Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: Paul Sage Talks Beta, Crafting, and Progression

Comments

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    it is going to be the best ever. i cant wait.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Xobdnas
    Take a franchise, remove everything that fans love about it, make it like WOW, promote it like mad, Tortanic all over again.

fans will always bitch about something, fans of morrowind bitched about oblivion because it was so dumbed down in comparison.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bigsmiff. How does what he said about crafting make it sound like a typical themepark?

If it was typical themepark he would say "raiders will get everything, pvpers will come second, crafters get the scraps"

He don't say that at all, he said you will need to do everything if you want the best of everything.

I don't think it will be as craft orientated as a full on sandbox like eve. It can't be with no player looting and item wear to drive the ecconomy. But I think they will make crafting as important as it was in daoc, which is a huge step up from how wow type games handle crafting. They mentioned soul gems and soul trap before so hopefully the actual crafting process is as good as skyrim too.

I am not giving up on it, I just don't think that it sounds like the crafting system that hardcore crafters have been looking for. What I meant by typical themepark is "he said you will need to do everything if you want the best of everything". That statement to me has the spin of you can loot uber items in many different way. That's a shame, because most hardcore crafters want a crafter dependant system for the best gear...not quest gear and loot drops.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Out of all that, I only needed one sentence to make me excited for this game:

"They want people to be able to play the game how they like, and if that means crafting is their main way to get items, then so be it."

In Skyrim, I play an Orc Blacksmith.  I haven't done any quests outside of escaping Helgen.  i run around gather ore, blacksmith stuff and sell it to shops...and I couldn't be happier with it :D

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Nate
    1 you join one of three mutually exclusive factions in Morrowind, you join one of two in skyrim (with an additional one of two if you have dawnguard)
    You CAN join the 4 guilds.
    2 at the time the empire doesn't exist
    3 I agree, this is one if the reasons I get annoyed at the "just daoc 2" arguments. Daoc had a good housing system.
    4 you can be a werewolf and a vampire
    5 sounds like the classes are very loose, expect something along the lines of Morrowind / oblivion meets rift. Won't be free building like skyrim though.
    6 I see no difference between the hotbar and the q button in skyrim, except the hotbar is more pc UI orientated rather than console. You can't pause a mmo they can't make it exactly the same.
    7 who knows, they have theives guild and dark brotherhood, bit don't know if you can actually pickpockrt and stuff
    8 I don't like shards and the megaserver would prefer normal servers because they could then implement 3 ruleset like daoc, which would satisfy the "why can't I make my own faction" crowd on a ffa server, the "why can't I play my orc with my khajit buddy" crowd on the coop server and the "why can't I go everywhere" crowd on both. As for if its heavily instanced or not, can't tell until I play it. I seriously doubt it will be swtor like in that regard, but if it is I will be the first to flame it. They do have EQ / DAOC style open dungeons. The leveling pve is supposed to be exploration rather than quest hub based. I agree with you I hate sharding too, although I did like coh a lot, played it for years without even realising it was sharded. Bloody hated Aoc and swtor though.

I appreciate your mature response. I fully expected to get reamed for my strong opinions against this game. We're all gamers here and all would LOVE a good TES MMORPG. I'm just really conscerned about them making changes to appeal to the MMORPG market, when in fact, everyone who has talked about a TES MMORPG has always said keep things the way they are.

I'll be barely watching, but watching the way this game progresses. Who know, perhaps it'll surprise me. The DAoC bit doesn't impress me, even though my first and most favorite MMORPG was DAoC, because GW2 and TSW both failed at it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nate
    I'm reserving judgement until I know more.
    I'm highly suspect of certain aspects like the megaserver, only having the one ruleset (i think daoc had it best with its 3 rulesets, and the other 2 might play more like how people would think a tes mmo plays) and especially the phased epic you are the hero stuff that gives me swtor shudders.

But I love Morrowind, skyrim and daoc. And unlike some recent games, zenimax certainly have the mmo talent to pull this off with their ex daoc, uo, swg & coh devs, plus engine talent with the Id guys on the team.

To me though would feel more like tes if they had a mordred style server for the likes of me. I guess many pure pve types would like a coop server too. I really hope they rethink the whole server business.
  • WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    Slow dat hypetrain. All this game ever had in common with TES is the name - it's not even the same company that makes it. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but don't get so excited before we've seen the game in action.

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    My friends and I have been waiting for an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. Here's to hoping they get it right, I have faith!

They haven't. If you like me have been hoping for a true Elder Scrolls MMO this isn't it. This is DAoC 2 in Tamriel. Not saying it will be a bad game, and maybe it'll be fun to play, but take it for what it is. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

DOaC2 in Tamriel? How is that a bad thing again?

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Signed up for beta! As an Elder Scrolls fan and a MMO fan I realize there will be certain features that will not cross over and work well in a MMO world nor would the game engine and implementation work on a MMO setup. I AM OK WITH THAT. With all that has been released so far about the game I am excited and thrilled with the direction Zenimax/Bethesda is taking the game. 

