Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

There should be no doubt that GW2 was the most influential mmorpg of 2012. Many people were talking about how the game is evolutionary, and a welcome breath of fresh air to the genre. It's won multiple awards like IGN's Best PC Game, IGN's Best PC MMO game, IGN's Best PC Graphics, Massively's Best MMO of 2012, MMORPG.com Most Innovative, Gamespots PC game of the year, Time' s #1 game of the year, and more recently PCGamer's MMO of the Year! There is no denying that GW2 has grabbed a lot of attention, and the loyal fanbase is growing each and every day!

GW2 is the most talked about game on this site still, even after almost 5 months since release. It's the most talked about game this week, and the most talked about game this month. GW2 has more than 3 times as many hits as the next closest game over the last 6 months, and more than 3 times as many hits as the next closest game over the last year.

[mod edit] [My edit to maintain paragraph integrity - Some people post negatively about GW2 yet,] I want to thank them too. They really prove how influential the game is. People don't write and talk about meaningless things of little importance. People write and talk  about things that affect them or concern them. Each and every thread, each and every reply is another hit on the popularity scale for GW2.

Each post is a testiment to the influence that GW2 has within the genre, even if it is a hate post. This game IS the game worth talking about, and when developers are looking for what games to follow into the future, the most talked about game is a good choice.  I look forward to a brilliant future for mmorpg's, with GW2 lighting the way.

EDIT: And if you feel like arguing with me, and telling me I'm wrong, or if you feel like telling me how much you like the game. Keep on speaking. Keep on saying how you feel and lets keep GW2 leading the way through 2013!!!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't wait to see what features of GW2 Blizzard puts into WoW.  Then all the WoW fanbois will be saying look at the new features that Blizzard developed.

on a serious note, I agree with you boxsnd, it's way too early to say that GW2 is the most influential.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I played it for about two and a half weeks.  I enjoyed the art direction and the fact that it was very well done from a technical standpoint (it pretty much worked from day one).  But there was no real depth to any of the core systems. 

Hearts were just your basic quests without a start NPC or a set number of mobs to kill.  It was still Kill these or collect these type of things....every single quest was this way.

You expored things once....and only once, to fill your sheet thingy.  Loot was dull and boring.  I never got the feeling I got when I first got a Dragoon Dirk from Crushbone.  Level 10 sword was a little bit better than a level 9 sword, while not as good as a level 11 sword.  Crafting was boring WOW type.  PVP was instanced and really meant nothing in terms of the world.  The Dynamic events meant nothing either, as they would eventually reset.

Had I never played original Everquest, or Ultima Online or Star Wars Galaxies or EVE I think I would have really enjoyed Guild Wars 2.  But I did play those games and when I compare actual substance and complexity of game systems (whether it was SWG and EVE crafting, or EQ's group content or UOs total world) GW2 does not even register.

The MMO genre just does not evolve like other gaming genres.  I am tired of WoW clones, or GW2 clones or whatever.  I want a game with systems that have actual depth, like SWG's crafting.

GW2 is neither evolutionary nor revolutionary, that is the problem.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    It may have effected the design of one or two other games to some minor degree, in relation to an action oriented combat system, but I'd disagree that its influence has been substantially felt throughout the genre for the year of 2012. Then again, it didn't really have much competition to rise to such a standard to begin with, so perhaps in some small way it was more influential than the likes of TSW, or Firefall. Is that really anything to celebrate, though?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Latronus

I can't wait to see what features of GW2 Blizzard puts into WoW.  Then all the WoW fanbois will be saying look at the new features that Blizzard developed.

on a serious note, I agree with you boxsnd, it's way too early to say that GW2 is the most influential.

jumping puzzles are coming to WoW as per leaked PTR achievements.

also the big MMO release of 2013 features gameplay based on public events out in the game world which replace quests(not public fed ex quests liek WAR, these are more in the vein of events), sharedloot/exp for all kills, shared resource nodes and cross class combos.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

Originally posted by botrytis

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Isn't the homogonization of classes into builds that can complete every task necessary in groups just as boring?

isn't the "OHH look I can tank" - "ooh look I can heal "- "ooh look I can DPS",  a little simple minded?

