Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: Paul Sage Talks Beta, Crafting, and Progression

Comments

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I thought the interview really was extremely vague.   And yes he said basically the same thing every single other mmos have pretty much said entering beta.

graphics look amazing , lets hope the game is as well.

Just scared that this mmo having so much money invested in it, will take the safe route like all other AAA titles

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Denizig

No arena or warzones as they detract from ava. (good move imo)

No housing either.

Don't know the rest
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Thank god there are no warzones, you can't have an open pvp war going on in a zone and then give people an easy route to pvp..most people will pick the easier route and you'll end up having an empty cyrodill.
  • xArsonistxxArsonistx Member Posts: 31

Combat sounds good. I worry about the megaserver sounds like a fancy work for instance lol.

The AvA sounds just like GW2 Im cautious about this if its just a ton of randoms all thrown together to fight for nothing its not going to work out too well. They would be wise to make people choose a specific "server" or something to fight for anytime they goto pvp kinda like gw2 guesting.

People must be able to build reputations and be seen an feared in MMO pvp that is what keeps people playing.

Also just on a personal note if you can't see enemys names I wont play im so sick of that.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    I'm signed up, and looking forward to trying this game.  Very interested in how AvA works, and how well the economy works overall with crafting and such.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Having been a big fan of DAOC Pre-TOA on Guinevere/Midgard, I have hopes TES can be the next game I get really excited for and can't wait to log in each day. I'm not going to get myself hyped up though. I'll wait and see, once I get my hands on the game I can decide. I'm hoping the crafting is a lot like it was in DAOC. I remember on Guin/Mid the whole community would help our high level crafters out with materials and gold, just get their skills to max. The whole realm worked together like that, the people were excellent.

I kind of hope TES is very DAOC Pre-ToA  like, I'd much rather play with a few hundred thousand people as a community than the millions of easy mode casuals we have in the larger games. We shall see....

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DeiderDeider Member Posts: 15
    Cant wait to get my hands on it!
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by black_isle

I wish there were some Argonians and Khajit too in the trailer. That would give it more character aside from other things but one thing i don't understand is why is the Altmer not golden skinned. Aside from that it is an incredible cinematic and i literally can't tell if it's part live action part cgi or full cgi.

Btw, are they still on Hero engine? That's my biggest gripe about the game. All the other concerns getting looked at imo and it will be a pretty good game probably (i can't help but be optimistic about it being a huge TES fan). In the end i'm excited, can't lie.

It's cgi look at the eyes.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by bcbully

*raises hand*

The combat and itemization sound really good, but I think confining pvp to a single zone will hurt this game replayability. I'm really concerned about his. I'm concerned from experience. Swtor, TSW, and GW2 tried this. As a pvpr these 3 games all lacked staying power.

GW2 failed with it's WvW because there was no damn incentive other than "I want my server to be the best in the world", dumbest decision they made in the game imo. There was no server pride as people freely jumped from server to server and the lack of identity really hurt it aswell. There was no progression either and it turned into massive zergs and contrary to popular belief there wasn't much meaningful or even fun times to be had in a small group.

DAoC had the best PvP ever imo, and that was confined into one zone. And I would still be playing DAoC but the movement and controls are just too damn dated.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    An TES mmo is still not what I want after having played all entries to the series. They ae making it sound like a mixture of other mmo's set on tamtriel.. I have my doubt but shall try the game/beta nonetheless. Though having a populair SP game and turning it into a MMO, just by using the same name, lore/races and adding some fancy trailers hasnt been a (financial) success since WoW.. (and no I personally cant stand that game so dont even start)

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Denizig

No arena or warzones as they detract from ava. (good move imo)

No housing either.

Don't know the rest

Yea. Thanks. I've heard there was no arena, but no warzones? So, I guess we can scratch competitive PvP. Which means it's all about zerg pvp, GW2 style.

I really hope they plan to have alternative leveling zones and alternative means of character leveling. 

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Just keeping the hype level in check here. I'm hoping the crafting system knocks my socks off, cause otherwise from what I've seen, looks pretty GW2ish which I just didn't catch on to.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

More or less like anything else in the entertainment industry, you have to wait and see for yourself. 

If ten of your friends come home and tell you that the new Batman movie was the best yet, and you are going to love it like you have never loved a movie before...you are going to go that movie all jacked up and ready for an amazing experience....only to find it is just another Batman movie...good movie, but just a movie. 

