Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Shiva

drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,247Member Uncommon
 http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog   pretty cool lookin

Comments

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Hot Springs Village, ARPosts: 445Member
    Note that's not her final appearance. That's just a zBrush raw. Personally I'd like her horns to be ruduced a bit to look more like a 'crown' in the concept art. I imagine she'll look much between once they give her pale skin.
  • tollboothtollbooth grants pass, ORPosts: 298Member

"Rhymes with Diva." 

Shiva and Diva rhyme?  Guess I've been saying this wrong for... damn i'm old :(

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Hot Springs Village, ARPosts: 445Member
    I don't pronounce it right either. I say "SHIV uh"
  • tollboothtollbooth grants pass, ORPosts: 298Member
    Originally posted by TemperHoof

Same way I pronounce it as well.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Tarzana, CAPosts: 1,220Member
    Originally posted by tollbooth
    Originally posted by TemperHoof

Same way I pronounce it as well.

I've always pronounced it SHEEV uh. I'd say it's kind of a TOMAETO - TOMAATO sort of thing...gah that looks awkward in text.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Chickasha, OKPosts: 584Member
    I say it SHE VA , can't wait to see the other primals

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• mrputtsmrputts Beaver, PAPosts: 197Member

SHIVA-KAMINI SOMA-KANDAR-KRAM!!!!!!

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• KamikazegoKamikazego Algonac, MIPosts: 224Member

I'm not sure if it's a reference to the "god" Shiva (which can be pronounced She-vah or See-vah), or if it's just a name created in Japan and thus is pronounced using their pronunciation rules.

Either way, it's kind of amusing finding people who pronounce these things oddly.  It's She-vah. Rhymes with Diva. Not Shiv-ah or Shy-vah or whatnot. ;)

Back in the days of FF7, it was amusing to hear people pronouncing Tifa as "tiff-ah" instead of "Tee-fah".

Also, interesting link.

• AlberelAlberel LondonPosts: 1,121Member
    Originally posted by Kamikazego

I'm not sure if it's a reference to the "god" Shiva (which can be pronounced She-vah or See-vah), or if it's just a name created in Japan and thus is pronounced using their pronunciation rules.

Either way, it's kind of amusing finding people who pronounce these things oddly.  It's She-vah. Rhymes with Diva. Not Shiv-ah or Shy-vah or whatnot. ;)

Back in the days of FF7, it was amusing to hear people pronouncing Tifa as "tiff-ah" instead of "Tee-fah".

Also, interesting link.

Most of the 'core' FF summons such as Shiva, Ifrit and such are based on ancient mythology so their names are pronounced the same. Shiva is (very) loosely based on the Hindu deity whilst Ifrit is based on a kind of fire jinn from Arabian myth. Garuda is also a mythical eagle (or bird-like humanoid) from Hindu and Buddhist mythology. It makes sense given that they are usually god-like beings in the FF universe.

I have to say this new incarnation is very different to her previous forms though. She looks a bit more 'organic' this time around and they appear to have entirely ditched the Hindu aesthetic she's had in the past. I'll be interested to see how the finalised model looks...

• NyrrhoNyrrho Sacramento, CAPosts: 53Member
    Given how much Final Fantasy summons have changed over the years (Shiva included), it's still a farily recognizable rendition of Shiva. With those horns, it looks like a much more detailed version of the FFXI Shiva.