Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Gw2 us clearly the most influential fame of 2013, if only by default. Number 1 factor is a model where a high budget aaa mmorg was free to play from day 1. Ofc other development houses are going to be influenced by this and ourselves as consumers. If we know now that a free to play model is viable we are going to be thinking very carefully about future sub games at £100+ a year plus box cost.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

He said "most influential of 2012"... Fankly I dont see Tera or TSW beating it there (and Tera really released in 2011 anyways, we just got a translation with some wesernization).

Not a hard competition really. You are right that there is a lot undecided how influential the game will be but I think it will prove once and for all that you can make a B2P AAA MMO which many have doubted.

If devs will copy other stuff is really not something we will truly see until a few years from now.

The only real competition for this title GW2 have is from "Pirates 101".

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Good single player game but it proved that MMOs are not evolving they are just becoming action adventures and missing completely on what MMOs are meant to be. There is no winning this agrument on this site of casual gamers.

MMOs existed from 1998 - 2004 after that is has just be crap after crap and now being a MMO player since the first release I don't even give a fuck if they make another because is will be as bad as GW2 or any other game you want to place it with.

Even the good asian games I am not allowed to play until they are dumbed down for NA. Wake up people and see that we are poor gamers in NA if this is what needs to be done to sell good games in our country.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by nate1980

Honestly, until I logged onto this website just now and perused the most recent posts, I completely forgot GW2 even existed. I've been happily playing SWTOR since October, and much prefer that game over GW2. I initially had high hopes for GW2 being my next MMORPG home, especially since it was promising an open world (something their previous game did not have) and being B2P. However, what I learned is that several of the games features were not for me, and God help me if future MMORPG's start copying them.

1. Earning all your skills within the first 7 levels. Great, now you're using the same exact skills and spells from lvl 7 all the way to level cap. Nothing new, just the same old skills over and over again. Extremely boring, and no feeling of advancement. Those utility skills and elite just weren't used enough in your everday combat situations to warrant even mentioning. 

2. Level scaling. Another idea that looked great on paper, but ended up sucking the enjoyment out of the leveling process. Instead of feeling like you gained strenth with each level, you felt the same the entire leveling process. Add to that the lack of learning new abilities, and it fealt like I never advanced in power the entire time I played. I love the journey and the leveling experience. It's 1 of the 2 reasons I play RPG's to begin with.

3. No trinity. Organized groups just felt like chaos. It felt nothing like a fight that would play out in a fantasy novel. I do enjoy definitive group roles, and it didn't feel like GW2 had any. I'm not saying the holy trinity is the right answer either, but GW2's solution is worse.

4. WvWvW. Everyone including me thought this would be like DAoC. Instead, it was the worse incarnation of RvR I've ever had the displeasure of being apart of. Travel times were through the roof, the community didn't cooperate, servers didn't band together and fight the stronger server (like in DAoC), ranged trumped all, and I could go on and on. 

5. Dungeons. When an experienced and smart player goes into a dungeon and gets his ass handed to him over and over again, there's something wrong with the game design. The lack of roles pretty much made it to where if you got targeted at all by more than 1 mob, you were toast. It was just choas.

6. The other major thing to draw me to the game were DE's. When the developers hyped up the DE's, they said the DE's were random, and would change the landscape, such as take over towns, grow an army, further invasions etc. Instead, the DE's were so predictable people were botting them. Because you often didn't join a DE in the beginning, you had no idea why you were doing what you were doing, so all the DE's started feeling the same. The idea of public groups was great, but what we got was a bunch of soloers AOE'ing the crap out of everything, so people had no idea what was going on. No one talked at all either. 

I'm sure there's more, but we get the picture, I wasn't impressed with the game and didn't stick around for more than a few weeks. Now I'm hearing ESO is copying some ideas from GW2 and I'm sure it won't be the last to copy ideas from it. I see this as horrible news, as I further get alienated out of this genre. First it was WoW, now it's GW2.

1. its very wrong, at L7 you dont get all skills (L30)

2. as L80 i feel really powerful (well full exotics helped)

3.felt like chaos to people who haves no clue about the game

4.best WxWxW ever made but need nice voicechat guilds coordination, here lots of times half numbers organizated wins to double chaotic zergs

5.Last times i did instances everything its clear and no one dies (zero wipes), needs learning curve ofc

6. DE's are not perfect but still 1000's times better than old crappy ! -? hub quests.

conclusion i think you never tried hard to play this game , and the GW2 its not for all, so no worries.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

TBH I forget GW2 is even out except when I'm on MMORPG and I see people lauding it for how "amazing" it is.

Cool I guess..  I don't know a single person IRL who has it, I had it and returned it because it was feature imcomplete at the time, they released their game broken with half the things on the box not even in the game.  Real Classy.

GW2, most underwelming game I played.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

TBH I forget GW2 is even out except when I'm on MMORPG and I see people lauding it for how "amazing" it is.

Cool I guess..  I don't know a single person IRL who has it, I had it and returned it because it was feature imcomplete at the time, they released their game broken with half the things on the box not even in the game.  Real Classy.

Can you tell me what game came out totally complete, for an MMO. You can't because they are always updating and redoing. They were able to release it because the elements you were talking about were addins not basic to the game, not built in to the engine. Having skills missing, etc would be a non-starter but this didn't happen in GW2. Your premise is non-issue, in my opinion.

