Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: Paul Sage Talks Beta, Crafting, and Progression

Comments

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    My friends and I have been waiting for an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. Here's to hoping they get it right, I have faith!

They haven't. If you like me have been hoping for a true Elder Scrolls MMO this isn't it. This is DAoC 2 in Tamriel. Not saying it will be a bad game, and maybe it'll be fun to play, but take it for what it is. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

You know this how?Have you played the  game?Niether have I and I still think it looks pretty good.What about this game in your vast experience makes it not a true Elder Scrolls MMO?I love comments like this without any real explanation as to why you think your right and everyone else is wrong.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    I don't want lateral progression. To me that means tiered gear. 
  • sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by sbrite10

You know this how?Have you played the  game?Niether have I and I still think it looks pretty good.What about this game in your vast experience makes it not a true Elder Scrolls MMO?I love comments like this without any real explanation as to why you think your right and everyone else is wrong.

To be fair, I think everyone recognizes that what an Elder Scrolls single player game does and what this game is going to do are two completely different things.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This game will be the suprise hit of 2013.

Feel free to quote me in future ;j

No it really will not. As with every single last clone with a twist, inital sales, hype and praise are through the roof, then 25% dont go past the first free month, 50% have quit by the third month and the game is deemed a failure by the wider community, 75% gone by 6 months, 90% gone by a year and the game goes f2p or b2p or should go.

Then we get the next clone hyped as the 'next big thing' and it starts over. Where have you been the past decade?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by bendwc10
    If crafting is an important part of this game,  which it wasn't for Rift or GW2, then they have my attention. However, I'm still hesitant to get too hyped until I see some meaningful info and gameplay.

this guy worked on UO.  His boss worked on DAOC.  Crafting is extremely important in both thoose games and the TES single player series,  I think crafting will have a larger slice of the pie than in your typical wow style mmo.

this is how hypes are created ladies and gents......no dev even has the balls these days to create something like UO so dont hype it up to be just like UO ok?

Even modern day mmo's dont even come close when it comes to community like UO had back in the days.......i played it more then 10 years ago and still remember this guy who was grandmaster smith with an awesome rep (lord Ullysees, spelling might be off but this guy was just known for quality crafted items.)

These days we dont even remember who was in our party last night.....community = gone.

And when there is no community feeling there will be no trading with people, maybe just a AH like all games have these days so you don't have to talk to people ingame.

just mho :)

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I'm not hyped up for this game, but i am excited for it. I'm keeping an eye out and I already signed up for beta as soon as the video dropped. I love TES, and i'll support this game if i really like it. I think people are just hating on this because you can't use the command prompt to get a whole bunch of cheese wheels and drop them down a mountain on someone.
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

cant wait to try it out :3

hopefully it will keep me busy not just for a couple of hours or so heh XD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I don't mind saying I'm hyped up for this game, however I am being a bit more cautious.  As we have all learned, hype can be deceiving.  I hope it isn't another GW2 or Diablo 3 dissappointment.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Eh - if they pull of the combat and advancement right - we can hope for one day being able to push for a FFA PvP server.

I'm just tired of games with - stale combat, stale advancement (progression), and stale content.

If they can fix just one of those gripes - I'd be willing to put $ down.

Now it could be dev speak but in the interview, Paul Sage says that reaching the level cap is approximately 1/3rd of the way through progression and I'm willing to bet this doesn't include vertical gear progression.  I know we've all been burnt before but theres nothing wrong with trusting what the devs say.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187
    i dont like the idea of joining multiple guilds
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Eh - if they pull of the combat and advancement right - we can hope for one day being able to push for a FFA PvP server.

I'm just tired of games with - stale combat, stale advancement (progression), and stale content.

If they can fix just one of those gripes - I'd be willing to put $ down.

