubbish.

WvWvW works really well ( for people who actually like pvp) I actually found dungeons a little too easy tbh, and lack of trinity was something I didnt like but it was only 'chaos' the first time you went into a dungeon. After that you learned how they worked and they got alot better, however there was just something getting at m about them tat I couldn't get over and I can't think what it is. 

Number 2 and 6 together forms the one thing that really annoyed me about gw2. Dynamic events had their flaws in terms of repeating a little too quickyly, however the thing that annoyed me about them is that sinse the game is designed so that you can go back to prior content and experience the dynamic events etc. However you cant do any of the dynamic events in the early zones because they require more than 1 person doing the event for most events. And I was the only one in the zon when I went back to alot of prev ious zones/ made new characters. They should have made them all truly scale with the amount of people there (as they did with some but even them requires a certain number of people to do). DEs are actually a really neat idea and I just wish you could do them if there isnt anyone else around (you can do some but not very many).

Originally posted by ereyethirn

I hate the way these threads run. One person wil list all the reasons they hate a game, over exaggerating lots of points then someone else will comment on it saying point by point why each of their points is wrong, even if the first person has made even 1 or 2 logical points the person replying will make up some excuse which is 100% rubbish as to why those points are wrong. Unfortunately in this case the original poster is talking out his ass most of the time and although I'm not a fan of gw2 most of his points are rubbish.

WvWvW works really well ( for people who actually like pvp) I actually found dungeons a little too easy tbh, and lack of trinity was something I didnt like but it was only 'chaos' the first time you went into a dungeon. After that you learned how they worked and they got alot better, however there was just something getting at m about them tat I couldn't get over and I can't think what it is. 

Number 2 and 6 together forms the one thing that really annoyed me about gw2. Dynamic events had their flaws in terms of repeating a little too quickyly, however the thing that annoyed me about them is that sinse the game is designed so that you can go back to prior content and experience the dynamic events etc. However you cant do any of the dynamic events in the early zones because they require more than 1 person doing the event for most events. And I was the only one in the zon when I went back to alot of prev ious zones/ made new characters. They should have made them all truly scale with the amount of people there (as they did with some but even them requires a certain number of people to do). DEs are actually a really neat idea and I just wish you could do them if there isnt anyone else around (you can do some but not very many).

most DEs CAN be completed alone.. not sure what you mean only ones that "require" more than 1 person are the ones labeled group events and even some of those can be soloed by a skilled player.. also you are talking about going back and doing previous content when you are higher level and you downscale it's still even easier to do events solo.. i'm still very confused by your statement there.

It was GW2.

Yes, GW2 put those features into one MMO frst, but does that really make it inflential? 

GW2 was not the first MMO to introduce any of those said features.

It will be influential, like all MMO's are when they're newly released, the next game will take a few concepts and ideas, but this happens every year. 

I agree GW2 was 2012's most influential game, but like I said earlier, its easy to win a race when you're the only one running.

A new MMO will be 2013's most influential MMO, and the cycle will continue on year after year, as it always has. GW2 is not the god game that will change this sadly.

It was GW2.

Yes, GW2 put those features into one MMO frst, but does that really make it inflential? 

It will be influential, like all MMO's are when they're newly released, the next game will take a few concepts and ideas, but this happens every year. 

I agree GW2 was 2012's most influential game, but like I said earlier, its easy to win a race when you're the only one running.

A new MMO will be 2013's most influential MMO, and the cycle will continue on year after year, as it always has. GW2 is not the god game that will change this sadly.

I never said it was the god game. I said it was the most influential game of 2012.  I also said that I wanted to see it be the same in 2013.

AND GW2 is the FIRST and THE ONLY mmo to be able to update their servers on the fly.

It was GW2.

who said it was? out of the about 7 MMOs im looking forward to in 2013 i sure hope one is a better game overall. GW2 to me is a great game and the best themepark currently out but there is a ton of room for improvement in many many aspects. 2013 looks like its shaping up to be a great year for MMOs. Oh also GW2 was hardly the only horse on the track last year

It was GW2.

you forgot one of the #1 rules of these forums if someone doesn't enjoy any said feature in any particular game then it doesn't exist or isn't relavent :)

I was simply commenting on the JUMPING PUZZLES comment, obviously. I m really starting to think the few of you rabid fanbois left are really grasping at straws, freaking out over every little thing. It s just a game, get a little bit of a life, and stop taking it so serious.

It was GW2.

who said it was? out of the about 7 MMOs im looking forward to in 2013 i sure hope one is a better game overall. GW2 to me is a great game and the best themepark currently out but there is a ton of room for improvement in many many aspects. 2013 looks like its shaping up to be a great year for MMOs. Oh also GW2 was hardly the only horse on the track last year

Just out of curiosity - who else was racing with GW2?

Swtor was 2011, but okay, I'll let you have that one. The Secret World too. I can't think of a single other AAA MMO last year.

It was GW2.

Just out of curiosity - who else was racing with GW2?

Swtor was 2011, but okay, I'll let you have that one. The Secret World too. I can't think of a single other AAA MMO last year.

TERA as well as PS2... you could almost say swtor was 2012... so thats 3 or 4 other big names

It was GW2.

I was simply commenting on the JUMPING PUZZLES comment, obviously. I m really starting to think the few of you rabid fanbois left are really grasping at straws, freaking out over every little thing. It s just a game, get a little bit of a life, and stop taking it so serious.

I know. You were simply picking out one small portion of the game and pointing out that GW2 wasn't the first with it. 

Just as an FYI, you weren't the first person to do that in this thread.

And sorry if I sounded hostile by listing off a bunch of components about GW2 at once. I never realized how angry it sounds to say THAT many things in a row.  My apologies