Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best economy and crafting in any MMO ive played

plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

There is so much to do in Age of Wushu that it is mind boggling!

However 80% of the game i have still yet to experience because im so addicted to the economy of this game. The crafting/econmy combo is sooo well done. ive probably put 100+ hours into silk farming and i obsessively ensure that my market stall is up and running at all hours possible.  i even found myself logging on at 4am after getting up for a pee just so i could reset my market stall (they stop after 4 hours offline)

The crafting also is unique and complex compared to your standard MMO with mini games that initially sounded a bit cheesy but i now find them very enjoyable.

If becoming a virtual millionaire is your thing i heartily reccomend you take a look

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

Comments

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

I just started this game a few days ago, do you have any tips on the best place to set up a stall, and how to get the best price for your resources?  My bank is overflowing with crap but I don't want to sell it until I know what the @#$% I'm doing. I think I have 3 silver and I don't even know how I got that...:P

I'm with you though, I can't really think of a crafting system I've liked more than this one.  Vanguard comes close, but even that got boring quick. I love that you don't have to grind out items to progress in AoW.  Makes it way more enjoyable.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

If your into crafting take alook at Vanguard ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Hehe, I like your enthusiasm but simply - No.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    What makes AoW crafting special is not the system itself (even though it has its strong points like the minigame leveling) but rather the context of player interdependance. You can't be self-sufficient and you can't "rule" the market just by undercutting at the AH, since there is none.

Local markets is a great thing - it contributes to the vibrant feeling of the world and the market places makes towns come alive with player activities. I just wish the stalls themselves were better optimized and didn't blink on and off as you try to shop.. : /
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

SWG

Horizons

Eve

Vanguard

Original EQ

All of these happened before WOW, and I think that may have been when you started playing MMOs.  Not that it is your fault, but the games were MUCH better back then....not from a technical standpoint, but from a gameplay/community standpoint.

There is nothin unique about AOW crafting system.  You get a recipe, you create the item.  Just like in every other MMO.  The randomness comes when you get to the item upgrade part....but as anyone can tell you, that is the most frustrating part.  And there is really nothing that exceptional about the upgrade system.

The economy is mostly player created items for armor and weapons/jewelry and everything else is dropped.  Professions need other items from other professions.  Horizons was the same way, so was SWG.

Crafting is only good in AOW because there is no real item loot.  It is all skill books and things like that.  If they put in items as loot, then you can write off a good chunk off the economy.

AOW does several unique things, like it's PVP/anti griefing systems and it's general sandparkiness....but crafting and economy is not one of them. 

It is still a decent game.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by Biskop
    What makes AoW crafting special is not the system itself (even though it has its strong points like the minigame leveling) but rather the context of player interdependance. You can't be self-sufficient and you can't "rule" the market just by undercutting at the AH, since there is none.

Local markets is a great thing - it contributes to the vibrant feeling of the world and the market places makes towns come alive with player activities. I just wish the stalls themselves were better optimized and didn't blink on and off as you try to shop.. : /

press v and access the stalls/marketplace that way. then there is no issues with stalls fading out as you approach.

there is also (albiet seriously flawed) search system for all goods on sale in that zone.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by plescure

However 80% of the game i have still yet to experience because im so addicted to the economy of this game. The crafting/econmy combo is sooo well done. ive probably put 100+ hours into silk farming and i obsessively ensure that my market stall is up and running at all hours possible.  i even found myself logging on at 4am after getting up for a pee just so i could reset my market stall (they stop after 4 hours offline)

The crafting also is unique and complex compared to your standard MMO with mini games that initially sounded a bit cheesy but i now find them very enjoyable.

If becoming a virtual millionaire is your thing i heartily reccomend you take a look

Your right its very good, best thing since SWG.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by plescure

I'm a diehard PVPr. I crafted and sold for a week almost 0 pvp. This game made me question if I was "really" a pvpr. I agree OP.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

SWG

Horizons

Eve

Vanguard

Original EQ

All of these happened before WOW, and I think that may have been when you started playing MMOs.  Not that it is your fault, but the games were MUCH better back then....not from a technical standpoint, but from a gameplay/community standpoint.

There is nothin unique about AOW crafting system.  You get a recipe, you create the item.  Just like in every other MMO.  The randomness comes when you get to the item upgrade part....but as anyone can tell you, that is the most frustrating part.  And there is really nothing that exceptional about the upgrade system.