If you went to that same movie before everyone got your hopes up, it would have seemed like a great movie. and you would have been the one going around telling all of your friends what a great movie it is. 

Keep your hopes, dreams,assumptions, and expectations to a minimum, and you will probably enjoy any game more then you do after coming here and reading everyone elses opinions. 

I practice what I preach and it allowed me to really enjoy Guild Wars 2, andI expect it will be the same for Elder Scrolls Online.....unless it has a subscription fee...then I will most likely stop playing after the beta.

Not so nice guy!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    There will be NO hype from me until I start seeing a game that isnt DaoC 2 in a TES skin...so far, the only thing non-daoc I have seen is an open character system.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    My friends and I have been waiting for an Elder Scrolls MMO since Morrowind. Here's to hoping they get it right, I have faith!

They haven't. If you like me have been hoping for a true Elder Scrolls MMO this isn't it. This is DAoC 2 in Tamriel. Not saying it will be a bad game, and maybe it'll be fun to play, but take it for what it is. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed.

if that is true i will be playing it for years to come. sorry but DAOC was one of the best MMORPGs EVER so saying its DAOC 2 in Tamriel is a compliment.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Hype. Means nothing to me.

I do hope I get into the beta though. image

• bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    If crafting is an important part of this game,  which it wasn't for Rift or GW2, then they have my attention. However, I'm still hesitant to get too hyped until I see some meaningful info and gameplay.
    Originally posted by bendwc10
    If crafting is an important part of this game,  which it wasn't for Rift or GW2, then they have my attention. However, I'm still hesitant to get too hyped until I see some meaningful info and gameplay.

this guy worked on UO.  His boss worked on DAOC.  Crafting is extremely important in both thoose games and the TES single player series,  I think crafting will have a larger slice of the pie than in your typical wow style mmo.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

*raises hand*

The combat and itemization sound really good, but I think confining pvp to a single zone will hurt this game replayability. I'm really concerned about his. I'm concerned from experience. Swtor, TSW, and GW2 tried this. As a pvpr these 3 games all lacked staying power.

I like a lot of what I'm reading about the game, but I, too, would rather have PVP in all zones. At least they could put in a WOW-like flagging system where you couldn't initiate a fight in the two enemy territories unless the enemy was flagged for PVP, but you could, of course, attack them in your own homeland or in Cyrodil.

The fact that you can't even visit the enemy territories is a bit disappointing. Almost guarantees I'd roll three characters from the get go. :)

As of now, this is my one big beef with the game. Maybe along with "no aggro tanking", if I heard that right.

Originally posted by Sideras

*raises hand*

GW2 failed with it's WvW because there was no damn incentive other than "I want my server to be the best in the world", dumbest decision they made in the game imo. There was no server pride as people freely jumped from server to server and the lack of identity really hurt it aswell. There was no progression either and it turned into massive zergs and contrary to popular belief there wasn't much meaningful or even fun times to be had in a small group.

DAoC had the best PvP ever imo, and that was confined into one zone. And I would still be playing DAoC but the movement and controls are just too damn dated.

also add NO RIVALRY.  I just got killed by random nameless dude from some unknown guild from that server we happen to be randomly paired with this week.

Theres no real reason to control the map in planetside 2 either, but i find it way way more enjoyavble than wvw as I have rivals and best enemies.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

This game will be the suprise hit of 2013.

Feel free to quote me in future ;j

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

I expect it to be torn to shreads here like all the past MMO's. People seem to feed on saying negative things about any game. Beta was just annouced and the trash talk started and will continue.

I for one am looking forward to ESO.

• renadirenadi Member Posts: 19

Well, they're making it sound better and better, I was leery at first but everything he's said intrigued me.

Course, that could just be his job.

• VulturnusVulturnus Member Posts: 36
    basically every MMO that has come out for a very long time has been a failure. As a gamer who wants a good fantasy MMO you go from being excited about new games coming out to just not giving a crap. But this has to spark interest because the game will be based mainly off three very successful single player games that had large open worlds with awesome detail that kinda made you feel like you were in a good MMO. At the same time anyone will tell you of releases that were sure to be great but were a total failure. For me as a long time DAoC player and warhammer fan WAR was a total failure of epic proportions. My main concern is character progression, it was total crap in oblivian, improved in skyrim but still not good as a system for an MMO. They need a LOT of attention there.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

My hype level goes up every time someone mentions DAoC in a TESO thread :( I can't control it damnit.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann