Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dont say there is nothing new in MMOs .. Defiance is it ...

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/22/trion-svp-explains-defiances-transmedia-synergy-secret-sauce/

Certainly same world in a game and a tv show has not been done like this before.

Whether it will be successful, i don't know .. but at least it is new.

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Have you just found out about it?  A beta weekend just finished.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Have you just found out about it? 

Nope. But no one is talking about this new thing here. So i figure i will make a post.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    If only it was an MMO image
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Nari, I almost think you are trolling at this point. the paradigm is new, but Defiance as a game itself does not bring anything new to the table gameplay wise. Though it did steal a couple of cool things that other games should steal too.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The only thing Defiance has going for me is Stahma Tarr. As if Jaime Murray wasnt hot enough already...

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/stahma%20tarr?page=28

I would wash her feet with milk and eat my cereals with it.

Originally posted by Vonatar

Isn't it a MMOFPS? It talks about thousands of players playing at the same time.

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Nari, I almost think you are trolling at this point. the paradigm is new, but Defiance as a game itself does not bring anything new to the table gameplay wise. Though it did steal a couple of cool things that other games should steal too.

well .. tying in with a tv show like this is new, isn't it? I didn't say new in gameplay, did i?

"New" in lore and how they do stories (i.e. ties with tv show) is new too. You may not like it, but that does not make it less "new". And i am not even say it will be successful.

Originally posted by Volgore

The only thing Defiance has going for me is Stahma Tarr. As if Jaime Murray wasnt hot enough already...

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/stahma%20tarr?page=28

I would wash her feet with milk and eat my cereals with it.

I wonder if she will show up in the game. My bet is, all the main characters will show up in the game as quest givers, and NPCs from time to time.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I cannot say much but its Definitely an MMOFPS and very different from PS2

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

I cannot say much but its Definitely an MMOFPS and very different from PS2

Because it has a lot of PvE gameplay (as opposed to PS2 is 100% pvp)? They also said no shard .. so the "virtual world" people should be happy.

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Have you just found out about it? 

Nope. But no one is talking about this new thing here. So i figure i will make a post.

I'm not sure the concept really gets people excited, we shall see I'm sure.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Isn't it a MMOFPS? It talks about thousands of players playing at the same time.

It's an FPS with lots of people. They made a decision to not go all the way and make it a full MMO in the MMORPG sense  from what I read.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    only things that worries about about this game, is I have heard there really isnt much for prgression of weapons and armor , since they want people to be equal from the start.   Have to read up more on character progression to know the truth about this.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Defiance is not a MMO, but good to see games like this hitting the scene. Called by some MMOFPS, we don't have enough of them in my eyes.
  • MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    I was interested in the concept - TV show influence game/ game influence TV show) untill I read a bit more about what the game is. Pretty standard fare with not much if anything new to show for it. I can understand some of that as they had a real definitive deadline (IE the airing of the first TV show) and can not afford to have any delays caused by bad gameplay or bugs. Still the game appears to be very vanilla or bland overall(I have not yet played it so just going off website description). I imagine it couuld be entertaining for a month or so but thats about it for me.
  • Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18

The game as I see it since playing beta is extreme in its weakness as it stands... ok it plays as a fps/fallout style gameplay if I dare say it myself, but its weak.. the good thing for it as a game right now is the fact its smooth and with lots happening it dont lag in big fights..

Not surprising though I guess eh...

On a different note: That picture on previous page, lol :D  All I have to say is .. MAN FEET!

Go on take a look, ugh creepy.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The TV show + game concept is interesting, but it's unlikely to be anything major. Besides, what if the show sucks?

Other than that, it looks a lot like Firefall, except FF has jetpacks. Jetpacks are awesome.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Not sure I can call Difiance innovative or new..  The game play is pretty much the same as any other online FPS..  Just because a TV show makes reference from time to time on what is happening at the "game" location isn't something I care about..  I don't see much PvE here, and I'm sure what little there is, is only a marketing ploy to grab initial sales, but won't retain many..   That seems to be the goal of devs anymore.. Hype the hell out of a game, get alot of box sales and maybe hold on to subs for 6 moths and move on to the next money grab..
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Interested in knowing if its as good a mmo as ps2. I have concerns from rift that it may all be instanced "fair" pvp like firefall and be a typical raiders first game. Might check it out, but I'm beta in something else at the moment.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    There is nothing new in MMO's.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

"Transmedia synergy secret sauce" ..............

phrasing...........PHRASING.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    of course it's an mmo, mmo stands for massively multiplayer online and defiance is that. however it is not an mmorpg.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Volgore

Problem with Defiance is that it feels like one of these recent singleplayer-mmorpgs.

Since there are no classes, the replay-value is zero. So once the crowd moved out of your area and the game gets top heavy, you will see the complains like "where is everyone?" and "how am i supposed to do the group stuff in my zone?" on the forums again.

Trion just repeats the classic among the modern mmo mistakes.

Well in theory you can grind weapons off the mobs in starter zones because drops are tied to your EGO rating (level), the higher the rating the more variety in drops (as in secondary effects, etc.). I'm more worried about "why" than "what" tho, because once you finish story, there doesnt seem to be much to do other than PvP. 

MMO not being 100% polished at launch doesn't bother me that much but I'd like to know how they plan to expand it post launch. 

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Defiance the GAME reminded me so much of Tabula Rasa. anyone else?