Now it could be dev speak but in the interview, Paul Sage says that reaching the level cap is approximately 1/3rd of the way through progression and I'm willing to bet this doesn't include vertical gear progression.  I know we've all been burnt before but theres nothing wrong with trusting what the devs say.

There's absolutely everything wrong with trusting what anyone has to say, particulary people attempting to make a buck. I mean, you even mentioned it in your post: we've all been burned. How many times does it take to learn a lesson? Scientifically speaking, I have no fucking clue.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

Hey guys, do you reckon I can shoot scaling ladders at the wall and all like do flips and rolls while throwing 1 shot daggers from my awesome ninja clothes then can i like cut ladder ropes and fall 10 storeys into a dive roll and live and then give death stares to elf chicks!

Anyone here really think that video in any way represented the game, no story, no motives, nothing of any value at all, and to top it off they basically said heres a whole bunch of acrobatics and attack moves that won't be in the game and that you won't be able to replicate within the game at all, dont worry though this game has elves!

Heres a perspective. Go watch any WoW cinematic video and ask yourself the question "Is this possible in the game or does this exist in the game?". Then watch the TESO cinematic and ask the same question.

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210
    I cant; wait this is goign to be huge!!!
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by kiersteadmo
    I cant; wait this is goign to be huge!!!

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I enjoyed that podcast and I like the focus towards meaninful crafting.  Be cool to see how that turns out, can't wait for the full release it looks epic
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I personally think this will be best MMO of 2013. I love when new company's like Zenimax and Betheda enter a whole new market as I find new developers in this genre are the only ones able to break the mold of the crap we have been handed over the last 7 years.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy
    I personally think this will be best MMO of 2013. I love when new company's like Zenimax and Betheda enter a whole new market as I find new developers in this genre are the only ones able to break the mold of the crap we have been handed over the last 7 years.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062

For years I've thought that if they directly translated TES games into a MMO format, that'd it'd be a fun world to explore with other players. Notice, I said directly translate. What I've heard so far has shown me that they've made concessions or have tweaked what we know to appeal to the mass market I'd guess you'd say.

1. Having factions is a big NO NO! Other than the guilds and armies/rebellions we've seen in TES series, since when were there restrictive racial factions the way we're seeing them in TESO? We should be able to pick a race and explore the world just like in TES games. We should be able to join guilds (Fighters, Mages, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood etc) as well. 

2. Lack of the Imperial Race. Why? It's my favorite race and what I usually play. Once again, another unacceptable departure.

3. Housing. A staple in every TES game so far, yet it's not going to be in at release for TESO?

4. Werewolves and Vampires. Not sure if we can contract this virus in TESO, but another feature in the series.

5. Open ended skill system. Play as you want, no classes. This is by far one of the hugest issues I have.

6. Hotbars. You could assign a limited amount of spells, potions, and weapons to activity slots, but there weren't usuable skills and certainly not any Elite skills. This is a copy from games like GW2, and a huge departure from TES series. Unacceptable and a game killer for me.

7. Thievery. You could attempt to steal anything you wanted, break in anywhere, the jail system, and kill any NPC's you wanted. There were consequences, but that freedom is huge in TES series. If it's not in the game, then it's just another reason why TESO isn't a true TES game.

8. Heavily instanced. Every TES game was open world. Dungeons and buildings were instanced, but nothing else. It should remain that way for TESO. Shards is another huge turnoff. Haven't liked its implementation in any game that's used them so far (AOC, SWG, TSW etc). 

