Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new MMO (or online game) with a strong presence of PvP.

124»

Comments

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Wow doesnt belong on a best of the best list as far as pvp is cconcerned. wow and its various clones are what is wrong with mmo pvp. Wow popularised the following shit pvp mechanics with mmo devs.
    1 ghetto off pvpers Into meaningless trivial ctf style mini games
    2 stupid separate special pvp stat.
    3 grind tokens for gear, even if you loose you progress, so once you start loosing a pointless Mini game, roll over and die you get tokens quicker that way.
    4 even when you introduce "outdoors" pvp, put it on a bloody timer so it plays exactly like the pointless minigames
    5 sell the lie that is Esports within a mmo and waste an eternity trying to do impossible 1 vs 1 balance.

WOW KILLED MMO PVP

It belongs on a worst of the worst list.

You are either smoking something, or just trying to bash the game. None of that stuff has anything to do with PVP mechanics, and all those things are singular to this game. So how did this kill mmo pvp? Most people want something to come out of pvp i.e. gear rewards, titles, yada yada.... Everything that Blizzard has done in WoW pvp has kept people playing and wanting to come back to the game for years now. 

Sure I had my most fun times back in TBC and Vanilla World pvp, but not everyone wants to just pvp for the sake of pvp. To say that WoW killed mmo pvp is just idiotic. They are simply just trying to be open to a larger crowd, and I think that they have proven successful at that with the number of players they have.

Also your post has nothing to do with this thread at all

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow killed mmo pvp. The people satisfied with being treat like second class citizens in games like wow are the idiots.

90% of games since have copied its shit pvp model

My post is entirely relevant. Op is looking for a good pvp game. Wow Is not a good pvp game it is a raiding game ran by ex EQ hardcore raiders with token ghettoised pvp.
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Mortal Online

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Battlefield 3, very open world pvp based game.
  • KalendosKalendos Member CommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by lennpell
    Originally posted by Kalendos
    Did you tried BLC? Im playing it, the worst thing it's tath is not a famous game, so you can see a lack of people searching games at some time of the day. 

What is BLC? Never heard of it so I wouldn't know the acronym

Bloodline Champions. Sorry for the aconym.

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by jocieB
    Originally posted by lennpell
    Originally posted by jocieB

Disclaimer:  Not a hardcore gamer and don't even know what "phased like LoL" means - so you can take my suggestions with a pinch of salt. 

Defiance:  closed BETA and still under NDA but worth researching and after taking part in the stress test, last weekend's beta and openworld PvP, I had shedloads of fun!  There wasn't enough time to look into the strategy of the game but it was highly immersive and that's probably all I can get away with saying.  Nothing to lose by registering for the next beta event.

The Secret World:  PvP is a joke there at the moment and unless you research the faction-(cough)-"balance" and the dimensions with scrutiny, your PvP experience may prove unsatisfying.  But get it right (or wait for Funcom to get it right - er... lol?) and it can be awesome.  And the rest of the gameplay kicked ass for me too.  (Also had Crimecraft recommended to me - but the same guy recommended APB and that sucked, so I am wary). 

I can't tell you how tired I am of elves and shit so, again, probably not going to be giving you ideas that you'll actually like - but good luck in your search! 

Yes someone else has mentioned Defiance, and your mention again has piqued my interest, so I will take a greater look into it, and just for your reference, phased like LoL kind of means like instanced if youve played WoW, there is no streamlined game its all just its own entity every single time. I feel your opinions though mate, thanks so much for responding!

AAh, thanks (never played WoW).  Hopefully see (kill) you in the next beta then.  ;)

Hahah, we will see who kills who my friend ;P

Originally posted by ninjapy

I am an Old School Gamer. From the days of pong to now. I, like yourself , have been trying to find a New MMO with PVP. A place where PVP is the MMO. There is nothing new. Heres my Best of the Best List.

DAOC- (Dark Age of Camelot) Fast track leveling to Big Boy RVR or HAve a toon for each BG. But low population. Still the Best.

Eve Online - Doesn't fit your criteria (sci-fi) but PVP is amazing. Single PVP or massive fleet battles. But major time sink.

WOW- I play on a PVP server, so world PVP. A good amount of BG's. Needs an open PVP world like DAOC Frontiers.

GW2 - Only reason i list this is because it has Siege Warfare which i love. But i found myself quickly bored and running all over the place looking for a decent battle.