Incorrect, play more, the crafting system is way way more complex than you claim, and so much better than some you example. Exception being SWG.

The economy is mostly player created items for armor and weapons/jewelry and everything else is dropped.  Professions need other items from other professions.  Horizons was the same way, so was SWG.

Crafting is only good in AOW because there is no real item loot.  It is all skill books and things like that.  If they put in items as loot, then you can write off a good chunk off the economy.

AOW does several unique things, like it's PVP/anti griefing systems and it's general sandparkiness....but crafting and economy is not one of them. 

It is still a decent game.

Originally posted by Sybnal

I just started this game a few days ago, do you have any tips on the best place to set up a stall, and how to get the best price for your resources?  My bank is overflowing with crap but I don't want to sell it until I know what the @#$% I'm doing. I think I have 3 silver and I don't even know how I got that...:P

I'm with you though, I can't really think of a crafting system I've liked more than this one.  Vanguard comes close, but even that got boring quick. I love that you don't have to grind out items to progress in AoW.  Makes it way more enjoyable.

Chengdu is kinda like the trade capital atm. What we are seeing is the game growing. The population has out grown the compacity of Chengdu , it's really hard to get stall space there now. People are spreading out to other cities now. SuZhau seems to be the next major trade hub, also the city just north of Chengdu is doing well. This type of organic moving economy is something I haven't experienced before.  

Talking about the mini games, I'm a calligrapher. I write profession skill XP books amongst other things. It's not a "get the ink, get the paper, press a button" type thing. You have to "write." The better you are at  the mini game,  quicker you write these. When I first started each one took about 20 secs. I can right them on about a 12 sec avg clip now. All the cultural professions seem to be like this. Pretty damn cool imo.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I have.  Here is the AOW crafting system.

Harvest raw materials.  There are nodes for ore, just like in every other MMO.  They are all the same.  One piece of iron is just like another piece of iron.  Smelt ore, or refine whatever raw material you get....just like every other MMO.

Get materials sold only by NPCs....just like every other MMO.  Some of the higher tier items require things made from other professions.  Search market to purchase those.

Make item.  The item you make will be exactly the same as every other item.  The only difference is when you get to the item upgrade process.  That is totally random.  It will require other items as well, some of them might have to be created from items that are deconstructed and then reconstructed. 

The item will say what profession can upgrade it and with what materials.  Now that you have the materials, just find a crafter who has that service listed and viola.  You could get stat upgrades or you could get skill upgrades.  A Dagger will only get skill upgrades that pertain to dagger skills, a sword could get sword skills.  !0% to this, 10% to that.

Hardly what I would call unique or even complex.

There are no gold/jade level recipes as of yet.  Maybe those will add something different to the item construction process, but the foundation will all be the same.  You need other crafting professions to further refine some items.

So don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about, because obviously I do.

SWG had a much more complex crafting system as your final product could vary because of your skill level or your resource quality...something AOW does not have.  Horizons had a bigger overall crafting system. 

Have you even played Vanguard?  In that game you can just be a crafter and have nothing to do with adventuring...you can do that in AOW, but the crafting system is not even close to Vanguard's system.

EVE?  Um....surely you are not saying AOW has a better crafting system than EVE.....obviously you have not played that game.  Ultima Online?  Yea...thought so, you didn't play that one.

What about original EQ, which had no auction house.  Everything was done in GFay or Commonlands.  Please tell me how AOW's off line auction house compares to EQ's 24/7 Online system where zones were packed with players wheeling and dealing.

Do a little more research before you embarass yourself.

I have.  Here is the AOW crafting system.

Harvest raw materials.  There are nodes for ore, just like in every other MMO.  They are all the same.  One piece of iron is just like another piece of iron.  Smelt ore, or refine whatever raw material you get....just like every other MMO.

Get materials sold only by NPCs....just like every other MMO.  Some of the higher tier items require things made from other professions.  Search market to purchase those.

Make item.  The item you make will be exactly the same as every other item.  The only difference is when you get to the item upgrade process.  That is totally random.  It will require other items as well, some of them might have to be created from items that are deconstructed and then reconstructed. 

What you make is depended upon your skill. How proficiant you are. There are no "old" recipies. The better you are the better quality item you will make. 

