Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Rider071

No, if I was to say the most influential game of 2012 would have been the success of EQ2:Extended, as it changed and brought about the greatest influx of F2P pay models in the industry.

I mean if we are truly going to talk about influencing change in the industry.

That was 2011, and LOTRO did it first and much better. So no, that wasnt influential at all. Especially not in 2012 where EQ2 was pretty much irrelevant.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by pioneer08
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by mikahr

There is nothing influential or MM about GW2. You have 5 abilities at a time that's not massive. You get a few people to beat down the same mob and get credit thats not massive or multipler since everyone goes their separate ways without a word to each other. The lower levels are massively empty, endgame is massively nonexistent. Lotro even has open world tagging its nothing new or influential about GW2.

Mmm, none of that makes sense.

Youd definately have more than 5 abilities. But you actually have to play the game to know that.

Few players beating on a mob? 40-50-60. Its more massive than 99% of MMOs.

And you have a problem with definition of "massive". Check it out.

Endgame is plenty. Whole game as a matter of fact. Cant really be bigger that that, sorry.

LOTRO fot open world tagging after GW2 (in RoR), so it was much influenced by GW2, sorry to dissapoint you.

[mod edit]

you still have many more than 5 "AT A TIME" try the game

How many action bars do you have? Ok yes you can switch weapons and then again how many action bars does that weapon have?

the basic setup gives you access to 15 abilities at a given time.. now depending on class and loadout you could easily have 20-40 at any given time.. my elementalist has access to 35 abilities in any single fight in my current build i could build my engineer to do the same.. 

The basic setup does not give you 15 action bars. Now who is lying?

15 abilities not action bars.. where did i say action bars? and yes it does well 14 abilities at the bare minimum till you hit 30 then its 15 at the min

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

There is nothing influential or MM about GW2. You have 5 abilities at a time that's not massive. You get a few people to beat down the same mob and get credit thats not massive or multipler since everyone goes their separate ways without a word to each other. The lower levels are massively empty, endgame is massively nonexistent. Lotro even has open world tagging its nothing new or influential about GW2.

Mmm, none of that makes sense.

Youd definately have more than 5 abilities. But you actually have to play the game to know that.

Few players beating on a mob? 40-50-60. Its more massive than 99% of MMOs.

And you have a problem with definition of "massive". Check it out.

Endgame is plenty. Whole game as a matter of fact. Cant really be bigger that that, sorry.

LOTRO fot open world tagging after GW2 (in RoR), so it was much influenced by GW2, sorry to dissapoint you.

[mod edit]

you still have many more than 5 "AT A TIME" try the game

How many action bars do you have? Ok yes you can switch weapons and then again how many action bars does that weapon have?

the basic setup gives you access to 15 abilities at a given time.. now depending on class and loadout you could easily have 20-40 at any given time.. my elementalist has access to 35 abilities in any single fight in my current build i could build my engineer to do the same.. 

The basic setup does not give you 15 action bars. Now who is lying?

15 abilities not action bars.. where did i say action bars? and yes it does well 14 abilities at the bare minimum till you hit 30 then its 15 at the min

Well I said you only have 5 abilities which I was correct at. Then you and mik got all huffy puffy so i.agreed you could change weapons but then that weapon still only has 5 abilities those abilities are used by clicking the action bars. Thats where action bars came from.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Without switching your weapons, you DO only have 5 weapon abilities at one time.  Some people like using a 2h sword with their characters and don't want to be forced to use a shield or 2h hammer to gain new abilities.

Who said anything weapon abilities? Even you know that you have MORE than 5 abilities at ANY given time.

Nice try, but he is just a bit too obvious

Some people dont want >than 1 quickbar, does that mean they are limited only on abilities currently on their quickbar (in any game)?

Some people want to play on lower level, but using that as an argument? lol

I'm pretty sure he was talking about  weapon skills, not skill...skills.  You get 5 slots for the universal skills, yes, and changing between weapons is very quick and easy but the number of skills per weapon is still set at 5.  Again, many people like to use a certain type of weapon all the time (I was partial to dual wielding pistols on my thief) and don't want to switch the weapon they use.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Rider071

No, if I was to say the most influential game of 2012 would have been the success of EQ2:Extended, as it changed and brought about the greatest influx of F2P pay models in the industry.

I mean if we are truly going to talk about influencing change in the industry.

That was 2011, and LOTRO did it first and much better. So no, that wasnt influential at all. Especially not in 2012 where EQ2 was pretty much irrelevant.

The release of EQ2:Extended was 2011, the experiment was for 1 year, the experiment ended in 2012, with the profits exceeding all expectations to the extent it changed an entire companies' stable of games, and heavily influenced other companies in the industry to match the expectations.

Turbine did do similar things, but they only affected their own lifespan, not the industry..though you could say they influenced SOE's decision to experiment with it, yes, but not in 2012.