The classes aren't homogenized as much as they cross over a bit - it is just a different way to play.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Nice post OP. GW2 is dominating.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

I agree that it will be influential in the years to come. I am not sure if it has been the most influential yet, but it is close. The most influential part now is that two games are essentially going B2P as a result of the success ArenaNet is having with their business model. You can also see some of the F2P models loosening up the reins; so to speak. Gw2 is defining what people expect from future games and things like the inclusive nature of the game will have a direct impact on future games. You can already see tons of games pulling out the 3 faction pvp as well as better level scaling. Not to mention ESO's version of WvW/RvR will have level scaling as well, similar to WvW. Alot of games have removed the concept of "tagging" creatures as well as incorporating ways to reward players for contributing to any encounter. (Elder Tokens in WoW) Even Fractals have contributed towards a never ending difficulty progression dungeon with Tera's new dungeon. ESO not having the same trinity as normal. (no aggro)

Right now I feel like the game has the opportunity to change the MMO genre depending on where they go from here. I think sPvP might be huge if it gets a better progression system and more E-Sport support. This could influence other MMOs to do similar things with it. People even question now, on a regular basis, the justification of "gearing up" for PvP in other games. This has resulted in smoother gearing curves and easier acquiring of high end gear. 

The biggest influence short term though is certainly the payment model. How can anyone justify a sub now when there is another MMO that you pay the same for the box for and don't pay one for a game that offers monthly content? This means that any sub based game has to offer content on a monthly basis that is consistantly higher quality and provides more content then GW2 in order to justify it. GW2 is possibly the nail in the coffin for sub based MMOs if you ask me. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    it's the first MMO in a long time that has really pulled me into the world the devs created and made me really enjoy MMOs again.. will i be playing this in a year? who knows, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best MMO out right now has no monthly sub and has so far the fastest content producing team out there. All in all, influential? i'd say so

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    honestly considering the releases this past year this game being inflential is not saying much honestly. It had some creative things about it for sure like making the harvesting nodes be usable by everyone at once and allowing players to gain experience with just about anything you did in game. I found the game pretty boring after about a month with the no rivalry WvW system and no earning system for WvW either . I find it ironic that now all of a sudden after everyone complained and complained they are finally adding in a realm point system for the world vs world. I personally cannot understand how anyone could get immersed in the story personally as the quest lines were beyond boring to myself but thats all just personal opinion. I wish Guild Wars 2 the best though and hopefully other devs will add in more dynamic content along side a good story line of quests in the future and ease of crafting nodes etc as that was a great part of it. I just cannot return myself I find the game so bland and boring but very nice landscapes especially with SweetFx injectors.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

It is not ALL DPS and that is where you are having issues.  With all of my characters I do a little but of it all. and you have to in GW2. If you went all DPS, you would besically be dead 95% of the time.

The trinity is simple-minded because ALL THE TANK DOES IS - DUH TANK, ETC. It is such a not complex game mechanic and that is why it first came out - it was the simplest type of game mechanic to create.

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

isn't the "OHH look I can tank" - "ooh look I can heal "- "ooh look I can DPS",  a little simple minded?

The classes aren't homogenized as much as they cross over a bit - it is just a different way to play.

Right, which is why I'm questioning how one could possibly be less boring than the other, aside from being over exposed. They're essentially the same thing, other than being divided by classes into more specific roles or having a majority of jobs contained within one another.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

I played it for about two and a half weeks.  I enjoyed the art direction and the fact that it was very well done from a technical standpoint (it pretty much worked from day one).  But there was no real depth to any of the core systems. 

Hearts were just your basic quests without a start NPC or a set number of mobs to kill.  It was still Kill these or collect these type of things....every single quest was this way.

You expored things once....and only once, to fill your sheet thingy.  Loot was dull and boring.  I never got the feeling I got when I first got a Dragoon Dirk from Crushbone.  Level 10 sword was a little bit better than a level 9 sword, while not as good as a level 11 sword.  Crafting was boring WOW type.  PVP was instanced and really meant nothing in terms of the world.  The Dynamic events meant nothing either, as they would eventually reset.

Had I never played original Everquest, or Ultima Online or Star Wars Galaxies or EVE I think I would have really enjoyed Guild Wars 2.  But I did play those games and when I compare actual substance and complexity of game systems (whether it was SWG and EVE crafting, or EQ's group content or UOs total world) GW2 does not even register.

