Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

complete scam

2»

Comments

• bishbosh2bishbosh2 Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by bishbosh2
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by bishbosh2

well no you cant what you whatever you want with unity unless your purchase the full source code license. I cant find anything suggesting they have purchased a full source code license.

I dont think that is 1000 real players connected through a network. looks like AI to me and even after that how can we know what the hit registry is like, it looks laggy as well and it froze up at one time. that video doesnt prove the point you are trying to make.

like i said there is no proof of the these middleware solutions effectiveness. it doesnt matter that the company puts all their resources into making it work. Im not sure if you have any programming experience with non managed languages and game engines but writing your own code in c++ will always execute faster simply because you have you full control over what is happening. I can give you an example based on my real experience. 2d physics runs like shit on unity because Nvidia physx has crap ton of overhead  that needs to be run even when using it in 2d mode. If you write your own engine and use box2d or write your own 2d physics your game will run faster than it would have using unity. 

Unity is so flexible without the source code there is basically no need for it...

Ah yes sorry it was not 1000 players it was acutally 999.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MuchDifferent-Man-Vs-Machine-FPS-Server-Networking,14590.html

So proof there that middleware works, as at the time it beat SOEs planetside .. tho im pretty sure PS2 has now topped that but i guess SOE have super servers running that game.

As for Physics, there are 2d physics addons available in the unity asset store so you dont need to use physx.. thats what im saying you can write so many different plugins for unity it jsut makes it very flexible..

Now would an in-house engine be more flexible.. yes it probally would, but you would then need the in-house programmers that are capable of writing an engine from the ground up including all the networking code and so on.. Indie companies do not have the finances to support this kind of development path, hell even some big companies dont these days.

Unity and other 3rd party engines are one of the best things to happen to the gaming industry.. giving peopel access to tech to makes games they never would have had..

Anyway this has gone off the ponit as they are now using Hero Engine by the looks of it.. another great engine to use for an MMO, if you can be bothered to learn heroscript..

its still just a test, its not an actual game. since there is no commercial release or public test available how do we know how it plays in terms of responsiveness, lag, hit detection. 

there is nothing wrong with 3rd party game engines when you buy a proprietary license with source code. 

i dont see how you can support 3rd party engines with no source code access like hero engine and unity for use in mmorpgs when there are no working examples that prove their suitability for such a task!!!!

it is not a question of learning how to use hero script. hero script is very easy to learn especially for someone who has experience with c/c++. the core concepts of any OOP language are pretty much the same. C++ gives the user control over memory and pointers and stuff. inexperienced devs should not be making mmorpgs plain and simple. if you cant write your own engine or afford a full source code license  you shouldnt be making a mmorpg.

• AbyssussAbyssuss Member Posts: 85
    I can't see how this is a scam, I cant wait to see Greed Monger coming out, sounds a bt like UO. keep it up :)
This discussion has been closed.