Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused (and possibly hopeful)

MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Here is a question posted in the latest "Ask us anything" thread over at the TESO website: -

Throughout the Elder Scrolls series, there has been enmity towards the Orsimer on the part of the Bretons and Redguard. Even though the Orsimer are a part of the Daggerfall Covenant, will we see any level of enmity towards Orsimer NPCs and Orsimer players contained in quests, quest-giver dialogue or general NPC chatter/dialogue? – By Hwrath go-Khash

A political treaty like the Daggerfall Covenant doesn’t necessarily change the attitudes of the people whose leaders signed the treaty. Some people, tired of conflict between the races, have embraced the alliance, while others still regard their old antagonists with suspicion, or even open hostility.

Now the reason I post this is it has me confussed. With the way the factions are set-up so that their 3 faction PvP works, I have always disliked how they are restricting things, to get it to work. Races are locked into particular factions, factions lands locked to non factions etc. But the above answer gives me hope they understand what locking down everything does to the possibilities for the game and that perhaps they have (or at least might be considering) openning up race/faction locks to allow people to be openly hostile to factions, even if officially supported by their racial faction.

Is it just whishful thinking on my part and am I reading too much into it? Being able to create an Orc that doesn't want to help the faction and wants to openly join another faction (for example) would be so great in terms of gameplay and characterisation as well as political and PvP possibilities....your in Cyrodil, see a fellow Orc, wave a greeting....they are not part of the covenent!!!

What do you think?

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

What do you think?

I think it's all just fluff to make you buy the game. I think they didn't flesh out the important systems (combat, PVP, questing, crafting, anything really), they don't have anything to show and are keeping hype with these lore/political tidbits.

I think it's very concerning, especially knowing that the game should launch in 2013 and is closing in on beta in couple of months.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I agree the lack of any real inforamtion about the game is annoying. And while lore is good to have, at the moment they are giving us lots of lore info and nothing to build upon to use the lore.

I mean, one of the thoughts I had about a character concept was to be a Breton living in exile selling weapons to those fighting over the crown. The lore I have so far tells me there is a lot of conflict and all the background as to why people are fighting but at the moment my character concept based on the lore is potentially impossible. Another thought I had was of playing an Orc, at odds with his family who chooses to join one of the other factions because he will not serve for or along side any stinking Redguard.

Basically the lore is great but we need mechanics to build the framework for the lore to sit upon. that is why I hope they are writing things knowing that it isn't just bull. I hope they write about 'open hostility' between allied factions races and actually mean it. I hope you can play an Orc and actually fight 'against' the faction you are 'ment' to be a part of.

I hope.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    well they did say you could become a werewolf and a vampire so im wondering will that affect your faction?
  • FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    well they did say you could become a werewolf and a vampire so im wondering will that affect your faction?

You'll join the secret fourth faction, along with lawyers and other assorted vermin.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66

Good point.

In every TES game since Morrowind, you would see every race in the game enviroment and even play as every race. I reckon there was an Argonian trader in the town of Chorrol in TES 4 Oblivion. So shouldnt we also interact with NPC of different races in ESO. Being a Nord, you would maybe interact with a Redguard NPC.

Maybe you will be able to exile your character into another faction.

Fun fact : The TES games are happening in the 3rd and 4th era of the Elder Scrolls timeline. ESO is happening in the 2nd era. Maybe the racial borders were more strict back then ;)