The MMO genre just does not evolve like other gaming genres.  I am tired of WoW clones, or GW2 clones or whatever.  I want a game with systems that have actual depth, like SWG's crafting.

GW2 is neither evolutionary nor revolutionary, that is the problem.

There is great depth to this game and you have to take some of the blame for not digging deep enough to see it. The game isn't blameless, I guess, since it doesn't spoon feed everything to players. I think your habits and expectations of how to play an MMO, based on your time playing WoW, EQ, et. al. may also have blinded you to what the game does offer. So, indeed, you may have loved GW2 if not for those other games; not because GW2 fails the comparison, but because those games made you a "lazy gamer" who has lost any sense of curiosity and discovery. That exploration to you was nothing more than a checklist and you saw no value in exploring the world beyond zone completion is proof of what I say.

That's the thing about evolutionary/revolutionary advances. Many people are so stuck in the status quo that the can't appreciate or accept the revolution and may actively oppose it because change makes them uncomfortable.

No game is for every player. This isn't the game for you at this point in your life. That doesn't mean it isn't a great game or that it won't have a major influence on the genre moving forward.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

That's the thing about evolutionary/revolutionary advances. Many people are so stuck in the status quo that the can't appreciate or accept the revolution and may actively oppose it because change makes them uncomfortable.

I don't think this has anything to do with it, as GW2 is nothing but the next in the status quo MMO format, though perhaps mutated. I'm chalking the elitism in the community up to this very simple idea, that somehow Guild Wars 2 is so god damn revolutionary that some of us are just too blinded by crappier MMO's to understand or recognize the truth, no matter how far from reality that may actually be.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    As I said in my original post, the proof of influence is in that people choose to talk about it.  And the more that people talk about it, the more influence it has.  It is a compounded effort from the efforts of the fans as well as the haters, to keep this game at the top of the social/forum charts. The results are already there, and the continuation of this thread shows that GW2 is still a very big deal.   

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

The ideas were influential, the final, delivered product was not. As a smart, handsome person, I can tell the difference. The ideas and the product are as different as chalk and cheese, night and day, and so on; almost to the point of being polar opposites.

I hope the ideas go on to inspire future generations of MMORPGs, I hope the product doesn't. The ideas were grand and fabulous, the product is not very different from Warhammer Online.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Yea you are right there, it influenced me greatly , as i now realize after the debacle of games like GW2 and ToR , just how completely and utterly developers are butbackwards, as a 15 year old game like UO , has Better Class Options, Better Exploration , Better Crafting , Better Housing, Better Guild Tools, , Better  Faction Warfare, Better Gear ,Better Grouping , Better PVE .....

Certainly has been influential for 2012 .. lets hope we see a lot less of this money grab develpoment in 2013 , and we start to move the genre forward not back..

And i hope you realize that ToR followed the same exact cycle as you described in realtion to this site... lol

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Yea you are right there, it influenced me greatly , as i now realize after the debacle of games like GW2 and ToR , just how completely and utterly developers are butbackwards, as a 15 year old game like UO , has Better Class Options, Better Exploration , Better Crafting , Better Housing, Better Guild Tools, , Better  Faction Warfare, Better Gear ,Better Grouping , Better PVE .....

Certainly has been influential for 2012 .. lets hope we see a lot less of this money grab develpoment in 2013 , and we start to move the genre forward not back..

And i hope you realize that ToR followed the same exact cycle as you described in realtion to this site... lol

Well it's nice to hear from the guy that feels we need to move the genre forward and not back by making the game more like a game from 15 years ago.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by Latronus

jumping puzzles are coming to WoW as per leaked PTR achievements.

also the big MMO release of 2013 features gameplay based on public events out in the game world which replace quests(not public fed ex quests liek WAR, these are more in the vein of events), sharedloot/exp for all kills, shared resource nodes and cross class combos.

Wow, WoW is adopting jumping puzzles...Good thing I haven't played with that beast since the first expansion - pulls in everything from all games :/

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Influental how...it didnt bring 1 thing new to the video game genre. Not a single thing.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Well it's nice to hear from the guy that feels we need to move the genre forward and not back by making the game more like a game from 15 years ago.

^ I agree. Games got dumbed down, 15 years ago was WAY better! :D

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.