WOT - (World of Tanks) Not a fantasy mmo but needs an Honorable Mention. Great fill in when the Above listed get boring.

Good Luck in your search.

Yes so many people have mentioned DAOC, so if cloud feels it is worth playing I'll hop into that, as for right now Ive downloaded tera and plan to give that a go tonight to have a feel for the gameplay and if it is worth anything by free release I might just be playing that, who knows.

Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    Wow doesnt belong on a best of the best list as far as pvp is cconcerned. wow and its various clones are what is wrong with mmo pvp. Wow popularised the following shit pvp mechanics with mmo devs.
    1 ghetto off pvpers Into meaningless trivial ctf style mini games
    2 stupid separate special pvp stat.
    3 grind tokens for gear, even if you loose you progress, so once you start loosing a pointless Mini game, roll over and die you get tokens quicker that way.
    4 even when you introduce "outdoors" pvp, put it on a bloody timer so it plays exactly like the pointless minigames
    5 sell the lie that is Esports within a mmo and waste an eternity trying to do impossible 1 vs 1 balance.

WOW KILLED MMO PVP

It belongs on a worst of the worst list.

You are either smoking something, or just trying to bash the game. None of that stuff has anything to do with PVP mechanics, and all those things are singular to this game. So how did this kill mmo pvp? Most people want something to come out of pvp i.e. gear rewards, titles, yada yada.... Everything that Blizzard has done in WoW pvp has kept people playing and wanting to come back to the game for years now. 

Sure I had my most fun times back in TBC and Vanilla World pvp, but not everyone wants to just pvp for the sake of pvp. To say that WoW killed mmo pvp is just idiotic. They are simply just trying to be open to a larger crowd, and I think that they have proven successful at that with the number of players they have.

Also your post has nothing to do with this thread at all

As for WoW killing PvP I disagree simply because the other companies didn't have to choose to follow what WoW had done, they made that decision on their own so it is their own fault. Now whether WoW's PvP is good or bad is not for me really to decide because I am simply a player not a developer, if people play it, it works.

Wow killed mmo pvp. The people satisfied with being treat like second class citizens in games like wow are the idiots.

My post is entirely relevant. Op is looking for a good pvp game. Wow Is not a good pvp game it is a raiding game ran by ex EQ hardcore raiders with token ghettoised pvp.

Lol.. Second class citizens? wtf are you talking about. If 90% of the games are copying it's pvp model then something must be right about it. I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about lol.

He already doesn't want to play WoW and stated it hasn't been good since TBC. So this still isn't relevant.

Lol.. Second class citizens? wtf are you talking about. If 90% of the games are copying it's pvp model then something must be right about it. I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about lol.

He already doesn't want to play WoW and stated it hasn't been good since TBC. So this still isn't relevant.

Speaking of which I've been trying out tera, it feels like its going to be a grind to level up but the combat seems pretty well off, only level 9 though.

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Get so sick of people talking about WoW like it created anything and didnt steal everything from other games and repolish it.

Originally posted by pauly6478

Get so sick of people talking about WoW like it created anything and didnt steal everything from other games and repolish it.

This is the same in anything, something will always have similarities to something else. It's not stealing, the first game to implement questing doesnt own the idea of questing lol. There is no such thing as a game that is completely different.

Originally posted by pauly6478

This is the same in anything, something will always have similarities to something else. It's not stealing, the first game to implement questing doesnt own the idea of questing lol. There is no such thing as a game that is completely different.

^Agree

Still on the hunt, Trying out Path of Exile when it finishes in about 30%.

Played DAoC for about 30 mins. It was fun, but playing an MMO alone is quite boring, especially when you don't know what you are doing. It seemed like it had a decent amount of people on it.

Still on the hunt, Trying out Path of Exile when it finishes in about 30%.

Played DAoC for about 30 mins. It was fun, but playing an MMO alone is quite boring, especially when you don't know what you are doing. It seemed like it had a decent amount of people on it.

I tried TERA yesterday and found it to be very interesting, fps format but played like an MMO, I quite liked it but it won't allow you to pvp in the trial, so I have to wait till later in february for the full f2p release to try the PvP and from there I might just play this game, other than that thanks for scouting out DAoC, I think when you play Path of Exile youll notice its like diablo 3 with a different skin and some different elements, but hope you find something, if not give tera a try and maybe we could meet up on there if we both decide we like it?