That's all I can think of right now. Basically, they're taking things out of the series that I considered staples of the series, puting things in to accomodate the MMO crowd that's never been in a TES game, sharding up and instancing the game. IMHO, the game may be TES in spirit, but not an actual TES game. Probably could slap another name on it and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this game and most other MMORPG's. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nate
    1 you join one of three mutually exclusive factions in Morrowind, you join one of two in skyrim (with an additional one of two if you have dawnguard)
    You CAN join the 4 guilds.
    2 at the time the empire doesn't exist
    3 I agree, this is one if the reasons I get annoyed at the "just daoc 2" arguments. Daoc had a good housing system.
    4 you can be a werewolf and a vampire
    5 sounds like the classes are very loose, expect something along the lines of Morrowind / oblivion meets rift. Won't be free building like skyrim though.
    6 I see no difference between the hotbar and the q button in skyrim, except the hotbar is more pc UI orientated rather than console. You can't pause a mmo they can't make it exactly the same.
    7 who knows, they have theives guild and dark brotherhood, bit don't know if you can actually pickpockrt and stuff
    8 I don't like shards and the megaserver would prefer normal servers because they could then implement 3 ruleset like daoc, which would satisfy the "why can't I make my own faction" crowd on a ffa server, the "why can't I play my orc with my khajit buddy" crowd on the coop server and the "why can't I go everywhere" crowd on both. As for if its heavily instanced or not, can't tell until I play it. I seriously doubt it will be swtor like in that regard, but if it is I will be the first to flame it. They do have EQ / DAOC style open dungeons. The leveling pve is supposed to be exploration rather than quest hub based. I agree with you I hate sharding too, although I did like coh a lot, played it for years without even realising it was sharded. Bloody hated Aoc and swtor though.
  • wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

All new mmo's are the best thing since sliced bread until they come out.. Seen mmo's go from hero's to zero's in less than month.

I do want to play this game, but I am not going to hype myself, in fact keeping expections low, I find that has worked well for me after years of gaming and let downs,, crossing my fingers...:)

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

"What do you think of all we know of TESO so far? Are you signed up? Or are you waiting to see what the game has to offer?"

I think there are a couple of things I'm still not completely certain about, but they won't be fully borne out, in my mind, before I get to play the game, and there's no reason to bring them up, here.

I am signed up; my sons and I signed up yesterday.  Because we have only one, perhaps two, computers that would be able to run the game, however, we've signed up together on one.  The reason all three of us signed up is because each of us has different ideas of what we like from game-play, different levels of experience with game-play and beta-testing, and each of us write's differently.  I would rather be honest and up-front than sneaky.

I am waiting to see what the game has to offer, though I'll tell you that I loved Oblivion to death, have not been able to play Skyrim or Morrowind, as yet, but the quality I've heard of from all three games, with regards to story, tasks, fighting, and advancement makes me want to play this game a good deal.  Yesterday's trailer, though I understand those are NOT in-game graphics, gives me that same sense of quality of craftsmanship from the previous games, made me pant and want more, like a television show on Machinima, as has been done with Dragon Age (Felicia Day is hot), HALO 4: Forward Unto Dawn, and the non-game entity, BattleStar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, all of which were superior for being free internet programming.  I will be very happy to start out with the game, however, and go from there.

Mr. Sage expressed that people would WANT to participate in PvP, and I am here to tell him that I want to play in an adventure, I want to discover the story, I absolutely blow at PvP, and will have nothing to do with it.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I am glad crafting was covered. It sounds like crafting in TESO will be just like every other themepark. Mr. Sage made it obvious that there will be other means of getting the best gear. It looks like The repopulation is my last hope for an mmo that stresses the importance of a crafting dependant economy. Crafting is definitley an afterthought in mmo's these days.
  • MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

I like this guy i mean the guy who asks questions very good job!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Bigsmiff. How does what he said about crafting make it sound like a typical themepark?

If it was typical themepark he would say "raiders will get everything, pvpers will come second, crafters get the scraps"

He don't say that at all, he said you will need to do everything if you want the best of everything.

I don't think it will be as craft orientated as a full on sandbox like eve. It can't be with no player looting and item wear to drive the ecconomy. But I think they will make crafting as important as it was in daoc, which is a huge step up from how wow type games handle crafting. They mentioned soul gems and soul trap before so hopefully the actual crafting process is as good as skyrim too.