Yep the gathering is the same except for the fishing, where it's a mini game. 90% (or more) recipies take multiple items for example, to craft a blade you need -

Lead

Copper

Silver 

Gem

Handle - craftsman

Hasp - craftsman

Wood - vendor

When you get these things you do refinement which is another mini game. It allows you to produce the same type of weapon multiple times. 

"Do a little research before you embarass yourself" your words not mine ;)

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Do a little more research before you embarass yourself.

dude, wtf!

i said this game is the best economy/crafting in any mmo that I'VE played.

your comment above is completely invalid and pretty damn rude

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

I tried the crafting in Vanguard and I wasn't impressed. It felt too much like EQ2's boring mini game to me. I must admit that I only gave it about 2 hours, but during that time it just felt boring.

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by bcbully

Yep the gathering is the same except for the fishing, where it's a mini game. 90% (or more) recipies take multiple items for example, to craft a blade you need -

if a mini games is spamming left and right mouse button, than I agree with you.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by legendsolo

if a mini games is spamming left and right mouse button, than I agree with you.

An mmo mini game to me is where you are forced to interact in a process to change/enhance its outcome.

What you make is depended upon your skill. How proficiant you are. There are no "old" recipies. The better you are the better quality item you will make. 

No.

Only way to make better items is to get a better recipe.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

I have enjoyed the crafting in Age Of Wushu. I am still learning how to do some things since it's a new game.

One of my characters is in the Craftsmen profession at the journeyman level now. I see a lot of people looking for the Huangpan hasp that is made by us. Do I need to get this recipe from one of the dungeons? 

Originally posted by Gdemami

No.

Only way to make better items is to get a better recipe.

That's not ture image

A novice blacksmith with the best dagger recipe in game will only make a 2nd tier ( iron quality) dagger that does minimal damage i.g. 8-14 dmg. 

A expert blacksmith will take the same recipe and make a 4th tier weapon (silver quality) with maximum damge 18-24. 

You have things to learn "little brother" image

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Vanguards crafting was terrible and an awful grind, not to mention a cheap knock off of EQ2's which was still better.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Sal1

I have enjoyed the crafting in Age Of Wushu. I am still learning how to do some things since it's a new game.

One of my characters is in the Craftsmen profession at the journeyman level now. I see a lot of people looking for the Huangpan hasp that is made by us. Do I need to get this recipe from one of the dungeons? 

or buy it from one of the stalls

Hasp and handles are essential for tailors and smiths, they can't craft the good stuff without it.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Cool glad you're enjoying the crafting. Nice to see some games focusing on it more.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I like games where the loot economy balances the crafting economy.

Too much on the loot side, crafting is useless. Market is dominated by farmers and gold sellers.

Too far on the crafting side, loot is useless. Market is dominated by uber crafters that gouge prices and rape the market.

As with all things, has to have balance...

Just like in real life - markets have to be regulated. Pure capitalism is pure greed. Most MMO markets are not at all regulated - the only regulation comes from dev controlled scarcity (rarity) but it never does enough to combat inflation and predatory greed (and of course 3rd party currency manipulation.)

Most MMO economies are an afterthought, and those that are not are generally designed to have clear winners and losers and don't care much about fairness or the "average" user experience.

And any game system designed with the 10% (or 1%) in mind is NOT a well designed system.

That's not ture   A novice blacksmith with the best dagger recipe in game will only make a 2nd tier ( iron quality) dagger that does minimal damage i.g. 8-14 dmg.  A expert blacksmith will take the same recipe and make a 4th tier weapon (silver quality) with maximum damge 18-24.  You have things to learn "little brother" 

That's what I said. You need a better recipe...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

The crafting in this game is "nothing special".

SWG, Eve, Vanguard, and even Tales of the Desert (I think that is what it is/was called, I played it so long ago) are/were all significantly better.

I would put it on par with Fallen Earth maybe.

The economy is "crafting centric" as opposed to being loot centric, and that makes crafting more relevant than most games, but it does not make crafting itself any better.

Non-variable stats on materials/finished items and lack of ability to customize anything are big problems.

And further, with the limitations on xp and how crafting and other skills work without the "pills" (i.e. potions) of different types, I predict that the cash shop, when finally implemented will really, really throw a damper on things, and the specter of the dreaded "Asian Grinder" will rear its ugly head. Yet again.