WOW - I know many people, in real life, who play the game so, maybe your special.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Did they? What exactly is on the box that you're claiming was not even in the game?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by botrytis

Can you tell me what game came out totally complete, for an MMO. You can't because they are always updating and redoing. They were able to release it because the elements you were talking about were addins not basic to the game, not built in to the engine. Having skills missing, etc would be a non-starter but this didn't happen in GW2. Your premise is non-issue, in my opinion.

WOW - I know many people, in real life, who play the game so, maybe your special.

I know a lot of people too, sadly none of them liked GW2.  I guess those rose coloured glasses the game came with didn't come in my package :-(

Originally posted by Volkon

Did they? What exactly is on the box that you're claiming was not even in the game?

An auction house? 

Working guild invites / perks?

Thats just the two off the top of my head.  Game launched without either, both took over a month to add in.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

An auction house? 

Thats just the two off the top of my head.  Game launched without either, both took over a month to add in.

You sead half the features labled on the box wasent ingame and you just came up with 2?

TP was ingame it worked in beta and the first few days after release,what happend was it broke down due to massive amount of people putting up so much crap that the TP couldn't handle the load.

I'm not defending the TP fiasco but atleast one good thing came out of it.......face to face trading.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Torgrim

An auction house? 

You sead half the features labled on the box wasent ingame and you just came up with 2?

TP was ingame it worked in beta and the first few days after release,what happend was it broke down due to massive amount of people putting up so much crap that the TP couldn't handle the load.

I'm not defending the TP fiasco but atleast one good thing came out of it.......face to face trading.

Not sure what he was referring to.  To me the game had one of the best launches I've seen in years.  The game just got boring for me but oh well, GW2 ain't for everyone.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

Nah,its 10 times more boring.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Fangrim

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

well, nobody said that you had to like the most influential game of 2012. Of course, that might end up being a problem for you later on if a majority of games started implimenting features, but you probably prefer sandboxes anyhow.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by eyelolled

well, nobody said that you had to like the most influential game of 2012. Of course, that might end up being a problem for you later on if a majority of games started implimenting features, but you probably prefer sandboxes anyhow.

Ugh..... just ugh....

You sicken me

How you get away with pontificating all over this site I'll never know.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Are you seriously still convincing yourself that this game is all you say it is, or are you so bored of the most influental game, you spend all day and night on these forums. Heres an idea, tell yourself quietly it s truly the best game ever, and i ll continue to tell myself it s the worst game to come out in years.

Originally posted by Leucent

Are you seriously still convincing yourself that this game is all you say it is, or are you so bored of the most influental game, you spend all day and night on these forums. Heres an idea, tell yourself quietly it s truly the best game ever, and i ll continue to tell myself it s the worst game to come out in years.

After an insane weekend of Tier 1 WvW PvP good luck convincing any involved or that actually plays the game that it's the "worst game to come out in years".  You should actually try it before bashing it rather than troll it for whatever reasons.

Played it, hated WvW the most, after playing DAOC again this weekend I realize how crappy of a try it was to be like DAOCs RvR. Other then that I can safely say, SINCE I ACTUALLY PLAYED IT, it s the worst game to come out in years.

I find it boring that you have to have, in other games like RIft, one healer or more, one tank or more, DPS (only specific builds please) and always asking for people and to be rejected when you don't have what is expected. For as versatile builds can be in Rift, they still boil down to 1-2 build per profession that are wanted and used. All the others are throw aways. The same can be said for all the other games out there that use the trinity.

It was your opinion and that is fine - don't state it as fact.

They are not homogenized as you you say. Rift got homogenized because of the limited builds actually used at end game. Play a mesmer in GW2 and see how different the builds can be.

After an insane weekend of Tier 1 WvW PvP good luck convincing any involved or that actually plays the game that it's the "worst game to come out in years".  You should actually try it before bashing it rather than troll it for whatever reasons.

Played it, hated WvW the most, after playing DAOC again this weekend I realize how crappy of a try it was to be like DAOCs RvR. Other then that I can safely say, SINCE I ACTUALLY PLAYED IT, it s the worst game to come out in years.

You demonstrate little to no working knowledge of the game. You claim to have played it, but without any actual working knowledge of the game I doubt you're telling the truth.

Oderint, dum metuant.

If it is so bad, as you say, why are so many people playing the game?

You demonstrate little to no working knowledge of the game. You claim to have played it, but without any actual working knowledge of the game I doubt you're telling the truth.

Ok shit you figured me out, lol. As long as you know all, we re good.

It s called an opinion, not hard to understand. If it s such a good game, why are you 4-5 fanbois defending it so much, it shouldn t be needed?

It s called an opinion, not hard to understand. If it s such a good game, why are you 4-5 fanbois defending it so much, it shouldn t be needed?

Someone needs to take a break out of the game to fight the lies. We'll let the rest keep on playing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

There's no accounting for taste?

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

TBH I forget GW2 is even out except when I'm on MMORPG and I see people lauding it for how "amazing" it is. Cool I guess..  I don't know a single person IRL who has it, I had it and returned it because it was feature imcomplete at the time, they released their game broken with half the things on the box not even in the game.  Real Classy. GW2, most underwelming game I played.

An auction house? 

The Auction hall was planned the entire time. If you wanted gold the only way to get it was from buying it from the cash shop with real money. This was a way for them to squeeze out as much money as they could at launch. Another key feature not available at launch were the forums this again well a well calculated strategy that prohibited all the bugs and issues to be discussed by the players. There is nothing influential about gw2. I think the fact for the 1st month or two after release any negative comment would have been attacked by the loyal followers. Now its multiple negative to every die hard fan.

Someone needs to take a break out of the game to fight the lies. We'll let the rest keep on playing.

Lol, it s not lies when it s an opinion.