Some of my biggest desires is for them NOT to lose the lore and story telling of the ES series, for them to keep true to the play and level how you want (combat mage and shadow spellsword 2 of my favorite made classes), and the focus on skill rather than gear for your gameplay.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the first mmorpg in a long time to have a traditional end game and giant pvp persistant battleground like DAOC yet people here still bitch and moan.
    Maybe because TES is NOT a game based on traditional MMO elements that are old, outdated and smacks of more of the same. But we do thank you for coming here to bitch and moan about people that bitch and moan trying to protect a beloved IP from being bastardized by a company stuck 10 years in the past.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MildozeMildoze Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Oh there was a time when I was leary about this whole thing. I'm realizing now that there is good reason for them keeping this thing under wraps for so long. I, like so many others cried foul when I heard they we're to make an ES MMO. Now, after listening in to all these fireside chats, I must say with all ernsty, that I am extremely impressed. I hope to get a shot at this beta, but either way, short of some sort of terrible outcry from the eventual open beta, I think this one is going to be a day one purchase for me.

• GeinochGeinoch Member Posts: 17

I'm really looking forward for this game... I just subscribe for the BETA =) I'm hoping I'll be picked.

(Sorry for my english)

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    My friends and I have been waiting for an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. Here's to hoping they get it right, I have faith!

They haven't. If you like me have been hoping for a true Elder Scrolls MMO this isn't it. This is DAoC 2 in Tamriel. Not saying it will be a bad game, and maybe it'll be fun to play, but take it for what it is. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

DAoC 2 in Tamriel. I'm fine with that. Actually more than fine, CANT WAIT. GIEF DAoC 2 NOW PLEEZ! :D

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Loking forward to playing the beta soon :)
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Yukmarc

Probably because if Mr Firor wants to make DAoC2 then he should make DAoC2.

Not twist and butcher The Elder Scrolls IP into making it DAoC2

I would love to see a DAoC2. I just dont want to see the ruination of Elder Scrolls just for the sake of it

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I like the idea of crafting being important, but not at the expense of adventurers who aren't interested in it at all.  Let's hope they can make the reward systems actually rewarding for everyone.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

DAoC 2.0 in Tamriel sounds a lot better than anything else being drummed up the past few years. In fact that excites me even more!

I loved DAoC and if this is version 2 of that game I am all in. With it set in Tameriel its even better. Along with crafting that actualy has a use and is on par with dropped loot is starting to make think this maybe the mmo to keep me bussy for a long time.

As for hype I didn't get any urge to play GW2 nor do I have any urge to play it. I hated GW1 so stayed away from the second outting of the game. SWTOR failed due to poor design not poor pvp. SWTOR over all was a poor game it was just WoW mechanics with Star Wars paint over it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by Yukmarc

Probably because if Mr Firor wants to make DAoC2 then he should make DAoC2.

Not twist and butcher The Elder Scrolls IP into making it DAoC2

I would love to see a DAoC2. I just dont want to see the ruination of Elder Scrolls just for the sake of it

The elderscrolls IP has been dead since Oblivion launched.

• RashmeindRashmeind Member Posts: 18
    Um, they had a cool trailer.  That means the game will be GREAT right?  It work for SWTOR... oh. wait.  I have high hopes for ESO, now excuse me while I go play beta.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I'm certainly excited about this game. While I was initially skeptical of it, the subsequent information releases have eased that feeling. I've signed up for the beta and I'm eagerly awaiting more information of the skill systems, combat, and character development. The tidbits they've given us have certainly whet my appetite and encouraged me to sign up for beta. I'm a diehard for the series and dream of raids in some Daedric realm. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Rash
    Eve has great trailers
  • erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Everyone is going all ga-ga over this game and it looks just liike another wow clone. Besides, history has shown us that MMO's never have been as good as the console games of the same series.

This will most likely be another failure. But then this is what the gaming world has been for the last 5-7 years.

No surprise here.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by erikk3189

Everyone is going all ga-ga over this game and it looks just liike another wow clone. Besides, history has shown us that MMO's never have been as good as the console games of the same series.

This will most likely be another failure. But then this is what the gaming world has been for the last 5-7 years.

No surprise here.

TES series are not console games...

• xFortunadoxxFortunadox Member UncommonPosts: 5

DAoC 2 in the Tamriel.  Man.  If only we could cut out the Tamriel part.

I struggle to think of any point in any MMO that can capture as much fun and excitement as Pre-Toa RVR.  DAoC doesn't need additional assistance from other IP to succeed.  What it does need is a competent group of developers that will:

1) Advertise their game properly.

2) Listen to their playerbase.

3) Make it P2P.

4) Avoid almost every mechanic that WoW follows.

It's like Matt Firor was unable to get the funding to make a sequel to the game, so he decided to just make a spiritual successor and drag The Elder Scrolls into the ground along with it.

Not looking promising.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by xFortunadox

DAoC 2 in the Tamriel.  Man.  If only we could cut out the Tamriel part.

I struggle to think of any point in any MMO that can capture as much fun and excitement as Pre-Toa RVR.  DAoC doesn't need additional assistance from other IP to succeed.  What it does need is a competent group of developers that will:

1) Advertise their game properly.

2) Listen to their playerbase.

3) Make it P2P.

4) Avoid almost every mechanic that WoW follows.

It's like Matt Firor was unable to get the funding to make a sequel to the game, so he decided to just make a spiritual successor and drag The Elder Scrolls into the ground along with it.

Not looking promising.

Sadly, it will barely be a spiritual successor. It'll have zones, instancing, phasing, arenas, and other instanced casual garbage.