Originally posted by pioneer08 Well I said you only have 5 abilities which I was correct at. Then you and mik got all huffy puffy so i.agreed you could change weapons but then that weapon still only has 5 abilities those abilities are used by clicking the action bars. Thats where action bars came from.
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

you have a whole other bar called the utility bar.. on that bar you can have skills that change all 5 of your weapon skill slots. This add a ton more skills to your arsenal.. then you have elementalist who uses 4 elements of 5 skills each plus utility skills and they have summoned weapons the give you a whole new set of skills on your weapon bar.. all in all you do get a lot of skills.. my main gripe with the skill system is not enough choices on just the weapon skills alone.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    I think its too soon to call GW2 influental. Give it some time, lets see the GW2 clones.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

It is not ALL DPS and that is where you are having issues.  With all of my characters I do a little but of it all. and you have to in GW2. If you went all DPS, you would besically be dead 95% of the time.

The trinity is simple-minded because ALL THE TANK DOES IS - DUH TANK, ETC. It is such a not complex game mechanic and that is why it first came out - it was the simplest type of game mechanic to create.

Good lord.  I'm tired of GW2 fans calling other game systems, and by extension the people that play and enjoy them, simple minded.  They seem to think that if we don't appreciate all the awesome greatness that is GW2 that somehow we're stupid or we "just don't get it".  Its insulting and annoying.  Stop it.

Comparitively the system is simpler, he isnt saying people playing trinity games are simpler, just that the system is.

Without the trinity, everyone needs to work as a team to be successful. Everyone has to defend other group members, everyone has to take turns of drawing the mobs ire, everyone has to contribute to damage (or just res zerg - which they are removing, and isnt the intentional way to play).

With the trinity if someone dies, its the healers fault for not healing, or the tanks fault for not holding aggro. Thats as complicated as it gets. Tanks taunt, healers heal, dps deal damage. Sure you can throw in some utility who buff, but that doesnt make it overly complicated.  

I appreciate that some people prefer to play the trinity, that they feel special for being the person that keeps other people alive, or holds aggro against high dps. My friend refuses to play any games where he cant be a healer because that is the role he likes. But lets call a spade a spade, trinity makes the game a lot simpler.

Another one.image

Look, if you and other people enjoy the way GW2 works, fine.  Awesome.  Good for you.  But please stop with the passive aggressive insults towards people that don't like it and enjoy something else.  And yes, he and other GW2 fans ARE saying people who enjoy the trinity are simple minded fools who are too stupid to "get" GW2.

Its not passive aggressive, its just telling you how it is.

Having one very defined role to play is simpler than multitasking.

If you prefer having a defined role, thats fine, but lets call a spade a spade shall we?

Originally posted by pioneer08 Well I said you only have 5 abilities which I was correct at. Then you and mik got all huffy puffy so i.agreed you could change weapons but then that weapon still only has 5 abilities those abilities are used by clicking the action bars. Thats where action bars came from.
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

you have a whole other bar called the utility bar.. on that bar you can have skills that change all 5 of your weapon skill slots. This add a ton more skills to your arsenal.. then you have elementalist who uses 4 elements of 5 skills each plus utility skills and they have summoned weapons the give you a whole new set of skills on your weapon bar.. all in all you do get a lot of skills.. my main gripe with the skill system is not enough choices on just the weapon skills alone.

[mod edit]

and my point is there are utility slot skills that give you access to skills that change your entire weapon bar as well so that's even more weapon skills than just the ones of your main and secondary set

Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

It is not ALL DPS and that is where you are having issues.  With all of my characters I do a little but of it all. and you have to in GW2. If you went all DPS, you would besically be dead 95% of the time.

The trinity is simple-minded because ALL THE TANK DOES IS - DUH TANK, ETC. It is such a not complex game mechanic and that is why it first came out - it was the simplest type of game mechanic to create.

Good lord.  I'm tired of GW2 fans calling other game systems, and by extension the people that play and enjoy them, simple minded.  They seem to think that if we don't appreciate all the awesome greatness that is GW2 that somehow we're stupid or we "just don't get it".  Its insulting and annoying.  Stop it.

Comparitively the system is simpler, he isnt saying people playing trinity games are simpler, just that the system is.

Without the trinity, everyone needs to work as a team to be successful. Everyone has to defend other group members, everyone has to take turns of drawing the mobs ire, everyone has to contribute to damage (or just res zerg - which they are removing, and isnt the intentional way to play).

With the trinity if someone dies, its the healers fault for not healing, or the tanks fault for not holding aggro. Thats as complicated as it gets. Tanks taunt, healers heal, dps deal damage. Sure you can throw in some utility who buff, but that doesnt make it overly complicated.  

I appreciate that some people prefer to play the trinity, that they feel special for being the person that keeps other people alive, or holds aggro against high dps. My friend refuses to play any games where he cant be a healer because that is the role he likes. But lets call a spade a spade, trinity makes the game a lot simpler.

Another one.image

Look, if you and other people enjoy the way GW2 works, fine.  Awesome.  Good for you.  But please stop with the passive aggressive insults towards people that don't like it and enjoy something else.  And yes, he and other GW2 fans ARE saying people who enjoy the trinity are simple minded fools who are too stupid to "get" GW2.

Its not passive aggressive, its just telling you how it is.

Having one very defined role to play is simpler than multitasking.

If you prefer having a defined role, thats fine, but lets call a spade a spade shall we?

I take it you have never ran a raid in a trinity mmo? I bet you have never tried to heal, clear wounds, poisons and other effects while your healing your party while paying attention to the boss mechanics. If you think just because you have determined role you are not multitasking then you have never played an mmo.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Hard to believe this thread is still going.  There should be a new phrase "Don't encourage the fanboy"

Has anyone come up with a good answer as to how this game was more influential in 2012 than any other MMORPG?

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Hard to believe this thread is still going.  There should be a new phrase "Don't encourage the fanboy" Has anyone come up with a good answer as to how this game was more influential in 2012 than any other MMORPG?

You didnt hear gw2 recreated everything everyone ever knew about mmos. And every mmo ever released from this day forward will be know as influenced by gw2.

Hard to believe this thread is still going.  There should be a new phrase "Don't encourage the fanboy"

Has anyone come up with a good answer as to how this game was more influential in 2012 than any other MMORPG?

You didnt hear gw2 recreated everything everyone ever knew about mmos. And every mmo ever released from this day forward will be know as influenced by gw2.

No I must have missed that post from Eyelolled.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    So influential that no MMO has copied any of it's game mechanics?  Bout the only influential thing GW2 has is the buisness model which illustrated that B2P is a good and sound buisness model to use. 
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    So influential that no MMO has copied any of it's game mechanics?  Bout the only influential thing GW2 has is the buisness model which illustrated that B2P is a good and sound buisness model to use. 

That was the original GW.

just watch videos of TESO, wILDSTAR, OR BLACK DESERT ONLINE if yu are looking for influeces,, TESO ones are good as they actually go over many systems gw2 has in place.

Originally posted by Latronus

That was the original GW.

And the original GW didn't come out in 2012.  ;)

I guess for me, for something to be influential, and especially most influential across a wide category of similar things, it should have influenced things.

just watch videos of TESO, wILDSTAR, OR BLACK DESERT ONLINE if yu are looking for influeces,, TESO ones are good as they actually go over many systems gw2 has in place.

Nice... didn't know the TESO devs said they based their designs on GW2 designs.

Nice... didn't know the TESO devs said they based their designs on GW2 designs.

listen to their dev talk many systems are right from GW2.. which is fine by me hopefully they will improve on them

Ok do you have any idea how long it takes to make these games? All the games you mentioned have been in development for years and i highly doubt they are making changes because of gw2.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Name them for I sure as hell don't see it.   TESO is so different that it's apples and oranges.  Cross profession is bout the only thing mechanic wise that might be infulencial but that's a big maybe as ESO has a completely different implementation of the skill and really is more from TES game themselves..  Wildstar has hardly nothing shown so you cannot say it's been influenced by GW2. 

Name them for I sure as hell don't see it.   TESO is so different that it's apples and oranges.  Cross profession is bout the only thing mechanic wise that might be infulencial but that's a big maybe as ESO has a completely different implementation of the skill and really is more from TES game themselves..  Wildstar has hardly nothing shown so you cannot say it's been influenced by GW2. 

try watching this one he goes over a couple thing they are using from gw2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zchOStbwZ8k

I'd listen to questing in general

Ok do you have any idea how long it takes to make these games? All the games you mentioned have been in development for years and i highly doubt they are making changes because of gw2.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Now we'll see people call games already well into development as having been heavily influenced by guild wars 2 because some features sound the same lol

When of course the systems weren't based on any GW2 mechanic or changed because of guild wars 2.  So no influence whatsoever.

Now we'll see people call games already well into development as having been heavily influenced by guild wars 2 because some features sound the same lol

When of course the systems weren't based on any GW2 mechanic or changed because of guild wars 2.  So no influence whatsoever.

So Turbine had a cash shop before GW2 therefore with their logic GW2 was influenced by Lotro. GW2 has quick travel again wow, lotro, rift, vangaurd, eq, eq2 and more all influenced gw2. I could go on for days with examples.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

You know it's all about when the game launches, not when a system was developed.  Case in point, that's why every Themepark to launch in the last 8 years is an EQ2 clone, oh wait... I think I got that wrong.